Viewpoint Unpopular Roleplay Opinions

Lots of genuine talent is wasted on roleplay forums. Like people with actual genuine talent and the ability to weave interesting narratives and amazing characters.

The bigger the group, the more likely the failure. 4-7 people, might have a really good, long rp. 12+ players usually ends in disaster.
Not always tho, just seen it happen a lot

I enjoy looking through code. Introductions, profiles, BBC, CSS, HTML, give me all that shit. I wanna mess with it until it breaks and spend an hour finding out that I deleted a bracket by accident I always feel like I learn something new in the process of fixing it. It's cool as hell seeing what magic people can do with nothing but letters and numbers. This website has actually inspired me to read up on CSS and see how it fits with BBC since it's not something I see on any other forum RP site.

I love the way everything fits in neat little boxes and tabs with a background that looks good whether you're on day or night mode. I love when people pick templates that reflect their character and add little things like outfits, mood, and location. But mostly, I love that fixes the issue of the post width being way too wide on my desktop.

Last edited:
The ethics of celebrity faceclaims--and their role in an RP--are heavily overblown. Roleplaying is (usually) like a 99% writing based experience. The fact that you happen to have a picture of someone's face at the top of a post barely matters except to give someone an idea of what the character looks like. Whether or not some celebrity would, if they had the RP shoved in their face, want to have their image associated with what the characters are doing seems like such a small issue that it doesn't matter. Basically, it's no different than writing smut fic of a real-life fandom.

Real person celebrity roleplay isn't a big deal to me for similar reasons. K-pop stars and boy band members are carefully choosing the image they want to convey when they're in interviews and public appearances. In a way they're also acting on some level; you're roleplaying the persona they project.

Lots of genuine talent is wasted on roleplay forums. Like people with actual genuine talent and the ability to weave interesting narratives and amazing characters.
Maybe, but I'm not entirely sure. I like to consider myself a talented writer; I've been doing it for a long time and absolutely love the written word, and have been told by many people that I'm gifted. (Not to toot my own horn lol, it's about all I'm good at!) I spend a lot of time crafting responses for my RPs, being sure to pay attention to word choice, symbolism, sentence structure and variety, character design, etc. -- writing truly is my passion. But I'm also an adult with a lot under my belt, and I don't really have the desire to turn my talent into something profitable. For me, role-playing with strangers online and sharing my stories and characters with even just a few people is more than enough, and I wouldn't consider that "wasted." But that's just me ^-^

Maybe, but I'm not entirely sure. I like to consider myself a talented writer; I've been doing it for a long time and absolutely love the written word, and have been told by many people that I'm gifted. (Not to toot my own horn lol, it's about all I'm good at!) I spend a lot of time crafting responses for my RPs, being sure to pay attention to word choice, symbolism, sentence structure and variety, character design, etc. -- writing truly is my passion. But I'm also an adult with a lot under my belt, and I don't really have the desire to turn my talent into something profitable. For me, role-playing with strangers online and sharing my stories and characters with even just a few people is more than enough, and I wouldn't consider that "wasted." But that's just me ^-^
Yeah, I second this. 'Wasted' implies that everyone who is a talented writer is obligated to do it for money.

I've got a couple of things published, but the most 'successful' I ever felt was when I was a B list author in a webseries fandom and hit #1 on the wattpad tag for my favorite ship once. For me I care more about knowing people are enjoying what I'm writing than whether or not I'm profiting off of it--and with fanfic there's a much smaller barrier to entry since you've already got a built in reason for people to want to read your stuff, and with roleplaying you're guaranteed an audience of at least one.

A.I-generated character art will overtake and replace the fan artist community within the next two to five years. This will occur across all visual mediums; tabletop, forums, and any games that allow custom character art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back