• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Time Travel

Larry

Your resident on-and-off bibliomaniac!
Would the concept time travel itself be positioned under the 'Fantasy' or 'Futuristic' tab?

I've been deliberating with myself as to the concept of time travel being a real-life concept during our present day and time for a role-play I've been thinking of. So to it being set under a Modern setting, would it's position as a 'Realistic' roleplay be justified or would be one of the types mentioned above?

Much appreciated.

Well, how are they traveling through time? I'm leaning more towards Futuristic but it'd depend on what kind of RP you're making.

I would say if the game takes place primarily in a past/fantasy setting with characters from a futuristic setting, it would be 'Fantasy' since that is the overall setting. If the characters are jumping back and forth, I would say 'Futuristic'.

Captain Hesperus

It'll be more traveling back-in-time rather than heading on into the future. The main aim is to make sure no one tampers with the timeline so as to not induce a drastic change in the modern world. If you've read Time Riders or even The History Keepers, it's more or less a roleplay similar to the circumstances faced in those books.

Larry said:
It'll be more traveling back-in-time rather than heading on into the future. The main aim is to make sure no one tampers with the timeline so as to not induce a drastic change in the modern world. If you've read Time Riders or even The History Keepers, it's more or less a roleplay similar to the circumstances faced in those books.
Think about the time they're currently in before they start time travelling- is the world high-tech, extreme technological advntages that they take back into the past with them? If so it's most likely futuristic.

If the time zone they're currently in pays no adverse effects to the time periods they travel to, and the only advantage is the time travel in itself- it is realistic/modern. I can see where it could be fantasy though, so it's honestly up to you where you want to put it- given it's in between the genres.

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit! :)

A real pickle all right!

But yes, the setting where they time travel from is modern. Whilst they do have the benefit of time travel itself, the destination they find themselves heading to is one they must blend into. The attire of the day is something they must be fashioned with beforehand so as to not induce confusion and trouble into requiring such garbs.

But I see something similar has already been established on the site...

Oh cruel world!

Don't stress over similar games. You'd be surprised just how many games on :rpn: are similar. As long as you aren't wholesale using the entirely same game as someone else, word for word, don't worry. By-the-by, what genre is that game?

Captain Hesperus

It was 'Futuristic' from what I could see.

But you're absolutely right about that one sir. There's this one idea I want to implement but I'm looking for a purpose.

Basically, you step into the shoes of a historic figure , infamous or without a shadow of the spotlight, and you experience an event in history. Maybe it could be used as an aptitude test to test someone's character? Still looking for that reason nonetheless!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back