• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Weird Wars: The Wulfhart Debacle

"Thank you sir." She bean sipping her tea slowly, pouring over all of the information he had given her. When she finished reading the papers, she sat quietly,sipping her tea. Did he really think she was capable of such things? To take down someone with such...power...It was frightening...yet, she was excited by the prospect as well. "Sir," she addressed the servant. "Would you mind fetching the document that is required to accept this task? And telling the dear Dr. I accept his offer?" She sat back in the chair, sipping her tea some more. Paid amply. She liked the sound of that.

Michelle scowled, plonking back into her seat. Fumbling for the pen, she scribbled her name on the contract, roughly shoving it to the next victim.

She glowered around her, feeling more out of place and uncomfortable than she had before.

Apparently the man Günther had given a stern talking to couldn’t take a hint. He couldn’t just let things go, oh no, he had to take another jab at the poor young woman having an emotional moment. Günther had half a mind to waltz on over there and spit on his face, but that thought process was quickly silenced. Yet another man, this one wearing a trench coat and looking like a private eye or something along those lines, took over. With his words, everyone was silenced. But that didn’t stop Günther from purposely eyeing the lady-offender and giving him a cold, narrow-eyed stare, silently daring him to cross the line again.

Turning his head back to face forward, Günther weaved his fingers together and placed them on his lap, trying in vain to calm himself. He closed his eyes and breathed out rather audibly, attempting to center himself. It wasn’t long after that a soft, sweet voice drifted into his ear. His eyelids jumped open and his gaze shifted towards the speaker, only to find that it was the fair lady with the crimson locks again. She was truly a sight for sore eyes to say the least. Her gentle smile lifted his spirit and what she said reassured Günther that he had some the right thing after all. He responded with a small smile of his own and whispered back to her, “Thank you, my lady. And chivalry is not dead…only here in America it been neglected. It is still live and well in my homeland.”. He paused to take in her beauty, trying not to offend her with his staring. A mere moment or two passed before a sudden realization hit him like a lead brick smacked across his face. “Oh! I apologize…” he murmured to the lady he was gazing upon, “…I completely forgotten to introduce myself! I am Dr. Günther Meinrad Hartmut, but you may call me Hart. Apparently Günther is a little hard for Americans to pronounce correctly.”. He gave a little chuckle, hoping to make light of the situation set before them. ‘My, my…she was such beautiful eyes. Such a unique pair of smoky grey ones. A man could get lost forever in them.’ he thought to himself. The world and its commotion seemed to fall away as he took in her beauty, much like a set of earmuffs would drown out background noise.

Maeve was hardly oblivious to most things, but to some things she was acutely aware... One of those things was just how aesthetically attractive she was. It wasn't a matter of ego, but pure reasoning that had brought her to this conclusion, but she would have been a fool if she didn't carefully use her good looks to her advantage. She had gotten herself out of many a tough situation, simply by utilizing what the Good Lord had given her, and while she wasn't arrogant, she also wasn't nearly humble enough to be embarrassed about it.

Of course, this also meant there would be more than enough awkward staring and ogling to go around, but she was hardly incapable of taking care of herself and sometimes, on the rare occasion, she didn't mind so much. It helped, of course, when the person staring wasn't entirely difficult to look themselves.

Never one to blush, she nevertheless felt a flush of heat creeping the length of her throat, coloring her cheeks and, shaking her head, she looked away from the German, conceding defeat, only this once. He was a charmer, to be sure... she would need to be especially cautious around this one.

"A pleasure, Hart... And mine is Maeve, in case you missed it, earlier. I look forward to working with you."

Conner stared right back at the German. The women wanted to be treated like men, so he treated them like one. He was quickly starting to dislike many people in this room. Perhaps he was just tired. If he was he would apologize in the morning.

Gwyn couldn't help but feel like she was being ignored. And all the fightin' goin on. Added to the fact that everyone was starting to hate each other. And some were hitting on others and that kid looked just about to bleed to death still. She sighed and encapsulating all her emotions into a sentence she enunciated precisely and slowly, "Will someone please tell me if I get to work on my walkers or not." Then moment as task complete she

Made herself a cup of damn good coffee and poured in some whiskey from her hip flask. And then Sipped it quietly, watching for a reaction.

Torrence yawned and stretched. The room was warm and the lights low, the plush chair in which she sat was so comfortable, she almost didn't want to get up out of it. She was aware of the thunder still crashing outside, it was as good as a lullaby to her.

"Can I be taken to a room please, I'm getting rather tired, what time's breakfast anyways?" She said amidst a yawn.

She stood and rubbed her eyes, the action making her look like a child. She followed the servant to her room.

"If you should need anything else madam, simply ask." The servant said in a kind voice.

"Thank you sir, but I think I'll be fine, for the time being." She smiled and turned toward the bed.

It was huge, and it looked comfortable, She opened her bag and took out her bed clothes. A simple gown of silk the color of the sea, her mothers. She divested herself and dressed herself in the fine silk.

Aye, mum...
she thought. I miss ya..

She laid herself down on the bed and within moments, was asleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
@theunderwolf

Dr. MacCormick walked to the middle of the room, hoping to further calm the nerves of his guests. The late hour was definitely getting to them, and if there was to even be a smidgen of team loyalty left by morning, he would have to wrap things up quickly. First turning to the impatient redheaded woman, he replied, "Yes, your prototyping and inventing skills will most certainly be needed. You needn't worry about a shortage in that area."

"Well then," he said quickly to the rest of the group, "since you all have accepted my offer, there is nothing more to discuss tonight. We will meet back in this room at ten o'clock tomorrow morning after breakfast to discuss our first assignment. Until then, my servants will show you to your rooms. Your luggage and belongings have already been brought to them. Good night!"

@Elixanator

As he watched the people filing out of the room, he walked over to the young woman who had been weeping moments before. "My dear child, I am perfectly aware of your disability, and have always been aware, yet it has not deterred me from hiring you. Despite what you may think, you are capable of far more than you think. I believe from records I acquired from your doctor that you may have an incredibly rare and powerful form of the Sight, capable of seeing more than just invisible Fey, which is why I sought you out. You do not need to worry about being rejected because of a simple problem with your eyes. Look at me, do I look as if I am in peak condition to you?"

Michelle started to trail out of the room with everyone else, but was stopped by the doctor. She listened intently, and felt a small smile on her face.

"You look perfectly well to me sir," she jested. "Not a day over thirty." She smiled at him and hesitantly reached for him, giving him a small, friendly hug.

"Thanks," she said genuinely.

His small gesture had done a lot for her, even that small chance that she was useful and special made her feel like she could help.

Determination crossed her face. "I will do my best,"

Watcher went into his room, his bag and rifle was in there, there was also a warm cup of tea sitting on a desk, he took a sip of it, a rich earl grey, not his favorite but it worked for him. He noticed his coat and accessories were placed on a trunk, freshly clean, as well as another pair of clothes set aside for him. He quickly flashed back to when he performed numerous tasks like this, and the slightest slip up would mean a beating, that is if he was lucky. He shook his head, such memories brought back a lot of pain. He stepped into the shower letting the arm water run down him. When he got out he went straight to his rifle, he began his routine cleaning of it, making sure every peace was in a high functioning state.

Conner ignored how his room looked and went straight for the shower. He wanted to wash off what was left of the rain and mud and to forget about that meeting. As he stood there, water washing over him, he decided that he was just tired. 'A tired man does stupid things' was what his grandpa would have said. He would apologize to the three in the morning. Getting out and dressed for the night, which was just some pajama bottoms, Conner flops into bed and immediatly falls asleep.

Torrence shoot up out of her bed. She had just had the worst nightmare she'd had in a while. Her father was back, and drunk, again. Only this time he had brought friends. She shook her head of such thoughts and got up. She walked to the door and slowly opened it. "Hello?" She ventured out into the hallway and nearly collided with a servant. "Oh! I'm so sorry! I was u-uh wondering if I could uh get some tea." She asked nervously.

A small chuckle ruffled in Günther’s throat as Maeve turned away, blushing ever-so slightly. It was a somewhat childish move that he loved, and his heart softened a bit at the sight. But of course his anxiety took over shortly thereafter. ‘What if she doesn’t really like you?’ the voice in his head asked, ‘But it looks like she does…but what if she really does have an interest in me? Where do I go from here? Dating?! No, no, no…I don’t date. I remember what happened last time. That was an unmitigated disaster. Wait, wait, shut up, she’s talking again.’. His inner thought monologue was thankfully derailed by Maeve’s sweet-as-honey voice, gently reminding him of her name and stating that she would be looking forward to working with him.

“I believe we could make a great team, you and I.” Günther replied, “And I did catch your name earlier, but we were interrupted before I got the chance to respond. I apologize for making you wait so long for my reply.”. The sound of their, for lack of a better word, employer, broke off the pair’s conversation and announced the schedule for the rest of the night and the following morning. At the mention of accepting an offer, Günther’s eyes squinted shut and he mentally kicked himself for forgetting to so the one thing he needed to do that day: sign the contract. He cursed in his native tongue under his breath and stood. “Please pardon me, my lady, but I seem to have forgotten to sign something. Please wait here for a moment.” he stated to Maeve before dashing over to the most important document in the room. Picking up the pen, his hand danced on the parchment, signing his full name in a flourish of elegant lettering. As soon as that task was complete, Günther waltzed back over to his conversation partner and sat down once again. “Now where was I? Oh now I remember. I meant to ask you if you needed help with unpacking your luggage.” he asked the lady next to him with the wine-colored hair, silently hoping they wouldn’t have to part so early on in the evening.

(( @WinterPeach ))

“I believe we could make a great team, you and I. And I did catch your name earlier, but we were interrupted before I got the chance to respond. I apologize for making you wait so long for my reply.” His response and subsequent apology were surprising, to say the least. If he wasn't the most polite German Maeve had ever encountered she wasn't sure who would be. It was certainly a refreshing thought, that even in times of war, when they were signing up to throw their lives on the line, someone could still maintain a sense of propriety and manners.

"Think nothing of it..." Maeve said, with a smile, "I'd wager we were all pretty anxious to get started. Besides... no harm done, right? I still got a name out of you, eventually."

She winked, then sat back as he continued, watching while he reached over to sign the contract. When he had returned to her side, the lilt of his accented voice, for the first time, felt easy and relaxed. The hard part for the evening was out of the way, it seemed, and now they could simply enjoy the company of new colleagues.

“Now where was I?" He continued, "Oh now I remember. I meant to ask you if you needed help with unpacking your luggage.”

A brow quirked then, at his words, and Maeve looked Günther up and down, trying to decipher any hidden agenda or insinuations in the suggestion. After a moment's consideration, she decided he hadn't meant anything beyond a straight forward gesture of assistance and nodded, rising to her feet "Sure. There's not much, but I don't mind the company. Besides... a place this big, I'm likely to get lost if I wander off on my own."

Watcher sat admiring his rifle, he undid the screws on the barrel, allowing it to be removed, he disassembled the trigger, he began by running cool water down the inner of the barrel, all of the gunpowder turning the water black as it emptied, he then began to run a pipe cleaner down, he did it carefully, making sure he managed to get any bits out and the barrel was clear, he then polished it setting it aside. He then oiled all of the inner mechanics of the trigger, he delicately reassembled it. He then oiled the clip connection. After all of it was done he set his rifle aside, laying on it's side. He sat in the middle of the floor, in an almost meditative state. He was whispering to himself, names of all the criminals he has killed, and then all the ones he has yet to. Today he would embrace a new name "Helmut Wulfhart" he muttered, "Helmut Wulfhart." He kept on saying it over and over again, each time with his picture secured in his face. This way he'll know him through his barrel be it 10 meters or 1,000.

The unexpected quirked brow from Maeve took Günther by surprise. He wasn’t trying to insinuate anything, but he could see how a woman could misinterpret his genuine offer of help. ‘Günther, you idiot!’ he was mentally kicking himself once again, ‘You know perfectly well what that could be misconstrued into! Choose your words carefully…don’t let your emotions play into your speech again.’. After reprimanding himself, Günther smiled faintly as the lady’s response, glad that she saw past his awful word choice. “Good, good! But I was thinking...should we go and help the others set up for the night? Like that one lady that was feeling insecure about her disabilities? I am sure she would welcome the assistance.” he implored. Honestly, he just wanted an excuse to get to know the other members of the team. He had to know what sort of people he was going to be interacting with as soon as possible, if for no other reason than to know how to act around them and who to avoid if he could.

Michelle settled into her room, peering around her curiously. The room was of decent size, a plush bed, plenty of storage. Her soaked suitcase had already been carefully places by the oil heater, and she felt it quickly.

The material was still sopping wet, and Kem suspected without opening it, most of her clothing could be ruined.

Nonetheless, she yanked at the buckles and dug around the damp clothes to find something warmer. Her hands closed around a slightly wet, mostly dry, cotton dress, complete with a corset. It was the best available to Michelle at the time, so she slipped to a slide and peeled off her wet clothes and jacket.

Once changed, she felt a little better, perched by the heater, her bare feet sticking out from the hen to be warmed. She wiggled around and prepared to spend the night.

@Elle Joyner

As the rest of the group dispersed to their rooms, John made his way towards the door, then stopped when he made it out of the room, and waited. "Betty will have to come out that door sooner or later," he thought coldly. "And I'm gonna be here to meet her. And then I'm getting some answers."

When the young woman finally exited, John quickly stepped in front of the staircase leading upstairs. He held up his hand and began talking before she had a chance to react.

"Betty, I don't want to hear any small talk. I don't want you to react like nothing happened. I don't want any evasion or beating around the bush. I want you to tell me exactly what the hell happened, and what the hell you are doing here." He paused for a second as a well of feelings burst forth inside the pit of his stomach. "Why-" his voice cracked with emotion. "Why did you leave? I've spent the last three years wondering what on God's green earth happened to you. I wasn't sure if you were dead, or kidnapped, or if you just left me because of something that I did. You owe me one damn good explanation for all this!" His usually guarded face betrayed the hurt and frustration welling up. There was silence for a few moments.

"Well?"

A dull, muffled thudding noise slowly hammered its way into her head. It was like thunder, or cannons firing underwater. She stirred slightly, her senses waking up. The noise became louder. She cracked one eye open. The room was dark, except for a little lantern thing that cast a dim glow on the concrete walls. She sat up slowly, her whole body throbbing with a slight pain. Where was she? Where was Finn? She tried to think. There she was, curling her hair for her wedding, then her uncle showed up. Her uncle she hadn't seen in ten years, the one who ran away to America, to a place called Arkham. Then what? He showed up, she had been surprised, there was a flash of light and heat, and now she was here. Where was she, and what was that distant booming sound?

Wait. She squinted. She knew this room! It was a storage room in her cellar, but now it was empty - empty shelves, empty barrels, just a strange round lantern thing hanging by a wire. She frowned and investigated it. It was glass, and shaped rather like a pear, but the flame inside didn't flicker, it held steady. Her inventor brain was whirring. Perhaps it ran off of carbon filament? Maybe she could adapt its use for 3-CPO.

A boom shook the house. Was it an earthquake? Artillery? Something worse? She steadied herself and decided to look upstairs. She pushed open a metal door where a wooden one had been (strange) and gasped at what she saw.

Her house had been damaged by fire and explosion. Very little of it still stood, as it was now a smoldering pile of ash and dust. What was even stranger was London - the city seemed to be on fire, lit with a hellish glow as strange metallic devices roared and flew above. They were unlike any airships she and her grandfather had prototyped, and they were shooting down canisters that exploded and rained down death upon the hapless city. She could hear screams

A man in a wide brimmed helmet took notice of her and shouted, "Miss! Get back inside! Are ya mad?"

"What in hell is happening?" She called out, fear on her face.

BOOM! One of the airships was hit by a shot from the ground, instantly cutting off the soldier's reply. It shot down in a fiery blaze, like an Armageddon flame, a comet of doom.

"GET BACK INSIDE!" The man screamed at her, running away and diving for cover.

Her heart froze. She flung open the metal door and scurried inside, slamming it behind her. The wrecked airship hit the ground, throwing her off balance and into a corner. Slightly dazed and very afraid, Dolphin hugged her knees tightly and waited for the metal storm to pass.

( ^_^ )

(( @WinterPeach ))

He seemed sincerely mortified by her perception over his inadvertently suggestive wording and for a split second, Maeve considered teasing the German over it, but it had been an honest mistake and he had already been properly embarrassed on his own.

“Good, good! But I was thinking...should we go and help the others set up for the night? Like that one lady that was feeling insecure about her disabilities? I am sure she would welcome the assistance.” He continued, and Maeve shook her head, chuckling softly. He really was one of the nicest people she’d ever encountered before, “Wasn’t enough to rescue her from the bullies, hmm? Something tells me, though, that she’ll do just fine, with how the Doc handled it. Besides, I figured we'd all be gettin' properly acquainted over breakfast. But if you really want to go knockin’ on doors, we can do that…”

Rising from her seat, she stretched, then removed her leather, fingerless gloves, rubbing absently at a kink in her neck, “We’d better get ourselves settled in, first, though. I dunno how many rooms this place has, but if anyone else shows up, we’ll be bunkin’ on the couch, you and I.

~~

(( @CrimsonAvenger77 ))

Some part of her… that same part of her that had contemplated leaving altogether when she had first picked up the whiff of that damnable cigar, considered sitting in that room until sunrise… hoping and praying that John would somehow, by some inexplicable trick of fate or miracle of God forget who she was, or the slight she had done him, all those years ago.

But it was stupid. He couldn’t forget any more than she could and she was only wasting time, delaying the inevitable. At last, when the room was nearly empty, she rose from her chair, took a deep breath, straightened upright and walked out… narrowly colliding with the same private eye she’d been meaning to find, on her own.

Clever boy.

He was matter of fact when he spoke, and it was only fair, but when he fell silent, leaving the ball in her proverbial court, she was almost shell shocked by his open display of emotion and words seemed to fail her. How many times had she thought to go back? How many times had she wanted to write, or call… A telegram even. But something, all this time, had held her back and standing there in front of him she couldn’t think of any reasonable explanation what or why, and it was infuriating.

Lowering her gaze, unable to meet his own stony eyes she shook her head, “It’s a pretty long story, John… You really wanna hear it, standing in the middle of a hallway?”

Last edited by a moderator:
@Elle Joyner

John hung his head between his hands, and didn't speak for a few seconds. He was torn. On the one hand, he wasn't sure he wanted to know why she had left. Maybe they could just pick up where they had left off. On the other hand, he needed to know what had happened. The realm of the unknown had always maddened him. The room was silent for another moment as he stood, torn. Then he raised his head. "You're right. I'll have some tea brought to my room. We can talk there."

He turned and started up the stairs.

Gwyn sighed and walked up the steps, taking the lack of lab personally. She wasn't going to be able to do any fun tinkering. and thus would not be able to sleep. and she needed to sleep so she could wae up and do more fun tinkering. vicious cycle. She muttered her way to a room. And stepped in. It was a modest arrangement, bed, dresser carpet. It would not do at all. in a flash, the bed was disassembled and in a corner (wit directions for its re-assemblage of course, she didn't want to be rude.) the dresser was made into a drawing board using one of her massive slips of design paper and finally she hung up her hammock and punching bag. "Now that thats done, she thought, I can finally beat the crap out of something tonight" And after strippping down to her Shirt and slacks, began to punch the bag.

(( @CrimsonAvenger77 ))

It was dangerous, and it was terrifying, opening old wounds... but Betty had spent so many years now, wracked with guilt over how she had left things and there was something encouraging in being able to find closure, even if that was the only thing they were able to achieve. That, and if she were honest, it was really great to see him again.

Later, when they had settled in his room around a small, delicate tea set, Betty nervous fixed herself a cup before leaning into the large, overstuffed wing-back chair. Taking a sip, she contemplated asking for some spirits for the tea, but figured it would probably be better to say what she had to say without the comfort of alcohol...

"...Pauly came back." She started, finally, the quiver in her voice indicative of the impact the mobster had had on her, even so many years later, "...His goons... That night, when you were working, I went to the club. It was stupid, I know, but it had been so long, and I figured it couldn't hurt. Jim asked me for the favor, and I thought... no harm, no foul. But halfway through the set, they came in. They walked in the front door, sat down right by the stage and just... they just stared at me. And I knew why they were there. Why else would they be there. Sure enough... right after the set, they met me at the stairs and told me Pauly had made bail. That he was asking about me. That he wanted me to be there, when he came home."

Lowering her gaze, she stared into her cup at the liquid, sloshing back and forth against the porcelain, "First night back, he dislocated my shoulder, cause I didn't come visit him in the joint. Johnny... You don't just walk away from someone like Paul Giantonello. I knew what would happen if I'd tried to run, and I knew what would happen if I'd come back to you... even if it was just to say goodbye. I couldn't risk it. Only way I got clear of him was a year and half ago, after he caught the wrong end of a bullet..."

Frowning, she turned up her gaze to meet his eyes, "I'm sorry Johnny. By... by the time I got out... by the time I got away, I figured it was to late to come back. The more time went by, I just didn't know how to come back... I understand if you hate me, I do. And I know it's not exactly any consolation... but... but I just couldn't bear the thought of them hurting you."

[ @Elle Joyner ]

A rather large yawn emerged from Günther’s mouth as Maeve removed her leather gloves, making him finally realize just how tired he was. “On second thought, it might be a good idea for us to turn in for the night.” he stated, “It has been a long journey for both of us, ja?”. A small, exhausted-looking smile briefly came and went on his face before he gently placed his hand on the woman’s shoulder, “Shall we find an empty room for you?”. He secretly hoped they would find two empty rooms, since he needed some privacy to take some notes on the day’s activities. No one knew that he kept a journal but he liked to keep one around, if for nothing more than to write down scientific discoveries or random musings of that day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back