• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Wayfaring Stranger [Closed]

Priya

kyber child

1300x698_566_Lost_Road_2d_landscape_post_apocalyptic_picture_image_digital_artThibault_Fischer.jpg

There is only one road now.

I am told there used to be more like this one. "There are no roads like this one," I say.

We have been walking for as long as I can remember. We walk on, we ward off the bandits and slavers, we find shelter, we find food, and we walk.

Days, weeks, months, years. It is blurry and muddled. The sun never rises, so we count the minutes each day and sleep when we're tired. We pass ruins of buildings, houses, shops. I am told there were cities here. Towns full of lively people. The only people here now want to kill us, steal from us, or kidnap us. But I like the stories.

We walk on the where the land meets the water, but I have begun to think that the road is all there is. All there was. All there will be.

So we walk on.​

It was dark. Indy guessed it was probably around twilight, if there had been a sun. She looked up briefly, taking in all the light that was left, and walked on. Indiana often walked down the center of the road, so it would be a bit of a run for bandits or slavers trying to reach her from either side. She gripped her katana blade firmly in her right hand, wary of attackers. Only two groups of bandits had attempted a raid on her today, which was both relieving and worrying. She knew something was coming. She could feel it.

Regardless, Indiana walked on down the road, traveling in the only direction she had ever gone, alone. Her stride never wavered, her gaze fixed on the horizon. Danger was ever-present, but so was hope, and Indy favored the latter as she marched down the center of the path.

Blood splattered on Kanon's shoes as she stabbed a rabid wolf, struggling to keep it at bay with her knives alone. Finally, with the creature snapping at her neck, she got ahold of her gun lying three feet away and shot it in the head, tossing the limp body to the side and getting to her feet. Kanon swayed for a couple seconds before righting herself and cringing at the blood smeared over her torso. What a hassle, she thought. It'd take days to find new clothes. Shaking her head, Kanon picked up her bag and started back down the road, rubbing her eyes drowsily.

"Zya. Stop," Jae ordered his lizard, who kept chewing on the strap of his backpack. "I just fed you." Still, the lizard showed no signs of obedience. Unable to bring himself to discipline her, Jae let her keep chewing and surveyed the area around them, keeping watch for attackers. They were common at night, but he had yet to encounter more than one group. It was odd, but he wasn't complaining. If anything, he could use the rest. It had been two days since he last slept and Jae wasn't pleasant when overworked.

Kahn is sitting behind the remnants of a flipped car. His target should be here. He glances back towards his truck, parked about a half mile away, and unslings his bow. He fits a triple-bladed, light arrow to it, takes a breath, and leans over the side of his car. He only sees a purple-haired girl, with a scar on her face. Confused, he leans back, and skims through the letter he was given. The purple hair and scar matched, but he had assumed his target would be male. His target was wanted for killing off a camp, known as Honeyside.

...Honeyside.

Wires in Kahn's head brushed together as he remembered the camp. It did not deserve its lighthearted name. It was a horrible place. Many of its residents were thieves, the rest corrupted assassins and mercenaries. Why would someone contact him to kill an avenger? He leaned back over the side of the truck, and his eyes widened slightly as he began noticing her. Her rugged, yet still feminine walk, the rips in holes in her clothes... Kahn quickly turned back, shaking his head violently. What the hell was wrong with him lately? He sighed, then stood, purposely banging the end of his bow against the junked car to make a loud sound.

Moon stumbles down the road, growing tired from lack of sleep. She has not sleep in a few days, fearing the unknown that would come if she stopped to close her eyes. She watched the ground, only glancing up every so often. Her eyes quickly scan the dirt and gravel for signs of unique treasures.

The young woman spots an odd shaped object and excitedly pulls a tin can out from under a fallen traffic light. She grins and gently strokes her finger over the item. However, before she puts in her bag, the rim of the can cuts her index finger, causing blood to drip over the metal side. Moon yells at the can in frustration and throws it over her shoulder. That item did not deserve to be in her presence any longer.

Moon moves on, now with a slight frown and a bloody finger. She doesn't bother to stop the bleeding.

Indiana whipped around at the sound of something clanging on metal, her eyes darting immediately to watch a figure ride from behind some old clunker. She drew her revolver with lightning precision, taking aim before the silhouette took a step. It appeared masculine from a distance, but out here, one could never be sure. "What do you want?" she yelled across the path and a few feet of ash and mud to the old car. Indy took a deep breath. She had known something was coming, and now it was here. The hand with her blade in it raised up to her eye-level, ready for close-combat if it came to that. It often did, as not many people out here had access to functioning firearms.

At the sound of the slightest shuffling of feet, Jae whipped around and set his sights with one of his executioners, eyes narrowing in suspicion. It was about time he was targeted. It had been eerily quiet all day, unnerving to anyone who had travelled the road for long. Best case scenario, it was a mouse. Worst case, it was Jack the Ripper. "W-Wait!" a tiny voice called out. "Don't shoot, please!" Before him stood a girl no older than eight, barely clothed and malnourished. "I'm Ferria. I lost m-my mom. I don't know where to go. Please," she begged, "help me."

Jae relaxed, but only externally. He was way too wary of this girl to let down his guard. "Ferria? That's a pretty name." Kneeling down, he gently patted her hair. "Tell you what: I'll let you tag along, and we can keep an eye out for your mom on the way, okay? Sound good?" Ferria nodded and Jae gave a tiny smile, standing up and walking again with the girl at his side.

Kanon halted and hid behind an old dumpster as she heard two people interacting ahead of her. They were a good bit out, but the sound carried well enough for her to mind her distance. The shout sounded like it came from a woman, most likely a young woman at that. Kanon's instinct warned her to wait it out, but a tug at her heart urged her to find a companion. She hadn't held a civil conversation is ages. When was the last time she had a friend? Nonetheless, she kept quiet behind the dumpster, observing from a distance.

Kahn took a breath, and spoke. "Hi. Did you happen to kill off a bunch of people from a camp called..." Kahn pretended to rack his mind. "...Honeyside? 'cause if so, someone wants you dead." He propped his chin up on his hand, against the junker. "Not saying I'm planning on killing you. Not yet, anyway." On the outside, he seemed rather intimidated by the gun pointing at his head, but inside, he was counting through every possible scenario, and how he would be able to get through it. He made sure his bow was out of sight, leaning against the car.

Indiana clenched her jaw. "Thanks for the heads up. Now beat it, will you?" the man was giving Indy an uncomfortable and uneasy feeling, and wanted to be rid of him. A nagging thought reminded her that he was probably armed and wouldn't hesitate to engage her if necessary.

Kahn vaulted over the car, landing in a sitting position on top of it. "You still haven't answered my question. Would be a shame to kill someone I wanted to spare." He unsheathed a knife, and began flipping it in the air and catching it, seemingly bored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back