Unwind interest check?

Forever For Never

Resident Emo
Roleplay Type(s)
Okay, so although this roleplay will definitely be based heavily on the Unwind Dystology by Neal Shusterman (I've read all three books and they're the best thing ever created), I know that very few people have read the books so you don't have to have read them to understand or join this roleplay as I'll try to explain the universe to my best ability, but if you've already read the books I don't think reading the description will be necessary.

Well, here goes:

It is a short time in the future, and tensions have risen over the issue of abortion. There was even a war over it, called the Heartland War, with one side murdering doctors who preform abortions and the other getting purposefully pregnant just so that they could abort their unborn children. At the same time, little attention was paid to teenagers, and school was neglected. Being too young to work jobs and having no school to occupy their time, the teenagers were restless, and seemed dangerous, although they were mostly preforming minor crimes, such as vandilizing cars. People became scared of their own children. To ease the conflict, a set of laws were put in place after the Heartland War. These laws were thought of by an organization called the Proactive Citizenry, a few of which outline terms for 'unwinding' and 'storking'.

Unwinding

Unwinding is the solution to the 'dangerous' teenagers. It can happen to any teenagers age 13-17. These teens are taken to harvest camps, where they are 'unwound'. The process of unwinding is painlessly disassembling a person. Their organs, limbs, blood, brains, and every part of them are dismantled. Although most look it as death, the Proactive Citizenry fondly calls it living in a 'divided state'. The parts that are unwound from each person are sent to hospitals, and used in place of prostetic limbs and other medical procedures. There are no blood drives, for there is always plenty of blood harvested from unwinds. There are no wheelchairs, because if you can afford it you can simply replace your spine. There are even products for helping people become advanced. If you want to be smarter in math, then simply buy the brain tissue of an unwound math genius. If you want to learn to play piano like Motzart, there's a pair of hands from an excellent pianist waiting for you.

When it comes to the terms of unwinding, there are three different classifications for unwinds: trouble kids, tithes, and orplans.

Trouble kids are children who may have been storked* and the parents simply don't want them, or they're children that never seem to listen. Perhaps they get into fights, or simply trouble with the law more than the parents care for. Maybe the parents just don't want to raise them anymore. They can fill out an unwind order, and have their children taken away by the Juvenile Authority** to be unwound.

Orphans belong to the state in orphanages. They don't have any parents for whatever reason. Orphanages get crowded, and if there are more children than they can handle some have to go. The children are all evaluated on their abilities and skills. Ones who are not deemed good enough get sent off to be unwound.

Tithes are special. They are children, whether storked* or biological, that belong to very devoted religious people. They believe that you should give back 1/10 of everything to God, and if you hsve 10 children, it means that your 10th one has been chosen at birth to be a tithe, meaning they will be unwound when they turn 13. Tithes are treated very well t5heir whole lives, always dressed in pure white, and respected. They are taught that they should love the fact that they're special enough to be chosen to be unwound, and most welcome it and go to their unwinding without resistance.

*Storking

Storking was created to ease the tensions over abortions. Although abortions are now no longer legal, if you don't want a child that you have given birth to, thanks to storking you aren't required to keep it. Storking is when a parent of a newborn child leaves the child on the doorstep of a house, then rings the doorbell. They leave. If the retreating parent is not seen, the child at the doorstp is now the responsibility of the family or owner of the person whose house it was left at. If the parent is spotted by the home owners, they must take back their child, although they can try again at a different home if they wish. Although this doesn't have to do with storking, on the mention of the abolishment of abortions, more teen parents keep their children, and are now allowed to take them to school and care for them as they learn.

So, unwinding exists. But beside the Proactive Citizenry, someone must enforce it. The enforcers of unwinding are the **Juvenille Authority. These people are basically police in charge of unwinds and taking them from their homes to unwinding camps, or more known by their slang, chop shops. The Juvenille Authority also search for unwinds who have managed to escape, and track them down so that they may be uwound.

So, is it the end of the road for the unwinds? What do they do if they escape? How do they stay hidden and evade capture? They do so thanks to the Anti-Divisional Resistance (ADR). They help hide these unwinds, giving them shelters and supplies to survive in. And they send them to places such as the Graveyard, a base that shelters unwinds until they turn 18 and can survive without threat of being unwound. Many unwinds have found ADR members and survived through them.

Clappers

The Clappers are an organizaton that is fed up with the world in general, and the members can be assigned missions to go to public or private places and clap. This sounds extremey non-threatening, but Clappers inject explosives into their blood, so if they clap or make any forceful movements the explosives will detonate, and they will explode, sending the building they are clapping at sky-high.

Parts Pirates

Rouges of society who trtap unwinds, and even non-unwind teenagers, and sell them to be unwound in the black market. They do this for personal profit, and are hated by the Proactive Citizenry as they're basically stealing little chunks of their profits from the unwound parts of the unwinds.

Whew, that was a lot of explaining. I'm pretty sure I covered all of it, but if not, could somebody who read Unwind tell me so I can add it in? With all that explaining I hope people get the gist of it, and I assume this roleplay will revolve around escaped unwinds, otherwise called AWOL unwinds. Of course, people can play non-unwinds, members of the Juvenille Authority, or members of the ADR, but if no one wants those roles then they can simply be NPCs.

So.. Yeah. I have a few ideas that may develop into plots, but first I'd like to see if anyone's interested in this. And of course, if you are then I suggest reading the books, because they are thje best things ever created.

Well, that's it! Post in this thread if you're interested, and if I get a few people I'll create a roleplay for this! (Of course of just one person posts we can make a 1x1, which is always fine with me as well.)

What would the role-play's plot be? Would it be a group of AWOLs on the run? or people dealing with having unwound parts. Or maybe rewounds trying to live normally. Can you be more specific?

@LittleDreamerOfSorts Well like I said I have several ideas floating around for plots, but I'm open to whatever anyone else wants to do. Though in all probability it will be about a bunch of AWOL unwinds on the run, although I'm kinda hoping to mid it up by throwing a hostage non-unwind teenager in there, or maybe a parts pirate or Juvenile Authority chasing after them.

@LittleDreamerOfSorts Of course, everything's interesting with diversity so a tithe would be good. Were you thinking a tithe that learns to be glad they escaped or would they be fighting and trying to get back to be unwound because they think it's their destiny that they have been robbed of?

Users who are viewing this thread