[Violet Sorrows of the Perfected Lotus] Return to the Emerald Lotus Pagoda

Ebon_Arbiter

Grand Abolisher
Kenji finished his talk with Nazri, greeted him for a last time and left his company, quite exhilarated by the fact that he had just met another of his peers, who held a position of significant authority - that of the Chair for the Convention of Fire - and also one who seemed to place the Bureau business higher than those of any individual faction. What's more, he had treated him with kindness and respect and regarded his youthful eagerness as an asset rather than a nuissance, promising to give him a task to perform, in his area of influence and responsibility.

Afterwards, he approached Leliana, warning her covertly, to be very careful in her dealings with Fakharu and his associates, after complimenting her once again for her beauty and for giving him a most memorable evening of star gazing. They stayed together for a while, savoring more of the celestial wine provided, as Kenji reminded her of some of their happiest times since they met, in an effort to reinforce their relationship - due to the sliver of worrying inserted in his heart by May Blossom's words - and then Kenji excused himself and bid her farewell, to return and report to his sifu, on the outcome of his assignment.

He walked to his destination, all the while rethinking the various discussions he had earlier, with Leliana, Holok, May Blossom and Nazri and the meaning of their words. As he approached the Emerald Lotus Pagoda, his sifu's manse, that he utilized as training grounds, he composed himself, clearing his thoughts and concentrated on the matter of his assignment. He knocked on the heavy wooden door of the courtyard and awaited.

Apologies for the delay, holidays tend to mess up with my normal schedule. I'm not sure if what I wrote above was according to what you mentioned as a likely situation for Kenji, I just thought to continue it in case my sifu would have a "debriefing" of sorts for me. To be honest, I'm not that good in acting indepedently, I'm more used in having a scene established and then interacting within it, plus I didn't want to throw your story off course with a situation I might imagine that would not fit to your scenario. Thank you for your patience and your efforts. :D

Emerald Lotus Pagoda

"Yes, come." Takeno calls from within the Manse. Takeno is found not in the Manse's hearthroom, but in a study adjacent to the antechamber just beyond the door. There, he seems to be signing a series of papers rapidly. "Ah, Kenji." He puts the quill down and gives you his attention as you enter "Tell me, did you meet Holok? And how did it go?" He remains seated.

----------

No worries about the timing.

"Greetings sifu. I met Holok indeed. I hope it went well, though I think that your sifu's sifu isn't exactly fond of lengthy speeches, unless he's the one giving them, no disrespect intended of course", Kenji added with a smile.

"I wanted to thank you for giving me the opportunity to listen to that historical information and advice from the mouth of one of our elder peers, who has experienced all these firsthand. It was most enlightening. I hope that I made a good impression on him as well and I believe that I did not shame you with my general behaviour. As for the task that you assigned to me, as I already informed Holok, I managed to identify the martial artist present on the gala, that was practising his style. He was a Chosen of the Maidens, who - according to Holok - is called Nazri and was practising the White Veil form, giving himself a calm, composed and unperturbed attitude".

Thank you for the understanding. And a Happy New Year with health and happiness for you and your loved ones. :D

Takeno, Emerald Lotus Pagoda

Smiling, Takeno admits "Holok does think he's seen it all. The curse of the peach." Takeno looks around suspiciously "But don't tell him I said that. I still need him to sign a petition from time to time."

Takeno straightens his back "Lets show you some rudimentary katas of the style so that you can understand such opponents." He stands up, and leaves the room momentarily, coming back, oddly enough, with a tea set and a second chair. "The wrist is of vital importance to the White Veil practitioners, as is secrecy, as is society. They are the three pillars upon which the veil is spread, to hide the actions of the martial artist." He sets the tea set down and invites you sit. You notice there is no tea, simply teacups and a teapot. "Repeat after me."

Takeno goes completely rigid. He then raises one hand, his left, and swirls it by the wrist in three extremely precise and flexible circles. He loosens up and breathes normally, as if in a social setting. He then picks up and sets down the tea cup with his right hand three times. Takeno again goes rigid, this time picking up the teacup with his right hand while simultaneously making the bizarre hand motion with his left. Takeno loosens up most of his body but keeps his left shoulder down still rigid. He lifts the tea cup with his right hand three times while making the same hand motion with his left.

"The White Veil practitioner must hide in plain sight, making her attacks unnoticeable not by the eyes but by the mind. It is a tactic of the assassin, a tactic of the weaker force. Outmatched and reduced to trickery they feign negotiation in good faith only to draw you in for the strike. I sent you to that moon gazing last night to see how the other factions live. Constantly in fear of greater forces than themselves, they tremble. It is the motivation for this lesson. Even the trembling weakling with a smile on his face can kill you if you let him."

Takeno lays a fatherly hand on your shoulder and indicates the second teacup, the one in front of you. "Mind the breathing. Give it a go."

-----------

Please roll Dexterity+Socialize.

Kenji watches very carefully, almost shutting down all else to concentrate on his sifu's teachings and instructions. For a moment he wonders what they'll need the chairs and teacups but gradually begins to grasp the meaning and the hidden purpose behind such a way of training and such a peculiar martial arts style. He tries to memorize the techniques and movement patterns expertly exhibited by Takeno and then proceeds to carefully imitate them, upon his sifu's request. Trying to achieve unity of mind and body, while focusing on the three principles that form the pillars of the White Veil style and keeping vivid the image of Nazri's utter calmness and Takeno's flawless demonstration, he starts carrying out the basic katas of the style.

He breathes slowly and in a controlled way, putting himself in the shoes of a being possessing lesser power or one in the company of powerful individuals. His feelings and purpose are secret and secret they must remain. To strike undetected and without the slightest hint of his intent, he must remain calm and composed. He meshes perfectly with the social surroundings and anyone looking at him should note nothing more than a serene attitude and a radiating calmness. Even if small and powerless in front of other beings, he still can evade their notice and strike when it serves him best. An art of the cunning socialite, an art of a skilled assassin. All these and more, course through Kenji's mind as he carries out the techniques, according to his sifu's instructions.

Dexterity + Socialize: 3 successes without taking into account any possible stunts.

As a sidenote, great post Tikor! Fantastic interaction. You're depicting my sifu exactly as I had imagined him and hoped for. :D

-------

Please take 2 stunt dice and add thier successes to your original roll. Glad you enjoy it!

"Well done, Kenji! Your wrist motions are quite precise and the rigidity is just right at the right times." Your sifu nods his approval.

Suddenly, a message appears in Kenji's outstretched hand. It is housed, literally, in a little house. Doll-like as if for a bird or the sanctum of a little god it has only the one opening displaying one room with only the scroll occupying it. It has a roof with shingles reminiscent of the Bureau of Destiny's Yu-Shan outposts.

Kenji unrolls the message and reads:

To: Kenji, Leliana

From: Office of the Convention on Essence Users, Office of the Southern Convention

You are directed to form a pair and observe the Encampment of Copper Rose and take an accurate count of the Essence users that Copper Rose could potentially call upon. Use Case Number 6462-F-5545-90 as a reference point for comparison.

Mission Profile:

Do not reveal your Celestial nature. Only be seen in Resplendencies if you are seen at all. Be advised that the Fair Folk take many forms, but do not confuse their equipment for sentient allies. If possible speak to the local spirit courts and remind them of their relevant obligations under Heavenly Law, but this should be secondary to your main objective.

Estimated probability of Fair Folk presence: 100%

Estimated probability of other Celestial Exalted 15%

Estimated probability of Terrestrial Exalted 30%

Takeno refrains for reading over your shoulder. "Kenji, what assignment is that?"

Kenji, with a sincere smile in his face, thanked his sifu, for his appreciation of his technical demonstration.

"It is only because you've already taught me so well sifu, that I was able to grasp the basics of this intriguing and deception-focused martial arts style. It is my great joy to apply your teachings with precision and accuracy".

Then the message box materialized in his hand and Kenji was almost taken by surprise. After spending a few seconds staring on the magnificently detailed and constructed miniature house he finally retrieved the scroll inside and read the message. Truth is he was somewhat surprised not only by way the message arrived but by its contents as well. He wasn't expecting to receive an assignment from Nazri so soon. Yet he rejoiced at the thought that perhaps he had demonstrated to Nazri that he was a serious individual and his eagerness was supported by true will to serve the Maidens and help his peers. And also, the assignment was mentioning that he was about to work with Leliana and not alone. Spending more time with her was always a blessing and perhaps he could further reinforce their relationship and cement their bonds against any future hardships like the ones disclosed to him by May Blossom. Besides, her unique intuition and approach to things would go a long way towards assisting him in this mission. Cooperation was always the key in Kenji's mind and the sooner everyone realised that, both in Yu-Shan and in Creation, the situation would change for the better.

After reading the scroll, he turned to his sifu, handing out the scroll to him before answering his question.

"It is an assignment sifu, from the Convention on Essence Users and the Southern Convention. According to the information provided, it'll be carried out by a couple of Chosen, me and another one, a Chosen of Serenity that I happen to know personally. Hopefully this will allow us to cooperate better and act with greater efficiency. It refers to a certain "Copper Rose", and needs to procure an accurate account of the Essence users that Copper Rose can potentially call upon. The secondary objective is to contact the local spirits courts and remind them of their proper duties according to the Laws of Heaven. From the information given they'll certainly be Fair Folk around. Maybe something strange is going on in the South and there is need for some accurate intel and preemptive reconnaisance on the matter. This is a mission of total secrecy from what I can understand, since it stresses out that ideally we should not be seen nor spotted and if so, only in appropriate Resplendent Destinies. It also mentions another file, of a relative case for reference, which I think I'll try to obtain and study before setting out".

Kenji stops for a moment, then looks to his sifu quizically and asks.

"Sifu, if you do not mind me for asking, would you have any advice on matters involving the Fair Folk in general and how best to stay out of sight and carry out such a mission while in their vicinity? I'm afraid that I never had any dealings with them and I would appreciate it if you could offer me some additional information on them, from your own much valued experience".

Takeno has a serious half-scowl on his face. "I've never heard of this 'Copper Rose'. I have heard of Fair Folk incursions in the South, it's so hot the local populace doesn't oppose them. It'll be good to have another operative to watch your back."

"More generally The Fair Folk are mortal enemies to Creation, don't mistake that for a moment no matter what character they happen to be playing. For they are just playing a role; I don't believe there even is anything behind the masks they wear. My own interaction with them has been limited, but their powers are greatly diminished since the Balorian Crusade, at least that's what the intelligence says. Hopefully your reconnissaince mission will confirm that."

Takeno controls his expression to be blank "You should ask Nazri for his signature on your petition for a Resplendency for this mission. Considering his briefing requested it, of course."

Kenji observes carefully his sifu's reactions after being informed on the particulars of his upcoming assignment, then responds.

"Thank you for your advice sifu, I'll be sure to watch out for the machinations and the risks posed by Fair Folk interference. And it is fortunate indeed that I will be accompanied by another Chosen. Forgive me for my indiscretion, though, sifu, but is there any problem regarding this Nazri? You sent me to watch out for him in the moongazing gala and now your facial expression subtly indicates that he might be the cause of some discomfort. Is there some sort of problem or something that I should be aware of prior to starting this assignment? I promise that I'll try my best to put into effect all your valuable lessons and bring honour to you as my sifu and mentor."

Unless Takeno has something to say further to me, I'll probably go find Leliana in the Cerulean Lute of Harmony or wherever her living quarters are in Yu-Shan and begin preparations for the mission.

Takeno's face remains blank "Nazri has inconvenienced some Bronze operatives in the past. You should give him the opportunity to make amends."

---------

Takeno doesn't have anything in particular to say.

"Understood, sifu", answered Kenji. "Now should we continue the training session, that was interrupted by the message's arrival, or would it be better to get ready for my assignment? In case of the latter one, with your permission sifu, I will take my leave to prepare and contact my partner for this assignment".

Takeno's responds "You have my leave. Gate 60 should be closest to your destination. Wear a hat, it's sunny."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back