Too much

ONI

"Always Vigilant."
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
I understand that people like anime, but, so far i'm seeing a little too much anime and it sort of discourages me, i'll see a pretty cool RP that i feel like joining, read the overview of it and like the idea, but, when i go to create a character and all i see is Anime characters that look like they're about 12 years old or i see a character that is dressed like a German soldier, i see his face, he's an animated character with some sort of emo hairstyle and it just doesn't fit with the setting especially when put under "Realistic/Modern" i'd sort of expect... fleshy skin people. or i see an RP with a good set up and then when i go to look at the character sheet and i scroll down, basically every single character is a goth/emo, i mean not to hate on goths or emos, but, why does a Soldier within the Armed forces look like an undisciplined school boy?

I then end up feeling like this

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the reasons why people tend to use anime images as references for their character's appearance is their abundance, and accessibility. There are tons of them out there, and one could easily find a suitable picture by simply typing a few words, and having a little bit of patience.

Sure, they may seem inappropriate in certain kinds of rp, but hey, that's the user's preference. We can't force them to change that, well, that is unless you are the GM and you've clearly stated that using such images would not suffice and most importantly, would be prohibited. The easiest, and safest solutions to your problem here would be to either get used to it, or simply leave the rp, that way, you'll never have to see their shiny and sparkly looks again.

Lmao, when I see the number of anime pics being used as references, I was afraid to use real-life human pics as references thinking that I might not be going with the norm as well. But, its all good. Anime has a huge number of pics that suits many people roleplay interest and stuff.

I used to be on a site that only allowed real-life celebrity pictures for characters, and you know what I learned? That there are exponentially more anime characters that look like what I want than there are actors or actresses.

Reinhardt has the right of it, though. It's far far easier to find an anime character that looks closest to how you mentally picture the character. Things can get a little weird sometimes when you have a 12 year old girl driving a tank in serious war game, but these are usually outliers or because you're supposed to look at the picture in a more abstract sense.

JayTee said:
I used to be on a site that only allowed real-life celebrity pictures for characters, and you know what I learned? That there are exponentially more anime characters that look like what I want than there are actors or actresses.
Reinhardt has the right of it, though. It's far far easier to find an anime character that looks closest to how you mentally picture the character. Things can get a little weird sometimes when you have a 12 year old girl driving a tank in serious war game, but these are usually outliers or because you're supposed to look at the picture in a more abstract sense.
Perhaps, I'll get used to using anime pics one day. As for now, I keep using real-life pics like a major scrub ahaha.

Pft, you ain't a scrub for using real life pics. If the image fits what you want the character to look like, go for it. Only insecure losers will judge you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back