What's your muse like?

Moonstone

Thought this might be an interesting discussion. In the book I'm reading, the one characters wrote a story in which a horror writer finds out her muse is a troll-like-thing that lives in her closet. It kind of got me thinking about how, while the normal image of muse is a beautiful woman or an angel-like-presence, there are some wonderful works that could never be inspired by an angel. What do you guys think, based on your own writing styles?

Personally, I think mine suffers from split personalities. I can write these beautiful, meaningful poems one day, and then a really freaky horror story the next(*gasp* or maybe Poe's ghost is my muse! :o ). Plus, I have a lot of characters with multiple personalities floating around in my head. I'm pretty sure she(my metaphorical muse) is sadistic, looking at some of the horrors I've written, and hates romance, since I'm a hopeless romantic but can't have any romance with a happy ending, unless it involves someone who the heroine should never in a billion years have fallen in love with. As for what she looks like, I can't begin to imagine. Black hair, maybe, since I can't seem to shake that phase? *shrugs*

My muse is likely some kind of freedom fighter or revolutionary, since most of the ideas I get surround post-apocalypse or dystopian settings and changing the status quo. But also she possibly has ADHD cause I can never stick with one thing long enough to finish it.

Mine must have a split personality of sorts too... Sometimes I write medieval fantasy (often dark fantasy), and occasionally I have ideas for dystopian stuff. Also, in all of my fantasy writings is at least one bard, and always an elf or half elf... So maybe that's her?

And I agree with Ink Knight's idea on ADHD... I also have trouble sticking with one thing.... for example, I'm writing five or six short stories right now.

Wonderful discussion question Moonstone. I enjoyed reading about what you wrote about yours =). Very cool! I had to sit for a bit and think about this one. What I came up with surprised me!

gymnast-balance-5184x3456-wallpaper-2228847.jpg

Based on my writing style, I'd have to say my muse is something like a gymnast on a balance-beam. Occasionally she does a dangerous flip, but most of the time she is careful and controlled; stringing together a series of moves to put on a beautiful show. It's funny xD . I actually re-read what I write out loud and remove/add words if I find there are too many/too little syllables.

I imagine her as a master on the beam, that gets real nervous as soon as she steps off. My muse is thin, tall, with black hair and a pixie-cut.

That was fun. Again, excellent question Moon!

Edit: Just noticed the date of the thread (-n-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back