Where are all the people who don't poof after a three pages of play?

poppet

They say I'm caught up in a dream
Anyone else out there not a poofer and looking for a group? I'm at my wits end with starting group plays that flop after three game hours because people, who promised NOT to poof.... have poofed indefinitely.

What the heck? Any insight on why this happens??

*raises hand* I have been lucky enough to have incredible longevity with my partners. It's really all about finding the right group of people that you both write well with and get along with. I've found a huge part of my roleplaying success has come from the friendships I've built with my partners, not just the story, the writing abilities, or characters. By building friendships with your partners, you build a sense of loyalty and comfort. With that, it's easier to discuss issues with your partner (because every roleplay has issues, like a lull in the story that is boring you, for example).

It takes a lot of effort to find those people and you'll definitely go through lots and lots of flops, but once you find someone cool and worth hanging on to, hang on to 'em! Like any relationship, a roleplay partnership takes commitment and compromise. As for why it happens, it's probably due to real life. For most people, roleplaying is a hobby and hobbies are usually the first to go when a person's life gets stressful. It's common courtesy to let people know you're leaving, of course, but I've found most people don't because they get too wrapped up in what is happening off site (which is acceptable, too. Real life > roleplay life. Always).

Mordecai said:
*raises hand* I have been lucky enough to have incredible longevity with my partners. It's really all about finding the right group of people that you both write well with and get along with. I've found a huge part of my roleplaying success has come from the friendships I've built with my partners, not just the story, the writing abilities, or characters. By building friendships with your partners, you build a sense of loyalty and comfort. With that, it's easier to discuss issues with your partner (because every roleplay has issues, like a lull in the story that is boring you, for example).
It takes a lot of effort to find those people and you'll definitely go through lots and lots of flops, but once you find someone cool and worth hanging on to, hang on to 'em! Like any relationship, a roleplay partnership takes commitment and compromise. As for why it happens, it's probably due to real life. For most people, roleplaying is a hobby and hobbies are usually the first to go when a person's life gets stressful. It's common courtesy to let people know you're leaving, of course, but I've found most people don't because they get too wrapped up in what is happening off site (which is acceptable, too. Real life > roleplay life. Always).
Ah, you're not wrong, but I think the struggle is finding those people in the first place haha

Also to build on what Mordecai said this is a very busy time for people IRL. The end of the school year so that's a lot of finals to get through. The start of the summer work season. Family vacations or just getting to things that maybe you couldn't afford/didn't have time for during the rest of the year.

So that being the case I would encourage people to inform you when they sign up if they have any extended absences planned or real life issues that will get in the way.

Not everyone will volunteer this information but if you give them the appearance of being accepting of them having to go away for a bit you might be surprised how many people do give you a heads up.

Also just build in some down times for the characters as well when you do a group. So say someone is unexpectedly called away well instead of halting the roleplay for this person just say that they had to go off screen or something.

That way if the person never shows up they aren't holding up the story but if they do come back they can just continue where they left off or pick back up with the current storyline.

I've had people do this in groups before where they'll build into the rules the idea that if you dont' respond in a certain period of time your character will be moved off screen. That way it keeps the narrative flowing while allowing for the idea that people might just not be able to post all the time.

I've been playing for almost ten years, and this is definitely not something new to me, lol. I even have long time friends who poof. Also, in my rules, I always make a note that if someone is a poofer, not to even bother. On top of that, I have a post minimum and ask that people let me know when they'll be away. It's always one person, then another, then other people can't post because they're waiting, then days go by and everyone loses interest. That or they realize I'm not a rule enforcer, and don't kick people out, lol. It's the worst. 'Course, I'm new here. So hopefully I'll find a nice group that's into what I am and be set. It kills me when you spend so much time on a play; hours and days perfecting it and your characters, to barely get it off the ground before it dies.

I've been a member of more sites than I can recall to role-play. This. Is. Constant. And not just in my plays. I used to wonder how I could ruin something so bad that people would be so interested as to join and then poof so suddenly. But after looking around I see that it isn't just me. I'm super duper jealous of people who have plays that go on and on and on. Gah, I dunno what I'd give for a roleplay to make it through one whole calendar day (story time). I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, lol.

The larger the group, the harder it is to abide by a strict post order. Settings that allow for flexibility in how people can drop in and out because of unexpected hiatuses require some logistical hurdle-jumping. It's always sad to see a beloved poster vanish for a bit, but there should be a way for everyone to march on without them. Granted, trying to incorporate this loophole isn't always feasible depending on the plot.

I just started here, and Im jealous that the RP I made is unfindable in the fantasy interest.

And I don't poof!! If I can't play I let people know, as my internet can be terrible at times.

Flowiest said:
I just started here, and Im jealous that the RP I made is unfindable in the fantasy interest.
And I don't poof!! If I can't play I let people know, as my internet can be terrible at times.
Your play can't be seen?

It probably got lost between everyone else's, but I searched four pages and couldn't find it aha

Wow! I think things do move really quickly here. Maybe search back a little further. Also, bookmark/subscribe to it next time so that you don't have to search for it each time. (In case you didn't do that already.)

I'm more used to simple RP sites, still getting the hang of this one.. But my word you people have numbers here.. It's just a matter of time before I get the hang of it and join a fandom or another type aha

Ooh, poofers. Yeah, I know about those.

It's disappointing when people disappear suddenly because when one person goes they can drag the whole RP down with them. I try to never poof if I can help it.

Any of you guys interested in trying a RP partnership? I don't really have any on this site yet so it would be awesome to try some pairings .

If I can't salvage my group, I'm going to switch to 1x1's for sure. For now, I don't have time for much else and won't fill my plate. Otherwise I'll end up being a poofer. xD

1x1s are probably the only kind of RP that people don't suddenly disappear from - which is sad, becaus I just... don't like them. Playing pretend in the face of one other person just feels really awkward to me. *sigh* If only people didn't poof from ordinary RPs.

I love group role-plays. Everyone brings something to the table and it doesn't have to be so mapped out that you can legitimately be surprised in turns of events. I've had people poof in 1x1's though, too. And I've been a poofer in them myself. It's hard to say that you're going to end up liking someone else's writing style or ideas for their character, setting, etc. I've dropped some because people didn't pay a lick of attention to detail, and it killed me. xD

Oh gee, I didn't know 1x1s (or ISRPs, whatever you call them) get poofers like that. But then again, I've only ever been in a couple.

Yo, Poppet, we should totally join a RP together one day and commit ourselves not to be poofers. Maybe in the summer, when work and exams are done and the place will be flooded with new RPs...

I'm just going to extend an invitation to check out my RPs, here. I can't speak for other people, but I know that if mine start they tend to survive. It's the first month or so that's rocky. And my assembled player pool is pretty reliable - you can always see what else they're doing.

That said, I probably don't constantly bombard my players with reminders enough.

First month? Role-plays on this site last for more than a month? That's... really cool. I've RPed before, but on some sites aimed mostly at kids aged 10-15. There were only about four boards and none of the RPs ever took off, let alone lasted more than a week.

I feel like I'm going to really enjoy my stay here... And I'll have a look at those threads if I can find the URLs. Have you got a link?

Awesome, Grey!

Dapper, you're welcome to check out my group in my signature, too. ^_^ I think we're going to remove the no posters today or tomorrow and start a new day/fresh.

I think mine was almost bound to fail since there are so many people here, and I only know one of them, lol. So I couldn't exactly invite dedicated friends that I knew. Too bad though, it could have been great. I'm still hoping it can be once we weed out the poofers. I'm not really up for playing anything else unless it dies. But then I think I'll probably search out a 1x1.

poppet said:
Anyone else out there not a poofer and looking for a group? I'm at my wits end with starting group plays that flop after three game hours because people, who promised NOT to poof.... have poofed indefinitely.
What the heck? Any insight on why this happens??
I suppose it depends. Maybe it's your writing style? It might also help to put up more than one rp forum. I've got some ideas you could use if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back