Advice/Help To plot, or not to plot

SodaToast

Toastosterone
It's been a while since I've done any roleplaying but, with all the quarantine stuff going down, I thought that now would be a great time to get back into it.

I've been working on a dystopian, powered fantasy/sci-fi roleplay idea for a while now and while I have managed to flesh out the worldbuilding bit by bit over time, I'm stuck on how to approach the plot. I've come up with some basic ideas, but most of them feel more like "story plots" than "roleplay plots" to me at the moment. What I mean is that, for them to go as planned, certain things have to happen in a specific way. As interesting as some of the plots seem to me, I'm worried that I will run into the issue of either it completely controlling the direction of the roleplay or that things will simply end up going in a different direction and the whole idea will be wasted.

How do you guys work around this problem? I want to avoid "railroading" (a term I've heard here) as much as I can, yet I've also received advice that roleplays without a plot are easy to fall apart. There must be a middle ground out there, but I can't seem to see it.

sos

also, if anybody interested in co-gming or just curious then hmu with a dm. <3

I guess that the best way to settle that out is to explain the basic plot line to your roleplay partner(s) and tell them that, for the sake of plot development, certain things need to happen in a specific way, explaining what are those things and how they must go.
Nornally, when roleplaying, I make sure to tell my roleplayer partner the key aspects of the plot I created. We often discuss together if such plot points are fine for both of us, and we might even change them, if we don't agree something is fine.
There are times in which plot twists happen, but we make sure to speak with eachother and settle them down if they are going to happen.
Communication is key :)

I really like the idea of being more open with the players about the plot! Though it pains me to reveal the plot twists, it makes sense to maintain good communication throughout the rp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back