• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Transsolar

After the first return, we will obtain the following upgrade:

• Hoverboard (fast horizontal travel; no height)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jetpack (able to scale high ledges; no flight)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Woods nodded. "I understand. In SIAD we never used ranks. We were all equals save for time spent in the team, so seniority was based on years instead of rank." Woods thought over his history with the teams for a few moments. "I would suppose the closest thing in rank, according to your standards, would be commander. But seeing as how you are the Captain I will take whatever rank you decide is fitting."

Adira nodded. "I was thinking Commander. People can't really argue with it, and you're technically second-highest ranking on the ship, under myself and a second-in-command. If I pick one. Also, here," Adira handed him a number of cards of varying sizes. "A master keycard for the ship. It'll get you into anywhere that's not under quarantine. That includes all crew and officer's quarters. You are the only one besides me who has one. There's also lists of pass-codes for the various systems aboard the ship. You have my communicator ID. One last thing." Adira took out her tablet and sent a file to him, then leaned back. "My military file. Only fair. I trust you to keep it private." Her medical, criminal, and personal profiles were still locked to him, but her record of work with Space Division was all there, patchy though it was. She didn't trust him, but she was to work with him, and she knew he wouldn't give information out. It would take time before she fully trusted him past just what was needed for working.

Last edited by a moderator:
3487/11/04 10:34:21 SST

"Tower to Echo 583, runway free. Clearance for vertical take-off" Saami heard the voice clearly in his head as he was directly connected to the fighter plane's communication systems through his audio implants. This way he would not miss any words due to the external sounds of flying.

"Echo 583 to Tower, now taking off." The now had to be taken literally, because he had been waiting quite a while to be allowed to start his exercise. Immediately he started the routine, the sound of plane engines firing up and that feeling of a metal machine slowly coming loose from the ground unlike any other. For a few moments it looked like it was slowly hovering off, but appearances could be treacherous. Suddenly the nose of the jet moved up, and immediately he cranked the speed up. It was as if the metal had suddenly been freed from those bothersome restraints of gravity and resistance, and as the plane shot up vertically with magnificent speeds he couldn't help but grin. So what that he couldn't lift a car... he could tip over a can with an F-46.

Now there was a slight problem with his position on the runway facing the opposite direction of where he wanted to go, though this was easily fixed. At the right height he manoeuvred the plane so that it was perfectly vertical, then at the same time he shut down the engines he tipped the nose over the critical point. While the plane started the fall backwards and downwards, the circuits in his eyes started glowing a bright blue.

Visual systems enhanced, high energy reaction time now activated

It wasn't that time slowed down, it was more that everything slowed down to him. This wasn't a trick he could pull off long or often though, the stress on his brain being significant, he'd develop a serious headache if not something worse. But a few seconds during training he could live with, and it was too much fun to not use it every once in a while. Once the plane reached the exact right point he fired up the engines to maximum, seeing the world outside move forward again, albeit upside down. When he reached the ideal speed he tipped the wings of the plane over, doing a half barrel roll to get oriented correctly again. The blue glow fading from his eyes at that point.

Visual systems shut down, reaction time returning to normal

Of course he could have just turned around, but where was the fun in that?

Woods checked his tablet, nodding when he found the file before storing it in his database. "I can guarantee it won't be circulated around." He tapped his tablet before continuing. "I got this back in SIAD. They are non traceable and all but hack proof. If someone does manage to hack into it the database is programmed to scramble itself, back up the files to my personal account, and perform a system wipe within a minute or less. Needless to say, your information is safe with me."

Vincent took off his uniform hat and set it on the table before running his hand through his hair. He wasn't sure how he felt about Adira. She seemed like an excellent Captain despite her shady past, but then again his was probably worse. "Is there anything else, or do you want to go into the security plans?"

"Actually... now that I think of it, there is something." She glanced at him searchingly for a few seconds, her smile gone. "If, for some reason, I'm unable to report for duty, be it injury, disease, death, would you be willing to fill in for me until I have an acting second in command? I mean, how long can you go without sleep with your enhancements and everything?"

"Two weeks guaranteed in combat. More than that if the stress level is lower. As long as I have water and some food I can last for a while." Vincent looked at Adira with some concern. "Is there something I need to be aware of?" He shook his head after he said that. "Sorry, I'm used to being back in the teams. If you don't want to share anything personal that is fine."

Concern? Good, he's not a heartless soldier. He'll consider multiple aspects and different wishes before acting. Perfect. She thought for a few moments, then shook her head. "It's fine that you ask, it's simply... I just want to be able to get as many of the crew possible home at the end of this. Or at least keep us all alive as long as possible. If anything happens to me and I don't have a good sub? There may be problems, and then it'd be my fault for not doing something beforehand." That was all true, however, she did have a reason for being concerned that she'd have to skip days. But she'd been fine for a while, so hopefully nothing would go wrong and this conversation would be unnecessary.

"Understandable." Vincent tapped the table slightly, almost as if he were waiting for something else to be said before he continued. "Anything else?"

Adira shook her head. Everything straight and in order, it seemed. He had her file; he could read up on how she'd hitchiked her way to Captain, then had her own ship. She knew that everything was set if something happened. Ranks were in order. Seemed like everythign was fine, except for the slight nagging in the back of her head; but she could ignore that. "All I can think of is suggesting you check personnel's medical history, if it's applicable. I'll probably end up contacting you again as the time draws near, but that's all for the moment. Want to look over those security plans now?"

3487/11/04 10:34:46 SST

Adira leaned against the wall while she waited for Saami. Tracking him down hadn't been hard, she had full clearance to any and all bases in the area as a Captain. She'd been there when he took off, but wanted to let him have some fun. Why else would he be flying. She was positioned so that he'd see her right when he landed. She had her tablet in her hand as she waited.

3487/11/04 13:05:34

"Echo 583 to Tower, requesting permission to land. Repeat, requesting permission to land." Saami's voice showed not a single trace of the enjoyment and happiness in his eyes, and the two might as well have belonged to two different people. But then again, they probably did. Soon he'd be on the ground again, tied and bound to rules and laws, equal a machine to the plane he was flying.

"Tower to Echo 583, you are in the clear. Permission to land granted." With those words said his face grew distant and dull again, his eyes devoid of emotion. As he did so he decided to turn the plane back into a more decent position, as it was hard to land while hovering vertically a few yards above desert ground. He'd tried to see how long he could stay in one place while waiting for his clearance, and it turned out to be quite a few minutes.

The fighter plane landed on the runway in a very boring, horizontal approach, nearly insulting to the capacities of the little miracle of engineering. It was the standard though, and he'd probably already taken risks with the backflip stunt earlier. Maybe he could blame it on his system taking the absolute shortest route possible. For now he had to get out of the plane though, and as he undid the tubes on his mask that kept the air pressure in his lungs decent, a message popped up saying a navigator had arrived. He'd get to it once he was walking to the bay, it didn't seem to be urgent.

As he was reading the message and walking, he only noticed the captain's face relatively late. She looked like she had stood there for a while.

"Ma'am, from your body language I am assuming you require to speak to me." He saluted her as he got closer, his form ever perfect and static.

Adira moved to attention and saluted him back, then leaned against the wall again. She put her tablet inside of her coat and looked up at him with a smile. "Require's not quite the correct word, I think. May I ask why you went flying just now? I saw your take off. Interesting way to turn about, I must admit."More and more, the little INANES was proving her suspicion correct.

Saami stared at her blankly, but in his head he was frantically trying to find a way out of her questions. The longer he stayed with the captain the more he could see why the military would appreciate INANES over real humans.

"As head pilot it is of importance to know the full capacity of my skills. My manoeuvre was simply because it took the least time." Of course she wouldn't believe that, but he was saying it for prying ears. Honestly he doubted she believed anything he said, and if anything she already had her mind set on breaking him through questions. This was where his favourite question came in. Why? What was her intend to do with him if she did find whatever it was she expected?

Adira smiled knowingly. "M-hm. I can see that. It was quite well done, I must say. However, I did come here to speak to you about Lullaby. I need to give you these pass-codes first, for all navigation control." She handed him a few cards with the codes he needed to memorize. "Also, you don't have a rank. Which will cause issues with the security systems at times. You're now a Lieutenant Commander. How's that sound? Too low?" His reaction to this question was going to be important; proper protocol said he'd have no rank. But she was his Captain. What would he do?

This woman would be the death of him, she could at least wait with tearing him down until they were in deep space. It was too dangerous here, one big slip up and he'd be exterminated so thoroughly even his atoms couldn't be used anymore. The military did not like faulty INANES, especially when they started asking questions. So he just stared at her with his head turned.

"Instructions unclear ma'am. Please try rewording, if you suspect a bug ask at a later time after a scheduled restart." At a later time, he ever so slightly raised the corners of his mouth at those words. Hopefully she would get the hint, it was impossible for him to accept here and now surrounded by military. Unless she had decided that an INANES navigator wasn't a good idea and she wanted him killed, he couldn't quite see why she tried to break him right in this place.

Adira smiled again and glanced around. A few people had showed up, but there weren't many. Then again, she could understand being scared of being overheard very well. "Well, alright then. Is fifteen minutes alright for a restart? I'll be in the meeting room 105, down hall A in this base. I'm sure you know that, though." Adira nodded slightly and turned around and left. As she walked to the room, one of the other officers stopped her. "Why were you smiling when you were talking to that INANES? He do something odd?" Adira shook her head and walked away, saying over her shoulder, "Nah, he's just funny. Hell of a lot funnier than you." She wasn't about to let her head navigator get into trouble.

Saami nodded affirmatively, realising she wasn't going to give up on this easily.

"Yes ma'am. Appointment noted, 0 conflicts found." When she left he saluted again, afterwards returning to reading and answering the message from his fellow navigator.

A little while later he met her in the meeting room, quietly pulling up information on security so he could check for cameras and other devices. None. That was a relief, because whatever the captain wanted to talk about he doubted it would be with any less intend of breaking his rules.

Adira smiled as he walked in. "No security in here, I checked that last time I was at this base. So, what do you say to being a Lieutenant Commander? You have to have some kind of rank. If you can argue for a better position, I'm even willing to give you Commander, if you can prove that you deserve it." She leaned back in the large, leather chair. He could mark her down as crazy if he wanted, she didn't care. It had happened once before, and she'd promised to get a psych evaluation - before she had smacked the impudent dignitary who'd been on her ship and had the gall to say that. Calling her crazy for defending a crewmen he'd harassed? That wasn't going to fly on her ship. Not when he'd gone after Trilli - she was too small to defend herself. "By the way, you know you can respond as you want. You're free to say whatever you like in my company, no formalities." She had a hatred for restrictions. Laws were okay, rules were fine, but restrictions on forms of expression or the like? No way would that fly.

An Alien among Aliens

The past few weeks had been troubling ones for the tall N'thagn scientist. Though he had accepted the mission, he couldn't help but feel that he was somehow abandoning his own mission, his own race. For two-hundred and thirty nine years all he'd known was the metal casing of the N'thagn research cell, being brought samples of alien material from alien worlds by the scavenger teams, everything he'd done was so routine until two years ago when he'd been forced to return several very important human test subjects- he'd never seen them though they had been sent to N'thagn Nu in cell 7. But when the Matriarch chose him to go and return them to the human's, he felt as if one of his two hearts had stopped, nothing could be more terrifying! More enthralling! Dr. Lauren Lorenzo was one of the most interesting personalities he'd ever met in the GALAXY. He'd thought he'd found a life-mate at her first word, but knew that he had a true duty to his people. He didn't even develop a Cosmic Presence for someone he was so sure was his soul mate. This is what confused him, he knew then what his goal in life was, why had his judgement failed him this time? Why was he HERE?!

He was in a small automated transit vessel for the N'thagn, a box of a ship that contained a sleeping unit and several months worth of edible nutrient paste. Anu had spent the past few weeks alone in this vessel, utilizing it's computer system to research the human biology, the chemistry of their bodies, what would make them tick! He had never even spent more than a few minutes with a human and probably knew more about their bodies than most humans did! Though he was used to solidation in his research cell aboard the N'thagn ship, he was overjoyed to hear the alarm initiate that indicated that the vessel was within short-range teleportation range. The Transit vessel took up an orbit around the planet designated; 7-2798-QZ-009-37 a human settlement had been established there, though the name was confusing to Anu. It wasn't designated under any N'thagn numerical code system, it was a combination of two human words; "Arid Harbor".

The transit vessel awaited Anu's initialization, the scientist paced around the ship as if looking for belongings when he knew plain and well what he was assigned to take from the transit vessel. Something was wrong! What was this anxiety, this fear?! N'thagn didn't wear traditional clothing but did carry hovering storage units that locked into their DNA. Anu took three of these units, each about the size of a tackle box and stocked them with nutrient paste- enough to last not 3 months. Hopefully the humans would have the necessary facilities to create more. As a precaution, Anu was assigned several covert surveillance units that he was ordered to place around the human vessel; Lullaby to better understand their technology and military tribune. He also carried a holo-blade, a hovering plate roughly the size of a belt buckle that could extend into a 4ft distortion blade a weapon capable of vibrating molecules in order to induce the sensation of burning without actually harming the individual. As a LAST RESORT he was issued a Chemical destabilizer, plate that hovered above his shoulder that could fire projectiles that when impacting an object, will break apart their chemical bonds and cause a miniature explosion of... whatever the unfortunate victim was made of.

Stepping onto the platform, Anu initialized the teleporter and instantaneously he was disassembled on the transit vessel and reassembled in a clear courtyard of Arid Harbor. The first thing to shock N'thagn was the sun, it beat on him as though he was on fire. Thankfully the radiation emitted could be manipulated by his Psychokinesis and he wouldn't be adversely effected by the horrid thing. Next was the overwhelming crowds, never before in his life had he seen so many beings, N'thagn or no! His hearts raced and he instantly went to discharge the distortion blade, but stopped himself as he evaluated the situation.

Calm yourself... They don't seem to mind... don't seem to notice... Oh no! That one looked! THAT ONE IS DANGEROUS... Nevermind he's merely curious of my skin...

Thoughts raced through his head before he began to walk through the Arid Harbor, nervously tapping his fingers together as he soaked in the sights and sounds, the merchants the people. He hadn't been given much on his point of contact, but he remembered her face, remembered her designation. 217-80009-0104... Captain Adira Rik...

N'thagn Anu read the signs, thankfully he'd been given an English dictionary and he could read what some of the signs said. Eventually he found his way towards a base and haphazardly tried to climb the fence only to alert the security...

Saami walked in the meeting room and sat down on a chair. He watched her as she spoke about talking freely without restrictions, and it was fairly clear she had already made up her mind that he wouldn't leave this room without some degree of a yes. Though he was sure she'd just love a confirmation of her own theories. So why not give her one then?

"And then tell me why Miss Adira Rik, you think it is me that has to accept such a rank?" Despite not being able to be spied on, he spoke softly, as if he was committing a heinous crime. Yet his eyes were big more with wonder than fear, proving he had asked the question himself. Though most interesting would be the innocent little smile on his face as he finished talking, clearly knowing what he had just done yet still pleased with himself. The best way to save a mask someone was trying to break, would be simply putting it away safely, at least for the time being. Curiosity could only be quelled by answers, and right now he controlled all means to answers.

Who would believe such a person whose intents were so clearly for her own moral gratifications, that an INANES had spoken intelligent thought anyway? Seemed a conspiracy theory at best, a sign of utter madness at the worst.

Adira looked at him with a smile, before simply saying, "I think you've earned it. And you're to be head navigator, so it'll help. I don't want any of the crew giving you trouble about being unranked, or an INANES. I hate pulling rank, God, I hate when people pull rank, but sometimes it's necessary, and now you can. But I know that rank comes with responsibility. You may get in trouble, though of course I'll take blame. It's your choice, you never have to accept a promotion. But it's easier for me to protect you if I can just say your rank and the like. And if they don't listen, well... there's ways to deal with that." So she was right. Now she knew, she'd be certain to protect his rights as a crewman and as a person. Now that she knew, she could make sure he knew he was okay, and he was safe. She had such a built-up hatred for seeing anyone scared or hiding things out of fear, she couldn't have stopped herself, even if she'd been proven wrong. Seeing his child-like smile was worth it. "The marvelous thing about space travel, is that there's no real rules. If the Captain protects you, you're fine. And nobody's allowed to mess with you on my ship."

Saami smiled at her words, and perhaps the idea that she could protect him with things being allowed and not allowed. It was oddly naive for a person about to get send in a place without rules.

"Being not allowed to, and not doing are two different things. If those rules worked none of these words would have been said. Still, now I am breaking rules anyway, why not? Lieutenant Commander sounds fancy enough, and besides poor mindless robotic Saami couldn't possibly have anything to do with it, now could he?" As he finished his sentence he put a finger against his lips and his innocent smile grew into a devilish smirk. He was too far into the rabbit hole now, best way to win here was to befriend the rabbit.

Adira laughed, not at him but with him. "If we're terribly honest, I understand the not allowed and not doing far, far too well. What I'm saying is, don't hide when you're on the Lullaby. You can laugh, you can joke, you can smile, and if anyone gives you trouble, I will deal with them. You're allowed to be free to do as you please with absolutely no repercussions. I mean, within reason, you can't kill someone. You have the same rights as every crewman." Her smile faded slightly. "But I didn't ask to speak with you just for that reason. If something goes wrong, or I can't show for duty, Woods will take my place until I pick someone else. I need you to work with him if that happens. I need you to lead the navigation department. And - and I need to ask you a favor. The instant we're allowed out of stasis, please let me out. It's customary to wait a while, I'm aware, but I'd rather be on top of things. Call me a control freak." That was a reason.

Saami leaned back and thought about her words. It was easy from her perspective to say those things, but he couldn't help but feel all she was doing was projecting her own morals onto him.

"I appreciate your sentiment Miss Adira, but you have to know that I have the right to hide too. You speak of me like I asked to be allowed to laugh and express myself, while in reality it is you having the idea that I should. Or moreso that I should want to do that. May I suggest you first get to know me, and then talk as if you know what I want?

As for working with Woods in case it is needed I see no reason not to. It isn't in my nature to endanger anyone over petty feuds and emotions. I can also let you out of the stasis pod earlier, the ship will be on automatic pilot after warp, all I ask of you in return, is to allow me to pretend to be mindless a little longer. Just until I know what the consequences are." From what he could tell the captain seemed to have her own strong idea of what everyone should want, and he wondered if she had ever ought it possible he wouldn't automatically want the same. Of course if he had the fair choice, without consequences, then he'd choose to be free. Right now, the only way freedom led was death, and he'd rather live a robot than die a free man. The last seemed so pointless, he'd die anyway with time, if he wanted death he could just as well wait for it and do something useful in that time. Save a few lives, research a few important things, then maybe instead he could die a happy person.

Adira shrugged. "I've never met someone who didn't want to express themselves before. I wasn't projecting on you - if that's really what you're thinking. I thought I was helping you. I'm sorry if I wasn't, or if I insulted you. You do have the right to hide, I never said you didn't - all I said was you can express yourself as you please." She leaned back in her chair and sighed. He had the wrong idea of her already. At least her last crew had understood her fairly well. That had taken time, though. They'd been like a family. "You have to realize, I want my crew as comfortable as possible around each other and with their work. I know what it's like to not be allowed to speak freely, to act freely. I never want to put anyone in that situation, ever.... I'm not going to tell anyone anything you don't want me to tell. With Woods, I was only asking that you be prepared to have to work with him...I don't think he understands navigation like I do, maybe he does, I don't know... just... in case... something... happens."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back