Threads of Fate

@Grey

By the second group of people, you mean those who write a whole essay about their character walking down the stairs?

As someone who has English as a second language, I can't imagine ever writing that much in one post.

Haha, it probably is a bad translation. I wasn't sure whether to call it "scientific witchcraft" or just plain "magic". It's only a small reference to where one of the inspirations came from: A song by Mili called "Ga1ahad and Scientific Witchery". [media]

[/media]
I'll take a look when I have time. So far I've only taken a look on the tutorial for building RP, writing fantasy, setting and (very briefly) at nation building.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Quark

Those settings sound great.

The read as distinct, but connected which I think will work really well, especially the little variations in magic use.

@Alexandra

We'll have to see how much they can be connected LOL.

I'm still a little worried how confusing everything can be for the players.

Below consists of the explanations for the magic/powers in each setting. I've decided to emphasize more on limitations and specifications to give room for more creativity for players when they are choosing powers for their characters. Thus I probably won't go into more detail and will wait for any questions. Depending if players prefer more or less scientific magic when the time comes, I might remove that list in Setting 3.

Setting 1 Magic

Everyone has affinity to one element. Some who excel in magic may have an additional affinity over time. The five basic elements are: fire, water, earth, wood and metal.

In general magic effects are not too obvious at times. The more efficient it is, the more mana it requires. More experienced magic users have a larger mana pool, so it is proportional to the age. All magic requires magic gems to enhance magic effects in one way or another. On a note, magic gems are not cheap. Fortunately other than ritual magic, gems don't wear out for several years.

Types of magic in Erminia:

It takes time to master just one type of magic, hence often people settle on practising one type first. After being proficient in one, they may then perhaps consider about having a few fundamental knowledge about the others. Healing and curse magic are the most commonly used.

Healing magic: refers to magic used for recovery of non-critical physical injuries, curses and ailments. Generally can be in the form of channeling mana into the injury with a staff. There are also some who gather specific ingredients and prepare them to produce tonics/potions. These are the common ways, but some village or cities may have slightly different traditional methods. Currently it is the most researched type of magic. Healing magic users often find a profession in giving treatment to those who are sick or need a curse being lifted. Curses are harder to treat and require more mana. In addition, some more experienced healing magic users are able to make seals/items that grant immunity to curses for a period of time.

Curse magic: refers to magic that brings some sort of misfortune upon a victim, such as causing the victim to become dizzy, mute or blind. One can also inflict some physical injuries, though this is more taxing. Generally curse magic requires a sacrifice, such as the caster inflicting the injuries on themselves, then using mana to channel this injuring to be projected onto the victim. There are other forms such as voodooism or setting illusions, depending on the practises taught in that region. Most curses can be lifted with healing magic, but they must be properly identified. Some curse magic users are able to fuse two curses into one (this counts as one skill). People who practise curse magic are not necessarily hated as it means they can provide additional defense, but some cities may be a little wary.

Summons: magic rituals that call forth some effect, familiar/spirit, etc. These effects have some sort of impact, whether the human eye can see it or not. One example could be summoning a spirit, another could be summoning a barrier. The main components required are generally magic circles/seals and sacrifices/gems. One is generally required to draw the magic circle markings on the ground, then lay magic gems on areas in the magic circle. Some smaller-scale summons can be done with a pre-drawn or visualised magic circle. The larger the summon, the larger the stakes if the ritual is messed up, and the longer it takes. Generally the magic gems wear out more often with this type of magic (within just a few uses, depending on how large-scaled the summon is), thus it is not practised often.

• In particular: A special type of magic is the traditional rituals for the temple of the sun. These rituals are to channel pleas from the humans to the gods, often to seek for answers and wisdom. Very few know them.

This magic is actually just going to be used for the plot. I don't expect many to be interested given how tedious summons can be.

Setting 2 Magic

Skills from Setting 1 shall be carried onto this world. Characters who did not have magic skills can gain up to three powers, whilst the others can gain one. (I might give exceptions to this depending on how well they play their character). New characters can gain up to three.

Magic gems are no longer needed. In this world, there are no such things as "magic gems" or "circles" etc that are practically used. To be able to use magic, there are two conditions: one must have affinity to at least one power, and that they have energy (life energy, or "ki/chi/qi", works like mana). If a character is low on energy or critically injured, it is recommended to not to use their powers and they can easily faint. One needs to rest and eat and after a while they will recover.

There are a lot less restrictions on the type of powers. Players shall have the freedom to choose powers within the specifications stated.

Specifications:

- everyone who had an elemental affinity will be carried over into this setting. Their gained power can be based on this. However, more importantly this affinity defines roughly what powers they are weak against.

- you cannot create something from nothing. Also being able to make funky gadgets or programs in the blink of an eye is not a power I'll be accepting.

- you cannot have anything like regenerating, reviving etc.

- powers related to espers, mind-reading, telekinesis must be discussed first properly in the OOC before I approve of the player to use for their character.

- no time jumping, mass dilating (or gravity manipulating), nuclear stuff, manipulating dark matter, super cyber hacking, dimension jumping or quantum magic.

- the above should give an overall idea of what is considered OP. I may ask a player to change their powers if I realise that it is OP, or that it cannot be used for plot reasons.

- the abilities are not able to be modified or made by any humans or organisations. You must be born with it, or you discovered it.

Most abilities are used for offensive and defensive purposes and can be initiated by the user at will. There are a few exceptions, where the user may have passive abilities. This could be a side-effect, or that it is activated upon some condition. An example: an electrostatic field barrier is formed around a user when they feel extreme fear.

Setting 3 Magic

Powers from setting 2 shall be carried into this world. Characters old or new can only gain one new ability.

Just like setting 2, one needs to have life energy to be able to use their powers. These powers will be amplified in terms of affect under the condition that one (the player and the character) must be able to understand the mechanics of it fairly well. For example, if you know little about the properties of metal, your powers aren't going to be that affective.

Scientific Witchcraft:

The additional power gained in this world also has little restrictions. You are free to choose from something outside of the 'elements' I have proposed below, similar to the previous settings. Every CS needs to specify the power's practical uses, limitations and the range of effect, so that everyone can understand.

Specifications:

- the additional power will take a short period of time to adjust to, and the character must understand the basics of how to use it. The power might be more effective if they understand how it works.

- no reviving powers. No regenerating powers, though there are ways to get around that now.

- avoid using dark matter or dark energy, because no one really knows what it is. (Hue.)

- depending on how large-scaled the effect can be, one use can drain much of the energy. So it will depend on the capacity of your character's life energy. Translate that to "mana", it is proportional to their age and experience.

Elements:

Space:

Space is the three-dimensional element where one can measure motion, and where matter exists. It is also known as the "Cartesian Plane". Examples of powers include teleporting, control over matter's volume.

Time:

The chronological interval measured in-between two events that exist in space. In space-time theory, it is considered to be the fourth dimension. Space grows and changes depending on time. Powers typically include controlling the arrow of time (allowing time to stop or reverse for a period of time), manipulating space-time and changing an event in the future to change the past.

Gravity:

Gravity is a dip in space-time caused by an object with mass. It is generally more significant with massive objects like a star or planet, and is considered a fundamental force of the universe. Planets orbiting stars and stars orbiting the centres of the galaxies are all due to gravity. Powers include achieving zero gravity, g-force manipulation and having gravitational strength of celestial bodies like small sized planets.

Entropy:

The measure of disorder. Over time order becomes chaos, and increases over time. Examples being explosives destroy things, eggs splatter, gases from a jar will expand, and the Big Bang itself is another example of entropy. In the real world, none of these can be reversed. It is the force of destruction that one can use to determine the direction of the arrow of time. (Replay the video of ice cubes "unmelting" in a glass, and you can tell it is being played backwards, and time is moving backwards). Powers can include speeding up the atomic decay of matter, changing the state of an object, and molecular reactions.

Light:

Radiation from the stars and bright objects. Light is a component in the electromagnetic spectrum, consisting of particles called photons that travel along in electromagnetic waves in space. Space-time is bent and warped to keep the speed of light as constant. When a person approaches the speed of light, their internal biological clock will slow down and space distorts. You cannot travel faster than light. Examples of powers include projecting different components of the electromagnetic spectrum (eg. ultra-violet, gamma, etc) and speeding close to the speed of light.

Electromagnetism:

Refers to the electromagnetic force, a type of physical interaction that occurs between electrically charged particles. Electromagnetic forces are represented by electromagnetic fields, which consists of electric fields, magnetic fields and light. It is one of the fundamental interactions in nature, among the other three: gravitation, the strong interaction and the weak interaction. Powers include manipulating the properties of electric or magnetic fields, controlling the flow of electrostatic particles.

For now, I won't mention much about the other two elements, "Strong Interaction" and "Weak Interaction", as there haven't been any humans who are found to have abilities in this category. If they are of any significance in the plot I will introduce it in the actual RP. One can read up more about it in "The Fabric of the Cosmos", or just google it.

One of my characters, will have an ability based on the above list in order to gain access to the next world.

Setting 4 Magic

No new magic abilities to be gained here. By now their abilities should have evolved, and developed enough from the previous three arcs. Once again power is limited by the energy required for each use. The powers have not been amplified, and remain about the same effect as in setting 3. No new main characters will be accepted into this arc since things are going to get wrapped up.

Most likely in this arc, there is going to be less focus on the actual magic. In the previous settings, there is enough room to explore the general attitude of the public towards ability users. In this setting, the characters are probably going to be too overwhelmed and confused about what is going on. They shouldn't really need to use anything too extreme... yet.

I'm aware that some characters might end up having more than others. This is designed to put some balance between those who didn't start off with magic and those who did. The other obvious thing is that the players who have dedicated time to the arcs will naturally have a character with grown magic potential. This doesn't necessarily mean they are stronger against newer characters, but they have an advantage.

@GoldenChari @Grey @Alexandra

Thank you very much for the feedback and help! The questions were also very much appreciated. Without all of it, I don't think Quarkie would have been able to consider about the many factors for starting an RP. Hopefully I may see you guys again in an RP somewhere.

Within the end of the week hopefully I'll be able to get an interest check up in the fantasy section.

Quark said:
@GoldenChari @Grey @Alexandra
Thank you very much for the feedback and help! The questions were also very much appreciated. Without all of it, I don't think Quarkie would have been able to consider about the many factors for starting an RP. Hopefully I may see you guys again in an RP somewhere.

Within the end of the week hopefully I'll be able to get an interest check up in the fantasy section.
better tag me in the official thread and intrest cheak!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back