Unspoken of (1x1)

ReturnToSender

Sylus stood at the front entrance of his family estate home- the lanterns burning brightly against the dusky shadows. Breathing in the cold night air, he smiled and squared his shoulders. "Home." Opening his arms in an extravagant gesture towards his home, he laughed and turned toward an elderly looking man who carried bags and boxes and coats on him like a pack horse. "We're home Roffwell. We're finally at home." The young masters fangs glinted in the orange light of the lanterns revealing hat he was despite the obvious red of his eyes.

The elderly man kept his yellow, aged eyes down and nodded so vigorously, it shook his shoulder. "Y-yes young master... home is where we are as it is."

"Well... don't just stand there you old bigot. Open the bloody door." The master was arrogant and harsh yet had most taken a moment to ask, he'd have soon told them of the old mans fate before he came to serve him.

Moving as quick as his bent legs would let him, Rothwell opened the large wooden doors and waited until his master had walked inside to close them.

"God it hasnt changed one bit." The inside of the estate was exquisite; marble floors, high decorative ceilings and a two way staircase right infront as you walked in. The table legs and chair legs were painted gold, the chandeliers were glistening like ice shards and the fabrics and silks hadnt faded one bit. "...perfect. Just perfect."

Maximum stood at one of the corridor's openings as Sylus entered the large front doors of his estate, her head dipped slightly down as to show respect to the young master. She lifted her gleaming eyes, nevertheless, to watch the vampire's actions and movements. The girl's short, curled auburn hair shielded her face like a stage curtain — closed so that she was hidden.

Never speaking unless spoken to, she remained silent, her thin lips ever so slightly parted. The echo of the man's voice rippled through the area, finding it's way into every nook and cranny of their surroundings. The young woman stood with proper posture, her back straight, her feet together. However, most of her light weight was shifted toward her left side; her right ankle had never returned to it's full mobility after her accident and wasn't strong enough to support a deal of pressure.

Her eyelashes were lowered, the darkness and length of them cloaking her strange multi-colored eyes. She just watched the two males as they stepped through the grand doors, observing. Judging. Not that she would ever admit to doing so aloud.

She tended to judge the people in the estate often, including the master himself. It was just part of who she was. Whether it be for small things, such as an action, or the person in general. Maximum always jumped to conclusions when it came to people. She was just that cynical.

His walk was elegant and for him it seemed as easy as breathing. Every movement was calculated and efficient and for a human, he could imagine this was quite unnatural looking, however, in his 300 odd years, Sylus had taken it upon himself to learn the arts of human movement once again and now, he simply looked refined and well brought up. Lifting his nose to the air, he closed his eyes and inhaled. "Rothwell you old snake... you havent introduced us." With his eyes still closed, he turned towards the girl and opened them- they glittered a brilliant red against the black lashes that framed his eyes and his pale skin complimented them well. Looking straight at the young women, he smirked- a pleasant yet unnerving sight. "And who might you be?"

"Maximum Calex, master," the woman responded, her head remaining slightly bowed as Sylus's attention became focused solely on her. Her gaze lifted, now silently analyzing the face and features of the vampire that stood before her. The color of his eyes was unnatural — like her own, except hers much less so. His were an improbable shade, while hers just weren't one complete hue. What her stare remained fixed on, however, was the smirk that curved the corners of his lips upward. After her little observance, she tilted her head down again and let her fingertips rest lightly on her thighs as she waited for acknowledgement. Other than the fact that one could see the ever so slight rise and fall of her breathing pattern, she stayed still.

Walking over to her, he was close enough to touch her. Raising his hand, he ran his hand down the outline of her face, yet he didnt touch her skin. "Hello Miss Calex... " Looking back at Rothwell, he grinned showing his fangs before looking back at her. "What is a beauty like you doing in the house whilst I'm here?" He laughed slightly and brushed his cold hand against her warm cheek before bowing his shoulders. "A pleasure to meet you, sweet"

She swallowed as he neared, and just stared straight ahead as he brought his hand up to her pale face. She inhaled slightly and flinched as she felt the coldness of his hand against her cheek, blinking twice before inadvertently casting her gaze downward, toward the polished floor. "You as well." She bowed her head again, flicking her colorful eyes upward to glance at the tall young man. He was handsome, yet Maximum pretended as if she didnt notice.

Furrowing his brows, he tilted her chin up and looked at her closely. "Those eyes... whoever gave you those was very generous." Sighing, he smiled quickly and walked up the stairs. "Rothwell, I'm exhausted. I'll be in my room for the rest of the evening... Miss Calex, I look forward to seeing you again." Walking down the halls, he opened the door to his old room and fell into the chair beside his bed. Running his long fingers through his hair, he exhaled and closed his eyes for a moment in the dark.

After she watched Sylus disappear around the corner, she lifted her left hand and rested her fingertips lightly under her eye. She stared ahead though her gaze seemed to be fixed on nothing. She could still feel the places on her skin that he had touched — his hand had been so cold. After a moment she snapped out of her stupor, shaking her head slightly to remove her short curls from her face.

Rothwell picked up the stuff he had walked in with and made his way towards Maximum, an eye brow raised. "Young master Sylus... he's not for you young madam. He'd eat you up for dinner.." Nodding, he slowly made his way to the stairs, his old knees creaking as he went. "You just stay clear of him missy... listen to one who's been with him for many years now. He's no good."

Sylus was sat in the dark, listening to every word. The old fool was right and he had no clue why, but it bothered him when people said such things. He knew they were bang on the truth, but actually hearing it hurt. Tilting his head back, he exhaled once more and swallowed. It had been a long 10 years since he'd been back home; 10 years was usually nothing... but a lot had happened since then.

"Yes, I know." Maximum nodded her head in response to show that she understood, making brief eye contact before averting her gaze. She tucked locks of hair behind her ear as she watched the older man walk up the stairs, her expression retaining the serious overtone that it usually did. It seemed that this woman never smiled — never showed positive emotion, even. Just somberness.

From the reception room, came a middle aged woman witha brisk walk and a stern face, her hair tied in a bun. She was one of those constantly busy types. Standing infront of Maximum, she spoke with a deep, loud voice that could command an army. "Miss Calex, see to it that the young master gets this." Handing her an envelope, the inscription on the front was written in the finest hand and the stamp was of deep purple wax with a G printed in it. It read 'To my dearest brother'. Placing her hands on her hips, the woman narrowed her eyes and pursed her lips. "Lady Georgette... she plans to visit soon I'd imagine... well, off with you. Hurry now"

"Yes, right away, ma'am," Maximum replied to the older woman as she took the envelope, before turning down the corridor to head to Sylus. She walked with her typical limp, her right ankle faltering each time she took a step. As she went down the hallway, she observed the deep violet seal that held the flap closed and looked at the extrodinarily neal penminship on the front. Now infront of the young master's room, she knocked lightly on the doorframe, standing in the doorway. "Letter from your sister, master." She then held out the small pouch for him to take.

His head lifting from his work, he spoke in a monotonous tone. "Come in." Getting back to what he was doing, he continued to fiddle under a magnifying glass as he fixed the tiny cogs of a watch. His hair was ruffled and he was less intimidating hunched over a candle lit project.

She bobbed her head slightly and took steps further into the room, doing as she was told. Her eyes flickered over to where Sylus sat hunched over his work, and she watched him, her head cocked. Her arms rested as her sides, her long fingers still grasping the envelope.

Sighing, he dropped what he was doing and stood up, turning to face her. His top button on his shirt was undone and his sleeves were rolled up revealing his slender forearms and wrists. In the dim light, he could almost pass for a human if it wasnt for the red glint in his eyes and the feline fangs that pressed into his bottom lip when he smiled. Though, he didnt smile when he turned to her, he looked weary and troubled. Walking over to her, he kept his eyes on her but gently took the envelope from her hands, his fingers brushing hers. Finally looking at the letter, he raised a brow at the seal and hesitated before opening it. Turning the paper in his long fingers, he sighed. "Dear brother, it recently came to my attention that you have returned home from France. I cannot tell you what joy this..." He trailed off and continued to read in a monotonous tone. "Hmm... well, this should be interesting." He smiled at her and winked before turning to place the letter on his desk. "Georgette plans to visit tomorrow evening... I expect she'll stay the night so be sure to have someone prepare her a room" lifting his hand, he smiled. "Oh, and see to it that you stay clear of her as much as possible." Walking over to her, he tilted her chin up and leant forward slightly. "I saw you first... and I dont share." Smirking in that pleasant but unnerving way he always did, he let her go and walked back to his desk slowly. "You very rarely speak Miss Calex. Why is that?"

She automatically retracted her hand as she felt his fingers skim along her own, her movement suggesting that she wasn't a fan of being touched. Both of her arms now at rest by her sides, her eyes and attention were jointly fixed on him as he read the letter, listening to his prosaic tone as he droned on. As he winked, Maximum raised an eyebrow in an almost scoffing way yet still remained silent, only acknowledging his request instead of giving an immediate verbal response. After a moment, however, she spoke. "Yes, I'll see that a room is prepared for her." Her words were more of a murmur than a regular volume, and she flinched as she felt his cold hand on her face again. "Er, yes Master Sylus. I'll be sure not to purposely get in Lady Georgette's way." As he withdrew and let go, her head tilted down and her gaze locked on the floor. She pursed her thin lips after hearing his question and her eyes tarried on the floor before she lifted them again. "I'm not a very talkative person. I tend to be more of an observer."

He tilted his head from side to side and acknowledged what she said. "Observing is highly underrated... many of my kind could learn a thing or two about everything if they took the time to just watch." He smirked. "Myself included... but alas, it seems Vampires are all made of the same stuff. Impatience and over indulgence two of the main I would say..." Turning, he looked at her and tilted his head. "Like just see here... look at me fixing these old and broken watches as if it were my profession. It's not... I've just taken advantage of the years I've been given and taken it up as a hobby. It mocks the watch makers do you not think?... though, theres method behind my madness miss Calex." Turning back to his work, he continued. "So come on... tell me what it is you've "observed" about me. What are your deep and philosophical thoughts on young master Sylus?"

Maximum cleared her throat and let out an awkward cough, her lips pursing again as she stared at the floor. In reality, her observations could be classified into two main categories: the positives and the judgmental conclusions. No matter who the person was, she always found some way to mentally criticize him or her - whether for being too mean or too nice, too cocky or too modest. She was a very presumptuous girl and most of her internal commentary wasn't very kind. "You seem to be the talkative type," she began, grasping the hem of her blouse.

He laughed and shook his head. "You disappoint me... come now, truly. Your thoughts... not what you think is safe to say." Turning to face her, he crossed his arms against his chest. "Lets see what youre made of Maximum Calex. Tell your young master exactly what he is... " waving his hand, he tilted his head. "In your opinion... of course."

Maximum narrowed her eyes a little, glancing up at the taller man as if she were trying to see if there was sarcasm in his words. He was telling her that she should say exactly what she thought of him, no matter if she felt it was safe or not. Unfortunately for her, she couldn't pick out any emotion in his monotonous voice. Yet, with the rash conclusions she usually jumped to, she didn't want to get on the young master's bad side. But, surely it was worth a shot?

"My opinion?" She questioned, her own head tilted to the left as well. She swallowed and loosely crossed her slender arms over her chest. In addition to that movement, there might have up even been the ghost of a smile present. "I'm warning you that I'm cynical and quite judgmental, so pardon me if I say something wrong." She bit down on her tongue briefly before speaking again. "Through my eyes, you seem to be demanding and unfriendly. Egotistical — and rather rude. Also, besides being the talkative type, as I mentioned before, you seem like you could possibly be very quiet sometimes and maybe even secretive. In addition, from what I have seen, you like being in command and have a leaderly vibe. Sort of." She paused a moment and let out a nervous laugh before continuing. "So, yes. Those are my observations about you so far, Master Sylus." Her arms remained across her front as her stare settled upon the young adult's face. "Oh, and um.. er.. you're quite handsome." She then gave a small self-conscious smile before averting her gaze.

Within her speech, his eyes had moved down to the floor. She'd got it spot on most of the way... but he was no leader... not really. Looking back up, he nodded and smiled weakly, his eyes not smiling with his mouth. "Interesting... thank you." Turning back to his work, he sighed and gestured to her with his back facing the door. "I'll allow you to get on with your evening now Miss Calex... it's been truly very interesting."

Maximum made the connection that his eyes did not show the smile his mouth was giving and assumed that she either offended him or said something wrong. "I'll make sure to prepare a room for the Lady," she replied as she stepped out the door. Looking over her shoulder she added, "Good night, master Sylus," before exiting the bedroom.

"You too, Miss Calex." Feeling the warmth of her body leave the room, he sighed and put down his tools. Looking at the candle that burnt beside his work, he ran his fingers through the flame many times before finally blowing it out. That is how he felt at that moment... like his life was constantly running through a bright flame that would eventually die out.

As she headed back down the corridor, Maximum couldn't help but think that she had hurt Sylus. How could she not? The look on his face had shown a blankness during and after her little prattle. Twirling a loose thread from her blouse around her index finger, she actually felt a bit guilty.

The next morning was something of a blur to him; he'd not spoken to a soul and somehow, a random human girl had managed to speak truth like he'd never heard before. He couldnt imagine she was much over twenty... maybe not even twenty just yet, and yet, even with her short existance, she was capable of summing up an immortals entire life thus far in just a few blunt, brutal and honest sentences. It was unnerving. He had to make a few changes... that he knew now. He was a vampire but to be something of worth in this life was something he had always thought he'd achieved. The truth was, he owned a few big houses, knew some very rich people and had a very old name. "Mrs Partridge, where is the young Miss Calex?" He had grabbed the older womans soft shoulder and knew as soon as she looked at him with scolding eyes that maybe the first thing for him to work on was his approach.

Looking at the young master with scolding eyes as his slender fingers bruised her soft skin, she scoffed and shook her head. "You should leave that lady alone young Master... I've no right telling you what to do but I will protect that girl. You play with her and expect a very swift hiding." She shook the duster in her hand at him and raised a brow.

Sighing, he had to credit the woman for her courage but he did find her slightly intervening. "Yes yes all that... now where is she?"

Giving in, the old woman pointed to the kitchen. "...In there. You want to talk to her? Peel some potatoes. She aint stopping her job... need dinner ready for Lady Georgettes pets." Walking away, she continued to dust.

Taking long strides towards the kitchen, he spotted her auburn hair straight away and smiled weakly. Taking off his jacket, he rolled up his sleeves and took no notice of the young maides who looked at him with fear as he parked his feet right beside Miss Calex. Taking a short knife, he looked at her sideways and began to do exactly what he was told; peeling potatoes wasnt all that bad.... just boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back