News Unbiased news?

ValentineIllusion

Whoa what's a custom title-
Hi there! C:  I'm writing speeches for my debate class, and I was wondering if anyone knows any good, unbiased sources of information? Or at least any that have decently reliable information. I have to write about 5 speeches by the end of this week, and I'm worried that if I just start plugging questions into google, the information won't be true or I'll come out sounding too one sided ;;;

Unbiased news sources don't exist. Fox ain't bad as far mainstream goes, but still be careful. Breitbart will cover alot of topics and stories that other outlets won't. However, they often exaggerate things. 

It's best to browse the entire spectrum in order to best piece together the puzzle.

Unbiased news sources don't exist. Fox ain't bad as far mainstream goes, but still be careful. Breitbart will cover alot of topics and stories that other outlets won't. However, they often exaggerate things. 

Jesus fucking hell not Brietbart. They are the definition of biased news, not to mention being almost as bad as Infowars when it comes to publishing conspiracy theories.

I would suggest sites like the BBC and NPR. And honestly, the best news source is going directly to the source. Watch C-SPAN, read the actual court documents and government reports, stay away from sites like Buzzfeed and Brietbart and you should do fine. 

Depends what kind of topic.... politics wise.. that's not easy to actually get an unbiased view  .  The *best* for that would be C-span ( at the federal level )  . For your local politics ... the local newspaper ( yes that actually exists ) there's usually a section that covers town / state legislation , that wouldn't be biased .  I wouldn't really trust radio shows ( Such as Rush Limbaugh )  or TV shows such as ( Last Week Tonight , Late night with Seth Meyers, or any late night show tbh , O'Riley factor , etc ) . Those only serve to get an emotional response from the viewers  . Also the local news TV isn't biased in general , bland? yes , but in general isn't that biased yet.

In general , the more boring the news is , the more " accurate" its going to be . Aka it shouldn't have too many adjectives , it should just state plainly what happened without any opinions .  Its like the opposite of creative writing , you want to get to the point state XYZ without coloring it with adjectives or opinions. In some aspects one can say that its similar to technical writing .  In general if reading the news gets you riled up or emotional , then there's a good chance said news is " biased"  , in the way that there's adjectives or opinions injected into it to get more " readership "  .

Ever read a manual ?

Here's one if you haven't  :

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg245967.pdf  --- Its boring and dense and dry , but it tells the truth and doesn't get an emotional response from the reader.

The news should be like that if you want accurate reporting .  The sites\shows that do this ( AP / Reuters and a TV station, C-Span) usually aren't biased.

If your just talking about regular news I would go for :

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/fronts/US?SITE=AP

http://www.reuters.com/

I don't trust CNN/FOX/MSNBC/ Brietbart /Motherjones /Vox /or youtube channels ( since videos can be edited anyhow )  such as Alex Jones, etc. Nor would i trust site aggregators such as Facebook. Or relying on Twitter. Most of all STAY AWAY FROM OPINION PIECES .  News isn't an opinion .

That As/400 Manual from IBM , do note that there isn't an opinion in the manual stating that if your not using AS/400 your supporting the terrorists !  Or that As/400 is a racist Operating System . Much less are there any colorful adjectives . Its just dry as heck. Just what the news should be if you want the truth .

I wouldn't trust google or any other search engines  since there's an entire industry ( called SEO marketing ) based around trying to trick the google search engine to make it so that site XYZ can become a " high" ranked site. I know, because I've engaged in it before .

Also, I would correlate the said event across multiple sources if possible ( say reuters/ AP ) to see if it indeed is accurate/ correct, etc....

FYI an example of " world news " versus .... " tabloidTabloid versus news.png

Last edited by a moderator:
r/the_donald is pretty good.

Oh, Unbiased? It's all fucked, sorry Hoss.

There's no such thing as unbiased news.

If you want the absolute least amount of bias possible, if at all possible, try to go to where the news gets their information. 

Scholarly articles and court reports via Google Scholar are the best choice. Interviews with experts are good. Press releases are good. Government webpages have accurate information and stats (they'll have .gov in the URL).

At least, those are the only sort of thing my professors would have accepted. 

O_o

Honestly, I'd recommend a guy called Philip DeFranco. He runs a news channel on YouTube that deals in world news with celebrity and YouTube news scattered in-between

I feel that it is nearly impossible at least for mainstream news to be completely unbiased. In my opinion i feel the non-mainstream media outlets such as "Humanist report" and "The young turks" are very good in reporting fair and balanced.

Philip DeFranco on YouTube is my #1 source for non-traditional news. Otherwise, CBC is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back