• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Untitled 001

theas

mega nerd
Charlie is a barista.
Evelyn's a CEO.
They meet on one especially rainy Christmas eve.

Charlie

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 11.36.19 PM.png

Evelyn

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 11.32.32 PM.png

• Charlie Sato •

The rain poured hard on the glass panes of the cafe. It was nearly ten o'clock on a Christmas Eve, Charlie knew better than to wait around for customers. She stole a barstool from one of the tall tables and propped it against the wall overlooking the doorway. It was a small, rectangular coffee shop with a terrace that could be viewed through the glass. She enjoyed working there despite the mediocrepay, but she knew she couldn't stay forever. In a month, she'd have officially worked there for six months and she didn't know whether to feel accomplished or like a loser--two completely different feelings. Is this all she could amount for? A local coffee shop barista in some unknown town? She pressed her head against the wall and looked up at the brown ceiling glowing from the dim, soothing lights.

'I suppose I can still be productive even though no one is here', she thought as she pushed herself up from her slouch to retrieve her backpack she kept hidden under the counter. She took out a small black notebook, laid down a few pencils, and began to sketch the room. Since there were no customers and she was the only employee available to work on Christmas eve, she might as well do something for herself. Amongst the raindrops, the low-playing jazz on the shoddy speakers, you could hear the etching of her pencil against the yellowing pages of the little black sketchbook.

( - - - )

ooc: this is actually the song and thumbnail that inspired this plot!

this is what i imagine Charlie to be listening to throughout all this :b

Evelyn cursed the rain, cursed the puddles it made, cursed the cars passing by; splashing water from said puddles into her general direction. But most of all, she cursed herself. She should've known it'd rain, it was probably written in the sky the moment she received an email from the board. Staying at the office on Christmas eve, for Pete sakes. Evelyn scrunched her nose, the smell of fresh rain and the city intermingling in the night air like a dancing duet. Thankfully, it wasn't the afternoon chocking air, most of the city denizens had closed up shop early today, or had taken a leave entirely; So there had been lesser vehicles on the road. Still, she should've known it would rain, only her luck would deem it necessary to both keep her back on Christmas eve and have it rain on the day she didn't drive.
The streets were mostly empty, with a few humans still lingering about, some homeless, some were carrying presents under their umbrellas, kicking water as they ran towards their cars in the hopes that the packaging wouldn't be damaged. Evelyn held back a sigh, things she'd do to be home right now. Not her apartment; No,that wasn't her home home. That was a place she stayed, no attachments whatsoever. Home home was anywhere her parents were; In this case, France, where her father planned Christmas. Last year it had been Italy, the year before was London if she recalled correctly. But Alas, this year; The year she had taken up the mantle of CEO marked the first time she couldn't be with her family during an important celebration. She supposed she should get used to it even though the mere thought made her stomach twist.
She passed by a cafe, orange light spilling onto the walkway, glimmering as the soft patter of rain splashed onto the puddles. Evelyn stopped, turning to gaze into the shop. There were no patrons in sight, she couldn't even make out any employees either due to the rain droplets on the window and foggy glass. Her stomach rumbled upon sniffing the telltale sign of coffee and something baking. She swallowed hard, pulling up her wrist to reveal her watch; it was somewhere past ten and her stomach rumbled again, reminding her that she had skipped lunch and dinner. 'Mother would kill me if she knew I wasn't taking care of myself' She chastised herself mentally.
Thinking no harm in having a quick bite to eat and a warm cup of black coffee to flush that all down, she took a step towards the cafe, folding her umbrella and setting it aside on the door gently. The door chime was a classic touch, Evelyn liked it, it gave cafes that unique character along the perpetual smell of coffee lingering in the air. Music played in the background, Evelyn couldn't stop the small smile etching itself on her face as she approached the counter. Another sound made itself known to Evelyn; a rustle of pencil and paper, 'So there is someone in.' Evelyn thought quickly, tapping on the counter to acquire the barista's attention. The person on the opposite end looked positively bored, but at least she had a comfortable atmosphere to pass the night. Ultimately, Evelyn pitied the girl, she drew the same short straw that Evelyn did; the only difference Evelyn was fully prepared for these circumstances. The barista looked younger than Evelyn, maybe still in college if she took a gander and still manned her station on Christmas eve. That took determination, something the young CEO could appreciate. She rekindled the same soft smile she had wore upon entering and cleared her throat, "Excuse me." Evelyn hoped she didn't look too out of place, even though her suit was probably a tell that she was someone important it was somewhat damp from the rain and no self-respecting CEO would soil a suit so easily.

The drawing was better than Charlie imagined. She was, for the first time in a very long time, proud of her work. Her weakness had always been observational sketches so this was one feat she would definitely share with her friends. "It's a Christmas miracle!" she murmured, signing and dating the bottom of the page. She flipped the page, and began sketching things from her imagination. Christmas Time is Here from the Charlie Brown soundtrack began to play, which inspired her to begin drawing the old cartoon boy and his too-smart-for-his-own-good dog. She grew invested in her work, and didn't notice the figure that lingered outside the window.

The permanent smell of coffee and the baking cookies filled the air of the cozy cafe. She actually didn't mind working that evening. She had no reason to celebrate anyways, with her family living two hours away and her father who would shun her for continuing work as a "waitress". No, that's not something she wanted to think about. She brushed aside those thoughts as quickly as they came, and moved on to her next subject which was the little Christmas tree that Charlie Brown bought for the school play. 'Christmas is here, happiness and cheer...' Charlie hummed alongside the music, unaware that the bell had rung from the door. She only noticed that she was no longer alone when an "excuse me" was heard over the soft music. Charlie jumped, dropping her pencil and losing her balance on the chair. She quickly saved herself by pretending to just be extra attentive to customers.

"Hi! Welcome to the Mug House!" Charlie said with her practiced and signature barista smile. She observed the woman and wondered what she was doing at a coffee shop this late on a Christmas eve. Maybe she didn't observe the holiday? That's normal, not everyone celebrates. The woman's suit, despite how expensive looking it was compared to Charlie's tan apron and her casual outfit, was damp from the rain. Charlie took note to crank up the heat after taking the woman's order, maybe it would help make things more comfortable for her one and only customer. "What can I get for you?" Those words were repeated so often Charlie was surprised she didn't answer the phone that way. She waited for the woman's response and continued her observation while doing so.

She looked older than Charlie but not as old as her brother. 'Probably not', Charlie thought. 'Mid-twenties something?'. It surprised her; the woman looked to be someone important, someone who knows their business, who has their life together, yet she was still very young. Charlie couldn't tell what she felt more of: envy or awe. But whatever it was, the feelings would fade. As all customers, they come and go, no matter what Charlie thought of them.

The barista jumped from her seat, quickly gathering her wits to attend Evelyn with a practiced smile and greeting. Either the girl was caught off guard or was perpetually attentive to her surroundings. Evelyn counted on the former, given the state of the cafe at that moment, maybe the girl thought she could ease a little without worrying about customers. She bit back from clicking her tongue in disagreement, if her own staff were lagging during down-time she'd request a formal letter from them. There was no room for slacking around in Arencorp, either improve or walk out. Evelyn sniffed, brought back by the smell of coffee, she had to remind herself not to be so brazen towards the barista.

"I'll have..." The words drifted for awhile as Evelyn perused the menu, a small frown crinkling her lips, perhaps she should've thought what she needed instead of berating the barista mentally. 'How inefficient of me.' The menu was a simple one, a few things caught her eye, especially the pastries; Evelyn licked her lips inadvertently, the mere pictures of of pastries beckoning another rumble from her empty stomach. It was so pathetic how her body betrayed her social stature, but it was natural, something she couldn't change if she wanted to.

"Sorry," Evelyn said after awhile, feeling guilty for making the girl wait. "I'll have a strudel with whipped cream and black coffee." Evelyn smiled, satisfied with her order. Idly, she tapped on the counter, basking in the cozy atmosphere the cafe provided. Her eyes roamed the scenery, it was so nostalgic? So familiar. Like a scene pulled from a movie or some sort. Even the barista looked like an actor now that she thought about it. She was undoubtedly easy on the eyes; full lips, button nose, a sharp pair of eyes framed by a strong jaw and a full head of shoulder length brown hair. "Feels like I'm in a Christmas ad." She murmured as she waited for the barista.

It took a few moments for the woman to respond with her order. Charlie didn't mind, though, she was used to it. She was also guilty of not preparing her order during those days when she was on the other side of the counter. Charlie reached for one of the paper cups, but realized she forgot to ask whether she would be dining in or taking this to go. She was guessing the former. Charlie eyed the woman subtly and was reminded once more of her wet suit. She already knew what the response would be, but out of protocol she asked, "Is this for here or to go?" It felt foolish to ask, the answer was so obvious. Charlie followed up with a remark, "I'm going to assume it's a dine in." She smiled, letting out a small laugh of air to ease the customer-employee tension.

ooc: sorry this response is so short, i'm just about to travel and i'm in a bit of a rush!! if i can edit before you respond i will!!

"Hmm?" Evelyn looked up from the menu after perusing the second time, silently debating whether she should get more than just what she ordered. "And you'd assume correctly." She offered a small smile. On other days, Evelyn might've been snarky or outright passive-aggressive; but it was Christmas eve, and as bad as her employees might've thought of Evelyn, she wasn't about to be an asshole to a random cafe staff on one of the most important nights in the whole year. Was it a bad call to dine in? Perhaps it was in some way that hasn't occurred to Evelyn yet. Then again, she didn't have anything to do at her apartment, other than answering emails and preparing for work the next day. Christmas tomorrow? Nah, work was never done.

"I would like to have a slice of apple pie too, please." She added, humming. That'd satisfy her stomach that seemed to have a life on it's own. Evelyn turned around and headed for the table next to the window. She set her damp coat on the chair's backrest, pulling it out and taking a seat. The soft pitter-patter of raindrops on windows was more apparent, providing background sound for the playing music.

"Sure thing," Charlie replied almost instantly as the woman added an additional order. She jotted down everything on her trusty notepad--she'd input the order in the register upon payment. When Charlie first started working here, she thought it to be odd that a local coffee shop presented checks instead of pay-as-you-order, but after several months running the place she was unfazed. She loaded the tray with the basics: utensils, some napkins, and the small, hand-painted ceramic plates made by the owner of the joint. There was much detail put into the design and creation of the cafe which Charlie greatly respected.

After brewing the coffee, she neatly poured it into the mug and placed it on the tray. She was diligent with her work mostly because of her perfectionist personality rather than trying to impress her boss or customers. It's how she'd behave if she were home--neat and clean. After the coffee followed the strudel and apple pie which she placed in the heater. She had baked them with Janine, her favorite co-worker, before the latter left to celebrate with her boyfriend. They're still technically fresh, Charlie thought to herself as she heard the 'ding' of the oven indicating they were ready. She topped the strudel with a nice swirl of whipped cream and decided to include a free cookie along with the order. That's an awful lot of sugar, she thought as she eyed the tray. There were decorative packaging and ribbon at hand, which gave Charlie an idea.

Once the order had been completed, Charlie carried the tray over to the woman who had taken refuge in the comfortable sofa chairs by the window. She placed the plates delicately on the table and arranged the table setting in such a way it seemed to be more of a high-end restaurant rather than a local cafe. She removed the tray and hid it behind her back, before presenting the woman a transparent cloth packaging tied neatly with a red ribbon. Inside held three cookies, to which Charlie offered to her to save for later. "Hey, these are on the house. Merry Christmas," she said warmly, extending the package to the customer. There was a hint of worry that she would reject the offer, but no matter. There were an excess amount of cookies that she baked, and whatever was leftover she would either have taken home or given to one of the homeless people she passed by to get to her apartment building. She waited politely, ready for whatever response the woman was going to give.

Last edited:
A sharp ding came from over the counter area after a few minutes, Evelyn shook her head; too lost in her thoughts. Before long, the girl came bounding to her table, the smell of freshly baked pastries came first before the sight of the girl's tan apron. Evelyn had to hand it to the girl, she was absolutely killing it with the look and the overall presentation; a professional even, perhaps. Evelyn rubbed her chin, lips parting to call the girl cute but decided to keep it to herself. Her brow raised curiously as the cashier turned waiter began setting up Evelyn's table, flipping her plans of having a casual evening cuppa to a professional evening coffee. It was an interesting and welcome twist, certainly made Evelyn's night better. A smile on her lips, unbidden, a reflex from the positive atmosphere and scent of a delicious meal grew wider when the girl presented her with deliberately packaged cookies complete with a ribbon.

Dumbstruck at the polite gesture, Evelyn was unsure how to proceed; Deciding to stare at the packaging for longer than necessary before snapping her attention back to the girl's gorgeous face. Her eyes narrowed for a split second; gaze alternating from the package to the waiter's face. "Am I being pranked?" The question flew out her mouth before she could think. The thought of someone being so cordial without expecting anything in return... Unless she was hoping for a tip, to which Evelyn would gladly give and was planning to anyway.

The rain seemed to grow heavy, dashing her plans of having a quick meal; it seemed like she was stuck there for an hour or two and she wondered when the cafe closed; hoping she could shelter there for awhile. Luckily, the rainfall didn't drown the music; it played on unperturbed by the almost angry splatters of rain against the window. It was still relaxing for Evelyn, the heavier it was the likelier she'd fall asleep like a log. Now, only to get home and take advantage of the heavy rain to sleep in; that seemed unlikely, she'd have to call a cab. Which she didn't want to, drivers were more likely to hike the price up on a Christmas Eve.

It was a bit odd, but the woman took longer than Charlie expected to react to the cookies. I guess it is out of the ordinary, she thought to herself, before setting the package down on the table beside the cup of coffee. If she decided that she doesn't want it, she could always leave it there for Charlie to pick up later. "Am I being pranked?" the woman asked suddenly, much to Charlie's surprise. It made her laugh, what an odd thing to say! After she collected herself from her small bout of giggles, she answered. "No, seriously, they're free." She nodded her head towards the cookies. "I baked too many, if you're wondering. Personally, I think they taste amazing. It'd be a shame to go to waste," she explained, hoping to relieve the customer of her doubts.

There was something about the atmosphere that had been changed. With the soothing Christmas jazz, the heavy downpour, and the dim light contrasting with the rain scenery just outside the window, Charlie felt lighter about the evening. She began to feel intrigued by the customer and hoped they would converse during her stay just like in the movies. Charlie wondered what she was doing here so late on a Christmas eve, and with her looks wondered how she didn't have a partner waiting for her at home. Aw, come on, you're jumping to conclusions. She shook her head lightly hoping to shake away her thoughts.

"Hey, let me know if you need anything else. I'm gonna crank up the heat, you must be cold from the rain," she announced, eyeballing the jacket that the woman had draped over the backrest. "I'm Charlie, by the way."

The girl laughed, actually laughed at the 'Ice Queen' of Arencorp. Evelyn stopped from slapping herself in the face, seriously, getting pranked? What was this? Real life television? No one would dare prank her in the first place, to even entertain the thought... Fortunately, the waitress' bout of laughter died off slowly, replaced by a rather cheerful grin. Evelyn examined the packaged cookies skeptically, holding back the urge to narrow her eyes. No one gave her anything without asking for something in return, not even her parents. There was Noah, but he was a weirdo, plain and simple.

She exhaled slowly, drawing her eyes back to the girl's quite innocent face. Evelyn took a moment to study the girl quietly, she in turn seemed to be studying Evelyn as well; Her eyes crinkled in delight, muscle above the cheeks activated, posture relaxed and in control; One arm holding the platter behind her back, a practiced habit. She was genuine as far as Evelyn could tell, and there was probably little risk that the cookies were poisoned... Evelyn nodded as the girl explained, which all made sense, bakeries sometimes baked too much; logically cafe's would face the same dilemma as well. No sense in wasting, Evelyn thought.

"Harper, Evelyn Harper." She replied, trying to match Charlie's enthusiasm but failing. The mood was alright enough, and Evelyn was as happy as she could be after being forced to stay back on a Christmas Eve but Charlie's light-heartedness far surpassed what Evelyn could crank out in that department so Evelyn settled with a smile. "Ah, Thank you," Evelyn said, the cup of coffee hovering just beneath her nose, the scent teasing her senses. Evelyn took a tentative sip, enjoying the bitter sweet taste before taking a few more. An idea popped in her mind; an embarrassing one if she was honest with herself, but she thought she'd might as well try to make light conversation with 'Charlie'. Noah had been urging her to make a few more friends if she could help it. "I'd imagine business is going slow?" She tried, wisps of steam from the coffee tickling her nose.

After Evelyn finally responded, Charlie made her way over to the thermostat to adjust the temperature. She preferred the shop to be a little cool so she could wear her favorite sweater, but she realized she had some sacrifices to make on this especially rainy and cold evening. The clock was nearing ten forty-five to which Charlie did not notice. It was unlike her to ignore the time, but she had gotten distracted by a question Evelyn had brought up. "I'd imagine business is going slow?" she inquired. Charlie glanced back at her as she spoke, watching as she held the mug after taking a sip. She didn't normally converse with customers, and she wasn't sure how to carry herself. Should she take her place back at the counter? Or should she take a seat at one of the tables (while making sure to keep her respectful distance). She decided to take a seat by the bar near the register. A good middle-ground for her newfound dilemma.

"Yeah, sure is," she responded, taking a look around to confirm her statement. "It's real busy in the mornings usually, but you know with the storm and all and it being Christmas eve, we started seeing less people around here just a little into the afternoon." It felt a bit odd for Charlie to discuss work, she only spoke about it with Janine and on occasion her classmates--the ones she liked, anyways--but never to strangers, and god-forbid customers. The owner of the Mug House was very cool-headed anyways, and Charlie was sure she wouldn't mind casual talk about the cafe. Just as long as it wasn't slander.

"I'm curious," Charlie began, hoping that she wouldn't overstep her boundaries and bother Evelyn as she enjoyed her food, "are you observant of the holiday?" She swiveled in the barstool slowly, contemplating whether she should make herself a cup of coffee as well if it wasn't too rude.

Evelyn nodded along as Charlie recounted how it had been slow since the afternoon and attributed the lack of customers due to the holiday. She took careful sips as Charlie continued; Evelyn felt oddly like they were acquaintances or even friends, just sharing stories after losing contact. It certainly felt that way to Evelyn, not that she had many friends in the first place or any memories that she could relate the feeling to. But she imagined it would feel like this; just breaking down the day's events with a cup of cocoa or coffee in hand-- Evelyn paused mid-sip, turning her head slowly to glance at Charlie sitting on a nearby stool; looking like she had nothing else to do.
The stool turned ever so slightly, Charlie shooting another question in an attempt to maintain the mood. "I am." Evelyn replied easily, a twinge of sadness pulling on her heart. "Business matters held me back." She clarified, sipping the coffee. "And you?" That was how conversations normally went wasn't it? A return of the original question? 'How are you?' 'I'm fine, what about you?' deal. She had this in the bag, socializing just for the sake of socializing was easy... In concept. Evelyn still hadn't nailed it down yet even with a legion of staff at her beck and call.

The conversation, although rather formal, was rather enjoyable for Charlie. It had been awhile since she had a decent conversation with someone what with her being busy with both school and work, and actively avoiding going home to see her family. The last time she had met someone new like this was a few months ago when Janine started working at the cafe. Was it lame of her to not have many people she knew outside of school and work? It's normal, isn't it? She thought quietly as she followed her finger around the swirls of the brown marble countertop.

Evelyn had returned the question which was only fair. It's peculiar to have a store open on this night, Charlie was sure the Mug House was the only establishment still in business on the street except for the McDonalds by the corner. It was a bit of her choice, anyways. She could use the money and had nothing else to do for the night. "I used to be, but now it kind of just seems like a hassle, you know?" She swiveled again. "Traveling a few hours to see your family for the same kinds of conversation, spending money on gifts that would most likely end up on a shelf or in storage... I don't know, maybe it's just me. Holidays are better when you're a kid." She trailed off at the end, wondering if she had shared too much information. She glanced back to the window. What a mood for a cup of something warm right now.

"Do you mind if I brew something for myself? I know it's a bit unprofessional, but on a night like this I just can't help it."

Cutlery clanked against the platter, as Evelyn began digging into the strudel, scooping a generous amount of cream with a small bite of the pastry. Her taste buds were treated with a sweet sensation, beckoning her to close her eyes and enjoy the moment; all the while Charlie explained her circumstances. Evelyn swallowed, and took a sip of her coffee to complete the taste run. "Mhm, I do enjoy those same conversations however." Evelyn said softly, a wave of memories washing over her; her father scooping her up from the couch when she fell asleep waiting for Santa, her mom bantering with him about Christmas preparations. Those things happened less when she was a teenager, but it was still a jovial affair. So perhaps Charlie was right, it was just her.

When Charlie spoke again, Evelyn caught herself staring at her fork; snapping her gaze away, she resumed eating; pausing to gaze at Charlie, "Help yourself," She replied without missing a beat. Evelyn wanted to offer the girl a drink, perhaps even sit with her; sharing Christmas stories or just anything in general, like a clichéd movie. But that's assuming Evelyn was a socialite that was capable of holding a conversation with a stranger for more than fifteen minutes; discussing mundane topics such as weather and the like.

When in reality it was the opposite, she didn't do small talk, straight and simple. For some reason however, she felt rather adventurous tonight; contemplating ways she could engage in a chat or banter with Charlie. The waitress seemed to be a different cut from the rest of the kids, if her sentiment regarding Christmas was anything to go by, the girl's views were different from most of her generation. Evelyn liked a bit of fresh air, an insight into today's youth conducted on her own and not through a mouth-piece. "It is a rather beautiful night, isn't it?" Evelyn remarked, turning to gaze out the wide-window, the wind blowing the droplets of water on the wide window, causing them to run a side-ways rivulets.

With Evelyn's go-signal, Charlie hopped off the barstool and made her way to the other side of the counter once more. The whirring of the coffee machine rang out around the room, adding onto the array of sounds that made up for the coffee shop's ambiance. It was a wonder how Charlie's body could keep up with how much caffeine she put into her body on a daily basis. With her morning and evening teas, and her daily coffee that she drank before each shift, she was surprised that her teeth hadn't already grown yellow and fallen out. Maybe with New Year's approaching, she would make a resolution to limit her coffee intake. She was growing tired of it anyways.

The machine had finished brewing, and Charlie topped off her Caramel Latte with a caramel drizzle over the foam. It looked delicious! Charlie wished Evenlyn had ordered a more daring drink than black coffee only so she could show off her presentation skills, but no matter. She received plenty of compliments when customers took photos of their mugs before drinking. Although she wasn't fond of the culture wherein people must take photos of their food before eating it, she did feel flattered when customers documented her work.

After placing two cookies on the side of platter that held the mug, she brought her servings back to her place by the barstools. It was at this moment when Evelyn continued their calm conversation by bringing up the lovely evening. Charlie took a sip before responding. "Truly... It's not often I run into nights like this, but when I do they're some of the most pleasant evenings I have." She took another sip. She wanted to learn more about Evelyn, what she did and why she seemed so... what's the word? Posh...

"If you don't mind me asking, what do you do?" She took a bite into one of the cookies. Dang, I could have my own bakery with this! she thought before taking another, rather larger, bite.

Evelyn found herself agreeing to Charlie's assessment, it was a pleasant evening indeed even though it put a damper on Evelyn's plans. Charlie went to the back for a moment, returning with a mug and a platter. Evelyn glanced towards her direction a few times, Charlie seemed rather satisfied with her handiwork if her elated reaction was anything to go by. Evelyn grabbed the packaging, silently examining the red ribbon and cookies lined inside, it was a surprise the waitress could whip the batch into a packaging that fast without pre-planning; part of Evelyn thought Charlie had actually planned to give it to someone else and something happened; prompting her to stay back at the cafe and just hand out the gift to some random customer. It was an interesting thought to ponder on.

Apparently, Charlie was as interested in Evelyn just as much as she was interested in her. "I don't mind." Evelyn smiled, "Before I answer that however, please have a seat across me. It is rather odd with you being so far." She motioned to the seat across her with her free hand, hoping Charlie would accept the offer.

There's a first for everything, and the first time a customer had asked Charlie to sit with them had just arrived. Evelyn had requested Charlie to take the seat across from her before answering her question, motioning towards the chair with her hand. Charlie did not know how to feel about this offer but complied silently, tilting her head and raising her brows in subtle surprise. She lifted the mug and its accessories and transferred it to the window seat, feeling the warmth of the coffee seep through the ceramic and into her palms. There was a sudden warmth she felt as she took a seat, from the coffee and the large, welcoming cushions. Could it also be heat from her cheeks growing warm? She still wasn't accustomed to dining with the clientele.

"So," she began, taking a sip then placing her mug down. "What do you do?" She was careful with her tone and made sure she didn't come off as too invasive or demanding. Charlie was also aware of her demeanor, and made sure to remain professional. After all, she was still the server of the evening despite being invited to sit and chat with a customer. She sat on the edge of her seat, giving off an air of formality, and to give Evelyn her undivided and genuine attention.

Fortunately, Charlie accepted her offer, not knowing what she'd have done if Charlie refused. Perhaps feel slightly embarrassed and promising to herself not to do that ever again. Ha! Evelyn deserved the title of Queen of overreaction. Charlie sat across her as she had requested, a slight pinkish-tint invading the girl's cheeks as she balanced the mug of coffee in her palm. It seemed like Charlie was trying her best to present herself in the best way and that was trying to match Evelyn's air of dominance; was it dominance? Evelyn didn't know, but she liked to call it as such, she did owe the impeccable aura the credit of bending the more arguable of partners into submission.

"I'm a supervisor, I supervise people." She answered smoothly, as rehearsed a hundred times in front of her bathroom mirror. Perfect, she thought. It had a sliver of truth behind it, so she didn't feel at all guilty for telling that lie, she did supervise people in a way; more like a whole company though. Semantics. "I suppose I should ask you what you do, but I think I have a clear idea." She smiled, taking a sip. "Working full-time?"

With each exchange of words, Charlie felt a bit more at ease. A supervisor, huh? Charlie wondered what for. Judging from Evelyn's attire, Charlie deducted she was a supervisor at an actual company rather than a supervisor of a retail store. That was a job Charlie would dread, having to be responsible for other people. She could barely be responsible for herself, let alone others. Evelyn returned the question to her. Charlie was a bit embarrassed when she assumed that she was working full-time, it wasn't something she was rather proud of. 'Hi, I'm Charlie, and I'm a barista.' Blech! How could she carry herself with that title when there were others her age who were twice as successful as her? No, she wouldn't allow herself to just amount to that.

"Ah, fortunately, no," Charlie responded, setting down her mug. She set both arms against the arm rests and leaned forward, ready to explain her situation. Not entirely, of course, but to shed a little light onto Charlie's professional issues. "I'm a working student, I suppose. Part time here, and just in my final year of university." Her gaze went from Evelyn to outside the window. She thought for a moment before continuing. "I'm an art student," she explained vaguely. "I know it's risky, but it's what I enjoy doing. It's what I'm good at. I'm trying to specialize in special effects and graphic design, but my broad course is film."

There was a comfortable silence as Charlie paused, forming sentences in her mind. Evelyn embraced the little details like a shark swimming with a school of fish. Evelyn enjoyed her coffee as much as the company; and her previous assessment proved to be true, Charlie was different than most of her generation. Evelyn knew enough that most kids these days preferred to be lawyers, doctors, pilots and the like. Something that promised a steady and above average income; whilst Evelyn didn't have anything against artists and musicians, she knew the market for them was saturated, too many were trying to get into that life, Evelyn didn't blame Charlie for trying none the less. An artists life was luxurious, no lack of enjoyment and provided connections everywhere. Thankfully, Charlie's choice of art was film making and specializing in special effects and graphic design.

Evelyn nodded, approving the choice inadvertently. The course offered job opportunities outside of film-making so Charlie's choices weren't exactly limited towards film. "Every job has it's risks, and you seem to think--is lack of job opportunities I presume?" She asked, brow curving as she crossed her legs. "I assure you, graphic design and special effects are in high-demand, I know it." She smiled knowingly. It was true, Evelyn had to approve a lot of advertising material before they were released and that was after multiple checks from her advertisement managers. The demand for specific art-styles and design was at an all-time high. Charlie had unknowingly signed herself into an open and wide market, for that Evelyn was relieved. As time passed, the winds were beginning to let up, the rain slowing to a drizzle as both unlikely companions shared their tales into the night.

Evelyn gave Charlie some words of reassurance, much to Charlie's pleasant surprise. It was not often that she was met with such acceptance and support, especially not from her father. She looked down into her mug with a grin as she heard those words, and slowly let it fade as the seconds ticked by. "I know there will always be opportunities, but the ones I'm aiming for may be lacking." Her attention turned to the window, where the pounding rain slowly transitioned into a soft drizzle. The night was calming, which was setting for such a mellow conversation. "I'm not too concerned. Life is how it is. You take what's given to you and live with it." This statement did not mean that Charlie was okay with mediocrity. She just knew that sometimes you just need to be accepting of what your life has become and work from there. Everyone starts somewhere, right?

The mug had emptied and only crumbs remained on her tiny plate. It was nearing midnight, and Charlie remembered that she still needed to tidy up shop, lock up, and bike home. She didn't complain, though. It was still a peaceful evening, and the conversation with Evelyn was something new to her that she enjoyed. She secretly hoped that Evelyn would visit the cafe again, but she did not have the audacity to ask that. Instead she pondered quietly to herself, letting the soft music resonate around the quiet winter air.

Going by Charlie's body language, it seemed like she approved of Evelyn's assurance. Well, she wasn't a CEO of a multi-national company without the ability to understand humans. She just mostly chose to use her understanding to make them cower and tremble; giving her what she wanted in the process. Rarely did she use her skills to motivate people. But Charlie appeared as if she really needed it, there was no use in putting down a talent before it even started. Funny how Charlie was so mature for a college student; pragmatic... That was the term, Evelyn nodded. That was all and good, but how odd it was to find an art student so pragmatic. One would think they would be all sunshine and rainbows.

The soft idle chatter carried on to the night, Evelyn not minding one bit of the company. It was almost midnight, she assumed as Charlie began gazing off, perhaps contemplating how to ask Evelyn to leave. Evelyn suppressed a snort, one could just ask. The CEO finished her cup of coffee with a long silent sip, the strudel already long gone. The rain letting up and winds died off. She cleared her throat to gain Charlie's attention, "Miss, I thank you for the meal and warm company." She smiled, sliding a hundred dollar bill towards Charlie, "Keep the rest." She winked, Evelyn thought it was cringe worthy, but it was Christmas Eve, she was allowed at least a moment in the year to be just Evelyn the Cringe-machine and not Evelyn the demon.

Evelyn gathered her things, donning her coat over her suit, a small frown on her face as she was reminded of the damp clothes. She muttered a quick fare-well to the server once more, reminding herself she should look at the cafe's folio later, tomorrow maybe. Evelyn stepped out, hooking the end of her umbrella to her forearm and took a modest gulp of fresh-air into her lungs, the scent of rain still lingering like dew in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back