What NOT To Do In A Roleplay (A Guide of the Most Annoying Roleplay Mistakes)

Thank you so much for writing these tips. I am not new to RP, have been an RPer since 1998, But I still get lost on some of the jargon out there with the RP world.

i think that is true i tried my best not to be like that as in a mary-sue back then but now that i understand i would try my best not to do it cause if their are people like that i don't want to be that kind of person i am starting to Hate mary-sues now because Well Yeahh i know i used to be one but i am going to start to make a changed but its because i used to be so involved in myself and used to call myself a princess but Why not :P

Wouldn't a reasonable time to reply be at least like... one day? One week, tops? I can't really say much, because I'm online every single day since I've signed up on Tuesday or Wednesday (can't keep track because I forgot).

I apologize, but you lost me at how much you have to post or "one-liners."

I have word selection problems (a disability where I struggle with words and especially a certain amount of words in stories/essays/posts etc. I either give way too little or way too much. It becomes a struggle for me and a massive headache. If I try to make the limit, I go insane trying to figure out what to type or remove. It's no more fun.) and can't even tell you how many times I've been rejected from RP's, can't join, been told to not start a 1x1 because I can't post enough, etc... To make this a very sour issue with me.

I have wonderful ideas, hell, my friends say that I'm massively creative and make original ideas out of barely anything. But because my brain works differently and I struggle to write more than most people I get rejected and it hurts a lot of the time, especially when someone leaves as soon as I post my idea because I was born with the disability. Most don't even say why, I've explained and posted this in my threads now with the same results.

I understand that people need "things to work from", but I have worked with people who post a sentence to five paragraphs with no complaints. And I've also been screamed at, insulted and called names the same way for the same thing. I know people want it, but a lot of people don't seem to understand that some people CAN'T and either judge them or outright reject them as soon as they find out.

I'm sorry for the rant, but this is probably the most painful and angering thing for me in rp'ing because I have a disability that causes other people to judge me for my post length instead of my ideas.

Honestly... there isn't really any one way that works for everyone. This is why roleplaying is so universal. This is also why we have different genres and levels of expertise. To say "don't do this"... well, it just doesn't really work when the idea of roleplaying is to find what works for you and enjoy it :) Apart from the rules established on the site, and the rules established by a GM, there ARE no rules. Are one liners your thing? You'll find plenty of RPers who are cozy with them. Prefer writing small novels each time? There's a crowd for that as well.

Cliches are impossible to avoid - since there is nothing new under the sun. But they CAN be written well. The only thing I do agree, to an extent, doesn't belong in RPing is godmodding - though in reality even this can be handled in a way that works, provided the GM understands it. Maybe altering the idea of "what not to do" into "how to do it well" is a better concept?

That's just my two cents... I feel the same way about when people say "don't write this" or "don't use these tropes". Rules are generally made to avoid a break down of order... not impose subjective opinion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back