• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

These new signature rules are stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dugym

One Thousand Club
I can't put a sign-off, a copyright statement, a quote, or promote some of my roleplays/threads all in one signature, even if it is still a small signature. And these image rules are stupid too. Quotes aren't as good as boring text, and the words on the image are unreadable at the super small size. The only reason I have this signature now is because I just haven't changed it. 

You need to loosen the outrageous signature restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they changed the signature rules recently.

Distracting Signatures -[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)] [/COLOR]We are relaxing the limits on signatures, but please try to keep to a reasonable length and format.  We're here to focus on your post, not your signature! IPS has a function that allows users to 'turn off' particular users' signatures and even all users' signatures.

I think they changed the signature rules recently.

Yeah, why make even more signature restrictions with the turn off option? Also, my signature isn't even distracting, and it wouldn't pass if you tried to make it under this new silly signature update.

I'm not the person to ask as I have them turned off. If you want to know why the restrictions are in place I'd ask the Staff.

I'm not the person to ask as I have them turned off. If you want to know why the restrictions are in place I'd ask the Staff.

Yeah, so I made this thread in hopes of them changing or at least getting a reasonable answer to the unnecessarily strict signature restrictions.

You have the weirdest problems with the site lol. Signatures are just there for kicks unless they're actually used for profiling your rp character like on a few other sites. 

Yeah, so I made this thread in hopes of them changing or at least getting a reasonable answer to the unnecessarily strict signature restrictions.

Likely they are not going to change them . If I had to take a stab the restrictions are for exactly the reasons stated in the rules. They don't want the sig to be too distracting

If you want to attract the staff, try tagging one of them. They're not just sitting there and waiting to answer people's questions as they are not paid staff. 

Either way, give them some time even if they haven't responded yet and you've tagged them and they're following the board. Like I said, they're not getting paid to answer questions. I'm sure you'll get an answer when one of them has time to give you one. 

In my personal opinion, there really aren't any specific signature guidelines that you need to follow anymore.  I'm a bit "old-school", so I automatically notify the staff team if I see uncontained signatures which exceed five lines of text or have ridiculously large images.  Other than that, you should be free to add any other desired content, provided it follows all of the other site's rules. :)

In my personal opinion, there really aren't any specific signature guidelines that you need to follow anymore.  I'm a bit "old-school", so I automatically notify the staff team if I see uncontained signatures which exceed five lines of text or have ridiculously large images.  Other than that, you should be free to add any other desired content, provided it follows all of the other site's rules. :)

It literally prevents you from exceeding 5 lines or using large images. Mine only exceeds the lines and has a larger image because I haven't changed it, and it is not a distracting signature at all.

We still use the "5 lines of text and 1 reasonably sized" image as a general guideline instead of a hard rule like it used to be. The reasoning being that a signature could be distracting in a different way, or be distracting even if it follows those guidelines, and its possible that a signature could exceed those limits and not be distracting.

Rpn is a writing site and signatures are not a necessary feature. We have these guidelines so the average user can enjoy the site as much as possible. We have the guidelines in place so everyones signatures are judged equally and in a similar fashion, and the guidelines are based off of experience.

If you have any constructive suggestions we'd love to hear them, but i can tell you now that we're not getting rid of this rule. It exists for a reason, like some other people have said. 

I'm sorry you feel dissatisfied with RPN's rules and regulations.

By RPN standards, however, a large image and large amounts of text is distracting.

Signature restriction were actually made less strict when updating the rules, not more. ^^; before, you couldn't have much of anything.

I'd like to take a moment to highlight the difference between constructive criticism and nonconstructive criticism. Constructive criticism explains how a change would benefit the user base and even provides ideas for alternatives. Nonconstructive criticism expresses discontent and emotion in a way that is often impolite.

"X is stupid" immediately causes staff - hell, pretty much anyone - to tune out and not take what you are saying seriously, because it implies you are baldly and bitterly ranting, which is not constructive.

In the future, please provide polite, productive suggestions for site improvement.

There's a user somewhere that has a LARGE picture as his signature. He's an alright guy, so it isn't him i'm hating on. It's just that every time I go to a thread he's active in, half the thread is COVERED by his impossibly large picture.

If anything, i want the old limits back. The gifs for for almost everything being allowed is starting to give me a headache too.

We still use the "5 lines of text and 1 reasonably sized" image as a general guideline instead of a hard rule like it used to be. The reasoning being that a signature could be distracting in a different way, or be distracting even if it follows those guidelines, and its possible that a signature could exceed those limits and not be distracting.

Rpn is a writing site and signatures are not a necessary feature. We have these guidelines so the average user can enjoy the site as much as possible. We have the guidelines in place so everyones signatures are judged equally and in a similar fashion, and the guidelines are based off of experience.

If you have any constructive suggestions we'd love to hear them, but i can tell you now that we're not getting rid of this rule. It exists for a reason, like some other people have said. 

I'm sorry you feel dissatisfied with RPN's rules and regulations.

By RPN standards, however, a large image and large amounts of text is distracting.

Signature restriction were actually made less strict when updating the rules, not more. ^^; before, you couldn't have much of anything.

I'd like to take a moment to highlight the difference between constructive criticism and nonconstructive criticism. Constructive criticism explains how a change would benefit the user base and even provides ideas for alternatives. Nonconstructive criticism expresses discontent and emotion in a way that is often impolite.

"X is stupid" immediately causes staff - hell, pretty much anyone - to tune out and not take what you are saying seriously, because it implies you are baldly and bitterly ranting, which is not constructive.

In the future, please provide polite, productive suggestions for site improvement.

I'm saying it literally and not figuratively prevents you from exceeding 5 lines or using large images. Like, if I try to edit my signature, it gives me an error message. Therefore, I cannot edit my signature without making it look boring.

When a signature takes up half of a person's post, it is distracting and your signature picture takes up half of some of these posts you're making here. If anything smaller than half of your post is boring, then I'm sorry you feel that way. 

I'm saying it literally and not figuratively prevents you from exceeding 5 lines or using large images. Like, if I try to edit my signature, it gives me an error message. Therefore, I cannot edit my signature without making it look boring.

ah, i've seen signatures with more than 5 lines before. ive also seen a signature with 20+ individual images. not sure what's going on, then.

either way these restrictions are in place for a reason, and the hard limitation had been around on the old site. the staff will discuss your suggestion to relax the limits, but we can't promise anything.

When a signature takes up half of a person's post, it is distracting and your signature picture takes up half of some of these posts you're making here. If anything smaller than half of your post is boring, then I'm sorry you feel that way. 

Again, you can disable my signature if you don't like it.

I'd like a sign-off, and I need a copyright statement, and I would like to promote some of my more important roleplays/threads. I also like inspirational content, so I like putting that content in my signature, but I like it to be flashy, like the quote in my signature. It adds for meaning in my opinion.

Also, I think anything in a spoiler should count as one line, considering it's in a spoiler, @Ghost.

Again, you can disable my signature if you don't like it.

I'd like a sign-off, and I need a copyright statement, and I would like to promote some of my more important roleplays/threads. I also like inspirational content, so I like putting that content in my signature, but I like it to be flashy, like the quote in my signature. It adds for meaning in my opinion.

Also, I think anything in a spoiler should count as one line, considering it's in a spoiler, @Ghost.

well, the staff will discuss this.

regarding the copyright thing, we do not allow plagarism of other people's work already, so I don't think you have to worry about that. if anyone steals any of your rps or anything, you should report it.

What happened to the site being about role playing? Signatures are distracting in a reading format and generally useless. It's annoying to scroll through on mobile too and personally it feels like a holdover from a less mature time. Would losing out on plastering a favorite anime image with a random quote over it really be a bad thing? 

What happened to the site being about role playing? Signatures are distracting in a reading format and generally useless. It's annoying to scroll through on mobile too and personally it feels like a holdover from a less mature time. Would losing out on plastering a favorite anime image with a random quote over it really be a bad thing? 

TELL EM, FRIXZ. TELL EM GOOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back