• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

What exactly is 'extreme gore'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey :)

I've noticed that in the latest Site Rule Update, it says that photos of 'extreme gore' are forbidden, and that drawings of it must be posted as spoilers. But everyone has his own opinion of what is 'extreme gore'. So, what kinds of gore count as 'extreme gore' on here?

CountDracula

That's bad... one of my chars is Vlad the Impaler. He's probably one of the biggest sadists in history, and to show that, I sometimes need this kind of extreme violence. Otherwise... he just isn't Vlad the Impaler.

But why don't we do it the way other forums do it? By placing a trigger warning on top of such posts?

Our main concern is with using photographic imagery, like snuff photos, in roleplays. These real life photographs are forbidden. Anime or art renditions of gore are fine, but please place them in a spoiler with a clear warning. Gore is fine on text form, but we ask examples of extreme gore (describing a bad injury and up) is put in a spoiler with a warning.

Gore is fine, however, if we see users posting only gore all the time, we may pull them aside and ask them to tone it down. For example, there was once a roleplay where they just role played murder scenes over and over. We really don't want to breed that mentality.

In summary, we don't want routine examples of gore writing from one user (ie: every post is a blood bath) nor do we want real life photos depicting gore (Ie: crime scene photos from a bad car accident)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mordecai That's exactly what I mean... to me, just describing a bad injury isn't 'extreme gore'. Depending on the situation, I wouldn't call it 'gore' at all...

And about those whose posts are nothing but blood baths - have you thought of that they might be sadists seeking for valves to let go of their emotions? I'd say tons of gorey posts are better than tons of real-life crimes that they might commit when being robbed off their valves... non-sadists might not understand how bad the urge to torture can get.

CountDracula said:
@Mordecai That's exactly what I mean... to me, just describing a bad injury isn't 'extreme gore'. Depending on the situation, I wouldn't call it 'gore' at all...
And about those whose posts are nothing but blood baths - have you thought of that they might be sadists seeking for valves to let go of their emotions? I'd say tons of gorey posts are better than tons of real-life crimes that they might commit when being robbed off their valves... non-sadists might not understand how bad the urge to torture can get.
Perhaps but we aren't really meant to be a vehicle for coping with that. For example, in the aforementioned roleplay, they tried to find more sadistic ways of killing NPCs and it escalated to a point that even the staff were uncomfortable with reading it.

And on that argument, what's to say a young kid doesn't read these types of roleplays and be inspired?

In the end, if we see a user posting murder or gore scenes for every single post, it's probably escalating to a point that is outside RPNation's capacity, ergo, that's the rules we've set.

@Mordecai Real sadism isn't caused by reading stories as a kid... if it was like that, every single one of us would be a sadist. As a historian-to-be, I know that not a single story that has ever been written is as cruel as reality... so, to find real inspiration, sadists just need to take a look at the world. Reading stories really is a minor form of inspiration to most of us.

CountDracula said:
@Mordecai Real sadism isn't caused by reading stories as a kid... if it was like that, every single one of us would be a sadist. As a historian-to-be, I know that not a single story that has ever been written is as cruel as reality... so, to find real inspiration, sadists just need to take a look at the world. Reading stories really is a minor form of inspiration to most of us.
Inspiration is a different thing.

Anyways, I'm not here to argue psychology with you. I apologise that you're unhappy with the rules, but they have been agreed upon by the staff as a whole and will remain as they are for the time being. The rules on gore have not changed save for no longer allowing graphic photographic images.

The staff as a whole... that's it. How about asking the users instead? It wouldn't be that much work. You could make surveys about rules that last for, let's say, a week and then see how many users agree or disagree with them...

CountDracula said:
The staff as a whole... that's it. How about asking the users instead? It wouldn't be that much work. You could make surveys about rules that last for, let's say, a week and then see how many users agree or disagree with them...
We make rules to adhere to the rules of COPPA, primarily. Since we are a site based in the US, there are certain criteria we must meet in order to remain operable because we allow users at the age of 13 to register. Again, I apologise if you're unhappy but there is not much I can do for you at this time.

Further to Mordecai's response, the reason the staff made the decision is because the staff are responsible for enforcing the site rules that are set down by the site owner, The Dark Wizard. If a change to the rules were to be debated by the user base, that would be something that The Dark Wizard would put in place. At this time, The Dark Wizard has no plans for changing any rules in place, nor for polling the users regarding changes. Since your question appears to have been answered in its fullness, I shall lock this thread. If you wish to discuss this topic further, you are welcome to make a thread in Admin Contact.

Captain Hesperus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back