Tips on building a ranger?

Nightdawn

OK, I'm pretty new at Exalted, and so are my players.  Our last game was a martial arts fest that ended pretty badly, so one of my players decided to build himself a ranger, a la Lookshy.  Can anybody offer some tips on good charms, good equipment(artifact or otherwise; so far his only definite choice is an Infinite Weapon), and some general tips on how to play it(this is a guy who's idea of immersive roleplay is playing Zanza from Kenshin, lol)?

Well, if you are allowing it, I would recomend a Lunar.  They do not have the same level of raw firepower that a Solar has, but, imo, they make up for it with their shapeshifting powers and Wild immunity.  Since combat is remarkably deadly, taking the Deadly Beastform Transformation Charm is a big equalizer in any fight.  

Well, there's my two cents.

Finally! Someone who sees Lunars for their shapeshifting and stealth capabilities! I was wondering when someone would. At least around here, no one ever sees that, ever. It's terrible. But it is a good idea for a character!

The thing that really annoys me about the Lunar charm trees (Or, well, *one* of the things that really annoys me about the Lunar charm trees) is that vast numbers of their charms are completely redundant. For instance, you can pay a huge amount of xp for a charm that lets you squeeze through small gaps.... or you can catch and eat a mouse.

Lunars are not the most veritile exalted out there. If the player wants a character that can do things OUTSIDE of combat, being something other than Lunar might be best. (I admit, they can be cool character and are not limited strickly to combat, but that's where the majority of their strength is.) And if he's from Lookshy, being a DB or Solar is p'rolly best.

Having a Survival of atleast 2. (3 or more if he's the really outdoorsy type of ranger.) Endurance and Resistance are also something I would recomend having. Decent awareness and investigation are also a good idea. Craft is handy for making animal traps and snares (or Larceny) , as well as making good animal hides. Stealth is a must for sneaking up on prey if he's the hunting type of ranger. Ranged and Melee training would be recomended too. hmmm... If he is an exalt, I would hope he has quite a few survival charms. For a solar I would prefer something like 3 (but that's just me. I'm picky.)

As for RP tips, it would all depend upon backstory. Where someone came from and what kind of life they used to have is a big factor on how they react to the world now. In each of the core books there is a small area of the Character creation, usually just before the cheatsheet, with several questions that are suppose to help a player refine his character. I would greatly recomed that for your player since he's new. It has a series of simple questions in there like "What's your character's name? When did he/she exalt? Where did he/she exalt, and how did it effect him/her?" stuff like that. It helps to build backstory.

Finally! Someone who sees Lunars for their shapeshifting and stealth capabilities! I was wondering when someone would. At least around here' date=' no one ever sees that, ever. It's terrible. But it is a good idea for a character![/quote']
Hey!

I see lunars for shapeshifting and stealth.

I believe I was a great proponent of Lunars in the the Chejop vs Leviathan debate that raged - and the fact that it's vaguely acceptable now for Lunars to Oath and Glamour Sorcery themselves to the gills...well, it's just way cool.

The speedbump charms are annoying, as are the lack of length to the charm trees. Still, a well-run lunar (especially a Changing Moon) is a menace to society that cannot be ignored.

Add to that the ability to pop staff- and cup-shaping actions whilst remaining immune to Mutations...well...

I'm predicting that many people who are undervaluing Lunars haven't got Fair Folk. After reading that book I'm no longer so afraid if Siderials ruining my campaign. Burgstrom be damned, the concepts behind the systems for Fair Folk are funky - if a little clunky. That lunars can share that...well...

He's a Solar, Night Caste.  He's from the South, his father was a member of the Wyld Hunt, he exalted while squiring his father against a Midnight Caste Abyssal named Joke of the Neverborn.  He fled and has hid in the wilderness for almost a year, having found a Manse in a plateau, he was found by a Gold Faction Sidereal(not Cult, just Gold Faction), and has slowly come around to the fact that he's not a horrific demon from beyond the Shadowlands. :)  He found his ancient Infinite Weapon, Golden Array of Elegance, in what was once his bedroom, where he'd hidden it before the Dragon-Bloods came for him during the Usurpation(he'd broken free of the Curse for a few brief shining days, and been horrified at the degradation around him in his brethren, and chose to allow himself to die rather than sink into the throes of his curse again).  The Hearthstone of his Manse is mounted in the handle of the Golden Array, it allows him to hover a fraction of an inch above the ground, thus leaving no footprints.

You may want to check out Castebook: Night, as it has some charms for two-weapon fighting that actually make it worthwhile.

If you're using Power Combat, one of the charms is pretty much superceded (it does something nasty with Rate - I can't remember and don't have it on hand).

I'd definitely suggest the Solar Survival tree for animals companions and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back