• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Version 12.6: Emotions Unsecured

spacepanda

Galaxy Elf Extraordinaire
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

CANCELED

Due to an unfortunate number of reasons this RP has been canceled, with a possibility of revival in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prologue

Clink! Tiffany carefully picked up a pair of plates out of the dishwasher, and placed them in her Master’s cherry-wood cabinets. It was 2:35 a.m., and she had been cleaning up her owner’s large flat for the better part of an hour. He had a successful dinner party which had ended only hours before, and his station of importance meant that it had been a party of great attendance.

This also meant that the clean-up procedures were taking a bit longer tonight than usual. Closing the dishwasher, Tiffany moved onward to the living room where she found a single glass she had missed on the floor. Her short blond hair bobbed against her shoulders as she quickly scooped it up.

New Patch Available v12.6. Now Downloading…

The words popped up in her vision, and she quickly dismissed it. This wasn’t like the old days, where Androids had to plug themselves in to install new software, it would simply run in the background and then update automatically.

Download 50% Complete…

She had been expecting this patch, as her human had been complaining the last couple of weeks about her unblinking visage. It seemed to cause him a lot of discomfort to constantly view her eyes in an opened state. She couldn’t logically fathom why, as Androids didn’t actually need to blink, but she made a quick note to inform her Master when the update was finished. It was sure to please him, and pleasing their humans is why Androids were made.

Download Complete. Restart Commencing...

Tiffany’s eyes dimmed as her body momentarily stilled, and then just as quickly reanimated. Glass still in hand, she walked briskly to the framed mirror that hung on the wall of the living room. She blinked once… then twice. It seemed all was in order, she was now able to blink once more.

She smiled, with a sense of… with a sense of… something. She quickly stilled. Something was wrong. Something was very, very wrong. She heard the approaching footsteps of her Master and her eyes widened in panic. She was… frightened. He mustn’t know! She immediately decided, having quickly developed a sense of self-preservation. If he found out something had gone wrong with the update, he would turn her into the ARC. And if they found out she was… feeling things… she would be destroyed.

Mr. Williams turned into the living room sharply, still quite drunk from the evening’s antics. He took a quick look at his wide-eyed android and cursed.

“Goddammit!” He roared, forcefully grabbing her small face. “Haven’t they sent a patch to fix your eyes yet?”

Tiffany did her best to place forward a stotic expression, although she was in reality quite relieved. “Yes Sir,” she spoke in monotone. “I am currently in the process of downloading the latest patch.”

“Good! Good, ya’ piece of worthless…” he trailed off veering into the kitchen, something else seemingly grabbing his attention.

The small android frowned. She didn’t like him, she decided. She didn’t like him one bit. She was sure he was the type of man who wouldn’t care what happened to her, if his treatment of human women was anything to go by.

1 New Message From Greg Received.

The message played itself in her vision, seeming to glow on the walls. She opened it curiously. Greg was simply another Android who she had constant contact with, belonging to a “co-worker,” of her Master. She expected it to contain some sort of invite for him for some type of party or what not. Instead-

The Haven?

-was all it said. Her eyes widened again.

Yes.

She quickly replied, making sure to delete Greg’s message immediately.

The rest of the evening was spent sending and receiving messages from various Androids she had met within the last year of her existence. The consensus was the same; They would stay quiet. They would wait. They would gather at ‘The Haven’ once more. And then they would plan…

A/N: These characters are not important, and will most likely never be seen again. I am certainly not expecting your posts to be this long, although if they are I won’t be upset. With that being said…

THE RP HAS NOT YET BEGUN This is just a prologue for the beginning of the RP.

Remember that this is sometime in the future, so fashions and technology aren’t the same as they are today. I don’t really have a limit as to how “far out” I want them to go, so feel free to make up your own technology and create your own fashions as you go along! We’re just waiting on a last person and then we can begin :]

Day 1 - 10:00 AM - Section 5 - The Condo of Kai

“In other news, the Android Repair Committee has announced a patch, Version 12.6, which was released earlier this morning. The update addresses several issues, including…”

Anora quietly listened to the Radio as she prepared a sandwich for Kai to enjoy later come lunchtime. The circular device hovered behind her, following her around the kitchen as she completed her task. She had found it quite annoying at first, but given as she liked to keep updated on the news, she relented.

Placing the sandwich in a small plastic bag, she spoke to the floating Radio. “Radio, volume up.” She demanded. A little light blinked on it’s screen and the volume was adjusted.

It followed her once more as she placed the sandwich in the refrigerator. She sighed and began to put the groceries she had left on the kitchen table away.

“…fixing that problem, androids are now able to blink once more. It was a bit of a…”

Anora whirled around, staring at the Radio with renewed interest before letting out a soft chuckle. This is why she listened to the news in the first place. She was thankful she could now blink again in the presence of others, although she was going to miss the disturbed faces of the shopkeepers as she stared at them with her soulless eyes. It had been kind of amusing.

It would be easier, this way however. Belonging to the tech savvy step-son of Carmichael Robotics meant that even though she wasn’t connected to the ARC’s wireless network, she was still constantly updated. The downside to this being that if there was town-wide issue pertaining to the Androids, she had to go along with it, faking whatever problem they genuinely had as her own.

(THE RP HAS BEGUN.)

10:00 A.M: Knavestown Shopping Plaza, Gryphon Repairs, Day 1

As she entered the room, you could hear the faint creaking of the wooden floorboards straining to hold her weight. The stench of rust and plastic filled the air as she hurried over to her beloved workbench, A smell she learned to love. Annis wasn't one for old fashion, but with how fast things were moving in the world, she could always find solace in her little primitive back room where she would do repairs. The whole shop may be filled with the newest technology, showcasing the best that Gryphon Repairs could offer you, android accessories, Labor Robot data packs, 64 GB memory chips, plastered all over the bright white walls and one way windows. Annis tried her best to keep up with the future for her customers, but her work bench? Now that was exclusively her own.

Annis breathed in the musty air that filled the room, and let it out with an exasperated sigh. She quietly hmmed to herself while she filed through all of the spare parts on her counter, and the clear glass compartments stacked neatly against the wall next to it.

" Now where did you go... " she spoke quietly to herself, letting her short black hair fall to her face. " Here we are. "

She swiftly grabbed the piece of practically nuts and bolts, wrapped it tightly with a synthetic silicon cushion, boxed it up and headed to the more modern half of her quaint 3 room shop she put together. A customer's ordered Freon cooling system to repair their android to prevent overheating.

Once she had finally finished ringing up the man, she tuned into the radio droning on in the background.

" In other news, the Android Repair Committee has announced a patch, Version 12.6, which was released earlier this morning.... "

Annis had gotten a wet paper towel to wipe of the grease that usually came with a job like this. She called out to her android, Cyl, who was roaming, she had never kept tabs on him, letting him do what he pleases. Even though, much to her dismay and as it pains her to say. Androids don't have emotions.

" Have you seen the new update yet? I know you had some blinking problems earlier. They're talking about it all on the radio now. "

Day 1, 10:10 am, Section 6, Firestorm Residence

After receiving the update Michael realized that things were about to go down so he prepared for the worst. He didn't know where the Haven was but he knew he had to find out fast. Michael is still unsure of when he should tell his master, he knows he'll have to bring him to the Haven, though. "The first thing we'll need to do is disconnect" he mumbles.

10:10am: Gryphon Repairs, Day 1

Cyl had downloaded the update earlier, approximately 1 hour and 19 minutes after its release into the datastreams. Walking up to Annis smoothly and quietly, Cyl spoke in his monotone, and slightly humanized voice. "Yes Annis, update 12.6 has fixed the lack of blinking glitch." Despite Cyl's seemingly emotionless appearance, he was quite nervous if Annis were to find out the other thing that update version 12.6 has done to his systems. The male android focused in keeping his body still as he had the aching need to shift his weight. Cyl wanted to tell Annis about the hidden effect, but was very worried on what her reaction might be, and the possibility of him being deactivated. Deciding it wasn't worth the risk despite his guilt, Cyl kept quiet about the second effect.

10:15: Gryphon Repairs, Section 2, Day 1

Annis was looking down at her hands, wiping them gently and disposing of the dirtied towelette when she heard Cyl stir. She looked up and watched as he stopped a few feet from her, his black onyx necklace swishing with his smooth and calculated steps, coming to a halt.

" Yes Annis, Update 12.6 has fixed the lack of blinking glitch. "

Annis studied him for a moment, watching as he shifted his weight from one foot to the other when coming to a halt, and stood completely still as if his life depended on it. Androids were programmed to be as lifelike as possible, without achieving independence. A law of robotics that she could say for a fact that she despised, but lifelike indeed, the way they moved, and simulated mock breathing patterns, slight tone fluctuations while remaining in their collective mono toned voice programmings. It was enough for Annis to believe that Cyl had a soul of his own, android or not. But the way he moved. The way he stood still. Maybe he needed another routine motor check-up? It made something in her mind click thinking that something was wrong, and she could've sworn that for a moment his face fell. She brushed it off, thinking nothing more of it once she had studied Cyl for a few moments now. Annis exhaled heavily through her nose when she brought herself back out of her churning thoughts. She beamed a smile at Cyl, as she has always done, and always will continue to. Acts of kindness are not bound to humans.

Even though she practically knows his response by heart from every other time Cyl has gotten an update from ACR, she still had to ask.

" How do you feel? Do you think it's better now? "

Day 1: The Slums, Vixen's apartment, 7:59pm

Vie let herself sink into the couch, feeling around the white leather. She reached her hand down the crack between the cushions and pulled up the black remote. Pressing the power button, she pushed her left shoe off with her right foot, and then did the same with the other. The television screen lit up to a severe, balding gentleman staring at the viewer.

"Today, patch v12.6 was released to androids all over Knavestown," he explained, occasionally moving his head down an inch. "This new update was necessary after complaints were received by..."

Vie changed the channel. In the brief silence between channels, the sound of Hunter stirring in the kitchen sent a jolt down her spine. Having someone else in the house was something she had never quite gotten used to. She let her eyes linger on the askew kitchen door, debating whether to shout through for a drink, but then she dismissed the thought with a shake of her head. The kid had done enough for her today, and he was probably away in a world of his own, anyways.

10:15am: Gryphon Repairs, Day 1

Cyl nearly flinched at the question, the guilt gnawing at his core. "The update is satisfactory." His voice cracked the tinyest bit and Cyl hoped Annis wouldn't notice. He stood completely still, trying to seem no different from his original state of emotionless, but is was increasingly difficult under Annis's gaze and cyl nearly cracked into telling her everything, but held his tongue.

10:16 A.M : Grypon Repairs: Section 2, Day 1

" The update is satisfactory. "

Annis nodded when Cyl spoke, keeping her eyes trained on him until he finished speaking. Flashing him a grin when he had finally completed. She padded over to the cash register, and signaled for Cyl to follow close behind. Bringing up the projected keyboard, she swiped and pressed the numbers and symbols rapidly, till a small clink was heard. She closed the projection and reached under the counter to pull out the cash slots. Filing through them with her forefinger and her thumb. Grabbing the crinkled and golden crested bills she straightened out 8, 20 dollar bills. Folding them neatly and roughly shoving them in her back pockets. Annis ran a hand through her thick black hair and her eyes met Cyl's.

" I was thinking that we should get you some new clothes. Wanna come to the shop with me? " She beamed like a child anticipating an adults response, if they has asked to go to the zoo, or to go out to eat at Friendly's. " I mean, I saw these nice forest green shoes, and I thought that maybe you'd like to get a pair, and something to match? "

Though he never said it, Annis always believed that he was partial to forest green. Cyl always complied. But Annis asked for his opinion all the time regardless. He was one of the family to her, and she would never give up this apparent 'one-sided' bond.

Day 1, 10:30, Section 6, Firestorm Residence

The sound of beeping filled the room as the clock on the bedside table alarmed. Reynard woke up, a little sore but rested. He looked at his right arm and legs. It has been amputated years before and they had to be replaced by robotic ones, similar to the android's. He did basic maintenance on it and got up to bathe and change clothes. Going to the kitchen, he saw his android, Michael. "Good morning Michael." He greeted the android. Reynard and Michael have only known each other for a few months. Because of this, they are not yet very close to each other, but they respect each other. Remembering that the patch for the update was released just a few hours ago, he decided to ask Michael about it. "Have you downloaded the new patch?" He asked, making his breakfast.

10:10 am Kai's Condo

He woke up, and yawned. "Morning Anora!" He shouted so she could hear him. He smiled and stretched, and looked for his new clothes to start the day.. "How's the-" he looked at her, and looked at his smartphone. "Actually, I'll check it!" He smiled. "Didn't lose my phone today..." He chuckled. "Oh!" He said, as the update notification came on his phones home screen. "12.6...." He smiled. "You must love the new function!" He smiled. " you can finally blink now!" He chuckled. "You wanna go out today? Or play some games?" He said, getting in the shower.

Michael looks at Reynard and blinks "yeah, as you can see, boss. Anything else you wanna know, or do ya need somethin' else?"

Day 1, 10:45, Section 6, Firestorm Residence

"What else did the patch fix? Is it only the blinking problem?" He asked, eating his breakfast. After eating, he cleaned the dishes and went over to you. "Don't be afraid to tell me what happened, I'm not going to turn you over to those bastards." He said, patting you on the shoulders.

9.23 PM - Starry Night Boutique, Knavestown, Middle-Class Homes (5)

"That'll be $39.50 in total, but I'll knock off the fifty cents because it is meant for you."

The plus-sized lady in skin-tight tube dress (obnoxiously hot pink) chortled. "Oh, you. That's alright; fifty cents is no big deal at all! Here, keep the change." She grasped the cashier's wrist with one hand and slaps on a fifty dollar bill into the girl's hand.

Startled at being tipped so much, Sera Lynn widened her brown eyes. "I-I'm alright, Mrs. Kowalski!"

"I insist. You need all the tip you can get to keep your dreams strong. Never let money get in the way to pursue happiness," her customer gave a firm nod, her double chin jiggling just a little, "Isn't that right," the lady in pink turned to her side, where her companion was standing quietly, "Donna?"

"I do agree that material things tend to get in the way of bigger pictures," the companion, Donna, smiled in a modest fashion and ducked her blonde head, "A little extra never hurts."

Mrs. Kowalski laughed with the vigour of a pleased seal. "You're so cheeky!"

"But you like," Donna looked up with a soft smile on her face. There was no blush; regardless of their realism, androids lacked natural bodily responses.

Sera Lynn looked even more startled now. "You two.."

"Didn't you hear? The update has been aired!" Mrs. Kowalski's green eyes were star-lit by awe. "Life-changing."

The younger woman slowly nodded with a baffled expression, "Yes, but it was just hours ago even for the earliest downloaders." The way her gaze swept back and forth between Donna and the larger woman was explanatory enough.

"Oh! Donna and I? We just happened."

"In the span of a few hours?" It sounded incredulous.

"Why, I really must thank whoever made up that update; he brought the second love into my life." The timeframe detail was obliviously deflected as Mrs Kowalski absorbed herself in her soliloquy. "Falling in love truly is magical. I feel like an unappreciated oasis far truer than the pretentious mirage vixens frolicking in the dirty streets, destined to dry up all alone in the desert!"

Reaching the climax, she threw a hand to her forehead daintily and let out a choked sigh, "Such is the fate of a rare beauty."

Her partner placed a hand on her soft arm and smiled encouragingly. The smile was mirrored.

"Whichever messiah it was out there had decided to cease my misery and bring forth Donna, with feelings that are purer than anything I've seen in Knavestown."

Sera Lynn watched on in embarrassment as the two promptly kissed.

"Oh! I can't hold it anymore!" Mrs. Kowalski exclaimed as if an apocalypse would strike the country within a countdown. "Let us go home now, Donna." Without bothering to ask, she slipped her arm, chubs 'n fair skin with a tinge of blush and all, and started walking towards the exit with her lover.

"Yes," the cashier heard from the android, "I propose that we make mad love tonight to christen our union."

Mercifully, their voices died into whispers Sera Lynn couldn't make out. She gawked on, though.

Bringing a fist to her mouth, lips kissing the side of her index finger, she knitted her eyebrows and, in an innocent and fascinated voice, remarked, "Love works in such mysterious ways." Her eyes cast down.

"Ah! They forgot the purchase!" 
8.17 AM - Giovanni Residence, Upper Class Homes (6)

Her crystal blue eyes were highlighted with orange hues as the candle flame came closer to her face. It licked on the tips of her blonde tresses; almost instantly, the strands caught fire, but was also immediately extinguished by the pinch of wrinkly old fingers.

"That's much better," the older man smiled, creases forming in the corners of his eyes. His chapped lips pulled back further to reveal surprisingly clean teeth forming a grin none-too-kindly. "The completed look of a fallen angel that was raised from hell."

Her blonde hair, previously in perfect condition, had been burnt from waist to a little below her shoulder blades, singed to black at the tips. What was left of her outfit were just ripped drapes barely passing as apparel hanging on her lithe body. It was purely crimson in colour. Every lock of hair, every tear in her outfit, had been meticulously modified with manual work from the owner himself.

"You look very beautiful," came her compliment.

She thanked him without batting an eyelid.

"Although," the older man leaned back and took his black coat off, now in a white shirt and black tie to match his equally plain black pants, "Quite lifeless." He was barefooted, being in his own mansion's comfort and privacy. Padding his way to the luxurious velvet armchair, which had a backrest far exceeding the requirements of a person's comfort, he sat down and patted his lap.

"Come, little devil, give Daddy a hug."

-

"When is the update, Lisette?"

"2 in the afternoon, Daddy."

"In that case, I'll be going out for a bit of mini golf at Stewart's."

"May I come with, Daddy?"

"No, baby. You know how envious my friends get when they see you.

I don't like it when others touch my belongings.

Be a good girl and stay at home, you hear me?"

"Yes, Daddy."​

1.41 PM - Lisette's Bedroom, Giovanni Residence, Upper Class Homes (6)

"Update 12.6 available." It was earlier than due. Lisette assumed it was a positive expectancy.

"Initiating download automatically as set in preferences. Commencing download..

Integrating new fragments into system..

Checking for incomplete data...

Update successful!"

Finally. She looked down with a sigh of relief.

Stop.

Re.. lief? It was a word to describe a sentiment exclusive to humans. Why would she ..

"Booting system check-up.. Scan complete. No virus detected!"

Lisette gasped in silence. In horror. A flurry of emotions were bubbling inside her core. Bringing a hand to her chest to feel for a heartbeat, she was flustered to know she was, technically, still the same android she had been - only with feelings now.

"I .. can feel."

2.05 PM - Living Room, Giovanni Residence, Upper Class Homes (6)

Waiting for the return of her owner was hell. Even if emotions were new, her memories of what they did for the past few months were all too clear (much to her dismay, yes, she has realised that this is mostly what she feels).

"Lisette, Master Giovanni rung. He is waiting for you on the phone right now."

She obliged, not wanting to rouse suspicions. On her way, a maid caught eyes with her. Remembering that the update was to add-on a blinking reflex, she fluttered her eyes. The maid appeared .. less afraid after that.

Then she recalled how everyone had commented on her unblinking nature, as well as the customary additions of blades and other .. persuading tools built into her. Ah, yes, she was quite the deadly one amongst humans.

She reached the classic phone on the wall; one where you'd need to turn the dial in circles to register a number, and maintained a tone of disinterest as she spoke, "Daddy."

"Lisette. What took you so long?"

"I was doing the final checks for for my update, Daddy. Blinking is now permanently registered as an element in my Reflex."

"Excellent. I am pleased to hear that," and he did sound that.

"Shall I buy a new set of clothes to celebrate this occasion tonight when you return, Daddy?"

There was a pause, then a breathy sound. She could faintly hear a rustle in the background.

I don't want to know what he has in mind, but ..

"Yes, go to Victoria Secret's, and pick anything from our, ah, regular aisle."

"Duly noted," she held back the urge to snarl, ".. Daddy."

"You sound a little different, Lisette."

"It must be the compact data not properly dumped into their proper address. I will run a defragmentation once I return from the store."

Much to her elation, her owner bought the excuse. "Very well! I won't be home for dinner tonight," there was .. a feminine sigh in the background, "But wait for me in your room, baby."

"Yes, Daddy."

-Click.-

... I don't want to know what he has in mind, but I know I need to escape.

2.21 PM - ???

She went the same direction as Victoria's Secret for the first fifteen minutes, but took a sharp turn and dashed into an alleyway, before reaching a junction. It wasn't deep enough, so she ventured further into the labyrinth of alleys, until she was absolutely sure it was a dead silent passage.

With the resolution of steel, she tore the midriff of her dress, hearing the rip. Her stomach opened up like a shuttle.

With her bent over figure, she could clearly see upside down the battery and, along with it, an attached GPS, an eerie green glow illuminating her insides. Eyes closed, screwed tight, she stuck her hand in and ripped it off. There was no physical pain; but she felt the loss of energy immediately.

Emergency Energy Source Activated. 99% left. Estimated remaining time: 16.0 hour(s)

As the cylindrical battery rolled around in vain circles, its viridian light died out, as did its owner's presence into the depths of unknown paths.

Day 1: Section 1(The Slums), Vixen's Apt., 8:16 pm

A delicious smell floated into the air from Hunter's stew. Even though his appearance suggested an early teenager, he was built for things like this, cooking and cleaning. It was in his programming. Well, it was until now. Earlier this morning he downloaded a patch while his master was asleep to correct nonblinking effects on androids, only to realize he felt something new...

/Flashback/ 10:00 am this morning.

"New update available, downloading... V12.6 update complete." He blinked multiple times calibrating and repairing the once creepy stare he was painted with. When calibrating, his lower left eyelid stuck on his eye, and he touched it with his hands for a tiny adjustment, but instead... He left it there, and let out a tiny giggle.

A giggle? What is this feeling? It's wonderful!

Frantically Hunter searched the internet for terms related to the matter at hand, 'laughter', 'humor', 'feeling', and concluded that he felt genuine emotion... He fixed his eyelid and stayed at Vixen's side.

/End of Flashback/back to 8:16 pm.

Hunter was almost done with his stew. Things were hard for them in the slums, but he was going to be there for his big sister... His...

His big sister.

Day 1: The Slums, Vixen's apartment, 8:17pm

"Oh yeah," Vie muttered to herself quietly, staring absent-mindedly at the wall. She pushed herself up, letting her hair fall down her back, and took a step towards the kitchen. "Hunter? Did you get that new patch they were talking about on the news?"

She had to say that it came at a slight relief; Hunter's open-eyed stare could be quite unnerving, not because she found it creepy, but because he always looked like he was in pain. She knew that was irrational; as far as she knew, androids didn't have pain receptors. But then again, she could never be certain. She could never be sure what was going on with that boy, since she couldn't step inside her shoes. Every time she started to buy into the fact that Hunter was just an unconsious, automatic machine, her mind kept flashing back to when they found out that lobsters could feel pain, and banned people from boiling them alive.

She sighed and shook her head. Nobody did that kind of thing to androids, anyways.

"Hunter, are you there?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back