• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Unsubscribe from Email Messages

CJWrites

Elder Member
Hey, I have a concern 

I noticed that there's no unsubscribe button or way to having the emails stop in the actual email. I know in Canada, you MUST have an unsubscribe mechanism. I'm kinda concerned and I'd hate to see this site get into legal trouble though I doubt the government can/will actually act.

I think the admins need to be made aware that this is not only bad practice but potentially illegal. Having no unsubscribe button can alienate and annoy your user base and it's highly irregular not to have one.

Uh, it's possible under notification settings. It's literally the first thing I did after the update came out.

Yes. I meant in the actual email itself. 

So imagine this scenario. An active user decides he wants to quit and lost his password. But everyday he's still getting lots of replies to his RT and people are messaging him about it. Hence he's getting lots of unwanted email per day. I mean sure... he can filter it as spam or contact the admins but its the responsibility of the company, not the user to provide this functionality. Not to mention if he filters it as spam, then he could miss important information such as if this site got hacked and passwords/usernames were leaked and the site needed to tell him to change it in all places where he had the same password. 

I'm probably overblowing this.... lol 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I meant in the actual email itself. 

So imagine this scenario. An active user decides he wants to quit and lost his password. But everyday he's still getting lots of replies to his RT and people are messaging him about it. Hence he's getting lots of unwanted email per day. I mean sure... he can filter it as spam or contact the admins but its the responsibility of the company, not the user to provide this functionality. Not to mention if he filters it as spam, then he could miss important information such as if this site got hacked and passwords/usernames were leaked and the site needed to tell him to change it in all places where he had the same password. 

I'm probably overblowing this.... lol 

Probably because said user would've stopped email notifications before they quit.

How many times have you decided to quit a website and said "oh. I should turn off my email notifications first" 

Most people just kinda stop going onto it. They don't really make the conscious decision. 

Again, its the responsibility of the sender, not the client. Its good policy and I've never seen an email from an organisation without an unsubscribe link, although I'm sure more exist. Not having one reflects badly on the site. 

At least according to Canadian law, there must be an unsubscribe mechanism.

How many times have you decided to quit a website and said "oh. I should turn off my email notifications first" 

Most people just kinda stop going onto it. They don't really make the conscious decision. 

Again, its the responsibility of the sender, not the client. Its good policy and I've never seen an email from an organisation without an unsubscribe link, although I'm sure more exist. Not having one reflects badly on the site. 

At least according to Canadian law, there must be an unsubscribe mechanism.

Yes, but if they've been bothered by the alerts before they left.... See? That and the site is American (I think) owned.

Well, we're beholden to American laws, not Canadian laws, but thanks for your suggestion! Staff has seen it and will discuss it. c:

I see what you're saying. Not a problem for me or anything, but yeah emails do usually have at the bottom something that says, "Click here to unsubscribe from emails." or something like that. 

@StoneWolf18

You're placing the blame on the user. Again its the responsibility of the sender. 

I got pretty annoyed when I found out there wasn't one since I used to work in the marketing industry and we always triple checked the unsubscribe links and that was before the law. It also took me a while to find the place where I unsubscribe from emails although I did find it. 

I know. That's why I said they probably couldn't enforce it. Still, technically as long as you're sending emails to Canadian users, you're required to comply. (although again, they can't do anything if you don't) 

Well, we're beholden to American laws, not Canadian laws, but thanks for your suggestion! Staff has seen it and will discuss it. c:

Thanks for taking it into consideration ^^ Even a link which just takes you to the https://www.rpnation.com/notifications/options/ page would go a long way 

At the bottom of the emails I get there is a link to where you can unfollow or change your notification settings. So it's not like you are incapable of stopping the emails from coming you just have to sign on to do it. 

Also if you don't want the emails at all you just label them spam. I did that in my gmail and I stopped getting them all together. I did it in hotmail and they just went to spam and I delete that daily anyway.

We really strongly ask that users don't mark our emails as spam, because that can cause our emails - all of them - to get blacklisted on some servers...

Huh maybe that's what happened in hotmail. Cuz I tried to take them out of spam - as I did want to get the emails - but it labelled them as spam anyway. No matter how many times I clicked - not junk - it just kept putting them in the spam folder.

I think with gmail it was an accident but again I couldn't reverse it. I ended up just changing my email entirely to aol to actually get the notifications.

That's why I said it would work for someone who didn't want the emails because nothing I could figure out fixed the issue.

Huh maybe that's what happened in hotmail. Cuz I tried to take them out of spam - as I did want to get the emails - but it labelled them as spam anyway. No matter how many times I clicked - not junk - it just kept putting them in the spam folder.

I think with gmail it was an accident but again I couldn't reverse it. I ended up just changing my email entirely to aol to actually get the notifications.

That's why I said it would work for someone who didn't want the emails because nothing I could figure out fixed the issue.

You can whitelist an email address by adding it to your contacts list =) 

But yeah.... don't mark things as spam unless its unsolicited or malicious. If you signed up for a newsletter and no longer want it or something, unsubscribe. Cause it not only causes you to miss important emails but spam filters now look at it a lot more closely and other people might not receive their emails they actually want. 

Which is exactly what happened. I never really marked hotmail as spam they did that on their own. I don't remember marking google as spam but they kind of automatically do that if you get a lot of emails from a single website that you don't open right away.

So that's why I offered it as a solution. Because I spent a week solid trying to get the notifications and ended up having to move my email entirely because I couldn't.

It wasn't intentional on my part but it surely gave you exactly the situation you were asking for. I couldn't get my emails for love or money.

Sorry I wasn't clear when I offered the solution. I didn't do it intentionally if anything I tried to reverse the process but couldn't. And I moved to two entirely separate emails to try to get back my emails.

But I ended up having to make an aol account before my emails would show back up. 

I just assumed that putting things as spam would produce the same results because on the one email where they showed up at all they were marked spam - without my doing anything.

Although if you don't want to get them and you don't want to mark them as spam filters might work. I'm not sure if you can filter something into your trash folder but it's certainly worth a try. Or just sign in and change your notification settings.

Probably the easiest option actually. And it's the one that they link to on the emails anyway. lol sorry the spam thing got off topic I was actually recommending just click the change notifications link on your email and do it that way.

Yeah. 

The reason I raised the alarm is because I didn't see a "Change your notification settings" link... Although Google does put an "Unsubscribe" which asks if you want to stop receiving these kinds of messages. Clicking Learn More leads you to info about the problems of Spam but I didn't actually click it cause I want to still receive important update emails. There's nothing after the ... either. I think its acceptable to just have a link and have you sign in. Ideally, it'll lead you to a site with check boxes of "I dont want to recieve X anymore" and an option to opt out of everything.

I'd be happy to help but I don't think I have the necessary history to be a coder here.... 

screen.png

It might be an google thing. Aol when I get a notification about this thread this shows up at the bottom of the email.

email.png

Although ironically it doesn't show up on the email I get about you quoting me.

I've not looked at any of my old emails to see one way or another. So you might want to look at individual emails at the bottom. It could be just a function of threads you follow rather than individual mentions.

Which would make sense as that would be the things that would continue on after you left the site. Versus notifications of pms or quotes which would presumably fall away after you left.

Update : so I've looked at a few emails and so far the only ones with this Unfollow/Notification link are the ones related to threads I follow. The mention and quote emails don't seem to have them at the bottom. 

Aaahhh I see. Yeah I don't recieve thread emails. That one was about a PM sent to me. So they don't have it either. 

Yes, please don't mark us as spam.  If you don't want to get emails, just go into notification settings and click the green boxes under Email so that they're gray instead.  Problem solved. :P

We'll look into having links inside emails, though I think they should already be like that...

Sounds like it's Mentions and Quotes we need to look more closely at, from what you said.  If you come across more, please let us know what type of notification it is, either here or in a support ticket, and we'll look at those as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back