• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Throne of Secrets [Closed RP]

aintnobaka

tatakae
@Kiana3746

Hanging on the arm of an unmarried and desperate Lord was not something new to Reina. In fact, she'd done it many times before when a ball had been held at the glass castle and a lonely Lord required a date to take. She never particularly enjoyed it; she couldn't even enjoy the payment at the end of the night as most of it went to Madame Clarisse anyway. But this evening she'd pulled the short straw and been stuck with an unattractive and unkind man who strangely smelt like out-of-date poultry. But thankfully the ball was a masquerade so she didn't need to look at his face.

The mask she wore complimented her purple gown perfectly. It was decorated in purple and silver glitter in a symmetrical floral pattern, with silver lines around the eyes. The skirt of her dress puffed out, yet it was mainly chiffon with a silk underskirt beneath, the top layers starting as a light shade of lilac while the bottom layers deepened in colour.

Reina stood at the Lord's side, a goblet of champagne in her hands. She remained silent as he spoke to a friend or business partner - she didn't know and she didn't care. Instead, she looked around the hall, admiring the pretty dresses of the ladies and watching as their flowing skirts twirled as they danced. Oh, she dearly wished to dance. But the Lord she was with didn't.

"Dancing is pointless. It gets you out of breath and tired." He'd remarked as they entered the castle only an hour ago.

But Reina loved dancing, and she would take any excuse, any arm, to have the chance to dance tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bastien knew many a man that could vouch for the fact that he did not particularly enjoy the grand celebrations that the King held, especially the masked balls. Too many people, all concealed by varying costumes and guises, and all wearing numerous layers to protect from the cold... or to hide weapons. In pairs of two, guests had already begun filtering in when Bastien had been summoned to his post. Ladies in elegant gowns of lavender, gold, and silver were accompanied by Lords and members of the Kings Court, in similar colors. Small specks of frost clung to the cloaks of the attendees, warming and evaporating as soon as the chill winter air collided with the blazing heat emitted by the numerous fires blazing throughout the large chamber.

Surveying the room, Bastiens simple silver-and-sapphire tunic glinted gently in the suspended candlelight, his steely eyes flicking from guest to guest. At his back, large bay windows let in the last of the dying rays of sunlight, descending behind the enormous hedges that lined the outer windows edge. Beyond, lay sprawling lush gardens, dusted with a fine layer of snow.

The magnificent ballroom was awash with the colors of winter, the grand chandelier hanging overhead draped with various gold and blue silks, the dancing candlelight making the walls and floor look like they were alive with fire and ice. An orchestra was situated in the middle of the dancers, the ebb and sway of dancers moving in time with the motions of the instruments.

Ladies in various absurd dresses spun around the room in a lazy fashion, the smooth caress of alcohol already subduing their motions as their male counterparts led them through the sea of people. Shaped rectangularly with rounded corners, the edges of the grand ballroom were subtly darker than the rest, the light almost refraining to extend to the far reaches of the area.

Just as his boredom reached its peak, a shimmer of lilac caught his attention. Shifting his gaze, he damned the ornate mask of woven copper - painted to look gold - that he wore. Sucking in a breath, a woman whom he could only describe as one of the Fae of old times fell into his line of sight. The brown hair trailing along her shoulders and back gave way to a slim waist of lilac and lavender, which then descended to a shade of deepest purple at the hem of her dress.

Swallowing, Bastien only had one thought in that moment.

She would be his, if only for one dance, that was all he needed from this creature of beauty.

As Reina admired the women dancing around, watching their twirls and their bows, a gold spec in the corner of her eye caught her attention. And when she followed the spec of gold, she laid eyes upon a guard stationed at the side of the ballroom. His gaze seemingly upon her, and lingering. It made her cheeks turn rose, but she took her attention away from him to return it to the man at her side. She placed her hand on his elbow.

"Please excuse me, I'd like to go and try some of the canapes." She smiled at the Lord and turned to wander around the sides of the ballroom so as not to bump into any of the dancers and ruin their fun. And true to her word, she did try some of the canapes. A small round cracker with cream cheese and a thin orange fish she'd never seen before. And when she took a bite, she almost melted at how delicious it truly was.

Her feet guided her further around the walls and she stopped nearby the guard she'd caught staring at her, her goblet of champagne in her hands. She raised it to her lips and sipped, then slowly lowered it as the drink refreshed her. "It's a wonderful evening, isn't it?" She said, allowing her gaze to flick to the guard just for a second. "And the palace is so warm... The King really knows how to host a good ball."

Red stained Bastiens cheeks almost instantly, the woman's lilting voice floating on silent wings towards him. Sneaking a look out of the corner of his eye, the slender figure clad in shades of purple now stood nearby, no more than a meter or so away. Clearing his throat, he acknowledged her statement. "It is indeed wonderful, his Majesty certainly has a knack for exquisite celebrations." Lifting an eyebrow, he kept his vision mostly trained on her, now only watching the dancing throngs of people out of the corner of his eye.

Off in the front of the room, the Captain of the Royal Guard entered in through the large ornate set of double doors, followed by two lines of twelve soldiers. Halting, the tall, greying man raised a gloved hand and waved the fresh set of guards through. A smile playing across his lips, Bastien relaxed and finally turned to face the woman present at his side.

Just as the orchestra slowed into a smooth waltz, Bastien dipped low into a bow, keeping his gaze upon hers and extending a gloved hand. "May I share this dance with you?" He inquired as smoothly as he could, hiding the gentle shake of his nerves in the eye of his potential dancing partner.

Reina's gaze flitted over to the set of guards who walked into the ballroom and she couldn't help but smiled when she realised what it meant. And when she turned to the man in front of her and saw that he was bowing and holding out his hand, she couldn't help but grin instead of smile. She would finally get the chance to dance. Oh, she was so glad she walked away from the smelly Lord she'd came with.

With a smile on her face, she let her smaller hand settle in his, and she dropped down into a curtsy. "It would be my pleasure, sir." She hummed and allowed him to lead her to the dance floor, her heart pounding in her chest with excitement.

Her soft hand in his, Bastiens heart thumped with every step towards the dancing floor, the wave of people now dispersed and paired off in twos, lazily twirling about the orchestra in a slow waltz. Pulling her closer to him tenderly, Bastien looked down into the woman's jade eyes as his left hand linked with hers, the other hesitating at her waist until he slowly let it rest just above her hip. Moving his feet slowly, his features crinkled into a soft smile as he ever so gently began to spin her around the room, even daring to spin her once.

Fineries swirled through the air, hoop skirts draped in silk and pearls, lifting and moving with the swell of music, flutes and violins accompanying the box step of one hundred feet. From the center of the orchestra, a male baritone intertwined with that of a female soprano, the notes and tones of their voices filling the room and contending with the instruments in a rising and falling fashion to match the dancing crowd.

It shocked her to find that she was nervous. She was actually nervous, her hand slowly inching towards his shoulder where she rested it delicately. Even when with clients, Reina never appeared nervous, and with time, she herself forgot her nerves. But this man, this guard, was not a client. He wanted to dance with her.

And when he spun her, she felt herself laugh. A genuine laugh. Not one fabricated to entertain lonely Lords. Reina danced with him, swaying from side to side, and she looked up at the man before her. "I know this is a Masquerade ball... The whole theme is secrecy... But I have to know your name." A name to put to the man who, within five minutes, made her evening.

M-my name? Bastiens cheeks flushed brighter than they ever had, and he almost thought he had begun to illuminate from all the blood in his cheeks. "My name, fair lady, is Bastien. Maybe I inquire as to what yours is?" Gods above, he was so happy, the world could be ending around him and he wouldn't have the faintest trace of a care if it meant he could stay dancing with her in his arms. Golds and silvers and blues blurred together in the background, all priorly discernible features bleeding into one as his gaze focused on his partner, he didn't want to forget anything.

He didn't want to forget the waterfall of lilac into royal purple, the soft layering of her silky brown hair, or the curious jade eyes. The lilting laugh of hers send his heart skipping a beat and his stomach flipping, because he couldn't for the life of him place why she would agree to dance with him, but he wouldn't screw up his only chance for that night.

Bastien... A handsome name for a handsome man, even if the mask was in the way. Her lips curled up and parted, her teeth visible as she couldn't stop herself from grinning. "My name is Reina. It's a pleasure and an honour to meet you, Bastien... And I'm..." She trailed off, her soft cheeks pinking. Gods, she was stumbling on her words. She never stumbled on her words to clients.

But he wasn't a client.

"I'm glad that you're my first dance of the evening." Reina said with a soft chuckle to deflect from her nervousness. "I was never going to get one with Lord Ashbroke."

Bastien was suddenly very relieved to be able to contribute to the conversation with an opinion of his own. "I simply don't know how to put this kindly, and I'm afraid you'll think ill of me for it, but I do think a jowly old man like him doesn't deserve a stunning young vixen such as yourself, Reina." Biting the inside of his cheek, he quickly quipped again, "Though I do think it is I who should be glad to be dancing with you, not many guards get to say they have the pleasure of dancing with a bright and well.. confident lady at one of these masked balls."

shutupshutupshutup

Bastien wasn't too well versed in speaking to gorgeous
and witty women, and that fact was becoming apparent to himself now.

The smile faded from Reina's face for all of a few seconds while her cheeks deepened in rose, but then it returned. Brighter than ever. "You flatter me, Bastien..." And of course, she didn't know what to say. She'd been called beautiful before, she was used to it. But never bright and confident. Even if all confidence had seemed to disappear from her the moment they started dancing.

"Then, I'm giving you permission to return to your barracks tonight and tell all of your fellow guards how you danced with me." She chuckled softly, her heart thumping against her chest. She couldn't help but wonder if it was visible, with how hard it smacked against her.

"Ah yes, I shall parade your approval around like a golden Medal of Honor, then! All the other guards should turn green from envy, I assume." Bastiens eyes crinkled at the corners, his smile only fading as the music began to decrescendo, and slow until it stopped completely. Sliding his right hand to hers, he looked down at her lips once before flicking his gaze back up to Reina's eyes, a sad and almost disappointed look clouding his grey ones.

"Will you be returning to the castle anytime soon, miss Reina? As much as I'd like to see you again.." He trailed off, chucking nervously as he ran his left hand through the short hairs at the nape of his neck. "I would hate having to see you be suffocated by that poultry scent that Lord Ashbroke seems to have made into his own personal cologne."

Reina laughed at his comment about the other guards turning green from envy. It made butterflies flutter in her stomach, the way he was complimenting her. His compliments were genuine, too. They weren't degrading, something she was incredibly used to. As they came to a stop, the disappointment was visible on her face as her lips turned down slightly. She would have asked for one more dance, but she didn't think Lord Ashbroke would appreciate it.

"I wish I could say yes, but... I do not know, unfortunately." Reina gave his hands a gentle squeeze and she pushed herself up onto her toes. She leaned in so she could press a delicate kiss to his cheek. "But I'll keep an eye out for you, Bastien. Because I think not seeing you ever again would break my heart."

Bastien closed his eyes and savored the small kiss that landed on his cheek, a small goofy sort of smile spreading onto his face once more. "And I you, Reina. Good luck with the Lord, and please do not hesitate to call for me if something happens.. These Lord types seem to believe they can always get what they want." Bastien subconsciously squeezed her fingers ever so slightly, before releasing them and dropping into a bow once more.

"May Lumas light your way home tonight." He mumbled to her softly, wishing Reina well before he winked at her and turned on his heel, striding back to his post. The smaller, if not scrawny guard that had filled his position momentarily jumped out of the way as Bastien approached, as if relieved to be able to run back to the guards barracks and get a decent nights rest. Though Bastien couldn't say he was jealous, not after the almost dreamlike dance he just had.

"I'll call for you, should I need you." Reina smiled and watched him return to his post, her heart flipping excitedly in her chest. She remained on the spot where he'd left her, admiring him from afar, as if caught in a trance. But when it settled in that her dance with him was really over, her smile faded and she let out a soft sigh. So instead of standing there for the rest of the night, she returned to Lord Ashbroke's side, who looked less than impressed with what he'd witnessed. No doubt he'd call her a whore later that night.

And, as expected, the rest of her night at the masquerade was dance-less once again. But every so often she would glance over at Bastien, her cheeks warming up each time she looked at him. As the night drew to a close and the guests started to leave, Lord Ashbroke led her out of the castle.

Huffing in annoyance, Lord Ashbroke's fun-filled evening had certainly taken a blow, and it had been going so well. He'd secured a slave deal in Calaculla, discussed the Winter Solstice with the Eyllwian ambassadors, who's Adarlanian was atrocious in his opinion, and he'd overviewed the weapons commands with the Captain of the Guard. But now that little piece he'd bought for the evening, Raven or something, was off flirting with a guard. Typical whore.

Masking his anger, he linked his arm around her waist as she drew near, showing off the pretty penny to the Lords surrounding him. Lord Dyma was going on about the newest fishing expedition he had gone on, but Ashbrokes attention was rather on how much coin he had secured with that catch. Excusing himself, Ashbroke moved his hand to the girls slim wrist and tugged her aside to the shadowy corners of the ballroom, until they were alone in one of the winding staircases.

"Having fun tonight, my dear?" He whispered into her ear, his dark eyes abaze with unchecked rage, his chest pressing her to the wall. "Did you think I wouldn't have seen you
whoring yourself out to the guard, hm?"

Admittedly, Reina was taken off guard as he led her to one of the winding staircases so they were alone. Huh, and she thought they'd be leaving. But her eyes widened slightly as he practically pressed himself against her so she was, essentially, pinned to the wall. His whispered words flowed into her ear like slime and it sent awful shivers down her spine.

"I-I wasn't whoring myself to him, my Lord... I was just dancing with him." Reina muttered as she swallowed the lump in her throat, attempting to meet his gaze but perhaps that was the most frightening thing to do. "Surely, you can understand that, seeing as you didn't want to dance..." She attempted to seem confident, like usual, but he terrified her.

"Do not talk back to me!" Ashbroke thundered, his fist shaking against the wall in anger. "You are mine for this evening, and you will do as I say! You will not be speaking to anyone, and you will smile, and nod, and stay by my side." He sucked in a breath, steadying his rage. "And if you even think of stepping one toe out of line, we'll see what Madame Clarisse will have to say about that, hmm?"

Stepping back, a smug grin settled onto his lips, the thin caterpillar of a mustache quivering and stretching with his thin upper lip. Ashbroke smoothed out his golden sash, pinned with miscellaneous badges, and took another step back out into the light. Offering her his arm, he cleared his voice and addressed her once more. "Come now darling, we have an evening to finish."

Reina visibly flinched and let out a whimper as his voice boomed around them and she turned her head so she wasn't looking at him. She trembled, she actually trembled as he spoke to her - as he threatened her. She would not talk back to him. She would not voice her reasons around him. She would not do any of that so long as she was around him, to protect herself from his rage.

She stepped into the light as he held out his arm and she slipped hers around it. He would be able to feel her shaking, no doubt. But she put on a brave face and forced a smile to her lips as they returned to the ballroom.

Bastien was growing worried as he scanned the ballroom, and he couldn't find Reina. Maybe she had to use the washroom... He tried to convince himself she just had to reapply her makeup, or use the washroom, and it almost worked until he realized he couldn't see Lord Ashbroke as well. Panic gripped his heart with sharp fingers, digging in and holding on as he tried to reason with himself.

Just as he was ready to get his replacement and look for the missing two himself, a red-faced Ashbroke emerged from a dark corner, dragging Reina along by his side. She was smiling, but something still felt off. Looking the man up and down, the only thing that revealed anything had happened in that alcove, were the light red marks on the Lords knuckles.

Furrowing his brow, Bastien sucked in a breath and steadied his now clenched fists. He had to remember that he was a Royal Guard, and had to put his job above his personal problems, no matter how much he wanted to attend to them. Closing his eyes slowly, Bastien loosed the breath and straightened his back, staring out into the room unflinchingly. He hoped Reina would understand.

Reina's gaze lingered on the other Lords and Ladies as she and Lord Ashbroke returned to their sides. It took her a few minutes to risk glancing off in the direction of Bastien, and she immediately caught sight of his clenched fists. Either he knew something was going on, or he was angry at something else. And even though the smile remained on her lips, the look in her eyes showed it all.

Clearing her throat, she turned back to Lord Ashbroke and smiled up at him. Her hand gently rested on the breast of his jacket, returning to the part she was used to playing. "My dear Lord... How long until we return home? Only I'm starting to feel a bit woozy... I think I may have drank too much." She laughed softly. Truth was, she didn't want Bastien to see her shaken. She didn't want him to know she was scared. She didn't want anyone to know how terrified she was.

Chuckling loudly, he addressed the Lords around him with his courtesans answer. "It seems my lady would like me to bed as soon as possible, eh lads?" The assembled group as a whole guffawed, with a few of them remarking, "Me next, eh lassie? and "Save a turn for me!", despite them all having Ladies of their own on their arms. Though, he wasn't a cruel man, and he indulged her. Turning and waving to the group he had amassed, Lord Ashbroke made for the stairs with his courtesan on his arm.

Nodding to the Captain posted at the door as they climbed the stairs, he clapped the stoic man on the shoulder before leading his lady outside and motioning for a carriage. A silence settled over them, until a a black carriage with gold trim rolled up next to them, and the footman leapt down to hold open the door. Climbing inside of the carriage, he didn't even hold out a hand for the woman. She could climb in herself, she was able.

Reina laughed along with them even though inside she could have screamed. Lord Ashbroke always was one of the more awkward customers to deal with. Unlike a lot of customers, he didn't just want her bedroom services. He took her to parties and dinners so that he wouldn't appear lonely to his colleagues. But he was very degrading even in normal conversation, and it was very difficult to deal with.

She gripped onto the handle of the carriage and pulled herself into it once she was in. She would have scoffed if he couldn't hear her; the least he could do was offer her a hand to help her into the carriage. And when they were both settled in and the carriage pulled away, she turned to him with that all too familiar fake smile. "It's been a wonderful evening. Thank you, my Lord."

Wrapping up the Masquerade Ball was easy, as he simply had to make sure guests were out of the castle and headed home in their carriages. It would have been easier, however, if he hadn't been worrying the whole time. He didn't know how or why Lord Ashbroke managed to capture Reina's attention, but perhaps she saw something in him that no one else saw.

Even if there was love there, Bastien couldn't help but think about what he'd heard about the Lord. Rumors had it, the Lord indulged in fine drink, and even more expensive company. If anything, he felt bad for any courtesans the Lord might hire for his services. Perhaps he had changed, perhaps he wanted to settle down.. with Reina. He couldn't bear that thought.

The next day, the next job.

Reina had left Lord Ashbroke's manor that morning with a sack of coins and a necklace he'd surprised her with. Perhaps he felt sorry for shouting at her the night before. After a second, she realised how foolish that thought was; it was probably his strange way of claiming her, even if she had other customers to deal with. And speaking of other customers...

"Where did you get a piece like that?" �Her customer, the son of a powerful Lord, questioned as he held her against the wall in an alleyway. Even if she tried to explain it was gift, he didn't believe her. He just scoffed and shook his head. "You stole it, didn't you? All of you whores steal from your customers... Which Lord's wife that belong to, huh?"

Reina frowned as he reached forward and yanked the necklace forcefully from her neck. "Hey, stop! Give it back!" She tried to reach for it, but he held it out of her way. She grabbed his arm to pull it down, but he just shoved her to the ground. She cried out as her arms scraped against the cobbled stones.

"Guards!" The young man shouted and held her down to the ground by placing his foot on her stomach, immediately staining her dress with mud. "We have a thief!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back