When fate collides

Macaberz

That's just like your opinion man
Closed to @jade162

Rafael looked down on the smouldering remains of Hastings from atop his horse. It had taken him and his army a whole week to sap and breach the walls, and though they had suffered losses, the earth still quaked whenever his forces marched by. From the atop the hill, the once great city looked so small, so insignificant.

"Sire!"

Rafael turned his horse around and wiped the troubled look off his face. Garmund, his loyal advisor came galloping towards him, his blue cape billowing in the wind.

"Sire, we must halt the column immediately!"

The blood splatters on Rafael's face warped into a frown. "Why?"

Garmund came to a halt beside him, dismissed the two tall bodyguards at Rafael's side and beckoned him to move in closer. "There might be an ambush up ahead, there is a rebel town not far from here, perhaps we-"

Rafael raised his hand and silenced the veteran. If the man's moustache grew a hair for every man he'd killed, he was still short on hairs, and his moustache was rather large. "Thank you Garmund," Rafael replied calmly. He motioned for a squire to come over. "Send the signal to suspend the march, and bring me a cohort."

Accompanied by Garmund and fourty other riders by his side, all dressed in the blue tunics and silver armour, they rode towards to the small town of Faron, a good five miles away from their main force.

"You shouldn't go, sire," Garmund had said, but Rafael had ignored him. Emperor or not, he couldn't send other people into hell without going there himself. And hell awaited them. Just a few paces outside of the town an arrow whizzed past him and a second one killed his horse. With a deafening smack he was pulled off his horse and thrown to the ground. His assailant was only armed with a club, and his slender, short build betrayed that he was not beyond fifteen years of age. Just as he was about to bring his primitive weapon down on Rafael, he gurgled as a blade pierced him from behind. Garmund kicked the useless body to the ground and helped his King up.

"We're surrounded," he breathed. Rafael grimaced, pulled out his sword and countered the incoming blow from an axe-wielding brute.

"There he is! Kill him! Kill the Emperor!"

A arrow splashed in the dirt a few inches beside him. Rafael found the owner a few feet away, hiding behind a tree. Without a second thought he charged, took the man by surprise and slashed his throat. It didn't take very long for his men to dispose of the rest of the ill-equipped farmers and other lowlifes.

They captured two young boys who were trying to flee. Both had light blonde hair, and their faces were similar beyond the scowl they send up at him. Two soldiers were holding them down on their knees whilst a third made some pathetic attempts at interrogating them.

"Stop that," Rafael commanded as the soldier was about to kick one of the boys in the face. "Now then," he kneeled before the two youngsters, "what are your names?"

The two exchanged a look but neither answered. "He asked you a question," the soldier to the side hissed through clenched teeth. "And you'd do well to answer him."

"That's enough, thank you Harold," Rafael intervened sharply. He was about to ask another question when he spotted a lone figure in the meadows, just outside the town, and a few yards away from the tree line that meandered through the countryside.

In a flash, he was on his horse and galloping straight towards the figure, perhaps it was another rebels survivor. He held his blade loosely in his hand, ready to cut off a head, but then he saw it was a girl. Relieved, he slowed his pace, jumped off his horse and closed the few feet between them. Blinking, he tried to figure out of she was real or not. Her hair was a pretty blonde, with tempting curls, and he almost dropped his sword as he gawked at her. Then, he reminded himself she could be an enemy. "Who are you?" He demanded as he pressed the tip of his sword underneath her throat. "A rebel spy?"

Eliana had wandered out again, further then she was supposed to, but of course she never thought much of it. So she wasn't aware of the commotion that was going on, instead trying to lure a brown rabbit close enough to pet. "Come on," She cooed softly to it in a voice as smooth and soft as silk, soothing with a nice tone to the ear, most definitely pleasant to hear, for sure. The rabbit took a step closer.

"A little closer," She cooed again, holding out her hand where she'd kept it, smiling softly. The rabbit creeped closer, this time enough to gently nudge it's head against her hand, before dashing back into the nearest woods, which was only a few yards away from where she was. Giggling softly to herself, Eliana then stood, and was about to start looking around for more herds to collect, mainly simply looking for taste ones that would assist in cooking. But she paused, hearing the sound of hoof beats, most likely a horse galloping.

Leisurely she had turned to see what exactly the sound might've been coming from exactly, but by then there was already a man standing there, who she gave a questioning look while gazing over him, looking for something, but her eyes froze at the sword, which was soon pressed against her throat.

"I-I'm no spy sir," She insisted, not being able to help but stutter, too afraid to move with fear easily being in her brilliant green eyes. "I was s-simply collecting herbs, sir," She continued eyes on the blade of the sword that was against her throat rather than the man before her, desperately wishing, that for once, she would've listened to her father, that she would've stayed near the town, where she easily could've simply hid.

"I was s-simply collecting herbs, sir,"

Rafael's gaze dropped to the collection of herbs at the girl's feet. If she was lying, at least part of her lie was based on the truth. He almost retreated his blade, but thought better of it. "You could still be a spy," he returned sharply. Still, the surprise with which she had reacted informed him that wasn't the case, perhaps he should stay his blade this time...

No! Mercy was for the weak! And in a war, he couldn't take any risks.

The tip of his blade found it's way up her throat and underneath her chin. It was still stained with rebel blood, and yearned for more. And yet, something made him hold back, an uneasy knot in his gut made him hesitate. When his mind realised the girl's potential use, it latched onto it and forced his hand to lower his sword and sheathe it. He cocked his head slightly, his gaze trailed into the distance. The blood-red sun was half-way through its descend and caught the rolling hills in an eerie spring light. From a speck in the distance came the tolling of bells. He whistled between his teeth, she was a luckily girl to live in such a peaceful town. Or at least, it had been peaceful, until he and his army had arrived. At long last, he tore his gaze from the horizon and gave the girl a resolute look.

"My men and I were just assaulted and we captured two boys. Blonde, greasy hair, dirty fingernails, one's a bit taller than the other, they might be brothers. Do you know them?"

Last edited by a moderator:
"But I-I'm not a spy, sir," Eliana insisted once more, only to quickly tense up further as the tip of this man's blade soon had found it's way under her chin, where she tilted her head up slightly in an attempt to escape the sharp point of the blade, easily being able to simply smell what blood was on it, and see what blood stained it.

She closed her eyes tightly then, thinking she'd be killed, but when she heard the sound of his sword being sheathed, she quickly opened her eyes again, puzzled over why she hadn't just been killed by this man before her. Was he not a ruthless murderer? His sword was stained enough to seem so.

Eliana then listened to this man speak, and wasn't sure if she should nod or shake her head, tell the truth or lie. She was afraid that f she answered, she might end up getting them killed. "I... I'm not sure.." She answered, nervously glancing towards the outskirts of the town that wasn't too far off. "So, I'm afraid I can't help you sir," She bent down to pick up the herbs that had been laid at her feet, taking them into her delicate looking hands before standing back up, and moving to walk right past this man, and hoping that nothing would happen, though this small action taking all the bravery she had to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
"So, I'm afraid I can't help you sir,"

Rafael chuckled. It was a relief, he hadn't let his guard down so easily before. He straightened his back in an attempt to regain his composure, but couldn't keep another chuckle down. "Perhaps if you see them," he said in a way more akin to command than a question. The ground trembled slightly as six horses appeared from the tree line and turned to head their way. Rafael recognised Garmund immediately, it was truly admirable how to second in command worried that he might be beaten by a helpless girl.

"Are you alright sire?" Garmund called from afar.

"More than alright!" he replied.

Within a minute the horsemen had reached them, one guard dismounted immediately and made a move to capture the girl.

He intervened. "That won't be necessary."

"Who is she?" Garmund asked.

"No idea," Rafael muttered, "but she might be able to identify the boys."

"Must you really know who they are? Countless nameless died in the siege today. You didn't ask for their names..."

"I insist."

They brought her before the two boys, and one immediately spilled his secret. "Elaine!" He called out before his older brother jammed his elbow into his brother's side.

"Shut up you idiot!" the oldest scolded.

"Ah, so you are acquainted," Rafael smirked. His gaze settled on the younger boy, he looked to be thirteen at most and the fear seeped through the cracks of dried mud that covered part of his face. "What's your name boy?"

The lad shook his head vigorously and was struggling to hold back his tears. "Well, Elaine, it seems you're going to have to tell me," Rafael began as he stepped over a dead body an approached her. "Who are they?"

Eliana immediately was brought to attention at the six horses that came into view- Their way. She was too afraid to run, really, and even more afraid that she simply wouldn't be able to get very far, and that she might get killed in the process if she were to run. When one of the men whom had come on one of the horses moved to seemingly grab her to capture her, she looked about ready to protest and quickly move away, but the man whom seemed in charge already spoke.

"That won't be necessary."

Anyhow, she was taken to where these two boys were, and she felt as though her heart had just dropped to her stomach. She recognized them immediately. And it was evident that they'd recognized her, too, from Arthur's outburst of her name. They're scared.. She thought to herself, seeing it easiest from Arthur. Naturally she simply wanted to soothe the young boy, but stood where she was, gaze on the ground and refusing to look at either of the boys, afraid she'd give away that she knew them.

Her gaze moved to the man again though as he had approached her, before quickly moving to the ground again, seeming to try and hide beneath her long hair. She was still mentally arguing with herself, trying to figure out why this man would want to know, and if he did, what he'd do to the two boys. She was mainly afraid that if she told him, they'd be killed after, or that if she didn't, then they'd still be killed. So, she wasn't quite sure what she should do- And she was never one for stressful situations.

"Why do you want to know?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"Oh, it is just my manners really," he explained, though it wasn't exactly true. "Lets just put it this way, they attacked me, they were out to kill me, as were all of them." He gestured around the broad path, bodies littered the ground, only two of which wore blue capes. "I need names because I want to know who is behind this plot, so justice can be served upon him." He paused for a moment, then clapped his hands together, "wouldn't you rather break the silence with reasonable words rather than screams?" He asked of the three prisoners.

"I'd love to hear your death rattle," the older boy snapped. Garmund promptly boxed the boy's ears, and though Rafael flinched at the smack, he didn't command Garmund to stop.

"I say," Garmund began, "we cut their throats and be done with it, we are wasting valuable time, Sire."

Eliana would've glared towards this man, but being as gentle as she was, she couldn't muster one, and even jumped slightly at his clap when putting his hands together. She very nearly scowled at William, the older brother, for saying what he had, but cringed instead as she watched another man box William's ears.

"we cut their throats and be done with it, we are wasting valuable time, Sire."

"Please!" She abruptly very nearly shouted, which was strange for her voice was always soft, almost a whisper each time she did soft, no louder then a coo as one would give to a child. "Don't kill them, and I'll tell you, okay?" She insisted, willing to do very nearly anything if she could sparse the two boys lives, even if it would mean giving her own. That was simply because of how good natured she was- One life to save too, it didn't seem too bad.

"Don't kill them, and I'll tell you, okay?"

Rafael turned to face the girl. "Very well. What are their names?" He noticed the utter despair on Eliana's face. "Have no fear, I won't hurt them if you co-operate. I promise." At his side, Garmund shifted his weight uneasily, they were wasting their time on three youngsters, why? When Rafael had set out to purge Anthium of it's barbaric tribes, he hadn't mentioned anything about pointless delays...

"Sir, we really need to get a move on, the army-"

"Ssh!" Rafael hissed, he didn't want the two young rebels to know that he had his army nearby.

Eliana just stood there for a moment, trying to figure out if this man was actually telling the truth or not. Some part felt like he was lying.. But.. There wasn't any better option. "The taller one, is William." She started, though not looking at either boys still. "The younger one is Arthur." She nervously would glance at the man from the edge of her vision but never look at anyone that was there fully, just itching to leave, and go back home. If she ever got there, she surely wasn't leaving the outskirts of town any time soon after this happened.

"Is that good enough?" She questioned the man there, hoping that he wouldn't ask for any other information, though she most likely would know it anyways.

William scowled at Eliana for giving him away and Arthur was weeping bitterly at his side. Garmund let out a sigh of relief, unsheathed his dagger and reached the older brother with one, big, step. But Rafael put his arm between the seasoned commander and the rebel boy. "We're taking them as prisoners."

Garmund clenched his teeth, "why? It's an extra trouble and if they escape..."

"Then make sure they don't."

He gave a firm nod, motioned for some of the soldiers and within a minute the two boys were tied up and mounted on a horse each, with a soldier sitting behind them. "The girl is coming too," Rafael instructed, he turned to face her again. "What's your name?"

Eliana cringed slightly at the scowl she got from William, and she so badly wanted to comfort young Arthur, but was afraid to move from the spot where she stood. Yet as she watched a man unsheathe his dagger and move towards William, she was about to yell something out again but the man in charge spoke again.

"We're taking them as prisoners."

She audibly let out a sigh of relief, but quickly tried quietening it while it was slipping out past her lips as if she had done something bad. Eliana simply watched as William and Arthur were tied up and mounted on a horse with a soldier behind each. She swallowed slightly hard to herself, but was utterly relieved that the two boys hadn't been killed, after all.

"The girl is coming too,"

She felt as though her heart dropped to her stomach at this. And when she was asked her name, she simply choked out, "Eliana."

"Very well," Rafael said, then gave a sharp nod and had Eliana tied up as well. He mounted his own horse, moved over to Garmund and turned around a few seconds later. Only five of the fourty or so horsemen they had brought accompanied him back to their main army. Garmund departed in the direction of the meadow, with a good two dozen men after him. Their swords were drawn. William and Arthur remained silent, and Rafael pitied them for a second, but then moved on.

Thirty minutes later, the group rejoined the main army. Aside from a few smoldering fires, and the scent of overturned soil, there wasn't much that betrayed the presence of the army. But when they zig-zagged down a hill, the size of it became painstakingly clear. Like statues, the men stood, as if they hadn't moved an inch since Rafael had left for the nearby town. He wondered if the deed had already been done. It probably had. All towns and cities he had marched on so far had made their choice pretty quickly. Surrender, or be slaughtered, those were the options.

They rode to one of the few remaining tents of the military encampement and dismounted before it. Four tall, big-shouldered soldiers rushed in to help the prisoners out of the saddle and bring them away.

"Take the boys, treat them well. Leave the girl," Rafael commanded as he hopped off his horse and entered his tent. For an Emperor, it was rather devoid of niceties and adornments. Save for a few rugs, banners, a oaken table, a bed and two piles of cushions, there wasn't much of value inside. Flanked by two guards, Eliana was more or less dragged inside. Rafael overturned a few maps and made a space at the table for himself, then dismissed the guards.

His eyes trailed after the two men, knowing they would if he snapped his finger. Finally, he stared at Eliana, and allowed his grey eyes to dip into a look of melancholy before breaking the silence. "Sit." When she had taken the place opposite to him, he leaned forward and kept his gaze fixed on her eyes, as if he was trying to pry into her soul. "Do you know who I am?"

(Had to Godmod her sitting down or the effect would've been lost. I hope you understand).

(No worries! ^^)

Eliana had no hopes of struggling when she was tied up just the same. Therefore, she didn't try in the least. She was weak, with a frail body. Or at least, that's what it seemed, and she knew she wasn't stronger then any man, unless he'd be a dying one. During the ride, to wherever it was they were heading, she was silent though, her green eyes fixated on the ground, staring intently as if she would learn something from doing this, or that something of a miracle would happen if she started long enough.

By the time the thirty minutes had passed she nearly dozed off from the rhythm of the horse's walking, but immediately was alert at the sight of what was.. What must've been.. An army. She'd never seen such a big group of men standing all together, and her eyes grew wide for a moment. She knew not of wars, nor of anything that would've been going on, just because her father never told her, nor had he ever told her mother. And if her mother did, then she was never told a thing.

"Leave the girl,"

She felt as if her heart dropped again, and tensed up considerably as she moved into a tent of sorts. In all truth, Eliana would've stood there by the entrance, nervously keeping her eyes on the floor, but she heard what she easily took as a command to sit. She quickly shuffled to take her seat before this man, now trembling beneath his gaze in her fear.

"N-No, sir." She answered just barely above a whisper, not daring to even have their gazes meet from a glance, her eyes glued to the floor.

"N-No, sir."

"That makes two of us." For once, he allowed himself to be a human instead of a General. "Hey, no one is going to hurt you or the boys, I promise." He stood up from his chair, walked around the table to her side and gently lifted her tied hands. Careful not to hurt her, he cut the ropes that held her hands together and then sheathed his dagger. "Your wrists may burn a bit. That's normal," he said in his casual voice.

He plopped back down on his seat, rested his chin on his clasped hands and studied her. "I am Rafael. I command this army, and many more. Those boys and the men they were with, they oppose me. They'd rather have that a few barbarian Kings and self-proclaimed rulers be able to live in gluttony whilst they can feed off the scraps. I am here to pull that straight." He sighed. "The people don't know what's good for them."

Eliana cautiously watched as this man walked to her, and she cringed slightly while the ropes were cut that had bound her wrists together, a light burning pain to them, she knew had occurred from the rope rubbing against her skin, or at least she was going to assume, since that was the most logical reasoning in her head.

Her eyes followed him as he went to sit back down on his seat, and kept eye contact with him for a raging whole minute before she had to avert her gaze some place else. Down seemed the easiest. "Killing people isn't 'good for them'.." She dared to retort in no more then a whisper again, nervously shifting slightly where she was sitting for a moment, lightly rubbing at her wrists.

"Killing people isn't 'good for them'.."

"Not for them no, but for others, yes." He looked to the side, contemplating some issue before returning his gaze to her. "I don't like killing people Eliana, that's why I am fighting this war." He paused for a moment, "I am purging this land of evil, of lawless barbarians. And yet, people resist. You, those boys...Why?"

Before she could answer, a shadow entered the tent. It was Garmund. His face was sweaty and he carried his helmet underneath his arm. "It's as you feared laddie," he began, completely unaware of Eliana's presence. The second-in-command grimaced, "they resisted, put up a hell of a fight too. We lost ten men but couldn't carry all of them back so we burned them there, along with the rebels."

Rafael nodded quietly, "I am sorry for your loss," he said to Eliana. Garmund froze, then softened up. even he could understand it wasn't easy for any girl to hear her village had just been burned to the ground. "We made their deaths quick," he said in an attempt to be reassuring.

Eliana was about to reply when the same man she recalled from before walked in, and she immediately shut her mouth again before any words made it out, her gaze trained on him instead, listening intently to what he had to say. At first it didn't appear evident to her as to what they were speaking about, and she tilted her head slightly to the side, wondering if they were speaking of some nearby village. So it wasn't until he heard Rafael's comment towards her that it clicked.

"I am sorry for your loss,"

She didn't react for the longest minute. What...? She questioned in her head, after a long minute repeating aloud in a barely audible tone, ".. What..?" They didn't mean, her village, right? Why else would Rafael had said that towards her? She glanced around the tent, as if to look for anyone else that he might've been saying that 'sorry' towards. As far as she could tell, there wasn't another.

The tears that welled in her eyes looked out of place against her features, like a strange and unnatural thing. "You're a horrid man!" She shouted at him after standing, the loudest she could ever recall her voice getting, let alone the anger that was infused within it, that, too, sounding strange with how soft and smooth her voice seemed.

She headed for the entrance of the tent as tears rolled down her cheeks, snapping at the man that had walked in, "Move!" Of course some part of her didn't expect the man to move. If anything, she looked now like a lost sobbing child who had been left at the market, unknowing of how to find their way home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back