Other What Annoys You Most About TV Shows?

sukaithemoonlord774

Elder Member
I'll go ahead and answer this question for myself. And it's the overuse of sex (especially cheating spouses) and the commercials, that last longer than the show so-to-speak. For starters... What annoys you guys most, when it comes to watching TV?

I suppose picking commercials would be cheating.... I guess it’d be when there is an exodus of actors between seasons and suddenly you have off-screen deaths or random excuses for why characters are gone. Plus then you also have to deal with how potentially the show has a negative working environment and the atmospheric shift in the show itself.

Special shoutout to the shows that get canceled before their time. RIP In the Flesh.

I suppose picking commercials would be cheating.... I guess it’d be when there is an exodus of actors between seasons and suddenly you have off-screen deaths or random excuses for why characters are gone. Plus then you also have to deal with how potentially the show has a negative working environment and the atmospheric shift in the show itself.

Special shoutout to the shows that get canceled before their time. RIP In the Flesh.

You can pick commercials, as well lol! But I totally understand where you're coming from, with the off-screen deaths and random excuses for why characters are gone. It happened to me with NCIS: New Orleans, one of my favorite female characters was axed (although she was pregnant in real life) and they gave her the weirdest reason ever as to why she was no longer part of the show. It was ridiculous! In my opinion.

Definitely commercials is the number one thing. I hate shows that have lack of character development. Also, sort of speaking on that note, I hate killing off characters for the sake of killing them off or shock value / Unnecessarily killing a character off. It sorta goes off of what was mentioned above though, like in Criminal Minds when the head honcho of the show got fired so they were just like "Eh, there is a killer out there so he's going into hiding."

Definitely commercials is the number one thing. I hate shows that have lack of character development. Also, sort of speaking on that note, I hate killing off characters for the sake of killing them off or shock value / Unnecessarily killing a character off. It sorta goes off of what was mentioned above though, like in Criminal Minds when the head honcho of the show got fired so they were just like "Eh, there is a killer out there so he's going into hiding."

I tried to get into Criminal Minds, like three times over the past few years and I could just never get into it. But I'm glad I'm not the only one, who hates commercials. Lol, I could do an entire different post about commercials and why I hate them! But when it comes to lack of character development, that's why I hate certain anime series as well. But again, that's another post lolzness...

Once two characters get together and become a couple, the writers can't seem to come up with any interesting storylines/drama for them unless it includes cheating. -_-

Once two characters get together and become a couple, the writers can't seem to come up with any interesting storylines/drama for them unless it includes cheating. -_-

You're speaking the truth! I can't stand it, when writers do that... And it goes for both the female and the male characters, for me. You know?

1. The overuse of "2 or more women fighting for the same guy" cliche.
2. The overuse of "accidentally" pushing someone (mostly elders who knows something) down a flight of stairs and they end up being incapable of speaking cliche.
3. When you think all is good but drama happens and the show goes on.
4. WHEN YOU THINK THE SHOW IS GONNA LAST FOR ANOTHER 3 SEASONS BUT THEN THEY CUT IT OFF AT SEASON 2 AND AT A CLIFFHANGER (Sense 8....)

1. The overuse of "2 or more women fighting for the same guy" cliche.
2. The overuse of "accidentally" pushing someone (mostly elders who knows something) down a flight of stairs and they end up being incapable of speaking cliche.
3. When you think all is good but drama happens and the show goes on.
4. WHEN YOU THINK THE SHOW IS GONNA LAST FOR ANOTHER 3 SEASONS BUT THEN THEY CUT IT OFF AT SEASON 2 AND AT A CLIFFHANGER (Sense 8..

Ezleurnoe Ezleurnoe , I love this post! I sincerely respect your opinions and especially with the first two. And the last one, I can't even tell you, how annoyed I get with with that one, myself... Forgive my excitement, but thank you for your honesty! You've listed a lot of pet-peeves that I have as well and I greatly appreciate you replying to this thread. :)

Ezleurnoe Ezleurnoe , I love this post! I sincerely respect your opinions and especially with the first two. And the last one, I can't even tell you, how annoyed I get with with that one, myself... Forgive my excitement, but thank you for your honesty! You've listed a lot of pet-peeves that I have as well and I greatly appreciate you replying to this thread. :)

Thank you. So many afternoon shows have the 1st one. Glad to hear too that Sense 8 will have a finale soon enough.

Anyway, happy tv show-watching to you all.

I watch a lot of TV shows, so I can list several. One of the things that has been bugging me the most is that TV shows are under the spotlight more than ever, mainly due to the several streaming services currently available that lets you binge watch or watch a show at your own pace, and due to that several plots are being turned into TV shows when they would be better off as short-series (one or at the most two seasons) or movies. Thirteen Reasons Why is a good example for that, in my opinion. Also, a lot of TV shows are simply too similar to others.

Something else is how characters go unconscious all the time. I mean, honestly, they ought to get some brain damage from being hit to the head and going unconscious that many times, right?

Another thing is when the writers apparently have no other idea than try to force you to like a character. Depending on the nature of the show when that starts happening I can just guess they're going to be killed soon and the writers are trying to make you care for their death.

When a character is introduced in the same episode they're put in danger. Like the wife of the Asian guy from Criminal Minds, we didn't know her until she was in danger, and we're like... Supposed to care. She wasn't even a side character, she was an improv.

When a character is introduced in the same episode they're put in danger. Like the wife of the Asian guy from Criminal Minds, we didn't know her until she was in danger, and we're like... Supposed to care. She wasn't even a side character, she was an improv.

Agreed. When it's not the nature of the show to have people constantly in danger that is annoying. In shows like The Walking Dead, it's normal to have people being introduced when in danger, but you're not supposed to care for them in a deep emotional level at that moment anyway, it's just routine.
But in cases like the one you described it's boring. Even if you're supposed to feel sorry or connect to the main character because his wife is in danger, it's hard when you can't really connect with her in the first place.

Agreed. When it's not the nature of the show to have people constantly in danger that is annoying. In shows like The Walking Dead, it's normal to have people being introduced when in danger, but you're not supposed to care for them in a deep emotional level at that moment anyway, it's just routine.
But in cases like the one you described it's boring. Even if you're supposed to feel sorry or connect to the main character because his wife is in danger, it's hard when you can't really connect with her in the first place.
Like, oh, your wife is gonna die. But like, she came in five minutes ago, and you've barely been here for a season. Don't really care, bud.

Like, oh, your wife is gonna die. But like, she came in five minutes ago, and you've barely been here for a season. Don't really care, bud.

Yeah. At the very least introduce her a couple times previously and preferably in a different episode than the one she's being threatened. That would help just a tiny bit.

Aw man, I've got a bunch of these.

1. When a romantic B story becomes the A story for no reason.
2. Blatant fanservice. That stuff can slaughter a series – see Sherlock.
3. When characters never evolve beyond a caricature or stereotype. Mostly applies to minority characters.
4. Too many filler/bottle episodes just to boost the episode count.
5. Awkwardly done high-concept stuff. This one is kind of tricky to explain...it's when the network/writers just seem to want the characters and visuals to come off as "cool and hip and edgy" rather than writing them like real people or paying attention to the actual worldbuilding, e.g. a ton of YA shows.
6. When a show really, really needs to wrap up but just. Keeps going. And going. And going. And going.
7. Shows that are super obvious money grabs. See Boss Baby: Back in Business.

Ugh, it's so annoying when they end. Don't quote me on this, but thinking back, I think every show I've watched has done this at some point.

Aw man, I've got a bunch of these.

1. When a romantic B story becomes the A story for no reason.
2. Blatant fanservice. That stuff can slaughter a series – see Sherlock.
3. When characters never evolve beyond a caricature or stereotype. Mostly applies to minority characters.
4. Too many filler/bottle episodes just to boost the episode count.
5. Awkwardly done high-concept stuff. This one is kind of tricky to explain...it's when the network/writers just seem to want the characters and visuals to come off as "cool and hip and edgy" rather than writing them like real people or paying attention to the actual worldbuilding, e.g. a ton of YA shows.
6. When a show really, really needs to wrap up but just. Keeps going. And going. And going. And going.
7. Shows that are super obvious money grabs. See Boss Baby: Back in Business.

I totally agree with all of these! hegemonet hegemonet . I think fanservice has ruined a lot of anime shows, as well; in my opinion (lol).

there are 2 things that i've noticed that bug me so much. First of all, it seems that with any tv show or book that they add a new character because they can't think of any ideas. And than the new character is like, the lord and savior of everyone else. Also, almost every show i watch has explored the space thing. Whenever Tv shows run out of ideas they turn to space. There are a few exceptions of course, but when shows that have NO BUSINESS BEING UP THERE go up into space, it means the series is going to end soon.

The incompetent dad trope that's ALL TOO COMMON in TV.

Family Guy
The Simpsons
American Dad
F is for Family
Fairly Oddparents
Jimmy Neutron
Kids Next Door
Danny Phantom
Billy & Mandy
Pretty much EVERY family sitcom show made in the 90s
Drake and Josh
iCarly (Spencer)
Malcolm in the Middle
Modern Family
Wizards of Waverly Place
Notice how a good many of these are children's shows

While I can easily forgive a lot of these because they're amazing shows, I really can't watch anything new that depict this trope in spades. I mean, we have enough talk of "mothers are required, fathers are optional" for me to peacefully watch this shit. It's annoying and, from how all these shows demean men and/or the role of fatherhood (to the point where it has to be fucking said that fathers are NOT optional and where articles are written about this trope), it's starting to be seen IRL on these talk shows where some terrible shit happens to a man and people just fucking laugh like we've been watching Family Guy.

Once you get to the point where you start to legitimately question the need for HALF your child's fucking parenting, shit's gone too far

Two things for me. One is the massive preponderance of infidelity, especially when it's sort of implied by the writing that it's in some way okay. The second is somewhat related - the ever-present plot that I can best sum up as "If you have any problem with your significant other, it's immediately time to consider the closest attractive stranger as a replacement. Clearly, any problem or argument in a relationship means that relationship has failed."

I haven't had cable TV in years, but whenever I start flicking through channels at a friend's house or a hotel, I have begun to notice how simply lazy scripting has become. It's unfortunate how the TV industry has become about the deadlines that must be met rather than creating enjoyable entertainment. Writers and producers simply don't have enough time to make their product enjoyable, as all stations care about is realeasing the next episode as soon as possible.

What's worse, people have tolerated this for years; since companies like Netflix and Hulu insinuated "binge-watching," TV stations have had to compete to release the most episodes of as many shows as they can in the shortest amount of time.

To sum it up, I'm annoyed at how the industry has placed quantity over quality as standard business practice.

honestly ... people not saying some form of goodbye before hanging up the phone and people leaving a full plate of food behind? why do they never finish their food???

this happens in movies, too. but. y'know. it irks me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back