Though the Soul May Die, The Legend Still Burns [BURN LEGEND]

Book Jacket

Welcome to the world of Burn Legend. In brief, the setting is modern Earth with a fusion of the cosmologies of Kung fu, Buddhism, and Exalted. The common man has hints and clues that there is a larger supernatural martial arts world teeming under the thin veneer of normalcy, but most just ignore it and go about their business. There are the Mugen, spirited warriors of great puissance; Akuma, fighters tainted by the demon Yama Kings; Yamajin, those who have taken the techniques of the Yama Kings for themselves; The Okami, descendants of the moon spirit that protect life from the excesses of man; The Ryuujin, elementally empowered martial artists who protect the spirit realm; Tennin, warriors that have made a pact with the Shinma for the power to fight demons; and Shinigami, champions of death sent by the injured Earth to avenge its spiritual wounds; and of course preternaturally skilled mortals functioning without any higher spiritual power. Omicron has posted some great fiction for Burn Legend over at the Official WW forums, real evocative stuff that lines up with my view of Burn Legend.

Every four years the Burn Legend Tournament is held. Well, held isn't entirely the right term, it occurs. Fighters from around the globe are tapped, and given the name of another fighter that they are to defeat. The rumor is that the victor has a chance at immortality, but whether that is just an analogy for fame no one knows.

Treatment

This is going to be a tournament held using the Burn Legend Rules presented in Shards of the Exalted Dream, if you are interested and do not have the book, we can see if we can work something out. Since this is a brand new system, no one is really proficient yet. This tournament would be as serious as a fighting game, so weird or jokey characters are cool. If you want to be Akuma Lady Gaga, Mugen David Beckham, or Yamajin Richard Nixon, by all means please. After the initial tournament helping us all familiarize ourselves with the setting and system we would most likely segue into a more traditional game.

I plan on experimenting with a travel system to determine fights, in lieu of a traditional bracket or round robin. Player's will be assigned another player's name, every round they will either Advance to their targets location by way of named background (for flavor mostly) or Stay put and let their pursuer come to them. I guess you could also move to some other location for a change of scenery or roleplay purposes. If multiple contestants locate one another simultaneously, multi-person combat may ensue. Once you defeat your target, your new target is your previous target's target. If you defeat your attacker, by way of magic their pursuer's card transforms to reveal you. So on and so forth until there is one contestant left standing. In the event that through the machinations of the travel mechanic someone would not fight a round, I will offer them a chance to change their selection to Advance so that they don't have to sit on their hands waiting for everyone else's fights to end. If they refuse, I will either let them sit a round out, or a mystery event will occur, like a car, or barrels, or something much more interesting.

Since I will have a horse in this race, as it were, whenever I compete the match will be refereed by a third party that is not involved in the contest. Actions will be PMed to the referee who then notifies the winner of primacy and or roll-off, giving them the green light to post in their thread. Also, since I will be participating and the temptation could prove too great, everyone's character sheets will be public.

THE WHEEL OF FATE IS TURNING! HEAVEN OR HELL? LET'S BURN!

Edit: removed the dice roll from the travel mechanic in order to cut back on non-events.

OHBOY, BURN LEGEND!

...please? I want to weasel my way in here tooooooooooooo! I have no idea what I'd play yet, everything is so tasty-fun. Hmmmmmm.

I notice you don't mention Okami at all in your pitch. Is there a reason for that?

AVOIDANCE KATA!.... Wait, that doesn't exist in Burn Legend. Damnit!

Accidents happen. Editing in Okami now... :oops:

Edit: You're welcome to the game! I'm thinking the tournament aspect will be completely open. If it gets ridiculous I'll try and enlist extra referees. If/when it segues into a standard game I might slim it down.

Oh hey cool, Okami. Hmmmmm.

Nope, still no idea what to play. xD

...well okay, maybe one, but I'm not sure I want to just crib my guy from Lafing Cat's tourney (I don't care if everyone knows what he does already) or if it would even be kosher...how would you feel about custom content? There's quite a number of martial arts styles not currently printed for BL, and I know there's at least one thread on the WW forums for homebrewing them.

I'm totally down with custom content; I was actually looking over the techniques last night with an eye for balance, and it's pretty straight forward.

Eh. I'll probably make a variation on (or just use) the Okami I entered in Lafing Cat's tourney. He's not in the main tourney bracket so it'll be quite a bit before he even gets there.

Thank you for pointing this out to me. You may have a strawberry.

More seriously, I'm definitely going with some class of Ryuujin, but not sure what kind yet. Probably Air, Water or Wood.

I really thought about making a Ryuujin (Ky and Jin have been standby characters for a loooooooooong time), but I'm drawn to emulating Makoto Nanaya with Mugen boxing power. Well, that and I really like the Okami I've built for the charity bit. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut....committing to one idea is hard lol.

You guys have all seen https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AufzLa2-o-DSdEtHUGlqV1JZenk4QWtsZEU0UVlMWWc#gid=0 right? I can't remember who made it originally, but it calculates all your pools and stuff for you which is handy.

I'm leaning towards Water or Air - Wood seems like it's potentially really powerful but combos aren't immediately apparent. I assume standard character creation?

EDIT: I see you're running public sheets - while that's fine with me, I assume it's not considered metagaming to use that knowledge in-game? It's easily justified - if we're on a mystic quest to hunt one another down, we'd probably study any known styles and capabilities the characters possess.

Yeah, since I'm going to be playing a character in the tournament I didn't want there to be any question of an unfair advantage. Use your better judgement and good taste.

Game approved and set to awaiting players.

When you feel that you have enough players to move on to the creation process please do let me know!

Oh yeah, one more question - assuming this is seguing into a campaign, what do people do when eliminated from the tournament? You seem to have an elimination setup.

I'm in. Probably with a Yamajin, but lets see if I come up with a fun Tennin en-route

Chaka said:
Oh yeah, one more question - assuming this is seguing into a campaign, what do people do when eliminated from the tournament? You seem to have an elimination setup.
Just because you are out of the tournament, doesn't mean you are out of the game... unless someone gives you the old coup de grace. I'd be willing to play out whatever side stories result from the tournament: Maybe your character doesn't give up on the mystery of the tournament and attempts to follow the contestants to its culmination, or whatever.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Game approved and set to awaiting players.
When you feel that you have enough players to move on to the creation process please do let me know!

[/QUOTE]
This is enough to get started on getting a forum up. I know a couple other people expressed interest, so I won't close enrollment until the last second most likely. Off to the ST forum~!

e/ or should I wait until we are officially approved before I make a forum submission?

magnificentmomo said:
Just because you are out of the tournament, doesn't mean you are out of the game... unless someone gives you the old coup de grace. I'd be willing to play out whatever side stories result from the tournament: Maybe your character doesn't give up on the mystery of the tournament and attempts to follow the contestants to its culmination, or whatever.
Fortunately, as a DCU agent, I have a built in reason to stay around, the government probably wants my guy to keep an eye on these people.

magnificentmomo said:
This is enough to get started on getting a forum up. I know a couple other people expressed interest, so I won't close enrollment until the last second most likely. Off to the ST forum~!

e/ or should I wait until we are officially approved before I make a forum submission?
This game has been approved, please proceed to the storytellers area to begin the creation process!

Enjoy :) !

Even though you don't need more interest here, I just wanted to let the ST know I'm very interested and will post a character when the forum comes up. ^_^

This... Tekken meets Assassin's Creed feel is very unique and I've wanted to play with Burn Legend since I saw it. Deciding what to make is going to drive me crazy, though :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back