To Hell and Back [searching for soldiers and nurses]

M O N K E Y

Meta-Magic Eight Ball
wallpaper.png
"The uniform that you wear, the globe-and-anchor emblem that you have earned will make the difference between the freedom of the world and its enslavement. December 7th was quite a day in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. On the same day, December 8th on the other side of the International Dateline, in places called Guam, Wake, the Malay Peninsula, Hong Kong and the Philippine Islands were also attacked by the army, air force and navy of the Empire of Japan. The Japanese are in the process of taking half of the world and they mean to keep it with death from the air, land and sea. However, here is what the Japs are not expecting: the United States Marine Corps.
Never mind Europe - the Nazis, Mussolini. Hitler is not going to be our job, not until they can't whip him without us of course. The Pacific will be our theater of war. The Marines will do battle with the Japs on tiny specks of turf that we have never heard of.
You young fellas, you are the sinew and the muscle of the corps. The orders come from the brass and you get it done. Whenever this war is over, when we have swept upon the main islands of Japan and destroyed every scrap of that empire, the strategy will have been that of others. The victory will have been won by you - with the chevrons on your sleeves, the instincts in your guts and the blood on your boots.
To those of you who are lucky enough to get home for Christmas, hold your loved ones dearly, join them in prayers for peace on earth and goodwill toward all men.
Then report back here, ready to sail across God's vast ocean where we will meet our enemy and kill them all.

Merry Christmas, happy 1942."
Those are the words of the United States Marine Corps Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller a few hours before the 7th Paramarine Division ship out.

In pre-war America during 1940, calls went out for unmarried Marine volunteers for a specialized unit to be dropped from planes. From the start, it was made clear that they would not be similar to Army paratroopers; rather, they would be more of an elite unit for unique and risky tasks similar to what the United States Army Rangers would later perform in Europe.
With the promise of much better pay, more intensive training and a certain prestige, there was no shortage of volunteers. Once they formed up and begin training in New Jersey in August, it was immediately clear that they had signed up for a 16-week living hell of physical and mental hardship beyond what most could imagine.
In addition to jumping out of planes, they were worked and hounded beyond exhaustion, pushed beyond known human limits to be rewarded with even more. For this, 40% of the volunteers dropped from the course before completing it. Those who did manage to stand on the parade ground had wings pinned on their chests and became part of the 7th Paramarine Division.

This will be a roleplay set during the Second World War in the Pacific theater. I will try to keep it as realistic as possible and focus on the bond between the men. It will not be a roleplay where we are on the frontline all of the time and killing Japs. In my head, it's like a mixture of the TV-series Band of Brothers and The Pacific. If you've seen any of the series, you get a golden star.
We'll start the roleplay on the 1st of August 1940, where we all meet at the Marine Paratrooper training.
Thank you for reading and I hope you like the idea!

You can join as either a soldier in the squad - nine roles currently open for reservation - or you can join as a nurse. I need you to read through the rules before you reserve a spot.

MAIN | OOC | RULES | ROLES | CHARACTER SHEET

Last edited:
Question. What are the nurses for? A nurse wouldn't historically be stationed with a specific unit.

The nurses aren't a high priority, more like a fun extra thing. I haven't really given it a thought. Maybe at a field hospital or something like that? I'm not even sure if the whole nurse thing is a go yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back