• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Well, That's an Evil Smile

Larry

Your resident on-and-off bibliomaniac!
Larry submitted a new resource:

Well, That's an Evil Smile - Are you ready to put your happiness on the line?

Well, that’s an Evil Smile

You’ve heard of the stories of the Bogeyman, the Big Bad Wolf, how they will take you away if you’re a bad child. How you might often brought the duvet up to your face as your parents would tell you that they’ll come if you don’t change your ways? How they might have plagued your dreams, how they woke you up with a fright? But have you ever heard of the Happyman? Have you heard of man that...
Read more about this resource...

Well, that’s an Evil Smile

You’ve heard of the stories of the Bogeyman, the Big Bad Wolf, how they will take you away if you’re a bad child. How you might often brought the duvet up to your face as your parents would tell you that they’ll come if you don’t change your ways? How they might have plagued your dreams, how they woke you up with a fright? But have you ever heard of the Happyman? Have you heard of man that took the bad children away, only to return with smiles on their faces? But what if the tales you heard were true, what if the monsters from the figments of your imagination were true? What if one of these being...was coming after you? Will you have a smile on your face?

Run, hide, fight, you'll do all these; if you want to live of course. You'll do all these, not in that order. Although history has shown that those who have involved themselves...have come up quite short. Will you end the curse that has pervaded through this town for the past century or will it swallow you like it has done to so many before you? Will you strive to end it alone? Or will you enlist the help of allies, comrades or friends? Aforementioned friends, even your family are in danger of being targeted. Are you willing to risk them, to put those most dear on the line for the greater good? Can you find it in your heart to do such a thing?

Are you ready to put your happiness on the line?

silhouette_group.jpg

You are the beginning

OR

the end.

evgeny-lushpin-painting-8-e1327848558781.jpeg

evening_town_2_by_jeniecallipso-d2zss0i.jpg

8189490331_b42fdf8dba_z.jpg

Checastle

The town of Checastle has a chequered history; one that boasts of a period during the economic that had nearly the entire populace of working and living happy lives. The other, a time where a job was a miracle, food was a gift from whatever deity they believed in. A day without somebody taking their own life, was another miracle. The town was bestowed with extremely fertile lands, meaning that important crops such as wheat, corn, potatoes and various other kinds of cultivatable plants be sown, grown and reaped which turned agriculture into the town's sustainable source of income. However, during the recession, retailers reduced the price they would sell produce at meaning income for the town was reduced considerably, meaning that very few families could afford the supplies they desperately. So the lives of one-hundred and thirty-one people were cut short, a period of depression, sadness and general unrest for many years to come. In recent times however, a general shift has occurred that has resulted in agriculture becoming third to the opening of numerous, brand-new services and an influx into the construction industry.

Although a small village once upon a time, due to the agricultural explosion that engulfed the hamlet, it soon grew into a town that didn't conflict with the nearby farms. Nowadays, Checastle is a mix of modern and classic practises, perfectly shown by the people that inhabit the settlement.

The Rules, yes the rules!

• Well, the first course of action would be to follow the RPNation rules!
  • No Mary Sues/Gary Stues; nobody is perfect so neither should your character be. It makes them so more interesting to see their flaws in which they try to overcome.
  • No controlling other people's characters without their permission. Apparently it is called bunnying, funny name really!
  • The amount of character you can possess is three (if you feel like you would want more, by all means talk to me and we'll figure something out).
  • Relationships; arguably the most important thing other then surviving the whole debacle! Indeed, try to have your characters interact with each other. I would appreciate if you included everyone, don't cherry-pick the people you talk to. Romance is encouraged but you can also have a character married to another in this role-play, it's not just teenagers. But do not perceive that as myself being utterly against teenage characters, not all. Just opening the possibilities a bit!
  • Adding to the last point, fade to black for any naughty business.
  • A diary is something I would love to read, seeing what the characters themselves think about the events. As I said before, it is indeed a possibility!
  • Depending on what people would prefer (although for a horror-roleplay, I can imagine you might prefer first-person), your preference of perspective is yours until we talk about it.
  • I don't want the most elouquent, highly descriptive piece of text ever written to be posted, but something close enough to it! In all seriousness, keep your grammar as good as you possibly can, make your posts as long as you possibly. You've probably seen this type of instruction a lot.
  • Most of all, have fun. I don't know how long I can actually do this so if needs be, I might give it to someone who feels they can take care of it.
  • If you have read these rules, pleases write your favourite masked character; they can be from anything, I don't mind!
  • This will be dark, discretion is advised before signing up.

Before we start, I'd like to deliberate with you so we can discuss things that can make the role-play that much more enjoyable. If you've taken heed of this, write 'Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened' somewhere on your form.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this isn't like my usual dream where Barney the Dinosaur decides to make drugs with Emmet Brickowski in an alternate universe where the Skrall and the human race co-exist with each other, was the rather tediously long and otherwise pointless thoughts that reverberated around the seething darkness in this somewhat ludicrous dream of the man called Matthew Strickland. After surveying his surroundings and almost in the vein of Sherlock Holmes that was indeed dark and scary, the best idea was that he moved forward in a straight line. Despite his childlike intuition, the man spoke his mind albeit an infant as one would ever see. But that's when the word happy decided to plaster itself everywhere; even onto his clothes. "Great, how am I going to wash this off?" was the seemingly adult response as the Irishman looked down upon the word that everybody had the privilege of knowing but where so foolish not to see. "Are you going to get off me sometime soon?" At his behest, the word did a Transformer and shifted into the most human form possible, given the big FU to him. "Well, I asked politely and I get this type of response, what sort of world is this?!" Continuing to tread through the eerie space that apparently wouldn't let him leave it's boundaries no matter how much he pinched himself. Soon enough, the Silence-Seeker stumbled on a grinning mask lying strewn across in the most even way he's ever seen. "Well what do we have here?"

Something that's a bit happy believe it or not!

Looking around frantically for the source of the voice but no such thing was noted. As fun as the whole experience was so far (fun was a bit strong, as curiosity-inciting might be a better phrase) it sparked a sense of urgency in the otherwise light-hearted lad. "Who's there?" he began rather cliché, eyes darting around the place for anonymous voice that frightened him so. Wouldn't you like to know? the non-existenet but apparent being replied, taking the mick out of the poor man. As simple as the question was, it only served to fuel his inquiry into what it was. Slowly but surely, the shadows began to form around the mask, an arm of pure darkness clasping the mask in it's murky hand. After what seemed an eternity, a vaguely-humanoid form was walking around on the spot with an over-zealous, extremely exciteable display to say the least. Then it stopped dead in it's track, looking dead ahead at Matthew; then erupted into a fit of laughter. So scared of the Happyman are you? it asked with a mix of naked-elation but with an underlying malice. Strickland looked at the monstrosity with a face that said, 'What the hell is a happyman?'. "Could you say that again? You're a what, a who? Whoever you are, you're no Big Bad Wolf if you're trying to scare me."

Happyman looked deeply depressed by the Irishman's statement about the most famous bad guy in fairy-tales. Well, at least according to the man that faced opposite. Never liked that guy in all honesty but tale is far more...gruesome, the man muttered to himself before darting up to Matthew, hefting him into the air by the throat. A knife emerged from it's arm, one that was bloodied, a dirty stain plastered along the blade. Placing it inside his mouth, one last thing was said, SMILE!

Awaking with a jolt, I could feel the sweat pouring down my head in droves. It's not regularly I experience such apparitions but after seeing whatever that was, sleeping didn't seem to be the luxury it once was.

@MorticiansDaughter

@Vengeance

Freyja awoke with a start, her skin was clammy and she was breathing quickly. Another nightmare perhaps but she couldnt quite remember. She covered her bad eye with her hand and looked around her room, quite and still as every besides her heavy breathing. She lifted the blankets off and sat up dangling her legs over the bed, her long black hair cascading over the mattress. She grabbed the patch for her eye off her night stand and worked it around her hair and placing it over her eye. "No need to frighten anybody.." She said in a calm demeanor. She grabbed her kimono and wrapped it around her walking to her kitchen for this mornings coffee. Though it was like any normal morning she felt off..something wasnt right but she couldnt quite find out what. But she pushed it into the back of her mind. No need to worry about unnecessary things.

Draven was walking the streets all night like usual, so when he finally made it back from the club and to his hideout it was already morning. His hair was put into a tight ponytail and he had a cigarette hanging form his mouth, his hands stuffed into his pockets as he walked through the alley. He pounded on a metal door and waited for it to open, when a guy with bright green hair finally opened it. "Man where the hell have you been? Its morning already!" Draven waved him off and walked in, "I have the money dont worry..I was just having a little fun" He walked to a chair in a small room and sat down crossing his ankles. The man with the green hair locked the door and followed Draven with his arms crossed, "The boss wont be happy ya know, he wanted that money asap!" Draven just sat with his eyes closed blowing smoke from his lips time after time. "I've been here longer than you have. The boss knows what I do." The man with the green hair just sighed and walked off leaving Draven to his thoughts. It was just a normal drug run, nothing to serious. But all night he had felt off..maybe not on top of his game but it couldnt have been that. No this was something nagging at him that he couldnt quite pin point.

The young girl had to do an oral report in class today. "As...You see the effects of...of..." She glanced around the room. Each of the students faces were blank. She quickly looked down and continued trying to pronounce each word. Her breathing soon got heavier. Irritated she yelled at the classroom. "Can you not be so judgmental!?!" She quickly gasped as each of their blank expressions turn into sadistic looking smiles. All inhumanly spreading across their faces. She took a sharp turn and tripped.

"What's wrong little maiden? How are you supposed to make others HAPPY if you can't even make yourself HAPPY." There it was that awful word. The man before her looked like something from a B-Horror film and somehow he made the word happy sound demonic and unnatural. "You're so miserable I almost take pity on you....Almost....But for now, Adios." He disappeared into a mist of darkness which soon enveloped Estella. Tears welling in her eyes as if it were animate and began to choke her. "Hck.....Hck...Hck..."

My eyes shoot opened as I quickly examined the room. "School is getting to me. Of course a valedictorian was always busy with school, however University was different. Its where you can have a new start. I remember everyone telling me how great it was but why did life feel.....no different. Maybe a single dorm wasn't a good idea maybe I did need a quirky roommate to change my life like in those sitcoms. No I have plans today! I'm gonna go to that restaurant today. Yeah the one with the cute cook, and finally bond with someone today. With a happy thought in my mind I changed into my chiffon blouse and pleaded miniskirt.

She loved children.

They were innocent and unaware of the ugly that is the outside world. The aspiration to protect their smiles and laughter came to her like instinct.

For some reason, she didn't like the child peeking at her right now. Not one bit. If it wasn't unnerving enough to be spied on, it surely was disturbing to have a child leer at you with her face halfway hidden by the edge of a wall. That face was sticking out from the protruding piece of -

She hitched, seeing a slight shift of movement. Stubby fingers snaked out from the shadowed depths (why was it so dark beyond that line of sight?), clutching onto the white wall like a waiting lizard. Elvira didn't like the grin on its face. The thing's head was lowered somewhat, upper half of her face curtained by dark hair, but Elvira felt every ounce of violation and fear of eyes on her. It looked up-

-and Elvira realised she was wrong. That thing had no eyes after all.

It was a face (wake up!) with a grin and (please!) dark hair andstubbyfingers and (oh God please save me!) she's-

-

I rasp for breath and tensed as I lay curled up on my bed, quickly finding myself in deafening silence.

My eyes are kept closed - I never liked opening them until I really have to get out of bed and begin my day. Sometimes, after dreams like this, I wonder if I would ever want to uncover my eyes - I wonder if I would see that damned smile in my face ..

It has been .. a fraction of forever since I last had that dream .. Swallowing the unpleasant sense of foreboding, I tentatively steal a peep.

Once again, shaky relief washes over my traumatic system when I see nothing out of the usual in my room.

Without further ado, I fling off the crisp sheets and kick-started my day with every intent to toss this nightmare to the back of my mind where it belongs.

You were always a player. But you played my heart and won.

An unknown voice from a woman. Dorian never remembered her sweet voice but he felt hatred inside him.

Get out of my head. Get out of my damn head!

He was in his bed lying down with the sheets over him. On his left was an unknown woman rising up slowly.

Then she got out of the bed with more sheets wrapped around her. She started walking towards the door.

Aren't you going to ask me my name...? she said.

No because you're leaving and I don't even know you and don't want to. He was annoyed.

Aren't you going to ask me my name..? she said but in a demonic voice.

Huh? What the hell? Get out of my house lady!

I'll get out once I had my breakfast. She said in a deeper demonic voice.

Lady! Get the hell out!

She turned around with all black eyes and with a blacked out mouth. Kind of like a mask. Like the Vendetta mask.

The she jumped on top of him and was about to eat him alive.

You'll just hurt everyone just like all those people. You won't be missed..

Ah! I woke up startled. I sat up. Ugh, just another stupid dream about that crazy bitch. Jesus Christ.. I'm guessing it's trying to tell me not to have some fun. He started to smile and put a hand over his face and moved his red hair back. Whatever, I didn't need the sleep I guess, he muttered to himself. Well I don't need to work until later tonight. I went back to lying down to go back to sleep. It's just a stupid mask that isn't real. Whatever. I went back to sleep and just didn't think about the stupid dream-nightmare anymore.

"Look at the new watch Daddy got me." "Yeah its just another trip to Europe with the family but I'd rather be out partying." "Let's take my new sports car out today." How annoying. "Those people have mommy and daddy paying for their tuition. Ugh the dirty looks they give me don't help either." I thought to myself. It seemed like forever but soon all of my classes were finally over for the day. "Time for sweets!" I chimed. According to my philosophy you should always reward yourself after hard work and I think writing a eight page term paper was plenty of hard work. I strolled through town to my favorite restaurant. It was a bit of a walk but it was worth it in the end. Lately I've been coming to this restaurant that I became a regular. Today I had plans to have one on one time with one of the members of the fencing club.

I brushed off my skirt and tugged on the sleeves of my blouse then quietly sat down. I turned my head and smiled as I received my cafe au lait. Slowly sipping I waited for company.

Ten minutes

Twenty minutes

Thirty minutes

Oh my god I was stood up. "Why did this only happen to me.....?" I mumbled into my cup. A sad expression spread on my face wanting at least some form of company.

Late Afternoon - Elvira's Doll House

My current room is empty, sans the working table I am sitting at, and a cabinet in one end of the room. Most of my merchandise are kept in the storage room in the back. I keep a few prized ones in my own house. Aside from a windchime - violet, because I like that colour - and a set of pink see-through curtains pulled back by the window, my store is nearly naked.

I am so caught up with concentration to finish Louise, my new cloth doll, that I missed the chimes.

"Lady, do you do customisations?"

I don't want to respond verbally, and instead blink my eyes slowly then glance upwards. I don't have to look far. My patron is a pubescent-looking boy, topped with a bowling hat that a stray black curls peek out from, to match his crisp white shirt and black vest. I can see that he did his blue-and-purple-striped tie himself, since the knotwork looks amateur.

"Depends," I say to him, but my eyes are trained on his shoulder. His mother stopped ironing clothes for him; he had celebrated his coming-of-age recently, I surmised. There are wrinkles throughout his clothes.

He doesn't seem to notice my lack of eye contact. "Ah, well .. Can you do a modification to your usual dolls? One that looks like, um, a person?"

His lack of charisma bites my pride as a doll maker. "My children all look human," I snap in a quiet voice, glowering at the cloth doll in progress I am holding. I realised at one point that hardening my pronunciation without raising my volume was more than adequate to intimidate foolish strangers.

It works again.

"I'm sorry!" The boy appeases hastily, "I-I mean, can- .." I shoot him my trademark look; lowering my eyebrows, I stare at him through hooded eyes, lips pursed. Really, I never know what to say to idiots.

"Can you make one that looks just like her?" Her? I admit, I'm intrigued.

He pushes a rectangular piece of paper onto the tabletop. I see its white rims gliding atop the lines on my wooden tabletop. It's a photograph. The girl in the photo wore a sunhat and carried a parasol, bright smile brought out by her black hair. Or at least, I think it's black - the photograph is in sepia.

A shudder runs down my spine.

My thumb presses against the needle in my hand and I decide that this business is worth a proper conversation after all.

I don't ask for who she is. "For what purpose?" I do need to know, however, what occasion brought upon this choice of gift. After all, if he intends to use my dolls for those voodoo mumbo jumbo then ..

"Her name's Antoinette. She's going to celebrate her second coming-of-age soon," the boy sounds bashful here, "I remember that she says she wants a memento to capture her 15-year-old beauty forever."

I blink again and study his profile, unsure if I should comment on alternatives he could have thought of; like-

"Photos are cliché and she'd have to be there for me to take a proper shot. But that would take away the surprise, you know? I don't think Antoinette would appreciate it if I took candid photos of her.."

It is a pity that he sounds genuinely worried, and I am just holding back a smirk. There are so many forms of art, and he thinks of the most popular one only. Typical of a simpleton.

I press my fingertips on the Polaroid photo and slide it towards me, holding it daintily between my fingers.

He appears elated at my gesture. "So you'll do it?! You'll make a doll that looks just like Antoinette?!"

With the slightest movement required, I nod. "Two weeks," I speak. Even if I talk quietly, I don't mumble. I don't like repeating myself, after all.

"Great!" This boy has too much energy for me. His perky voice is starting to conjure headaches for me. If only some of that volume can go to my dolls, then maybe I wouldn't be so lonely sometimes.

"I'll come back then! Her birthday's in a month! Remember!" He walks to my door and opens it, (the windchimes ringing) stepping out with an obnoxious thud. It leaves me wondering how thuds can sound obnoxious for a moment. He's gone.

Which is good, because I don't- I don't like loud noises ..

My amber eyes fall back their gaze onto the photograph again. Back to work.

Late Afternoon - Checastle Town Library

Today was a quiet which great opinion with myself. Although the dream I had this morning has been apparent in every little thing I did today. I'd be putting returned books back up on the shelves, taking a quick look at the cover and there it was; that same mask. Whenever somebody asked me a question, it would end with 'why so unhappy?'. Thinking back on it, I did something along the lines of 'do I look unhappy?', to which which the curt response was 'what are you on about?'.

"A frantic day it was," I muttered as I went to gather my things for home, "Well, considering it's a Monday it's not as if I could ask for a quiet one now could I?"

"It's like trying to get blood from a stone Seeker, it simply doesn't happen," was the familiar mocking, albeit friendly tone of his colleague Lucy Wilson.

"Lucy," I remark, smirking at her comment, "Heading on home to a glass of wine are you? To wind off? I'd love to join you but unless you have some 7UP in that house of yours, it looks like I'll spend the day at home."

"I wouldn't invite you into my home if all the vineyards in Checastle went dry," she laughed, placing a hand on his shoulder with a firm shake, "You look as if you need it, did you sleep at all last night? The bags under your eyes must have gained ten pounds."

Although many of conversations may seem as if were mocking each other, we've known each other for a good a few years at this stage of the game, so her worry was reassuring.

"Just had a little nightmare last night is all," I blurted out, closing my eyes for a moment, "Nothing too worry about, some sleep will do me good."

Before she could reply, I perked myself up and walked out of the building into the cold night air, the face of every person he walked by off the same, maniacal grin.

I was out again like always. Smelling of cloves and spicy cologne to try and reel in some girls. It worked..of course, just like it always did. I had a cute little blonde girl under my arm and she probably thought I was going to bring her home and show her a fun time. Ha! I never take them home..its fun to play around with them all night then see their face of disbelief as he leaves them on the sidewalk. "Want to hit up a club babe?" I pulled my usual smile making her feel comfortable and hot under that short dress of hers. She giggled like they always do, "Sure handsome..gonna buy me ad drink?" Of course..they always wanted a drink. But why not. "Of course anything for you.." I walked to the nearest nightclub that I was known for bringing all different women to and then leaving, so of course the bouncer knew me and just shook his head as he let us pass. The music was bumping and loud and not to long after being inside did I have the dumb girl under my spell.

It was a chilly night but any colder than it had been lately. I have a nice coat to keep me warm so this wasnt going to be any different than my usual nights at the park. My cello was cold in my hand but familiar, probably one of the few things that make me feel pleasant anymore. And the late night park goers always seemed to enjoy her free shows. I was sitting in my usual spot on a bench by a lamp post so I could see my strings. I played with my eye closed my breath showing on the cold night air. I had forgot to put my hair up like usual so of course as I played it fell infront of my face and draped over my shoulders in a sheet of black. I didnt take money for playing so sometimes people would hand money to me, but I never take it and I always ignore them. I just want to play to keep myself form going mad and because I wasnt ready for sleep.

(The song she is playing for those interested but only the cello parts not the piano)

[media]

[/media]

I slept until the afternoon; once I woke up, I just checked my surroundings just to make sure I was alone. God..some stupid dream. Well who cares anyway? It's not real. I headed to take a shower and to get ready for the day. In a few hours, I'll start my shift to do some quick-trade offs with a couple of other junkies who needed some drugs. I got out of the shower and put on my worn out jacket and boots. I gotta say..I do look pretty badass in these clothes. I started to walk out the door when I realized something on the table..a piece of paper actually. "Call me so we can hang again baby?" Ugh. I must've been pretty wasted to not remember anyone. I crumpled up the paper and threw it in my sink. Goodbye what's your name. Then I left to go eat.

I brushed the bangs from my eyes as I noticed a few more people walk in. It looked like a group of thugs. This town had a lot of those much to my dismay. I quickly looked back at my half full cup of coffee and hope they didn't notice me. Of course this was my favorite restaurant but that doesn't mean that the usual thug won't come in every so often. They probably wanted to look for trouble before they got high or wasted. Pulling out a few bills out of my bag for my drink I tried my best to make it out of the restaurant.

"Whoa...Look a college girl!" "She looks lonely...and a bit desperate." "Hehe she's cute, maybe she wants to go out back."

"Ugh! Filthy pigs!" I blurted out without thinking. Of course they were. Look at them Estella, they totally were druggies. They can't find anything better to do so they pick on a poor kid like you.

"Shes got a mouth! But I think we can shut her up..." And like that he quickly grabbed me and took me outside. He reeked like weed but I bet that wasn't all he did. How uncouth. Before he had a chance to do anything I did what was natural in self defense. I opened my mouth and clamped my teeth into the skin of his arm until it started to bleed. He cussed and let go of me. I quickly ran from the thugs.

"Not my flats...." I mumbled at my poor choice of footwear continuing to run. Before I reached the corner I bumped into a redhead. He looked like he going out for some shady business. For all I knew he probably knew the men back there too. I froze for a second.

"H-help me....Please...Men..Are trying to hurt me" I managed to say while out of breath. What was I suppose to say. There were thugs behind me and he was the only man near me. I didn't even know this redhead's name but it was worth a shot.

(I think that it would be in my best interest just to postpone it until I get a better understanding of the new layout. Sorry about this now!)

(Non-cannon Ending: So after being chased by the smiley man all six protagonist soon intervened with each other. Realizing how each character were in the same situation they formed a bond. There was explosions, development, and plot. Some changed others found love. Granted it was awkward at first but they all came to realize how they loved each other. Instead of fighting who got who, they all agreed to a polyamory relationship. They made love everyday and especially to Estella who just turned 18 so it was totally okay! They were finally HAPPY. So the monster was finally gone. P.s: The wedding was amazing)

OOC: This thread has three endings-

1. Merged by a staff member. This has to be requested in the Roleplay Support (link in homepage). First, make a new Roleplay Thread after picking a prefix (Novice, Intermediate, Advanced). Three sub-boards will be available (In-Character, Out of Character, Sign-Ups). Once you see that, take any one of these boards' link and copy it.

Open a new thread in Roleplay Support and paste this link in the description of your thread. Title your thread into something like, "Merge Request". Then, copy the link to this old RP thread. Paste it into your RS thread as well - I don't know if it matters but I specified which is the old thread.

Within a few hours, the roleplay will be merged into one thread, and will be listed in the new collection of roleplays.

2. We continue posting as is, though I am not sure what the fate of this thread is months away from now. We are, after all, in "storeroom" format right now. However, I am having trouble getting notification about this thread. I don't suggest this, even if #1 sounds troublesome. We also lack OOC thread which is infuriating for me.

3. We terminate this project, unfortunately.

WAIT!

Are we already merged? Where are the other sub-boards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back