Viewpoint Unpopular roleplay opinions?

To get back on topic, I never got the idea of magic just being this narrow thing? Like don't get me wrong I will throw my keyboard through the computer screen if you give me that "It's fantasy so whatever goes." B.S. Um no. There have to be rules. But those rules don't have to be exactly the same every single time you tell a magical story.

Like again realistically why can't men be witches? Why do witches always have to mean the exact same thing in every story? I mean maybe if your doing fandom stuff than sure, you gotta stick to whatever rules the canon came up with.

But if your just making up a world why not get creative? I have witches whose power come from puns. I have witches whose power comes from nature. Or witches whose power come from magical animals (sort of like pokemon trainers).

It doesn't always have to be the same old same old. It's the beauty of fantasy. It can be whatever you want as long as it follows consistent rules within the universe.

Also side tangent - what even is medieval times? Seriously. I rebuke it. My witches are chilling out in modern times or in a world that has no concept of real world time periods.
Magic is more of a vibe than anything else. The best magic systems are open-ended but have a specific aesthetic going on.

Magic is more of a vibe than anything else. The best magic systems are open-ended but have a specific aesthetic going on.

I like there to be some structure but it doesn't have to be hyper detailed. As long as there is some kind of consistency I can usually go along with it. I just don't want you to vomit up nonsense and then tell me it's okay cuz "whatever fantasy." Bitch. no. If I said that magic can't bring people back from the dead than your ass ain't makin' no zombies. At least not with magic.

i dont think this is actually that unpopular and my very brief skim of recent posts leads me to believe that it's already been bought up and its more of a general literary issue but man i hate pretty much all tolkien and dungeons and dragons derived fantasy

This really a big pet peeve of mine but I hate it when people join Multifandom RPs as an OC with a face claim of an already established canon character. It’s like why not join as that character then?

i dont think this is actually that unpopular and my very brief skim of recent posts leads me to believe that it's already been bought up and its more of a general literary issue but man i hate pretty much all tolkien and dungeons and dragons derived fantasy
Dungeons and Dragons is actually a lot broader than most people on the site seem to realize, mostly because they're from the 'quirky podcast' side of the fandom.
There's at least ten settings with distinct lore and ideas and people water them down to the nth degree nowadays. It's the unintended consequence of turning D&D from this niche cartoon nerd thing into something hip and trendy.

If you ever want a list, I keep my finger firmly on that particular pulse.
I'll ask for that after I finish this pile of Moorcock books and singular Riverworld novel I found.
I miss being able to go out and scavenge for that kind of thing at used book stores.

This really a big pet peeve of mine but I hate it when people join Multifandom RPs as an OC with a face claim of an already established canon character. It’s like why not join as that character then?
I had it happen to me once and the person needed some talking out of using a certain character’s visage for his OC... Man, people can get really attached to characters they literally just made up to join a single RP.

Dungeons and Dragons is actually a lot broader than most people on the site seem to realize, mostly because they're from the 'quirky podcast' side of the fandom.
There's at least ten settings with distinct lore and ideas and people water them down to the nth degree nowadays. It's the unintended consequence of turning D&D from this niche cartoon nerd thing into something hip and trendy.
Dungeons and dragons derived, mind you. I havent played enough dnd to speak for the thing itself but whenever i go to play something with eight races and ive seen seven of them 50 times before that each excel at a different class that all live on a big dumb fantasy super continent and so on it better be real good or i go to sleep. im definitely being reductive here but uh sue me

D&D is now the Disney of TTRPGs; better, newer, more inventive RPGs exist and D&D takes up so much attention it's hard for other designers to become known.

I am not terribly bitter.

Dungeons and dragons derived, mind you. I havent played enough dnd to speak for the thing itself but whenever i go to play something with eight races and ive seen seven of them 50 times before that each excel at a different class that all live on a big dumb fantasy super continent and so on it better be real good or i go to sleep. im definitely being reductive here but uh sue me
D&D is now the Disney of TTRPGs; better, newer, more inventive RPGs exist and D&D takes up so much attention it's hard for other designers to become known.

Friendly reminder that elves are just spicy humans.
I hate face claims tbh
Join the club.

While ive found some fun lore in dnd in my small exposure i cant fucking stand the actual war game half of it. I've never had less fun torching a goblin horde alive. Its basically the whole reason i forum rp rather than finding tabletop stuff

While ive found some fun lore in dnd in my small exposure i cant fucking stand the actual war game half of it. I've never had less fun torching a goblin horde alive. Its basically the whole reason i forum rp rather than finding tabletop stuff

Some people like that about it, but I don't particularly. I endorse RPGs that have tighter, faster combat or more narrative mechanics.
Hell, my general philosophy is 'if a fight breaks out, someone will die - so everyone better be trying really hard not to let this get violent or be ready to murder someone in their sleep.'

Personally I find it kinda creepy to use stock photos if kids... but those aren’t the kinds of stock images that I’m referring to. Obviously can’t specify without naming names.
google image front page fc lmao

Some people like that about it, but I don't particularly. I endorse RPGs that have tighter, faster combat or more narrative mechanics.
Hell, my general philosophy is 'if a fight breaks out, someone will die - so everyone better be trying really hard not to let this get violent or be ready to murder someone in their sleep.'
The most fun i had in dnd was definitely finding ways use the skills like history knowledge and exploration based stuff. As well as using combat skills in general dungeoneering.

It’s not for no reason. It is for a very specific and very valid reason that ties into implicit bias. Now despite what people think, that’s not a bad word or an attack.

Implicit bias just means “The thoughts you didn’t realize you had.”

A good example of this is : I am a Latina woman. However I am also have a lily white complexion (mostly cuz I’m a hermit and hate going outside).

I live in a small town in the middle of Trump’s America. (Basically three generations of white peoples make up like 90% of the population).

So at my work I’m one of two women of color. The other woman works offsite though so I’m the only woman of color most of my coworkers see on a day to day basis. And again from a purely physical perspective I look white.

To the extent that my boss was reading a book where the main character has my last name and it took her until the end of the book to realize the person was Hispanic. Because the only person she knew with that last name (me) was “white”.

That is implicit bias. It wasn’t a conscious assumption she had. And once she actually thought about it she realized it was silly. Cuz my last name is hella Hispanic. But it was still one of those moments. Of oh wow you (meaning me) aren’t actually white are you?

So that is the danger in thinking that color and sexuality don’t matter when everyone is the same.

Because the REASON they don’t matter is because you have just defaulted everyone to a singular identity.

Which is why diversity is so important. Making everyone the same makes your world seem small.

And if your worried about making stereotypes, here’s the secret. Have more than one.

have more than one black person, have more than one gay person, have more than one dragon, etc.

Because when you add more diversity it makes everyone seem more human. Suddenly it’s not the one black ambassador to Caucasia. It’s oh here’s a group of black people who all have different upbringings, personalities, belief systems. And there are brown/white/Asian/etc people that are equally diverse.

As the more diversity you throw in the more you get back to the skin color not being a defining characteristic. It needs to be described because if everyone is a different skin color your gonna want your partner to be able to pick out your character in a crowd. But it becomes less of a “forced” attribute.

Outside of some fetishizing assholes, that’s all people are asking for. Make your world more diverse.
What I was trying to point out was forcing other to do stuff there character is rude... then it's not your character anymore I honesty don't care. Much more your long speech as it's the logic of seen used to suddenly rework old books and movies to make them "diverse"

I dodon't think diversity is all that important the good reasons for and against it don't really exist let people have there views and you have yours shoving your idea of how people should make there world's and character seems very controlling no?

It's probably an unpopular opinion for me to say that I think character sheets are unnecessary except to explain a character concept to the GM or in a 1x1 rp. They're fun to read sometimes, but I also find that people almost always deviate from them anyways when they write them really in depth. It would be neat to see more group rps that let players just straightforwardly engage in the rp without having to extensively define everything about their character beforehand.

What I was trying to point out was forcing other to do stuff there character is rude... then it's not your character anymore I honesty don't care. Much more your long speech as it's the logic of seen used to suddenly rework old books and movies to make them "diverse"

I dodon't think diversity is all that important the good reasons for and against it don't really exist let people have there views and you have yours shoving your idea of how people should make there world's and character seems very controlling no?
The mod already stepped in to tell us not to talk about this for now, friend. Maybe we should stop for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back