• Game of Throne: Sharp Blades, Sharp Words

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Star Wars Saga Edition: Old Enemies, New Hope

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lord of Chaos

Elder Member
Supporter
As two of my recent games have just successfully ended, I have decided to run a new game, starting sometime in early-mid January. However, I have not yet decided which campaign concept I want to run, so I've decided to put it up for vote. So here are four campaign ideas, along with a brief description of the mechanics.

PREMISE

The Second Day of Thunders has passed. Fu Leng is defeated, but not fully killed. The Thunders lost their lives in the attack, and the Emperor is dead. The war-ravaged Clans of Rokugan return to their lands and lick their wounds, eying each other but unwilling to make the first move. As a result, the throne remains empty. With no Emperor, there is none left to honor the promise to Yoritomo to make the Mantis a great Clan, and the others refuse to acknowledge his claim. Furious, the Mantis clan launches the first attacks of the coming war, raiding the coast of Rokugan.

The Scorpion clan, still disbanded and banished with no Emperor to restore them, secretly re-enters Rokugan and reclaims their settlements and forts under the guise of various Minor Clans. This does not last long, as Crab and Lion forces make a bid for the seemingly-defenseless Scorpion lands. In the North, a still-weak Lying Darkness begins to slowly corrupt the Dragon Clan. Unable to claim them all in a single swoop, a fracture appears amongst the families of the Dragon Clan, and an air of paranoia suffuses their mountain strongholds.

GAME FORMAT

The PCs will belong to one of the various coalitions vying for control of Rokugan. At most one non-coalition clan may be represented as outcasts. The PCs will be charged with defending a small border settlement against rival clans and other threats. XP rate will be increased from normal, as the PCs quickly become swept up in the larger war.

Coalitions: Phoenix-Crane; Mantis-Crab; Lion; Unicorn. Dragon is neutral due to dealing with internal corruption. Scorpion lacks any standing armies. Dragon and Scorption PCs may fight for any faction.

SYSTEM OVERVIEW

Legend of the Five Rings uses a roll and keep system. Rolls are presented as XkY, meaning that you roll X d10s and keep the highest Y. Reroll any results of 10 and add them to the original pool.

The game focuses on samurai in a fictional nation called Rokugan. It is largely based on Japan, with pieces of other cultures. Honor is an extremely important concept and is worth more than life itself. Combat is very lethal, and social engagements only slightly less so.

PREMISE

It has been a devastating winter, and the scent border has nearly failed entirely. Faith in the Guard is waning, and many of the towns are becoming more isolationist. An aging Gwendolyn seeks to restore the unity of the Territories before she must retire, and sends out the full strength of the Guard on carefully chosen missions. The brave mice of the Guard must walk the razor's edge between unity and chaos, survival and death. The Towns must be strengthened, the Scent Border re-established and strength restored.

Time is running short, however. The weasels of Darkheather have not forgotten their dreams of conquest, and a weakened Territories may not be able to stop them a second time.

GAME FORMAT

The game will take place over the span of three years, as the Guard is rebuilt and the territories strengthened. Success is not guaranteed, and you may be the last generation of the Mouse Guard.

SYSTEM OVERVIEW

Mouse Guard uses a basic die pool system. You roll a number of d6s, and gain a success for every 4 or higher. If the number of successes meets or exceeds the difficulty, the action works. However, you are playing as small mice in a big world and it is VERY difficult to succeed on your own. Teamwork is crucial, as even a simple pool of mud or hungry fox can spell doom for an entire patrol.

PREMISE

The targaryens still hold the Iron Throne, and the seven kingdoms are largely at peace. Somewhere in westeros, a minor house begins its bid for power while the plots of the mighty circle around them like impossibly huge gears. The stability the land has enjoyed for so long will soon vanish, and chaos will descend. However, as the ambition know, chaos is a ladder.

GAME FORMAT

The premise for this game is deliberately more open-ended, as this game is a much more freeform beast. The PCs will create a noble House and lead it to glory or ruin, as their wits and fate decree.

SYSTEM OVERVIEW

This game uses a similar roll and keep system as Legend of the Five Rings. However, instead of d10s, d6s are used and max results are not rerolled. The game is focused on the noble members of a House and their notable servants and assistants. It lends itself well to all forms of combat: social, regular and army.

PREMISE

The Empire and the Rebellion battle for control of the galaxy. Slowly but surely, the Empire is winning the war. The completion of the Death Star and the destruction of Alderaan are being seen by many as the death knell of the Rebellion. The rebels need an advantage, some way to turn the tide of the war. They begin seeking out the scattered survivors of the Jedi Order, the bare handful to escape the betrayal of Senator Palpatine.

These few Jedi have established a new hideout, and are training padawans for the first time in a generation. Even so, the Rebellion will need heroes aplenty if it is going to free the galaxy from Imperial control.

GAME FORMAT

The game will be focused on fighting the Empire as members of the rebellion. One or two jedi trainees will be allowed, but there are still very few force users in the Rebellion. PCs will be an elite commando force that serves to turn the tide of the war. NOTE: I do not know the expanded universe, so only the movies and the game book are considered canon. Luke etc. exist, but will not be enough to win the war this time.

SYSTEM OVERVIEW

Star Wars is a d20 game, comparable to a midway point between 3.5 and 4e D&D. It has a wide array of races and classes to choose from, and does not (appear) to suffer from the same caster supremacy that D&D does. Combat is heroic and not particularly lethal.

I would so be up for learning how to play L5R.

Is this intended to be a chat game or PbP?

Okay. I'd go with, in order of interest:

Very Yes: Legend of 5 Rings

Sounds cool: Game of Thrones

Eh, why not: Star Wars

Nope, not happenin': Mouse Guard

Orzhov and I from the options Kaza gave me on Skype for Thursdays.

Thursdays are our date night but we'd be willing to move it to the only other day we have free during the week since that day wasn't an option.

I personally vote for Star Wars.

I didn't vote for any of the others but if I had to go in order of preference

Star Wars > Mouse Guard > Game of Thrones > L5R(Only last because I've played before and I want to do something new, I actually like this system)

The poll has been deleted and re-added to allow for multiple votes and public viewing of who voted. Sorry for the inconvenience, please re-cast your votes

Recasted my vote.

L5R (yes, please!) -> Game of Thrones (sounds cool) -> -> -> -> -> Star Wars (if I have to)

I like all the concepts minus Mouse Guard. That game just has never appealed to me for some reason. Everything else I will gladly play.

SephirothSage said:
New Hope!
I do like.
Melissia said:
Okay. I'd go with, in order of interest:
Very Yes: Legend of 5 Rings

Sounds cool: Game of Thrones

Eh, why not: Star Wars

Nope, not happenin': Mouse Guard
[QUOTE="Paeniteo Azrael]I would totally play an L5R game. Also a Star Wars Saga game.

[/QUOTE]
Can you all make Thursdays?

Its the only day Orzhov and I have.

Yep, can make it thursday. Though I admit, I might end up taking Star Wars off my list, really depends entirely on chargen and if I can make something I like, because I'm not hugely enthusiastic about it.

I'm already involved in a game on Thursdays... Really it depends on time though. I'm free weekdays until 7:00PM, and I'm free Tuesday and Saturday all day. I could potentially do something on Sunday evenings (after 6:00PM).

@Lord of Chaos,

I think we should have tried to establish the day/time first. Because once it gets picked and some of us have to inevitably go due to not being able to make it, those that will get to play might have to play a game that was determined by people who were not even there.

Dunno, looks like L5R is almost universally liked, in this case? So we can probably do that at least.

I'm available on Wed, Thu, and Sat. Would prefer Wed or Thu, leaving Sat for family stuff.

I am free Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. However, a friend of mine is considering running a game on Sunday, so that's a last resort for me

[QUOTE="Lord of Chaos]I am free Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. However, a friend of mine is considering running a game on Sunday, so that's a last resort for me

[/QUOTE]
Weren't you in kaji's sunday mage game?

To clarify: I meant sunday starting at ~2PM Central, while the other days would start at ~6PM Central

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize for casting a vote. I saw the poll and answered before I realized this is a chat game likely headed for a weeknight. That won't work for me so I withdraw my vote. :)

Can't make it Tuesday starting in January, since my Tuesday game returns from its break after xmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back