Experiences Which authors/books have influenced your roleplay writing style?

Klaides Tail

借りぐらし
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
The title says authors/books but really, you can include any kind of media which has influenced your role playing writing style!

Perhaps you’ve watched some video essay YouTubers, listened to some podcasts, watched certain animes, played certain games etc. etc.

Is there a certain style you emulate when writing? : )

Alternatively, what books have impacted the way you write your characters or tell your stories? ☺️

I grew up reading lots of Anne of Green Gables, Hunger Games, and recently Outlander, so I feel like my current writing/character archetype is this blend of “emotionally withdrawn female protagonist” + “flowery descriptions of the countryside” + “??? Time travel sometimes” 😂

I've read a lot of Brian Jacques and Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance books when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure those influenced my writing style, though I can never create rhymes or lyrics, or descriptions like Jacques could.

Even though I thoroughly dislike the views of The-Author-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named, I did in fact learn a lot about the craft of writing from reading and re-reading the Harry Potter books.

Hmm when it comes to RP, Idk If I follow a particular writing style. I love to read but I’m usually more relaxed in my RP, and I usually take inspiration from anime or games.

When it comes to my own personal writing, I was heavily inspired by The Thief Lord, it was one of my all time favorite books growing up. Also Artemis Fowl. Anime like Durarara, Baccano, and Persona 5 (game) are a major inspiration for my current project. One Piece influenced me greatly when it comes to writing in general since it is evident how much planning and thought went into the series. His ability to connect plot threads over 1000 chapters, world build, and make that world feel alive apart from the main cast is uncanny. So I go to every project with that mindset now.

Currently reading “The Curse workers” and it is amazing thus far

i've been told by a few people my writing style is reminiscent of terry pratchett's, and my response was "whaaat? noooo," then i read good omens for the first time and was like "holy shit they're right." that might be because grim reapers and apocalyptic horsemen come up in my writing very often though.

i'm not certain where the nuances of my writing style came from, but when it came to genre and themes i would say fablehaven, warehouse 13, welcome to night vale, and old scp were the biggest influences - critters, cryptids, and catastrophes everywhere yet nowhere. i have noticed more recently i've been picking up some stylistic habits from the overlord light novels since i'm reading them, like certain strings of descriptions or phrases i find interesting.

Grew up reading Warrior Cats and Animorphs a lot and still listen (I do mostly audiobooks lately) at times

Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus trilogy and Blastron's english translation of Kumo Desu ga Nani ka?, I feel like these two are the most influental on how I write story in english. Usually a bit whimsical and cartoony and sometimes I write as if I'm writing first person even when I'm writing third person.

Stephen King
Neil Gaiman
Mike Maden
Joe Abercrombie

Three of these authors tend to lend to a sort of "raw" type of writing. I really like how Stephen King tends to depict his settings and characters as very down to earth. And has different types of people throughout his setting. Sometimes it's kids. Sometimes it's adults. Sometimes it's some old, middle aged man. It really lends to a setting that feels alive.

I like Neil Gaiman's bluntness and the sometimes surreal nature in which he writes.

Mike Madden put a tactical format in a way that was a book. He more or less wrote the first book I've read in the Tom Clancy verse. And I've been able to apply some of what he writes to my characters. Particularly the tactical ones.

Joe Abercrombie is good with writing darker characters who feel real as well. He has a wide range of characters he writes and struggles that go with them. Yet he writes dark fantasy in a way that comes across as almost wild and chaotic.

I grew up reading a lot of books. Like I'd go to the library with a tote bag and finish the books I checked out in maybe a week, maybe two weeks if school and life was a bit more busy for me. But I was mostly influenced by those cheesy supernatural stories that were written during the Twilight boom. And also when I got my first ipod touch, I started reading wattpad novels all the time (on top of regular books). I don't know if they all directly influenced me but that's okay. But when I started out writing, I wrote with my best friend and we'd swap a notebook during the school day or whenever we hung out. It was like a physical roleplay. She often mentions to me that us writing so much influenced and helped her writing so much. But lately I gone back to my roots and started reading whatever I could get my hands on. Currently I'm reading Satisfaction Guaranteed by Karelia Stetz-Waters and it has a similar style to my own writing.

Terry Pratchett is my favorite author. I like to include humor and absurd situations in my roleplays.
J.R.R. Tolkien, Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan etc. influenced my love for epic fantasy and massive worldbuilding.
+ an ungodly amount of various YA authors I've been reading over the years (because YA novels are my guilty pleasure), hence the romantic fantasy tropes.

It sort of depends on who I'm reading at the moment - I'll catch myself phrasing things like Martha Wells in Murderbot mode, or having the kind of snarky character internality you'd find in a John Scalzi book. I frequently find myself writing in the kind of comfortable melancholy you'd find from Neil Gaiman, or with the cryptic-Gothic-horror style of Tamsyn Muir.

I definitely have a tendency for the style of "get in, loser, we're going narrating" that you'll find from Ann Leckie. I have ideas that I got from JS Dewes for kinetic, dynamic fight sequences for the next time I write one of those, and I want to try some worldbuilding and description styles that I've noticed NK Jemisin does.

There are authors whose work I enjoy but I don't find myself wanting to borrow style from, who I won't list here. What voice I flatter myself that I have just doesn't really fit with them, so even though I like their books I take active mental steps to avoid borrowing their turns of phrase or style.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back