Using a stat system properly [1x1 or Group]

Demon

Hello all, I'm Krozy. I'm new to RPNation but far from new to roleplay in general. However something that personally gets me excited or intrigued to continue to RP is when mechanics are introduced to further your experience; statistics is one of them. So for this, I'm going to attempt to write a small guide on using stat systems inside roleplay and the bunch.

When roleplaying with someone and attempting to fight whether it's a player controlled character or non-playable character (NPC), you should know there will always be limits to your character if you're aiming for a realistic or balanced fighting mechanic. With that in mind, this is usually where the stat system comes in. Being that it is one that's been around for some time in the RP community, it seems to be one that isn't used properly or improperly referenced when roleplaying.

In a attempt to fix this, this guide will cover stat systems in general and how to reference them in your roleplay. To do this, I will be using a template stat system I've referenced in another thread on RPNation. You will also find in this guide how to properly reference stats and how they determine your character's ability to fight or what they should be able to do. If you find this guide too long, please refer to the below table of contents to find something you're looking for in specific.

Table of Contents

I. General Stats

II. Stat Ratio

III. How To

IIII. Referencing Stats in RP

I. General Stats

For the first section of my guide, I will begin with what literally defines the system itself: Your general stats. Within every roleplay you will have defining stats that go on past the core ones themselves but after a few attempts at solving for a base stat system to go with, I've decided on four different stats that describe your character's general basics. Below I will list a category for each one, writing why and how each stat is important to basic role-play capabilities.

"How to make my own stats?" This question can be found within section 3.

Strength (STR)

Strength is considered to be what determines your character's power. Having strength in your stat system is rather important because it allows you to guideline simply how capable of physical labor or simply put "power" your character is.

Dexterity (DEX)

Dexterity is important as it describes your character's speed. To include this in your system allows for you to determine how high of a speed your character is capable of. Not containing this stat would be detrimental to your RP as without you, you are giving justifiable reason for people to dodge attacks with no logical reasoning or to run at inhumane speeds.

Willpower (WP)

Willpower is a tricky stat but I've deemed it as another stat that is rather important to characters. This stat is capable of expanding into two sections but overall, it should determine your character's tankiness or ability to take hits. However, Willpower can also expand into stamina as well. This stat is incredibly important to add to your stat system because without it, people will be getting up from extremely powerful moves and wiping dust off their clothes as if nothing happened.

Intelligence (INT)

Intelligence is what decides a character's knowledge. Having this in your system is important because it will back and limit just how knowledgeable a character is. Without you, you may notice that people will join your RP and use quite a bit of OOC information unjustifiably by stating their character 'studied' a setting or project before entering it.

II. Stat Ratio

Stat Ratio is the ratio in which your stats are applied in your system. When creating your system, you must give each point allotted into a category a value per point. By default, it is recommended you follow the outline of 10 points multiplied by the amount of categories there are overall in the start with every 10 points being justified as the average human. This creates balance in your roleplay because it will force the user to give up one statistic to go for another which in retrospect will make your fights/actions balance out without any serious staff involvement. Consider this to be your first layer of auto-moderation in terms of fantasy role-play.

III. How To

This section is exclusive to the How To, as the name already sort-of gives you the gist of. When assigning stats, you may want to know how to create your own specifics in stats? Well if you read the guide along so far, you should have an idea of the core and the ratio of how stats work. With these two things in mind, your new stats should be based and named on what they provide (ex. Magic determining your expertise). If you choose to create your own, make sure you have a ratio in mind for it already so that you avoid from creating something unbalanced that would break the system.

If you can do this, creating a stat should not be hard. However it is important that you don't forget to add extra overall points in your system if you add a category.

IIII. Referencing Stats in RP

When referencing stats in RP, you want to use your opponent's allotted stats and compare it to your own. If you are understanding of the ratio already, this should not be too hard but there are some specifics you must keep in mind. Following ratio, every 10 points a user has is a regular human's amount of said category. If you are going against someone who has around 2-3 points more in said category in comparison to you, it should be of minor difference. If they are 4-5 points more in said category, they should be considered .5x as much as you, which should make for a definitely noticeable difference. If they are 10+ points more, you should consider them as double your own in that category. If you understand this, you should be set.

To further explain, let's take an RP scenario into consideration. Let's say someone has 10 str, 10 dex, 10 willpower, 10 intelligence against someone with 15 str, 5 dex, 10 willpower, 10 intelligence. As you can see, the only leading stats is player 1 has average dex and regular strength while player two is dominant in strength but below the average human speed. If player 2 throws a punch to player 1, it'd be more than reasonable if he dodged it considering he has .5x in ratio terms.

Though stats work like this, this does not mean you can guard EVERYTHING. Unless you are completely dominant by at least 2x, dodging shouldn't be something too common. Considering the plotted above scenario was only a .5x difference, it should only be a noticeable difference on speed, meaning the right hits would still land at some point or another. If it was a 2x difference, it'd be reasonable if player 2 rarely hit player 1.

Thank you for reading this guide. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know and I will do my best to answer or add something I'm missing into this guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Functional, but I think a little more clarity wouldn't hurt with regard to redistribution of points and the rationale behind the 10x multiplier.

I find it's always beneficial to explain design choices, for you own sake and that of the reader..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back