This is a story about how Mendor and Topaz met. They are the mother and father of Tusk, Stormlight's

Tribal Dancer

This is a story about how Mendor and Topaz met. They are the mother and father of Tusk, Stormlight's father.

This is a story about how Mendor and Topaz met. They are the mother and father of Tusk, Stormlight's father.

Mendor traveled in stealth across this new land. He came upon a forest of tall trees with great wide trunks. It was impressive to him since he’s spent most of his life with the desert dwellers. He hadn’t eaten for a couple of days and hunger drove him forward.

They watched him from the cover of the canopy of the trees. They ‘lock sent’ to the other scouts of the presence of a stranger in their Holt. More feral elven eyes watched him from the cover of the dense underbrush. Their Chieftain nodded to his second in approval of this strangers hunting ability as Mendor’s aim did not miss as he took down a rabbit with his bow from some distance.

After Mendor skinned the rabbit and was taking his fill, when the Chieftain stepped out into the open. Mendor dropped the meal and jumped to his feet already reaching for his dagger.

"Do you make it a habit to hunt in another tribes territory?" The Chieftain stood tall and his eyes were golden and stern.

"I …I didn’t know…the HighOnes they…" Mendor was startled but at the same time encouraged that there were other tribes in this land of escape that the HighOnes brought him to. At this time he saw the other scouts all around each bearing a bow ready and aimed to protect their Chieftain who approached boldly unarmed.

"The HighOnes? You are one of us? What tribe do you hail from? Speak up!" The Chieftains eyes looked hard at the young intruder.

"No…I mean yes…well ..maybe." Mendor fumbled with his words as he tried to decide how much he should and should not tell. He straightened up and spoke clearly. He knew he had to gain their confidence fast or else. "The HighOnes gave me a vision to leave my desert tribe and go far far away. They led me to this land. I seek a new tribe."

The Chieftain looked Mendor over. "HighOnes eh?" The Chieftain was well aware of how the HighOnes worked their will amoung them. He reached out his hand to Mendor. "I’m Stormfist. I am Chieftain of Briarholt."

As soon as Mendor took Stormfist’s hand the bows of the scouts were lowered. "I’m Mendor. I come from the village of the Silver Sands."

"Come Mendor! We will talk of bringing you into our tribe if that be your intent. Share a feast with us this night!" Stormfist smiled wide and wolfishly.

Mendor gathered his things and traveled with his new friends. Along the way he reminded himself that he must still be careful not to reveal too much for fear of rejection.

That night there was a warm fire at the center of the holt. Everyone wanted to meet the new arrival. Mendor was invited to sit with Stormfist and his lifemate, Rosewine. Good meat and dream berry wine was abundant. Trays of fruits and nuts were passed around.

Mendor was introduced to the hunters and he discussed with them his own experiences in the hunt amoung other skills. When it was learned that he could play instruments he was urged to play. Mendor resisted at first, but soon gave in with a grin. He didn’t have any instruments with him so he was offered the lyre. He listened to the other musicians and joined in with ease.

Bit by bit dancers gathered around the fire. Male and female dressed in gossamer and silk. They swirled and weaved in and out around the fire, jumping and leaping with zeal. One female in particular danced before the musicians turning and swiveling her lovely full hips as she raised her hands up through her long auburn curls. Her laughing azure eyes stayed on Mendor’s mind long after the feasting had ended. As the dawn came the entire holt sought out their dens to sleep the day away. Only a few scouts remained on guard as Mendor bedded down in the tree den provided for him.

The hot sun season passed as Mendor got to know the tribe and seek out his place among them. Whenever the chance arose his attentions gravitated to that same maiden with the laughing azure eyes.

Topaz returned to the holt after a long day of gathering herbs and plants to dry for the winter storage. The leaves made a light crunching sound beneath her feet. She hummed to herself wondering what Mendor was doing right then. She’d liked him from the first time she saw him. She was aware that she spent less and less time with her long time suitor, Winterclaw. Who could blame her? Mendor was so….unique. He had this way about him that just drew you in.

She slipped into the pool below the falls. After a thorough washing she floated on her back. The moon’s rays traveling across her skin like a lover. Droplets of water glistened like diamonds on her skin. Long auburn curls swirling around her form. She then dives and spins through the deep waters, racing the fish and playing tag with the otters.

Winding through the forest of Briar holt he hears the now familiar sounds of the falls which will lead him to his destination. He’d picked up her scent some time back and didn’t send to her because he wanted to surprise her. There at the pool’s edge he saw her foot prints and her scent told him she was here. Before stripping down he looked around for signs of danger. With none present he stripped off his leathers and dove in eager to be with her. The refreshing waters reach every part of his body as breaks the surface shaking his mane about.

Topaz halted there beneath the water as she feels the disturbance above. She grins wickedly as realizes it’s him. From the dark depths she shoots forward like a barracuda, yanking his leg and dragging him down again! She lets him go and races to the surface for air and springs up through the water’s surface, gulping air and diving back in. She-wolf smiled as she passed by and circled around him.

**My eyes see with joy!** she greeted Mendor in sending.

**Is this how you greet everyone?** he smirked in playful reply.

Suddenly he grabbed her foot and with powerful arms he swam to the shore with her in tow. It was futile for her to try kicking free of his determined grip. He took her up his arms, kicking and snarling not willing to give in to him. He shook his mane and splattered her face then dropped her on the muddy bank. She gasped and glared up at his grinning muzzle. Mud splatted on his chest and gave a defiant smile, pearly fangs glinting in the morning light.

Azure fire blazed in her eyes reflecting the fire in his. He was stunning and proud but she would make him prove it and even remind him not to take things for granted as she flung another fist of mud at him.

He shook the mud from his chest and jumps on her and after a slippery tussle he rolls her belly. Only stopping a moment to get a better hold of his slick skinned ‘prey’. He nipped her at her neck, being careful not to bite too hard….this time.

She jerked her arm back trying to elbow him and she winced at the feel of his fangs upon her neck. It filled her with a mixture of fear and thrill.

**You need another bath!** He taunted with a lick up along her pointed ear just before shoving her back into the pool.

He stood and began walking back into the pool towards her, the water rising up along his muscular legs. His head framed by the light of the two moons and dropplets of water shine like little suns in the night. He rose over her awaiting her next move. His confidence solid and he half growled showing his fangs. He would not be made a fool of, even at play.

With awe in her jewel blue eyes she watched his, though not as directly as one would if in a challenge. She knows even though she is not without her strength his is more powerful….except for her stubbornness. She rolled back and kicked his feet out from under him, knowing she will pay dearly for it but the look on his sputtering face was worth it!

He grabbed her and spun her around in a sudden burst of energy, pinned both her arms behind her. His teeth locked at her throat. He waited till she relaxed and gave up her resistance. His blood raced with the thrill of this contest of their wills.

With slow caution she moved forward when he released her, knowing she dare not test him anymore. She didn’t need to. Masses of wet red-brown curls draped down her shoulders and pooled all around her in the water. She watched his heaving broad shoulders and her gaze wandered down his abs. She could feel the sting of where he bit her so aggressively. She found him worthy of her respect and desire.

Topaz reached out her hand **Mendor…I wish to cease this mock battle…clearly you have proved to me that you are quite the alpha male.**

Mendor took her hand and nuzzled her quickly to let her know that things were well and that his work was not in vain. He could not help but notice her as a beautiful figure outlined in the moon light. **You have proved a challenge and I have new found respect for your fighting abilities and tenaciousness of heart.**

She looked up at him and nuzzled his jaw and softly mrrrrrrrs. **I would not have one that could not prove himself** Her hands slid up his chest and her damp curls caressed his thigh. A new warmth grew between them.

They were inseparable and soon became Lovemates.

Several moons later……

Topaz rose up with the morning light reflecting in aqua hued eyes. Her long auburn curls unfurled around her as the cool air brought her lovemate’s remaining scent to her attention. She reached to where he was and a look of mild dismay masked her face at finding him gone already. She knew he was only a ‘thought’ away. Dressing quickly she then made her way to that particular tree to begin her work. She laid her hands lovingly to the bark and sings to it as very slowly the wood begins to yield to the shaping magic of her skilled hands. After some time the sun had risen high and she sat down on what looked like an opening with smooth rounded stairs leading into their future tree home. She was having a drink from her water skin and eating some nuts and berries when a shadow covered her face.

With a soft thud the male wolfrider landed beside her. He was tall with rippling muscles across his sleek masculine frame. Very wolfish yellow-gold eyes shown in contrast to his pale skin. White, jagged bangs fell across his forehead with the sides drawn back in a leather band at the back of his head. The rest of his white hair fell free down his back in thick waves. Winterclaw he was named for his hair and the bear claw hanging around his neck from a leather cord.

Winterclaw curled back his lips and then snorted at the scent of another male mingled with hers. He looked at the work she’d done with the tree and with a sigh he brushed his fingers along her cheek. **This should be our home**

**I’ve chosen and you know this** she stated pushing back his hand standing up.

**How could you? He can’t know you like I do** Winterclaw’s eyes seek hers out.

**Yes he does …and more** Her eyes seem to shimmer at this thought.

**I just won’t let this outsider walk in and take you from me! Topaz I will prove that I’m the better choice!** Winterclaws sending was intense and full of determination.

**Winterclaw what are you talking about? Don’t you do something foolish!** Topaz planted her hands on her hips and growls knowing this isn’t good.

Winterclaw took off through the forest knowing this outcast’s scent as he hunts for his trail. He will make this perceived intruder pay for this insult to his pride. He will drive this male away if that is what it will take to have her back.

Topaz ‘lock sent’ to Mendor urgently. She scented the air and leaped into the branches of the trees. Swift as a squirel she traveled from tree to to tree top. She had to find her Lovemate first. **Mendor! <<alarm>> …Winterclaw is after you!**

Mendor sniffed the air and felt that something was amiss. ** I am near. Do not be afraid ** He lock sent back to her. He turned quickly, heading towards the one he loves. As he darted through the forest, his eyes begin to burn fiery amber, thoughts of losing the one reason for entering this tribe shot through his mind.

As the forest clears he could see his mate at the edge of the trees. His eyes now red as blood, his heart pounding viciously against his chest. Lips all but gone showing the sharp fangs which will defend his prized possession to the death without hesitation. There is no longer room for fear in his heart, only the battle at hand.

Topaz saw her mate and hoped this would not have to come to blows, but she knew it was too much to hope for. She began to make her way down from the tree. **Mendor! Thank the HighOnes! You’re alri…** she sends openly but is cut short when she sees Winterclaw enter the clearing in a heated rush at his target.

Mendor spots his foe entering from the east into the clearing and crouches low. He looks Winterclaw in the eyes, challenging openly. **She has chosen me! I in turn have chosen her. I do not wish to harm you. Heed my warning and return to your den or I will show you the power of my love for her by tasting of your blood!** His eyes firmly focused on every movement Winterclaw made.

Topaz’s heart raced as she watched the males locked in a ‘challenge’ stare.

**You dare threaten me? I will drive you from this place! <<RAGE>>** Winterclw lunged at Mendor, sending the two of them rolling across the grass. Topaz cringed and pressed back against the tree. Winterclaw threw a punch and caught Mendor’s left jaw. **She was to be mine!** Winterclaw ‘locksends’ so that only Mendor can hear as his fist lands on his jaw. The two of them like a white storm and dark thunder.

Mendor felt the pain from his first advance, surprised at Winterclaw’s strength. Mendor kicked and freed himself. He lock sent to Winterclaw **The HighOnes led me to her …she will never be yours <<fury>>** Mendor strikes with vengeance to Winterclaw’s right side, launching himself forward to gain and advantage found himself over Winterclaw. With a snap of the jaw he caught the left ear tip. Feeling the puncture in his mouth, he shook his head from side to side.

Others of the holt emerged from the cover of the forest underbrush. Chieftain Stormfist , the hunters Twilight and Cil to mention a few. Gentlestorm and Amber see to Topaz, their best friend, knowing how distressed she must be. None try to stop the fighting though. Such is the Way. The two warriors grappled for dominance as arms, eyes and minds are locked fast in this battle of might and wills. **Give it up!! She will see I am the strongest** Winterclaw locksends with dark anger pressing Mendor’s mind as his hands pressed him back. Sweat poured down his face and he growled deeply.

Mendor has not noticed the others who have been summoned by the fierce battle. **Never! My strength is beyond yours! <<confidence>>** Mendor could feel the adrenaline rush. His eyes now black as the new moon’s night. He could not fail, for to fail was to die. He quickly glanced at Topaz, still backed against the tree. Turned to Winterclaw and his lips once again disappear as he growled a growl of a hundred growls. His fangs at the ready. He kicked Winterclaw on the side of his face. The both of them landed on the grass and Mendor goes to roll on top of his foe, but Winterclaw was too quick.

Winterclaw back flipped and got to his feet again, face already beginning to swell. The sting and shock shaking his nerves for but a moment. He leaped at Mendor before he had a chance to rise to his feet. Winterclaw pulled and twisted with all his might to flip his opponent over and pin him into submission. **You really want to die this day don’t you?** Winterclaw locksent and growled as he wrenched Mendor around.

Mendor now for first time since his battle with his father, he felt fear creeping into his heart. The visions of the battle flash through his mind. There was a way to win. Expose his throat just enough to allow Winterclaw to go in for the kill. Mendor will strike then. Winterclaw may have been of equal power, but not of the mind. A calm came over Mendor as he locksent to Winterclaw **I will not live without the one that you fight for. I will die first! Kill me now if you dare** Mendor exposed his throat careful to keep his jaws open as he gasps for breath.

"Oh HighOnes! No!!!" Topaz screamed out in shrill elven voice as she saw in disbelief what her beloved mate was doing. Her friends held her back when she jerked forward. She gave in knowing it would not do to be torn apart as they are in their rage and would very likely end up striking her.

Winterclaw’s hot golden eyes flashed. His snarl was horrible as he thrusted into Mendor’s neck sure he was about to end this battle once and for all.

Mendors eyes were transparent showing defeat as he sees his life saving chance. Just as Winterclaw went in for the kill his throat will also be exposed to the waiting jaws of his foe. Any delay, lapse in judgement, error of any kind will spell certain death to Mendor. He saw Winterclaw’s fangs flash by. There was his chance. He must be quicker! Mendor in one motion turned in and clamped down on his mark. Winterclaw was shocked as he hung in Mendor’s death grip.

**You, Topaz, must choose this night our destiny. If Winterclaw is your true choice I will release my hold. If you choose me then I have won and will finish this fight** Mendor’s sending is tired but serious.

Sweat covers both fighter’s as if under a waterfall. Mendor knew he cannot be defeated by Winterclaw, but only Topaz’s decision.

Fright griped her and she felt she herself could die right then. She trembled visibly at the horror before her…blood dripping down their throats. She nearly forgets to breath and then her lovemate’s sending roused her from her stunned state. **Again I choose Mendor! I belong to him as he to me!** Her answer is swift and open so all hear it. **But…no elf must die even your enemy if it can be avoided** she addss and waits for this battle to draw to it’s close as Mendor has triumphed over his foe. Winterclaw mentally cringed and what fire he had leaves him defeated. Shame over comes him.

Mendor reacted instantly to the choice and clamps down harder on his foe. Mendor snarls locksending to him **Choose your path. Give up and leave never to return and I shall spare your life or I will finish you off!**

**She is yours. There is no place for me here anymore…you have my word <<humiliation>>** Winterclaw locksent and was ready to leap away as soon as Mendor saw fit to release him.

Mendor released his death grip, slowly rose to his feet to watch Winterclaw run in defeat. He looked to his lovemate and gave a great howl in triumph before falling to the ground in exhaustion.

Winterclaw ran from the clearing and Stormfist sent Twilight after him to see him out of the borders of the holt. The chieftain calls Rainsong, the healer, to see to Mendor’s wounds. Already Topaz had dropped on her knees to cradle her lovemate’s limp body in her arms. She sends loving and comforting thoughts to ease his mind. She only loosened her hold long enough to allow the healer room to place her hands on him and let her healing magic flow through him lessening pain and healing cuts. Rainsong’s hands ceased their glowing as she cames out of her trance. **Thankyou healer. HighOnes bless you!** Topaz sent greatfully. She gazed into his eyes as joyful tears fell down her cheek and neck. **It is over my lovemate. No more will you be denied my love** She kissed him softly.

**I have all that I need in you** he sends, feeling the soft lips caress his cheek. Sends to Rainsong **Thankyou for your kindness** He raised his head to meet his lover’s lips then laid his head gently on her lap as if ready sleep. Then locksends to Stormfist **Thankyou for allowing me to enter your tribe. I ask your permission to remain here to be with my lovemate, Topaz. I will help defend this tribe the same as I would defend my mate, Topaz** Mendor looked up at Topaz with loving eyes thinking of his future with her, his eyes now pale blue.

Stormfist and the others had drawn ‘round to watch the healer’s work and see this fierce fighter who won the heart of one of their own. **You have earned your place. I expect you and Topaz to be present at tomorrow night’s Howl. She will explain it to you. Rest now…time for talking later** Stormfist replied privately to the young champion.

When he was able to stand again Topaz led Mendor to the den-like hollow she had formed inside the tree past the steps. **It is all I was able to do before I tired, but it will make a cozy place for us to sleep the day away in. In time I will form other rooms up in this tree home of ours** She settles down in the thick sleep furs beside him. She faced him and nuzzled under his chin. Feeling her warm, soft skin against him, he closed his eyes and fell into a deep sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back