• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Timezones

Jaye

ミㅇㅅㅇ彡
So this recently came up between @Pine & I in a thread.

Basically: In addition to 'Location' it would be really useful if there was a section where we could fill out our timezone. (I would prefer it be a compulsory section, as I find knowing other's timezones to be incredibly useful, but I understand why it might not be compulsory).

Location is nice and all, but some people are understandably wary about giving out their location so freely on the internet. Other's like to list a 'joke' location or list a part of RPN where they most hang out. (Ie. Listing one's location as 'Narnia' or as 'InTheShoutbox').

Timezones would be a nice, quick way to know when one can expect others to be around and roleplaying and to know what time it means when someone says "tomorrow" (I can't tell you the amount of times that someone's said "On Friday" and, of course, nothing happened until it was midday on Saturday for me.)

I was thinking it would be in the sidebar (under the avatar+username) and/or in the pop-up miniprofile (uh.... this thing).

I'm not sure if XenForo actually allows for this addition (like how I understand XenForo won't put nonbinary as one's gender in the miniprofile) but I think it would be good to explore this idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting idea, though we would never make users fill in their time zones as it infringes on the privacy to their identity. Sure, the central time zone is a HUGE expanse of land, but we never force users to display personal information, especially information regarding whereabouts.

I personally have not run into this issue at all. Even if I'm in the central time zone, I work second/third shift, so my timezone means nothing to most people. Usually, I just ask my roleplay partners when they're most likely to be online. Bada-boom-bada-bing, that solves my issue.

I think it would be nice to have as an option. Users are not obligated to fill out a specific location in their personal details, and since a time zone is a little less specific, other users may enjoy at least knowing the availability of their roleplaying partners. (^.^) I wouldn't see how it would be absolutely mandatory for everyone to display their timezone if they don't need to display location, age, or gender!

Musician said:
I think it would be nice to have as an option. Users are not obligated to fill out a specific location in their personal details, and since a time zone is a little less specific, other users may enjoy at least knowing the availability of their roleplaying partners. (^.^) I wouldn't see how it would be absolutely mandatory for everyone to display their timezone if they don't need to display location, age, or gender!
I could agree with this. If it wasn't mandatory. Funny enough, there is an option for you to fill out your timezone in "preferences" though it isn't made public anywhere. Whether that is possible, I'm not sure.

Mordecai said:
I could agree with this. If it wasn't mandatory. Funny enough, there is an option for you to fill out your timezone in "preferences" though it isn't made public anywhere. Whether that is possible, I'm not sure.
Just gonna' pop in here real quick and, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that timezone option just set what time is displayed for you on RpN? I'm almost positive that's what the timezone is for.

All in all, I think it could be a handy tool. Even if people's sleeping schedules are all over the place, it would be useful for a variety of situations. Though, of course, keep it optional (which I believe Jaye has gone back on the suggestion of making it mandatory).

Pine said:
Just gonna' pop in here real quick and, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that timezone option just set what time is displayed for you on RpN? I'm almost positive that's what the timezone is for.
All in all, I think it could be a handy tool. Even if people's sleeping schedules are all over the place, it would be useful for a variety of situations. Though, of course, keep it optional (which I believe Jaye has gone back on the suggestion of making it mandatory).
Yep, that's what it does. However, I am not sure if there is a way to display that information publicly or not.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Why not just ask the person their timezone?

[/QUOTE]
Why not just ask the person their age or gender or username?

Because it's a useful piece of information to have on hand when people are trying to organise when people are around to roleplay. At the moment I do ask everyone what their timezone is whenever they say "On x day" or "At x time" because 99% of the time their timezone does not align with mine. However it would be much simpler to just click their username and have that information (potentially) available.

Edit: On a less snarky note: I'm not sure how your question is particularly valid. I explained why I thought this was a valid idea in my initial post. It seemed like a way to make a problem I was having easier. Asking what you did seems to translate to me saying: "I thought of an easier way, if it physically works." you: "Why not just do it the hard way?" To which my answer is clearly going to be a baffled "Uh, because it's hard?"

Unless I'm missing your point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back