Threads of Fate

Quark

Fundamental Particle
While working on my first original RP idea on RPN, I'd like some feedback before I properly put up an interest check. Once that happens, much of the content here may be hidden.

Much is still under development, and probably won't release the proper request until three weeks later.

But any criticisms are most welcome. Some of this is new to me, and I have doubts whether this is a good idea or not.

Main plot

This is about a roleplay set in a fantasy alternative universe.There are two main nations: Erminia and Lexaria.

Lexaria is the nation of the skies. For many centuries, it has been a series of islands that float atop the earth, above the clouds. It is said that this was the land once blessed by Seiryuu, the legendary blue dragon. It was once a land where children could roam for free after dark, and where many could travel without weapons.

However from the east, all changed when a dark cloud had appeared. It swallowed the highest tower in the islands, the Holy Tower of the Moon. Dangerous creatures of the dark began to crawl on these islands, victimizing the Lexarians. Corruption and despair soon swallowed the lands, as these creatures descended onto the nation on the ground: Erminia, a nation much larger than Lexaria.

As darkness continues to crawl over the two nations,there has been prophecy that there will be a group of people that will find out the root of the darkness. They will be brought together by fate, within the temple of the Sun, and journey together to the temple of the Moon. They will find out what these creatures of darkness are, and slay the evil hidden within the cloud to restore Lexaria and Erminia to what it once was.

"Sounds a bit too easy so far, doesn't it?"

The above was what was prophesied, and what some of them believed in. However...

What... is that? I've never seen something more dark... more horrifying...

What on earth... where is this? Where are the others...? Where is everyone...? We were swallowed and then... what happened?

It can't be...Not just those who were once with us on the journey... everyone in Lexaria... and Erminia are ...

When they meet it, they find themselves in somewhere completely foreign. The landmarks, the worshiped gods and the very people. Everything they see seems to be nothing like the Lexaria and Erminia they know. Were they warped, or had something transformed the place? Would they ever find themselves back to their true homeland?

settings

I've left the culture description of Erminia and Lexaria vague because I am hoping to ask everyone who joins what they prefer before putting more ideas on the lore. A couple of ideas I had in mind:

1. Typical medieval setting (like in final fantasy)

2. Something like in Arabian Knights

3. Something from Norse mythology where there are nine worlds and different species

4. Similar to ancient eastern Asia (China, Japan & Korea)

5. Modern culture (appearance and society values), but everyone is more reliant on magic than electronic technology.

Proposed Rules

Apologies for the long read for the rules, they are there for housekeeping and maintaining some quality for the RP.

General rules:

1. Under the ruling force of RPN staff, I (Quark) shall have the final say in decisions for the RP. Most decisions will be made based on others opinions.

2. It is encouraged that you add some detail to your posts to help everyone be able to have a better idea of your character's actions and emotions.

3. It is encouraged that you read the posts of other people, even if you are not involved in that particular scene. Everyone's character is playing a main role in this story. It might be better to subscribe to the main thread instead of just waiting on others to tag you.

4. Please keep OOC discussions in the OOC tab.

5. Please be patient. Some are busier than others. Thus the following would be appreciated:

- if you notice someone is not active that day, please don't progress more than a page. That way when they are back they do not have pages to read over.

- if you are going to be inactive, please spend a few minutes posting on the OOC or PMing me to notify us that you are busy. And an estimate of when you might be back would be good. If there is no response I will PM you after two days. If still nothing after that, I won't be doing any more catching up and move on the RP.

6. Unpredictable things happen, if anyone intends to drop the RP, please let me know. Please avoid the situation where someone loses interest and doesn't respond, leaving others hanging. It's not really common courtesy to people who have put efforts into their posts and cs.

7. While I am not here, the Co-GM shall be making the decisions on my behalf.

8. If you have any additional ideas, post it up in the OOC or PM me. I prefer it in the OOC so that everyone can have a say in what they think.

Roleplaying rules:

1. No godmodding. Don't deal permanent damage on another RPer's character, or that character's important item, without permission. Likewise, no killing of another RPer's character without permission.

2. Adding onto the above rule, the plot doesn't have much room for main characters to die. We will be brutal with our characters in another way. If you have another reason you want your character to die (eg. showing them doing some heroic sacrifice...), use OOC or PM me and we can discuss then.

3. Avoid metagaming as much as possible. Metagaming refers to using external gained knowledge in the gaming universe, most likely for personal advantage. In this case, anything in the Lore, or OOC that the character does not know about should not be used. This would mean that as observant/knowledgable some characters might be they also can make mistakes, no one is all-knowing. This is why we keep OOC and IC separate.

4. In a fight, it is preferred that you don't just simply say something like "she tried to stab him."In a player against player RP fight, it is preferred to make descriptions of how they dealt with an attack in some detail. If there is a dispute about whether an attack lands, my favour would definitely lean towards someone who has taken the effort to describe how their characters executed the attack (eg. speed, target, strength etc)

5. Be realistic in battles. You can be efficient and strong, but a character that just destroys a group of 30 in a breath is not a realistic human. Getting completely unscathed out of there if you aren't a God or old-aged experienced fighter is also questionable.

6. One-liners are fine if the scene is insignificant. But it's not encouraged when you are posting an important scene. You should be able to judge when to add more details when your character is going through an important development. On the other hand, there is no need to always post paragraphs of monologue either.

7. If romance does develop between yours and someone else's character, make sure not to derail from the main storyline. There will be consequences in the actual plot. Please also don't just interact with one character.

8. This roleplay fits more into the fantasy type, however the characters shall find themselves into various settings with elements belonging to other genres. Fandom and dice RPs will definitely not be included, but expect sci-fi and realistic. Just be warned that there will be other genre elements in this RP.

9. When the RP is inactive for about four days in the main thread, an event in the plot will be triggered in the IC thread. The RP will be "reset" to a point so that those who are still willing to continue on the RP can continue on, instead of just letting the RP die.

Concerns I have

1. Due to the nature of the plot, and the theme of this RP, I don't really want to reveal too much about the "it" they encounter. But at the same time, I don't want a really vague plot description either...

2. I want to reveal the hidden theme of this RP at the right time of the story, at the climax with hints given scattered in the earlier stages of the RP. However, I am not sure whether that would be off-putting.

3. I don't know if I can manage T_T. I know that a small group of RPers is good, but I'm very worried that people will lose interest even before much has progressed in the story and then drop very early on.

4. I'm worried my rules might be too ... much and drive people away.

Hidden theme

(When I finish developing the RP, I will remove this section entirely)

The main theme of this RP is that it is fantasy, and about forming friendships in a society that has become corrupted due to fear and evil. If the characters manage to make it up to the tower and defeat the darkness/villain, it will be an RP that ends normally with no hidden theme. The "it" will be just some villain that I manage to come up as a rather unexpected challenge.

(Heavy, heavy spoilers below. You don't have to read this if you find all the above is sufficient to get someone interested. Please hide comments/feedback on this in spoilers. )

(this section has been removed...)

In a gist, I suppose I'm trying to aim for something slightly unique...

Updates:

Proposed settings:

Ideas - Threads of Fate

Additional specifications on magic:

Ideas - Threads of Fate

Last edited by a moderator:
Quark said:
While working on my first original RP idea on RPN, I'd like some feedback before I properly put up an interest check. Once that happens, much of the content here may be hidden.
Much is still under development, and probably won't release the proper request until three weeks later.

But any criticisms are most welcome. Some of this is new to me, and I have doubts whether this is a good idea or not.

Main plot

This is about a roleplay set in a fantasy alternative universe.There are two main nations: Erminia and Lexaria.

Lexaria is the nation of the skies. For many centuries, it has been a series of islands that float atop the earth, above the clouds. It is said that this was the land once blessed by Seiryuu, the legendary blue dragon. It was once a land where children could roam for free after dark, and where many could travel without weapons.

However from the east, all changed when a dark cloud had appeared. It swallowed the highest tower in the islands, the Holy Tower of the Moon. Dangerous creatures of the dark began to crawl on these islands, victimizing the Lexarians. Corruption and despair soon swallowed the lands, as these creatures descended onto the nation on the ground: Erminia, a nation much larger than Lexaria.

As darkness continues to crawl over the two nations,there has been prophecy that there will be a group of people that will find out the root of the darkness. They will be brought together by fate, within the temple of the Sun, and journey together to the temple of the Moon. They will find out what these creatures of darkness are, and slay the evil hidden within the cloud to restore Lexaria and Erminia to what it once was.

"Sounds a bit too easy so far, doesn't it?"

The above was what was prophesied, and what some of them believed in. However...

What... is that? I've never seen something more dark... more horrifying...

What on earth... where is this? Where are the others...? Where is everyone...? We were swallowed and then... what happened?

It can't be...Not just those who were once with us on the journey... everyone in Lexaria... and Erminia are ...

When they meet it, they find themselves in somewhere completely foreign. The landmarks, the worshiped gods and the very people. Everything they see seems to be nothing like the Lexaria and Erminia they know. Were they warped, or had something transformed the place? Would they ever find themselves back to their true homeland?

settings

I've left the culture description of Erminia and Lexaria vague because I am hoping to ask everyone who joins what they prefer before putting more ideas on the lore. A couple of ideas I had in mind:

1. Typical medieval setting (like in final fantasy)

2. Something like in Arabian Knights

3. Something from Norse mythology where there are nine worlds and different species

4. Similar to ancient eastern Asia (China, Japan & Korea)

5. Modern culture (appearance and society values), but everyone is more reliant on magic than electronic technology.

Proposed Rules

Apologies for the long read for the rules, they are there for housekeeping and maintaining some quality for the RP.

General rules:

1. Under the ruling force of RPN staff, I (Quark) shall have the final say in decisions for the RP. Most decisions will be made based on others opinions.

2. It is encouraged that you add some detail to your posts to help everyone be able to have a better idea of your character's actions and emotions.

3. It is encouraged that you read the posts of other people, even if you are not involved in that particular scene. Everyone's character is playing a main role in this story. It might be better to subscribe to the main thread instead of just waiting on others to tag you.

4. Please keep OOC discussions in the OOC tab.

5. Please be patient. Some are busier than others. Thus the following would be appreciated:

- if you notice someone is not active that day, please don't progress more than a page. That way when they are back they do not have pages to read over.

- if you are going to be inactive, please spend a few minutes posting on the OOC or PMing me to notify us that you are busy. And an estimate of when you might be back would be good. If there is no response I will PM you after two days. If still nothing after that, I won't be doing any more catching up and move on the RP.

6. Unpredictable things happen, if anyone intends to drop the RP, please let me know. Please avoid the situation where someone loses interest and doesn't respond, leaving others hanging. It's not really common courtesy to people who have put efforts into their posts and cs.

7. While I am not here, the Co-GM shall be making the decisions on my behalf.

8. If you have any additional ideas, post it up in the OOC or PM me. I prefer it in the OOC so that everyone can have a say in what they think.

Roleplaying rules:

1. No godmodding. Don't deal permanent damage on another RPer's character, or that character's important item, without permission. Likewise, no killing of another RPer's character without permission.

2. Adding onto the above rule, the plot doesn't have much room for main characters to die. We will be brutal with our characters in another way. If you have another reason you want your character to die (eg. showing them doing some heroic sacrifice...), use OOC or PM me and we can discuss then.

3. Avoid metagaming as much as possible. Metagaming refers to using external gained knowledge in the gaming universe, most likely for personal advantage. In this case, anything in the Lore, or OOC that the character does not know about should not be used. This would mean that as observant/knowledgable some characters might be they also can make mistakes, no one is all-knowing. This is why we keep OOC and IC separate.

4. In a fight, it is preferred that you don't just simply say something like "she tried to stab him."In a player against player RP fight, it is preferred to make descriptions of how they dealt with an attack in some detail. If there is a dispute about whether an attack lands, my favour would definitely lean towards someone who has taken the effort to describe how their characters executed the attack (eg. speed, target, strength etc)

5. Be realistic in battles. You can be efficient and strong, but a character that just destroys a group of 30 in a breath is not a realistic human. Getting completely unscathed out of there if you aren't a God or old-aged experienced fighter is also questionable.

6. One-liners are fine if the scene is insignificant. But it's not encouraged when you are posting an important scene. You should be able to judge when to add more details when your character is going through an important development. On the other hand, there is no need to always post paragraphs of monologue either.

7. If romance does develop between yours and someone else's character, make sure not to derail from the main storyline. There will be consequences in the actual plot. Please also don't just interact with one character.

8. This roleplay fits more into the fantasy type, however the characters shall find themselves into various settings with elements belonging to other genres. Fandom and dice RPs will definitely not be included, but expect sci-fi and realistic. Just be warned that there will be other genre elements in this RP.

9. When the RP is inactive for about four days in the main thread, an event in the plot will be triggered in the IC thread. The RP will be "reset" to a point so that those who are still willing to continue on the RP can continue on, instead of just letting the RP die.

Concerns I have

1. Due to the nature of the plot, and the theme of this RP, I don't really want to reveal too much about the "it" they encounter. But at the same time, I don't want a really vague plot description either...

2. I want to reveal the hidden theme of this RP at the right time of the story, at the climax with hints given scattered in the earlier stages of the RP. However, I am not sure whether that would be off-putting.

3. I don't know if I can manage T_T. I know that a small group of RPers is good, but I'm very worried that people will lose interest even before much has progressed in the story and then drop very early on.

4. I'm worried my rules might be too ... much and drive people away.

Hidden theme

(When I finish developing the RP, I will remove this section entirely)

The main theme of this RP is that it is fantasy, and about forming friendships in a society that has become corrupted due to fear and evil. If the characters manage to make it up to the tower and defeat the darkness/villain, it will be an RP that ends normally with no hidden theme. The "it" will be just some villain that I manage to come up as a rather unexpected challenge.

(Heavy, heavy spoilers below. You don't have to read this if you find all the above is sufficient to get someone interested. Please hide comments/feedback on this in spoilers. )

The hidden theme of this RP is that "The actions of OOC will affect those in IC". Here whenever "RP is dead" occurs, it means when it is inactive for more than 4 days. Notice that in the plot summary I said this: This is (a roleplay) about a roleplay set in a fantasy alternative universe. After 4 days, I will do a rollcall of who is still active. Their characters will encounter the true "it", and they will find themselves in a different universe. The ones who are not active will be... let's say frozen in the previous timeline/world.

At first the characters might be "reset" as ones tailored for that world's plot, or they might immediately notice something is wrong. They have memories of another world, of Lexaria and Erminia. They know people that they've never met before. I will be making a separate IC tab for this, and if this dies, another reset will happen.

Basically by the end of two or three world jumps, as the characters gain more knowledge about that themselves as actually lived in each different thread I want to emphasize:

1. The roleplay is dependent on all the players. The fate of characters rest on the players. Players that no longer dedicate time to it simply have their characters frozen, or lose their existence. The world itself can no longer progress. Personally I find dead RPs really sad, all the effort into the lore, characters and posts...

2. Every time the RP setting changed, it's a way to show the trend of an RP dying and the GM tries to start a new RP.

3. Every time the character is "reset", this is references to characters that are used in multiple RPs. I've had times where I've done that, in hopes that they might develop in one of the threads.

4. It will also eventually be a way to show appreciation for all those that do dedicate their time to the RP.

Overall, it's an RP that tries to break the 4th wall. Ironically the RP could end when the RPers realise the true nature of the plot. I aim to present it in a way that is kind of unexpected, using the pretty user interface that RPN provides, so that even the Co-GM who will know the hidden theme will have moments of surprise.

In a gist, I suppose I'm trying to aim for something slightly unique...

This is crazily done. The fact you have that reset function and explain how it will affect the rp is brilliant! *Applaudes* Spectacular! I'm being serious. You got talent!

I'll join if you would have me.

@GoldenChari

Thank you for the compliment. There is a concern whether what I have in the main plot and the challenges I put will be enough to keep at least some roleplayers willing to RP to the end. (Ie. Without knowing the hidden theme early on). Preferably it would be good for the reset to happen after at least some have undergone some character development.

Also I mentioned this in the sections about my concerns of launching such an RP, do you feel there are a bit too many rules?

Quark said:
@GoldenChari
Thank you for the compliment. There is a concern whether what I have in the main plot and the challenges I put will be enough to keep at least some roleplayers willing to RP to the end. (Ie. Without knowing the hidden theme early on). Preferably it would be good for the reset to happen after at least some have undergone some character development.

Also I mentioned this in the sections about my concerns of launching such an RP, do you feel there are a bit too many rules?
Honestly i don't. More guidelines thread out the lazy and inexperienced, leaving ready, trained rpers to roleplay.

More rules, less confusion! And honestly, the hidden theme can make people wonder, ya know? Keep any reader wanting to stay until the end.

@GoldenChari

I guess I see where you're coming from, no one wants someone illiterate joining.

By your second sentence, do you mean it's better to let others know about the hidden theme very early on in the RP (or even before it starts)?

@Grey

Thank you for the links (and future feedback?). It looks very useful, especially when I get around to designing the specific lore/details for each setting and arc.

Also, interesting title status you have there. I wonder if I should be worried... :'D

Quark said:
@GoldenChari
I guess I see where you're coming from, no one wants someone illiterate joining.

By your second sentence, do you mean it's better to let others know about the hidden theme very early on in the RP (or even before it starts)?
Depends on everyone's personality as they apply.

Want them to stay and find out the hidden theme?

Or stay to work towards that previously unknown theme? (assuming ya tell em xD )

@GoldenChari

I kind of prefer to get them to find out the hidden theme gradually. Personally I wouldn't care if I'm spoiled by anything, but some people lose motivation after knowing about everything of the plot. Another reason is that, I'm not sure what it means if they stay only for the hidden theme without finding much joy in the roleplay itself. T_T

Also, I expect some people to drop (hopefully not all). Unpredictable things do happen, and this RP is just designed to avoid dead threads when people get inactive.

Right then. This'll be a good warmup for my day.

1. Basic Plot.

Evil cloud and associated monsters descend on idyllic flying fantasy kingdom. Okay, that's a reasonable foundation - although I do hope the idyllic nature of Lexaria is more nostalgia or propaganda than fact, that's because I'm a tiresome cynic. Erminia is not the favoured country, eh? One line of description for them. And then we're transported to another world!

I would certainly watch this anime.

2. Settings

This is reasonable - although I find player feedback is difficult to get when it comes to deciding these details, and it will slow you down. Still, it's good that you've considered alternatives to the fantasy standard. Pers'nally I'd like to see more pre-Islamic Arabian fantasy or Golden Age of Islam fantasy, but that's a month or two of research so I could understand shying away from it.

I'll tell you now, though; I feel the odds of players opting for that one are unlikely. A toss up between 3 and 4 is more likely, and 5 is going to be a lot of work. I suggest you make up your mind and attract players who appreciate that decision. You will, afterall, be doing the heavy lifting when it comes to the world-building following that and if it doesn't excite you, it'll be a terrible chore.

3. Rules

This is all fine. Dice RPs are not a genre, though - they're a format. You should drop by sometime.

4. Concerns

Concern the First: I too would want to keep that hidden. Therefore, don't bring it up - it lacks impact, feels a bit trite, as it is. Rather, try to make your interest check a compelling picture of Lexarian/Erminian life and the fight against the monsters of the cloud. Get people excited about the kind of characters they could create and implied adventures. This has another benefit; if the players are going to visit other worlds, so to speak, giving them a solid context for their characters is key.

I know nothing about Lexaria - so I assume, when making my character, that it is culturally homophobic and that my character will be gay. The players then arrive in a world where there's no stigma to homosexuality. Therefore my character thinks this place is amazing and possibly doesn't want to go. Alternatively, I might decide my character is highly religious and that this zealotry is common - so when we encounter an atheist society, my character decides to go full purge and wonders why the other characters won't join in.

Knowing well where they came from will make the world-hopping better for the players, trust me. And gives you a measure of control over the situation.

Concern The Second: That's typically how stories work. If it's off-putting to someone, then you don't need them.

Concern The Third: That is the GM's Curse. We are doomed to spend hours creating dense settings and elaborate rules, over and over again, with few appreciated by the players and many left to rot on the vine in spite of all the attention during the interest check phase. And yet... you will do this thing anyway. You will stand before RPN's thronging membership without really knowing why.

Bearer of the Curse, seek souls - seek powerful, loyal souls to join you in your adventures, lest this site swallow you whole as it has so many others.

Which is to say, yeah, it might crash and burn the first couple of times. Learn from this. Fail faster. Don't give up.

Concern The Fourth: No. That's a wholly acceptable number of rules, but then I run traditional RPs which are comprised mostly of rules.

5. The Hidden Theme

This is actually brilliant and I will be very sorry to see it fail. I will be watching your output with interest from here on.

@Grey

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated, especially for an inexperienced RPer and a non-English background speaker like myself.

1. Basic Plot

Based on what I've seen here, people tend to have the plot brief and then place the description on the setting in the "settings tab". However, you are right that I haven't completely really planned out the settings yet, especially since it ties in with the actual villain/evil. I could add on a few more sentences on Erminia.

It makes me happy that someone is actually questioning about the utopia description of Lexaria. You are on the right track actually. Perhaps I might have to change my wording a little if it seemed a little too obvious.
2. Settings

I don't find world building too much trouble. Since this is the first RP I'll be running as a GM (instead of just a Co-GM), I'll take on the advice of settling with something myself. I've considered a little about how much detail I want to write, and I'm thinking enough to give the RPers an idea of the tone and what kind of life the characters could have. Don't want to put too many constraints on the setting, that there is less room for other RPers to contribute to the lore for some development idea they might have. Also, I'd like to leave room for any small changes I want to make in the ending.

Maybe it's easier to stick to something easier to understand... when the resetting happens things might get complicated even more.

3. Rules

My mistake about Dice. I suppose when I have time I might check it out.

4. Concerns:

Concern one: I think I understand what you're saying. Build the raw RP plot thoroughly, and make sure that it can stand on its own without the additional features. Once again when I've properly finished designing the challenges/villains and the solutions, I'll be able to provide a setting description. The other thing I will do is mention in the overview that there are multiple possible endings, and that there is a "reset".

Concern three: Noted. Thank you, wise one. I do have a few solid roleplayers I might ask. Hopefully the reset will make it slightly more immune to it dying.

5. The Hidden Theme

Thanks. I really hope that it doesn't fail either.

You know, I was perhaps rather too irreverent there and that could have been insulting - my apologies.

That said, you have the right attitude if you can endure my blather so gracefully.

I do hope the collected tutorials are useful to you - I expect they will be moreso, really.

@Grey

...was it? I didn't notice ...

Not sure whether you were irrelevant. :'D Nothing to apologize for though, I didn't find anything insulting, especially if you were taking time to give me feedback. Overall I did find a couple of points helpful, so thank you very much!

I'll check the tutorials soon.~

That's fascinating.

I'm intrigued by the 4th wall breaking elements here; I have a friend who regularly tries to include it in their tabletop games, but alas, he is not on the site for me to drag in here.

I have some questions about the jumps -

1. Will there be a genre shift, or shall you keep it fantasy all the way through?

2. Will you be doing world building for each shift location (that could be *huge* amounts of work)?

3. Shall the players arrive in their own bodies, with all usual equipment and the like, and no knowledge of the new location?

EDIT 4. Does magic exist, and is it possible for the players to be magic users?

I have more to ask, but answers to those four first will likely clear up unnecessary questions, and enable me to be more useful here ~

Quark said:
@GoldenChari
I kind of prefer to get them to find out the hidden theme gradually. Personally I wouldn't care if I'm spoiled by anything, but some people lose motivation after knowing about everything of the plot. Another reason is that, I'm not sure what it means if they stay only for the hidden theme without finding much joy in the roleplay itself. T_T

Also, I expect some people to drop (hopefully not all). Unpredictable things do happen, and this RP is just designed to avoid dead threads when people get inactive.
Ultimately it's your rp. Do as ya desire, not what others desire.

@Alexandra

(Sorry, would you mind editing that post and hiding your content in spoilers? :'D )

It sounds kind of fun, what your friend does. Does he find it easy to find inspiration for such things? :)

1. It's intended there will be some genre shifts, but the overarching thing of jumping through dimensions feels more like fantasy to me. The new plot will be different from the previous, so that instead of always the same thing as a fantasy quest, resetting will be less dry.

2. I will be doing world building for all of them, though I'll be open to suggestions from the RPers. It'll be some work but once again, I don't intend to type pages and pages of setting description so should be fine. I'll be re-using one or two from scrapped RP ideas,so that should also save some time.

3. They won't have their weapons/powers with them. As for body, not exactly either. Their new body and appearance is tailored to the new setting,with a new bio put into their minds. When the reset happens, I'll be giving the option to update their current cs or make a new character from scratch.

4. Magic does exist, but it is not usable by the characters in some settings.

Hope that answers your questions!

@GoldenChari

Shall keep that in mind! Thanks for your feedback :)

Quark said:
@Alexandra
(Sorry, would you mind editing that post and hiding your content in spoilers? :'D )

It sounds kind of fun, what your friend does. Does he find it easy to find inspiration for such things? :)

1. It's intended there will be some genre shifts, but the overarching thing of jumping through dimensions feels more like fantasy to me. The new plot will be different from the previous, so that instead of always the same thing as a fantasy quest, resetting will be less dry.

2. I will be doing world building for all of them, though I'll be open to suggestions from the RPers. It'll be some work but once again, I don't intend to type pages and pages of setting description so should be fine. I'll be re-using one or two from scrapped RP ideas,so that should also save some time.

3. They won't have their weapons/powers with them. As for body, not exactly either. Their new body and appearance is tailored to the new setting,with a new bio put into their minds. When the reset happens, I'll be giving the option to update their current cs or make a new character from scratch.

4. Magic does exist, but it is not usable by the characters in some settings.

Hope that answers your questions!

@GoldenChari

Shall keep that in mind! Thanks for your feedback :)

Ooo! Question time? Yay!

1. is there a age restriction for characters?

2. are characters that are expecting allowed?

3. Could a person think of mini arks or big arcs?

4. Would it be possible for a person to make a Major bad guy?

5. How many characters per person?

6. How many sentences per post?

I GOTZ MOAR BUT ONLY IF YA WANT!

@Quark

No problem, I can spoiler tag things in future :)

Oh man, he seems to draw inspiration from thin air. One of our favourite things to do over pints is come up with off the wall narrative structures, and see how to make them work, either for a once-off three hour game, a tabletop campaign, or play by post.

Could you clarify your answer to 1 again? Dimension hopping isn't necessarily fantasy specific; it's used quite a bit in scifi or horror genres. Or will this be more of a "several flavours of fantasy" kind of shift? Where you would move through high fantasy, low fantasy, some magical realism, wuxia, or maybe urban fantasy?

The main reason I ask is because serious genre-hopping without prior discussion could leave players feeling as though they were suddenly in a game that no longer resembled what they signed up for. I've observed people respond poorly to what they interpreted as a bait and switch in the past, and I wouldn't want to see it cost you players.

I reckon your idea of the characters "coming to" in new, different bodies with memories of the world around of them is the best way forward; it'll save your players from a load of flailing in the dark. Making brand new characters from scratch each time may defeat your intentions in regards to the dimension hopping though; after all, it'll be more fun if they can pick up clues to the overarching plot scattered across different worlds ~

@Alexandra

Ah, right ok.

Well,one of the other ways I want the genres to be different is with the assigned plot for each world. It's basically the plot that the characters are supposed to play. So the first one is a typical adventure quest,I was thinking something more of a crime thriller (where in a more urban fantasy setting) in another. Then in another set in a futuristic steampunk city, where people use advanced technology and magic in an never-ending war.

Those were just brief ideas jotted down. But it can easily change depending on the feedback I get from the other roleplayers.

I am aware of that. I'll make sure to emphasize that they might only want to reconsider making a new character if they are havint trouble connecting with their current one. Things like that do happen...
@GoldenChari

1. No age restriction, but if you're a baby no one is going to have the time to always look after you lol.

2. Pardon? Didn't really understand that :( EDIT: do you mean characters that are expecting children?

3. Arcs for the plot? I would encourage it. Gives a better idea of what everyone is looking for. Whether big or small arc, I'll need to do a sanity check on the logic.

4. Like a villain? Or just someone from the first world that was put into the role of the bad guy in the next one? The latter is definitely possible. Im happy to have someone play the villains with me.

5. I don't cap numbers but I wouldn't advise more than 2. This doesn't include NPCs that the RPer wants to roleplay as.

6. Don't care how many sentences. I'm not a writer so my post length varies depending on how important the scene is. (Average 5-9 sentences). All I do want is a reasonable amount of detail.
You can ask more but I might respond a little late. Drowned in work this and next week. T.T

@Alexandra

On second thoughts based on what you've told me...

I might revolve the other plots around the magic powers that the main characters have. You made a good point that the RP could easily derail into pure sci-fi which wouldn't make it a proper fantasy RP anymore.

I'll have to give some more thoughts to this.

Quark said:
@GoldenChari
1. No age restriction, but if you're a baby no one is going to have the time to always look after you lol.

2. Pardon? Didn't really understand that :( EDIT: do you mean characters that are expecting children?

3. Arcs for the plot? I would encourage it. Gives a better idea of what everyone is looking for. Whether big or small arc, I'll need to do a sanity check on the logic.

4. Like a villain? Or just someone from the first world that was put into the role of the bad guy in the next one? The latter is definitely possible. Im happy to have someone play the villains with me.

5. I don't cap numbers but I wouldn't advise more than 2. This doesn't include NPCs that the RPer wants to roleplay as.

6. Don't care how many sentences. I'm not a writer so my post length varies depending on how important the scene is. (Average 5-9 sentences). All I do want is a reasonable amount of detail.
You can ask more but I might respond a little late. Drowned in work this and next week. T.T
Yes expecting children xD

I got some new characters i got in mind. the latter situation you said, I LIKE DAT TOO!

And okie.

@GoldenChari

Nothing wrong with making a character like that in the later arcs, but your character might have less chances to engage with the others since they would probably be advised to rest at home LOL. The other thing is... they might no longer be expecting once they do a time jump...Their (future) child is not a playable character and will not be sent to the next world.

You have characters in mind already? O.o I've barely done much development so far.

A rough outline of the settings is added below. I might have to adjust the main summary a little in the beginning, since my image of Lexaria has changed a little due to some plot idea adjustments.

On their own, hopefully they can somewhat stand as settings with a few more details added on. Unfortunately, I can't really show how I'm going to tie the worlds/threads together, but magic and abilities are significant for the plot. If anyone finds anything questionable please let me know.

Setting 1

Arc I: (Where it all begins)

Erminia is a continent in a fantasy medieval setting, like in Rune Factory or Avalon Code. Cities are all under the rule of the monarchy. Although the cloud of darkness in the sky is foreboding whenever the weather is clear, one doesn't really feel the presence of danger in the cities. It is only when travelling between the cities that one should be wary that they may be ambushed by monsters. The cities have been stirring up uneasy rumours about the cloud, as there has been unverified news that some villages have been attacked recently by these monsters. These monsters will be introduced later, some of them might be recurring, and are similar to what you would find in a typical RPG (goblins, werewolves, sand golems, evil blood-sucking bats, etc).

The temple of the sun is located at the heart of the city of Ifrit. At night, this city is the brightest as light from the temple is projected to all directions of the city.

Most people have a magic affinity, to a particular element or type of magic. However, the magic effect is small most of the time, so it's not very practical. Some are able to be apprenticed (or afford an education) to build up a few magic skills for a profession. The most common would be healing magic, curse magic or summoning rituals. The three mentioned would generally require a staff with magic gems embedded to enhance the magic effect. The gem can be used multiple times but will fade after several years.

Won't be diving too much into the history yet, but records say Lexaria was once part of Erminia. It was once a land that broke off. There is not much written about the land in the current archives. One of them mentions this was where magic was originated from. The other is that the main population in the past were covens of witches. It is near impossible to get to Lexaria for quite some time now. Technology (like airships) are rare, and also the land is currently shut out due to the density of dark creatures crawling there.

All main characters are from Erminia. Those who don't have magic will have a better physical advantage than those who do. Those who have magic skills can have up to 4 skills.

Setting 2

Arc II:

This is set in a more realistic setting, in a fictional city in an European country (similar to Fuyuki city from Fate series). The weather is generally rainy or cloudy, and the rather gothic buildings gives the place a rather gloomy look. During the day there are more people, but after sunset the streets can become very dangerous. The crime rate at the city is quite high, with several criminal factions in the districts.

What the common harmless citizen doesn't realise is the undercurrent danger that there are some individuals with powers, or magic abilities. Some of these whom are the very same criminals that are causing chaos in the city. These abilities don't require a gem, but only expend their energy. The most of the effects of the magic can actually be used for something. For example, if someone had an affinity to manipulating water, they can adjust the temperature of a body of water within some temperature range. There is a criminal who is stirring up agitation among the Factions, named "Xavier". Among the network of people who do have powers, they suspect that Xavier is also one of them.

The characters from Arc I shall have these additional powers. If they already know magic, then they can only gain one additional power. Their previous magic skills will be enhanced and no longer need gems. Others who did not know magic can have up to three. Characters from Arc I will also have varying amounts of memories from the previous world. One of my characters will start as a clean slate and gradually gain their memories back.

Setting 3

Arc III:

A futuristic city with cutting-edge technology. The weather is usually clear, but the sky is always dark as the sky only has an artifical sun. The artificial sun's brightness is similar to that of the moon. Walking home robots are not common yet, but there has been huge advancements in the military and medical field. Like in Arc II, the city is far from peaceful and there is a growing fear among the public of these "mutated" humans with powers. They have no idea how some of them suddenly became like this, and the police force have apprehended some of them to be sent to the research facilities.

Some of these people have rather subtle abilities, but can be rather destructive (ie. large-scaled) like any of the others. For example, enclosing a sealed boundary around a living human at will. This includes sealing the limited amount of oxygen, hence if the boundary isn't lifted soon the human could die... Currently scientists are naming these abilities as "scientific witchcraft". Once someone is familiar with the concepts of their ability, they can adjust the scale of the powers and violate the very laws of the cosmos.

The public have branded these individuals as dangerous, and most are in preference that they be caught as soon as possible. Meanwhile many of them still try to escape from the police, but with increasing difficulty as more drones are sent, and the government is funding for more weapons to be used to destroy or arrest them.

Each character from Arc I and Arc II shall only gain one ability. Everyone will be in danger of being caught by the police and their advanced soldier machines.

Setting 4

Arc IV: (magic number 4. HUE)

A somewhat undeveloped place where there is no such thing as the sea. There are only islands, clouds and sky. These islands that float in the sky vary in size and are different distances apart from each other. The culture is similar to Ancient China and Japan, and the low population of people are rather conservative. They are very superstitious and often have practices and rituals to ward of evil spirits. These spirits, or yokai, can be found out in the wild, and some even within their very homes. The yokai will be introduced into the RP bit by bit. Some of the most common would be the kappa, or the ushi-oni.

Each city or village will have their respective shrine, and one or a group of shamans to protect the people from yokai. Shamans and priests are not the only ones in demand. With houses and buildings constantly torn down, there has been an increase of jobs offered for rebuilding for those who are unfortunate. Some of these jobs include carpentry, construction, childcare in orphanages. One of the most dangerous would be a traveler that delivers goods between cities and islands.

Quark said:
Don't care how many sentences. I'm not a writer so my post length varies depending on how important the scene is. (Average 5-9 sentences). All I do want is a reasonable amount of detail.
I wish more people would embrace that attitude.

But then I wish more people who consider themselves writers would learn how to write efficiently.

The sketches of the settings look reasonable, although 'scientific witchcraft' made me snort; sounds like a bad translation.

The consistency of the magic with power fluctuations is neat. Have you seen my magic system design tutorial? It's in So You Want To Write; might be useful for hammering down some of those details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back