What Do You Do In This Situation?

Lord Pug

Is Satan a Beagle Puppy?!
I'm sorry about the name, I couldn't think of one that would convey the situation better without being too long.

Alright, here's my situation:

I'm doing a romance RP with somebody. My character is very introverted and quiet and their character is more extroverted. This usually makes for a good yin and yang which is good to keep these types of RPs moving. Unfortunately, all of a sudden, my partner's character starts freaking out: talking about himself in the third person and talking in all caps. This just...scares me, to be honest. I had no idea this was going to happen. There was no indication of this character having anger issues or anything like that and honestly I just can't see my character falling in love with this type of character. I don't know what to do. It's like I'm writing a love story about Donald Trump. I could try to peacefully end the RP but I fear that the other player may be mad and I don't have a lot of RPs going on right now so I'd kind of like to make this work.

Is there any way I can try and tell my partner that I think their character is kind of...creepy and that I can't see my character falling in love with them without ending the RP or making the other player upset?

Talk to them. Seriously, just talk to them. And be firm, and honest. Don't skirt around the issue, or they might not take it as seriously as you do. Something along the lines of:

"Hey, I was really enthusiastic about this roleplay and I'd still really like to make it work. However, your character's outburst makes me feel like they may not be the type of person my character would fall in love with. I was completely blindsided by their behavior, I wasn't expecting it at all, and if explosive, random anger is one of their character traits, then I just can't see this romance unfolding. I do, however, want to continue roleplaying with you, so we can either re-evaluate the character and the relationship, or we can do something entirely different."

That is, if you would be fine with roleplaying something else with this person. 

Also, RPN is chock-full of potential partners. If this person isn't a good fit or turns out to be uncooperative about this, don't hesitate to break it off out of fear that you won't find someone else to RP with. I don't think you should stay in a roleplay that creeps you out or makes you uncomfortable in any way. And if you decide to end the roleplay and they get mad at you? That's a risk you're gonna have to take, they may be upset. If they start drama, though, you can block and report them-- that's the beauty of the internet. 

So, bottom line: TALK. TO. YOUR. PARTNER. Communication is so important. And if they can't respect your feelings, then you don't have to roleplay with them. Hope my two cents help :)  

Talk to them. Seriously, just talk to them. And be firm, and honest. Don't skirt around the issue, or they might not take it as seriously as you do. Something along the lines of:

"Hey, I was really enthusiastic about this roleplay and I'd still really like to make it work. However, your character's outburst makes me feel like they may not be the type of person my character would fall in love with. I was completely blindsided by their behavior, I wasn't expecting it at all, and if explosive, random anger is one of their character traits, then I just can't see this romance unfolding. I do, however, want to continue roleplaying with you, so we can either re-evaluate the character and the relationship, or we can do something entirely different."

That is, if you would be fine with roleplaying something else with this person. 

Also, RPN is chock-full of potential partners. If this person isn't a good fit or turns out to be uncooperative about this, don't hesitate to break it off out of fear that you won't find someone else to RP with. I don't think you should stay in a roleplay that creeps you out or makes you uncomfortable in any way. And if you decide to end the roleplay and they get mad at you? That's a risk you're gonna have to take, they may be upset. If they start drama, though, you can block and report them-- that's the beauty of the internet. 

So, bottom line: TALK. TO. YOUR. PARTNER. Communication is so important. And if they can't respect your feelings, then you don't have to roleplay with them. Hope my two cents help :)  

That's a good idea, I'll try that! Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back