Werewolf: The Forsaken

Werewolf is one of the most intriguing, philosophically deep, and imaginative games I have had the pleasure of playing and Story telling. It can be a very rich gaming experience for the right minded group. There is so much depth in the mythology and its ties to Gaia, and her very essence. The possibilities for the settings are near endless, and the scope of what can evolve with all the the WoD content is near limitless as well.

You can bet I will be reading the story as it unfolds. Its a game I would love to participate in, however I would rather allow someone unfamiliar, the opportunity to experience such a great game, in the hands of an Epic storyteller like Grey.

Hope you can find the time. Enjoy!

LGHeader.jpg

Well, just finished re-reading the core, and damn if it isn't interesting. Just a question for those who have actually played a Forsaken game: how well do the Uratha do against the other supernatural critters and Hunters of the WoD? I ask because while they seem very powerful physically, their Gifts look underwhelming, at least on paper.

The Gifts are actually the most dangerous part of a Werewolf, never underestimate a desperate wolf with a few 1 Dot Gifts to their name.

As for how they match up against other nWoDs...well, that's a bit of a "lol powerlevelz" trap there, but here are a number of things the others have picked up about the Uratha:

- Changelings: What the hell? Just leave them alone.

- Geist: So they kill, we've already died once.

- Hunters: Be careful when hunting them, it's all too easy to become their prey.

- Mage: Dangerous beasts, all of them.

- Prometheans: ...children playing at being monsters.

- Vampires: Be very careful when dealing with them.

Now, these views I pieced together from each splat's factions' own views of the Uratha, and just generally, it's a "Leave them the hell alone", much like the wolves' own views of each of these splats.

Compared to the others, the wolves are built as hunters, not bare-knuckle brawlers (I've seen a Rahu getting demolished by Daeva (Vampire) in a straight up fight), but stalkers and ambushers. As a pack, they not only cover for each other's weaknesses , but each member brings something different to their hunt...it's a little like facing a well-oiled SWAT or spec ops unit, but on top of everything else, they are supernatural. A good pack will know when an unknown element enters their territory and within five minutes, have someone or something watching and gauging the threat level of the unknown, then making a choice on whether or not they will tolerate that element, chase it away, or, in extreme cases, engage and kill it.

Werewolves not only have the immediate pack to rely on, but a number of spirits they have bound to their service and in some cases, a human click they have working with/for them like a small gang, a librarian, or (in one epic case) an entire police precinct. If a pack of wolves move against a threat, it is because ideally, they have already figured out a way to end the encounter on their terms with no one in the area the wiser unless the pack wishes it.

In the new World of Darkness, if you have a wolf-eyed man bumping into you on the sidewalk or see a large dog in the stalking in the bushes of the park; it's best you keep on living your life, and pray to whatever power you believe in that you don't ever catch those wolfish eyes looking back at you.

The only real problem I've encountered with Werewolf stems from how hard a given ST makes it to increase Renown. The harder it is to do, the more gimped the players might feel, because it stops them from getting the more powerful gifts, but their gifts are pretty good.

This whole system sounds very intriguing. It kinda sound of sounds like Bleach with werewolves... I would very much like to learn the game. What are the 5 different Tribes and "class" types in the game?

Taken from the wiki (http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Werewolf:_The_Forsaken )

Auspices:

• Rahu (The Full Moon, The Warrior) - warriors of all kinds from brawlers to seasoned commanders.
  • Cahalith (The Gibbous Moon, The Visionary) - seers, storytellers and lore-keepers.
  • Elodoth (The Half Moon, The Walker Between) - diplomats to the spirit courts, judges and arbiters.
  • Ithaeur (The Crescent Moon, The Spirit Master) - occultists and keepers of spirit lore and rituals.
  • Irraka (The New Moon, The Stalker) - scouts, spies and trackers.
  • There are some variations (Harvest Moon, etc.) but i don't think they're relevant at this stage.

Tribes

• Blood Talons (Suthar Anzuth) - the tribe of Fenris Wolf, who promotes the warrior and wolf aspects of the Uratha.
  • Bone Shadows (Hirfathra Hissu) - occultist and shamanistic Uratha who seek to restore relations with the spirit world and gain a greater understanding of them with the guidance of their patron, Death Wolf.
  • Hunters in Darkness (Meninna) - animalistic scouts and mysterious stalkers; protectors of loci, the spiritual centres of the world. Black Wolf is their totem.
  • Iron Masters (Farsil Luhal) - this tribe, following the teachings of Red Wolf, embrace change and new ideas. They feel a stronger bond with humanity, keep up with the latest in human technological advances and prefer to claim cities for their territory.
  • Storm Lords (Iminir) - the tribe of Winter Wolf feels that it is their personal responsibility to lead all of their Uratha brethren and seeks to do so through strength of will, force of personality and a higher sense of nobility.

The Auspice, yes, that is definitely necessary is it represents which phase of the moon you had your First Change under. Tribes on the other hand? It's optional, but in-game though, you'll be known as a Ghost Wolf, some tribe members just don't respect them.

Also, a Ghost Wolf, as far as game mechanics go, are also gimped a bit. They start slightly weaker than those with a Tribe, and are even less respected by Spirits, for the most part, IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back