What NOT To Do In A Roleplay (A Guide of the Most Annoying Roleplay Mistakes)

Komaeda

Hello there! Everyone tells you about what you should do, but does everyone really get into the things you should avoid? Not that I've seen at least. Roleplays list in their guidelines things like "No Mary-Sues" or "No Godmodding", but to those who have just started Roleplaying, that's like a foreign language. Not anymore. I will explain what the top roleplay mistakes are and how to avoid them.

First off, I will get into Mary Sues. This should be a fairly familiar term if you're into Roleplaying/fanfictions already. A Mary Sue is a character that is perfect in every way. Flawless appearance, flawless personality, knows every secret and is everyone's God/Godess. They make some readers want to throw up in their mouth, and are frowned upon in general. Here's a little tip, if you suspect your character is a Mary Sue, picture them as a real life person, a friend, classmate, whatever. Do they fit in like everyone else in terms of personality and background? If they stand out a little too much you may want to fix some things. Additionally, don't lean the other way and have too many flawed aspects. Try to keep their strengths and weaknesses even. For example, Person A may be very strong but is unable to talk to anyone without panicing, and Person B may be athletic and musical, but her grades may struggle. This is an example of balanced. Here's unbalanced: Person C is good at music, art, drama, and sports. He gets straight A's and has all the girls falling for him. With shiny bright teeth and perfect hair he can't be beat. That is exactly what a Mary Sue is. Your friendly neighborhood GM may have other guidelines too so talk to them.

Next up is "citrus fest", as I call it. This may not be a problem on RPNation due to the content rating, but otherwise it is so I will vaguely address it. Citrus fest is basically when two characters meet and fall in love in 5 minutes, and are banging by the end of the night. That's not how romance works, and it probably drives everyone else crazy. An actual romance would take much longer to form, and definitely would be cleaner for longer. Use your own judgement here, is all I can really say.

Next up, one liners. You can get away with them in chat roleplays but typically they are otherwise a big no-no. Sometimes it can't be helped that you don't have much to say, but you should always have at least 6-8 sentences. If you're stumped, try describing the setting you're at or have a character make a certain motion of gesture (such as stretching or looking around). It may be filler, but it adds on. A one liner doesn't leave much room for ideas.

There is also a flip side to this. In Roleplay, there is such thing as writing too much. Depending on your Roleplay there is an expected range. I specialize in paragraph to multiparagraph. These two categories together range from 8 sentences to 4-5 paragraphs. Try not to go overboard and write too much more, unless you're an extremely detailed person. If you have 10 paragraphs in one post with one character involved only, you might as well be writing a book. You've probably left at least 1 opening that got closed due to other characters being able to jump in. The rule of thumb here is, give enough writing for idea flow, but leave enough for other players.

The last thing I will go over is God modding/ power playing. These are both very common terms and you will see them a lot, so it's very important to know what they mean. Godmodding is, in a nutshell, taking control of a character that isn't your own without permission. There are a few examples. One is: Person A asked Person B "What is your favorite color?" Person B replies "I like yellow." The person playing Person B had no chance to react. The first bit was fine but it should have ended at the question mark. The more common example is Person A punched Person B in the nose, knocking him out. Once again, Person B has no time to react. A correct way to word it may be Person A swung a punch at Person B's nose. This way, Person B has time to react saying whether he was hit or he dodged, or even hit Person A.

Now, Powerplaying. This is really only an issue in roleplays that involve a lot of action or combat. Powerplaying is when your character has OP God-like powers, dodges every hit, is immortal, and never gets hit. Your friendly neighborhood GM will classify what is "OP" but the rule of thumb is basically the same. There is nothing wrong with not taking a hit, or having powers. Once again though, keep it balanced.

Well, I hope I helped you guys out. Enjoy my tutorial of sorts!

Also, if I may add,

This is similar on the second one and to metagaming - suddenly knows the character's secret or an information OOC is used in IC roleplay for his own gain. This is a pet peeve one of mine and it is a MUST NOT, especially thrilling, adventure roleplay. First example is, Person 1's secret is she is secretly a mermaid, and person 2 is a human. After a few seconds of talking to person 1, person 2 suspects person 1 is a mermaid despite that she didn't do anything suspicious or something that can trigger curiosity. How? Why? What? Second example: in the plot, A is doppelganger of someone B personally knows. However, when they first meet, the two doesn't know anything about this information. On the roleplay, A meets B and then B suddenly recognizes and says "You're a doppelganger of ___!"

Second, making your own place in the roleplay or basically his own plot in the roleplay (this is much different than suggestions) without consulting the GM. Example, the plot clearly states that A and B goes to the same school and they are enemies. In the roleplay, A is in the school while B is at his house because apparently, he hates school and skip classes. Excuse me? Sure, okay that can pass but how will you interact with the other character? She just can't barge in in your house for no reason!

Third, realistic reactions. I just close my eyes and mentally shout curses behind the computer screen whenever I see this. Example, A just stabbed and snapped B's neck. C, who is a human, just stands there and appears to not be affected of what suddenly happened. Uh okay? You're not going to think how the A snapped B's neck? Second example, A put on a spell on herself where if someone touches her, they would burn. B, unaware of this, goes to A and touches her but appears to be unaffected. Lol you're not some god who can avoid that !!

Uh.. Well that's just what I can think of now... And they all happened to me and gave me headache. Ugh.

Those are really good, thank you. The third one is similar to powerplaying (never taking a hit), as for the second one that depends. It may pass in larger groups but you're probably referring to one on ones, in which case, yea, that never works. In theater class, we learned about improv, and the first rule is "Don't say no" While in RP, you can obviously say no but you have to add something that can provide interaction, otherwise it's the same thing.

Great tipps :)

Just one thing about the one-liners... it might be a bit unfair for all the newbies to tell them that they're not okay at all. It takes a lot of practice until someone's able to dig into his character so deeply that he can always avoid them... to me, it rather depends on how you write them. If you just state that A sits there, I can't work with it. But if A asks a question, or you make something suddenly happen, or... that can also give me ideas.

Yea, I was gonna add details to that but my keyboard started lagging. I'll edit it after school.

It really depends, but I will always prefer a one liner to some bullshit filler if there's really nothing else for the character to do. I don't need to hear about your characters eye colour again or the clothes they're wearing, for example, if those have already been stated, so forcing me to read that sort of stuff because there's nothing else for you to write about is annoying.

That said, if you find yourself writing constant one-liners you might want to consider if your character is helping to move the story along or just standing around waiting for things to happen.

Hi, I'm new here and wanted to add something to this little guide. This might not be the sagest of advice, and feel free to disagree with me on it, but here goes:

I think people with a certain kind of roleplaying experience tend to play their characters in such a way their personal feelings can get hurt in real life. This usually happens when a player is too emotionally invested. The line dividing the perfect amount from too much is very blurry, because being emotionally invested in things is generally supposed to make them better, right? But sometimes it doesn't.

So I think having a bit of... insulation (almost went with saran wrap), between you and your character. Maybe keep it in mind at first, but if it keeps happening to you, the getting too invested thing, maybe do something overt like create/choose a character that has a different opinion than you on something that can keep you grounded.

I think most newbies accidentally manage to avoid this problem because they're still finding their feet as they start, but it's a bit of advice I wish I had heard back when I first started and then later on as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with your tips and they all make sense. It's slightly annoying when people fall in love too quickly. I've also had a few instances where people would control the fight and my character has no time to react. These are good things to know when beginning with roleplaying.

Komaeda said:
There is also a flip side to this. In Roleplay, there is such thing as writing too much. Depending on your Roleplay there is an expected range. I specialize in paragraph to multiparagraph. These two categories together range from 8 sentences to 4-5 paragraphs. Try not to go overboard and write too much more, unless you're an extremely detailed person. If you have 10 paragraphs in one post with one character involved only, you might as well be writing a book. You've probably left at least 1 opening that got closed due to other characters being able to jump in. The rule of thumb here is, give enough writing for idea flow, but leave enough for other players.
This was posted a good while ago but I was reading through some of the threads and just, this. This really stuck out to me and I really appreciate that I am not the only one that thinks sometimes, you can write too much, haha.

I really think people should check out this guide, because once I was doing a hunger games roleplay, and some dude just slit my throat, and I just sat there, fuming, as no one said anything, also, I was a noob at the time, so I had no idea what to do.

awesome tips ^ ^ lol by the end though my brain was thinking Person A had punched Person B, gone to school then shown up at B's house and just stabbed and snapped B's neck. > u<

I'd like to point out you've mixed up God-Mode and Power-play. God-Mode is when a character is immune to everything; dodging attacks, absorbing status effects. Hence, the name God-Mode.

Power-play is when you voluntarily take control of another person's character to do, well what you want. Power-play can be combined with fighting to create God-Mode. Power-play is also known as bunny-ing; context of emotional/non-attack style decision.

I also believe people should try to go outside the box with their character's history. In almost every roleplay I join, there is at least one character that has a tragic history, and it's so cliché it makes me want to throw up in my mouth. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it if you have some originality about it. I'm just trying to say that not every person has such a tragic past. Yeah...

[QUOTE="The Wizard of Odd]I also believe people should try to go outside the box with their character's history. In almost every roleplay I join, there is at least one character that has a tragic history, and it's so cliché it makes me want to throw up in my mouth. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it if you have some originality about it. I'm just trying to say that not every person has such a tragic past. Yeah...

[/QUOTE]
I absolutely agree with this. Whenever I see a very angsty/edgy backstory, it just feels very unnatural and being just 'there' to be something for the character to complain about.

[QUOTE="The Wizard of Odd]I also believe people should try to go outside the box with their character's history. In almost every roleplay I join, there is at least one character that has a tragic history, and it's so cliché it makes me want to throw up in my mouth. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it if you have some originality about it. I'm just trying to say that not every person has such a tragic past. Yeah...

[/QUOTE]
What do you think then about people with happy backgrounds? Personally, I've had a pretty easy life and its hard for me personally to writer about tragic characters. But when does a happy or nutral background become 'a mary-sue perfect life'?

[QUOTE="Jaded Jinx]What do you think then about people with happy backgrounds? Personally, I've had a pretty easy life and its hard for me personally to writer about tragic characters. But when does a happy or nutral background become 'a mary-sue perfect life'?

[/QUOTE]
It doesn't unless everything has gone positively in every sort of way possible.

Obsessed said:
Also, if I may add,
This is similar on the second one and to metagaming - suddenly knows the character's secret or an information OOC is used in IC roleplay for his own gain. This is a pet peeve one of mine and it is a MUST NOT, especially thrilling, adventure roleplay. First example is, Person 1's secret is she is secretly a mermaid, and person 2 is a human. After a few seconds of talking to person 1, person 2 suspects person 1 is a mermaid despite that she didn't do anything suspicious or something that can trigger curiosity. How? Why? What? Second example: in the plot, A is doppelganger of someone B personally knows. However, when they first meet, the two doesn't know anything about this information. On the roleplay, A meets B and then B suddenly recognizes and says "You're a doppelganger of ___!"

Second, making your own place in the roleplay or basically his own plot in the roleplay (this is much different than suggestions) without consulting the GM. Example, the plot clearly states that A and B goes to the same school and they are enemies. In the roleplay, A is in the school while B is at his house because apparently, he hates school and skip classes. Excuse me? Sure, okay that can pass but how will you interact with the other character? She just can't barge in in your house for no reason!

Third, realistic reactions. I just close my eyes and mentally shout curses behind the computer screen whenever I see this. Example, A just stabbed and snapped B's neck. C, who is a human, just stands there and appears to not be affected of what suddenly happened. Uh okay? You're not going to think how the A snapped B's neck? Second example, A put on a spell on herself where if someone touches her, they would burn. B, unaware of this, goes to A and touches her but appears to be unaffected. Lol you're not some god who can avoid that !!

Uh.. Well that's just what I can think of now... And they all happened to me and gave me headache. Ugh.
That is one of my biggest fears when joining someone else's roleplay; This is why making a story is the hardest part for me.

Uh. No. That's not what I'm saying at all. In fact, Mary Sue characters generally have tragic pasts. Their daddy was a drunk who abused them. Their momma didn't care about them. It's stereotypical things like that that help give a Mary Sue her Mary Sue-ness. I can say so myself that life isn't easy, but I'm just so tired if people always focusing on the negativity of life.

SteppedOnALego said:
I'd like to point out you've mixed up God-Mode and Power-play. God-Mode is when a character is immune to everything; dodging attacks, absorbing status effects. Hence, the name God-Mode.
Power-play is when you voluntarily take control of another person's character to do, well what you want. Power-play can be combined with fighting to create God-Mode. Power-play is also known as bunny-ing; context of emotional/non-attack style decision.
I came down here to say the same thing, although people tend to mix them up so often that the definitions have become kind of blurry in recent years. I've actually started preferring the term bunnying because of that. (Also powerplaying in a fighting situation is called "auto-hitting").

[QUOTE="The Wizard of Odd]Uh. No. That's not what I'm saying at all. In fact, Mary Sue characters generally have tragic pasts. Their daddy was a drunk who abused them. Their momma didn't care about them. It's stereotypical things like that that help give a Mary Sue her Mary Sue-ness. I can say so myself that life isn't easy, but I'm just so tired if people always focusing on the negativity of life.

[/QUOTE]
^yeah, the traditional Mary Sue will have a tragic past, yet is a prodigy in every other way and everyone falls in love with them as soon as they meet them. They also often will try to have supernatural powers even when the RP doesn't call for it or it is clearly overpowered for the situation (everyone who tries to play a first-year animagus in a Harry Potter RP... I'm looking at you). A good GM will nip the Mary Sue sign up in the butt before it can get too far.

I like to think of Athena from the Phoenix Wright series when I think of Mary Sue's and whether they are appropriate for the situation. On the surface Athena ticks a lot of Mary Sue boxes: she was "experimented on" by her scientist mother until her mother died in front of her, after which she became an orphan. She passed the bar exam at the age of - what - 18? Oh yeah and she has supernatural hearing to boot. Thing is... this type of backstory is extremely common in the Phoenix Wright universe. Pretty much every character has a tragic backstory, was a prodigy, and/or has supernatural powers, even when most of the world does not. So in this scenario, Athena is actually fine as a character.

If I could give a pet peeve: I honestly don't like it at all when players take two of their own characters and put them into a romantic relationship with each other (or even just very close platonic ones, unless it's a parent/child relationship, pokemon/ trainer relationship, or something similar). It can be done properly, but usually the player ends up doing a lot of roleplaying with themselves and not with the players around them, which is kind of the point of an RP. It's something I see a lot of inexperienced RPers doing so I just wanted to point it out. Form relationships with the characters around you! Not with your own characters!

Thank you for these tips. If I may add something, speaking of the guy who got his throat slit when he was a n00b:

If you're the GM of game where combat between players is a part of your RP, some sort of mechanic is a must, or you get a lot of dodged attacks, failed hits, or 1-hit KOs. It can be as small as "whoever gets the highest Dice roll wins" or a complex one with a bunch of skills. If you absolutely can't implement some sort of mechanic, at least communicate OOC about who should win before anyone's character dies prematurely (and potentially unfairly).

I implement some sort of combat system in all of my RPs, and if I joined one that didn't have one and might need one, I'd be inclined to ask about how the GM planned to handle combat. And I personally would be prepared to back out if I didn't like their answer.

Basically, a pet peeve of mine is unstructured combat.

[QUOTE="The Wizard of Odd]Uh. No. That's not what I'm saying at all. In fact, Mary Sue characters generally have tragic pasts. Their daddy was a drunk who abused them. Their momma didn't care about them. It's stereotypical things like that that help give a Mary Sue her Mary Sue-ness. I can say so myself that life isn't easy, but I'm just so tired if people always focusing on the negativity of life.

[/QUOTE]
So your average run of the mill shonen animu character?

Thank you! Some of these terms were unknown to me until today.

The ideas of how to roleplay are extremely helpful.

I know I'll be able to fix my former mistakes now.

Thanks for the tips :3 Also, your Nagito thingy brings me horrible flashbacks of creepy oven mitts and hand rape machines. Thanks alot xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back