What if RPnation was a real nation?

Alexandra95 said:
I don't have any specific details (as I was leaving it to others), but seeing as Ebola is spreading at the moment I believe it's appropriate to say it's a virus/epidemic. What I know is that killed most of this nation's population; I assume around ~80%. I also assume it would be relatively quick, I'm estimating around a year or less. I haven't really thought of much else (how global it is etc), so if you have any thoughts on it, please share (:
Well Ebola, as it is right now, could never become an epidemic due to the nature of how the virus spreads. The only way it can spread is through direct contact with a symptomatic person's (not to be confused with merely an infected person) bodily fluid/secretion. This means that by the time you could infect someone, you are already deep in the throws of the disease and completely incapacitated by fever and vomiting, thereby limiting the spread of the disease to only those who could come in direct contact with a person already sick. Were the disease to change, become airborne while the subject asymptomatic, then you would have quite the nightmare scenario as you can have a carrier of the disease walking around for up to three weeks spreading the disease before he even knows he has it, well that would be bad. (Keep in mind, that this would be a radical change in the nature of Ebola, very unlikely).

As far as how long such a disease would take to infect the entire country, it's hard to say. The Pandemic of 1918, in a time before the flu vaccine was widely available, only had an infection rate as high as 50%, so even in the worse case scenario, you are talking about a lot of people that don't become infected. Odds are, if you really want a disease to do what you want, then as the saying goes, you have to do it yourself. A disease like Ebola could become weaponized, and if that were the case, then all bets are off. For a disease to kill off approximately 80% of the population in the US alone, would mean that most places worldwide would be floating around 99%. Whole Continents like Africa and South America would be practically empty, as the healthier you are, the better your chances of resisting the virus is.

Next question:

What is the status of national authority, i.e. the US Government (if there is such).

Aeradom said:
Well Ebola, as it is right now, could never become an epidemic due to the nature of how the virus spreads. The only way it can spread is through direct contact with a symptomatic person's (not to be confused with merely an infected person) bodily fluid/secretion. This means that by the time you could infect someone, you are already deep in the throws of the disease and completely incapacitated by fever and vomiting, thereby limiting the spread of the disease to only those who could come in direct contact with a person already sick. Were the disease to change, become airborne while the subject asymptomatic, then you would have quite the nightmare scenario as you can have a carrier of the disease walking around for up to three weeks spreading the disease before he even knows he has it, well that would be bad. (Keep in mind, that this would be a radical change in the nature of Ebola, very unlikely).
As far as how long such a disease would take to infect the entire country, it's hard to say. The Pandemic of 1918, in a time before the flu vaccine was widely available, only had an infection rate as high as 50%, so even in the worse case scenario, you are talking about a lot of people that don't become infected. Odds are, if you really want a disease to do what you want, then as the saying goes, you have to do it yourself. A disease like Ebola could become weaponized, and if that were the case, then all bets are off. For a disease to kill off approximately 80% of the population in the US alone, would mean that most places worldwide would be floating around 99%. Whole Continents like Africa and South America would be practically empty, as the healthier you are, the better your chances of resisting the virus is.
I didn't mean it was Ebola, just that the "inspiration", if you want, was a virus or epidemic that killed most of a nation's population. I didn't plan on it being able to infect the rest (the current survivors) as this is in no way intended to be an apocalypse RP...

Anyway, interesting. You seem to know a lot about this (as opposed to me).

Aeradom said:
Next question:
What is the status of national authority, i.e. the US Government (if there is such).
What do you mean exactly? What kind of government it is, or how much power it is..?

Alexandra95 said:
I didn't mean it was Ebola, just that the "inspiration", if you want, was a virus or epidemic that killed most of a nation's population. I didn't plan on it being able to infect the rest (the current survivors) as this is in no way intended to be an apocalypse RP...
Anyway, interesting. You seem to know a lot about this (as opposed to me).

What do you mean exactly? What kind of government it is, or how much power it is..?
Basically, I mean if there's a currency, there has to be a government tied to it yes?

Aeradom said:
Basically, I mean if there's a currency, there has to be a government tied to it yes?
Well, the current government is basically powerless as the earlier mentioned disaster wiped out most parliament members, the remaining government is a mix of different parties not too far from the center (center-left-wings and center-right-wings). Obviously it's not very effective at the moment, and thus is very prone to a coup. There's still remains of the police force however as well as parliament guards.

The political system isn't specified but it's a representative democracy, most likely a republic.

The currency is one of the remains, and how much it affects society is up to the players to decide (if no one uses it, then it'll be worthless of course).

I'm still not quite sure what you're asking so if I anything I said didn't make sense or I didn't answer your question just tell me.

Alexandra95 said:
Well, the current government is basically powerless as the earlier mentioned disaster wiped out most parliament members, the remaining government is a mix of different parties not too far from the center (center-left-wings and center-right-wings). Obviously it's not very effective at the moment, and thus is very prone to a coup. There's still remains of the police force however as well as parliament guards.
The political system isn't specified but it's a representative democracy, most likely a republic.

The currency is one of the remains, and how much it affects society is up to the players to decide (if no one uses it, then it'll be worthless of course).

I'm still not quite sure what you're asking so if I anything I said didn't make sense or I didn't answer your question just tell me.
Actually, that answered my question. So there is a functioning (albeit weak) government that still exists. And it sounds like they're able to provide basic levels of amenities like food, water, power, and such then yes?

Aeradom said:
Actually, that answered my question. So there is a functioning (albeit weak) government that still exists. And it sounds like they're able to provide basic levels of amenities like food, water, power, and such then yes?
I would imagine so yes.

I've specified in Overview that there is a working hydroelectric plant in the second city, not too far from the capital. There's also a lot of farmland that can be improved to yield more food (some damaged and unworked due to lack of workers).

Alexandra95 said:
I would imagine so yes.
I've specified in Overview that there is a working hydroelectric plant in the second city, not too far from the capital. There's also a lot of farmland that can be improved to yield more food (some damaged and unworked due to lack of workers).
Ah I missed that, very good.

Aeradom said:
I need to give it some more thought, I have an idea for the story, but it needs some work to fit.
Sure, take your time.

Hmm a lot of the people I tagged haven't showed up...

@Maven I noticed that you were interested in map making, do you think you could make a map for this?

That was like...

A few days ago.

And I was actually just chatting with him on another roleplay recently.

I know... it really seems like people just aren't interested. I've been suggested to change title and add some more history and plot, and yeah... I probably haven't done the best job as a creator.

Also, your robot reminds me a lot of Anakin's 3PO in Star Wars Ep I... hehe

If there only were more people in the RP... you're kinda alone in the city at the moment :/ Maybe @Maven could cross paths with you since she's planning to travel to the capital

Users who are viewing this thread

Back