• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Wrong Way

evinca

The wall felt uncomfortably cold against his back, when there was only a thin fabric of his tank top between it and his brown skin. It was a little too cold for a sleeveless shirt, but he had forgot his jacket at home and didn't think it was worth it to go back just for that.

Maybe he should, though. The day was boring as hell, and even the cheap beer in his hand couldn't help it. The young man took a sip from the can and hated the taste. Had never liked it much, in fact. But today could be a good day to get drunk in any case.

They were hanging around their usual spot, near the only store of the area, almost blocking the sidewalk. The group of young men and a few women was a normal sight, since they had chosen this street and this block as their area. People living here were used to them, and would mostly just move on the other side of the street if they needed to pass the youths. They weren't a huge problem; sometimes somebody might get robbed, sometimes petty crimes and vandalism happened, sometimes somebody got picked on, but nothing too serious that would attract too much attention to them. They were just harmless enough to be left alone by cops, who had enough to take care of anyway.

There was only a few of them today on the corner of the store, only three young men and a girl. The atmosphere was lazy and bored, and they had nothing better to do than to smoke and watch people and cars passing by every once in a while, waiting for something interesting to happen.

Elijah looks back at the dark blue door of the apartment he'd just rented, the plaque reading 3-A seeming worn down with age, though he doesn't mind. The place may be fairly run down, but it's all he could afford. Even though his adoptive parents gave him $200 to start out in his adult life, all of that went to his security deposit and half of his first month's rent. And this was the cheapest place around... He knows he'd have to head out to get a job soon, even though he's never worked a day in his life, and he was quite the opposite of a people person. He was forced out of the house on his eighteenth birthday, and luckily found this place the very next day.

His blue/grey eyes have deep, dark bags beneath them, showing just how tired the young adult is. He lets out a sigh, releasing the door's handle finally and turning to walk down the hall, then the stairs. He'd seen a store not too far away, maybe a ten minute walk at most. He'd go by and see if they were in need of any new employees, even part-time would be sufficient for now.

As he gets downstairs he's greeted by the sight of a couple practically dry humping against the wall behind a dead potted plant that provides no cover, two leashed children being dragged behind a weary and fed-up looking woman, and of course the employee in charge of the front desk who's asleep at his post. The Spanish man could certainly see where this could once have been quite a lovely place, but now, it's only for those impoverished and/or involved in illegal activities. At least, that's how the stereotype of it would seem.

He quickly makes his way outside, the chilling breeze cutting straight down to his bones, courtesy of the ratty and worn jacket he wears. As he walks down the sidewalk he can't help the gnawing feeling in his gut that something may go wrong. The eerie lack of cars on the road or people walking the sidewalks didn't sit well with him, especially when the only signs of life he'd seen was the homeless people down alleys looking like the walking dead, and perhaps a cat or two walking past him.

Thankfully he soon sees the store up ahead, feeling much better when he sees the people standing outside it. Despite his significant lack of trust for other humans, he can't help but hope that these people honestly were kind, and wouldn't give him any sort of trouble. Soon enough he is close enough to see the cigarettes between their fingers and he drops his head, hoping not to make any eye contact as he goes to walk past, and into the store.

"Look," Nath said and nodded down the street. "Ain't that a new face?"

The young man turned his face towards the direction, blinking his brown eyes - and indeed, he had never seen the guy before. "Mm. Think so?" Cairo had time to notice how the new guy's gaze lingered in them before dropping quickly down, for whatever reason. No guts, huh? He didn't move his curious gaze away from the stranger before he disappeared inside the store, out of sight.

Nathan took a drag from his cigarette. "Maybe we gotta go and give him a warm welcome, hm? Would be kinda rude if we didn't."

The words made Cairo grin and pour the last of the beer down his throat. "I'm on it," he smirked, throwing the can carelessly away and scratching his short, brown hair a little. Before going, he snatched Nath's cigarette and just barely dodged his fist, laughing at his annoyed cursing, since the younger man was out of his reach already. "Think you're faster than me, huh?" Apart from fast, Cairo was also muscular young man, with a tan skin and the whitest, brightest smile you could imagine, a smile that he easily flashed around.

As he entered the store, he gave one of those white, innocent smiles to the shop assistant as well, who frowned at the cigarette in his hand, but in the end didn't say anything. See? That innocent smile works every time! But he wasn't here to test it. Cairo glanced around to find the newbie, and quickly spotted him. The young man walked casually towards him, knowing that his friends were probably watching through the dusty window of the store.

"Hey," he grinned, lifting the cigarette up to his lips. Instead of stopping behind a respective distance, he stepped a little bit too close to the unknown guy, just close enough to make it feel a little uncomfortable. He blew smoke to the guy's face. "You live nearby, buddy? Never seen you around."

The bell that goes off overhead when the door is opened made Elijah look back, and noticing one of the guys from outside has him quickly looking away once more. He'd brought a cigarette indoors... Clearly he's not someone Elijah would want to get himself mixed up with. So he quickly looks down again, busying himself with the little keychains hanging on a jewelry tree.

At the sound of a voice he turns around, heart beating rapidly against his chest and eyes wide in fear. He was almost close enough to be considered touching the other man, and it terrified him. He takes a few steps back before the other's words register in his mind. Being called 'buddy' causes several images to flash past his eyes, making him flinch back and roll his shoulders forward, looking like nothing more than a terrified child. A fact that doesn't help his appearance being his baby face, causing him to appear no older than fifteen or sixteen. "Y-Yeah... I just m-moved into an apartment not f-far from here..." He swallows hard, trying to get his trembling under control but to no avail.

New people terrify the young man, simply put. One of the many reasons his adoptive family kicked him out the very moment they were able. "I-um.. I don't want t- any trouble..." He tries to raise his head, look the other in the eye, but he can't. No matter how hard he tries to force himself it's as if there were some sort of physical block put on his eyes, his neck, resisting against his attempts to look any higher than the collar of his shirt. "I just.. Came down to.. T-To look for a job..."

Tch. Clearly no guts. Look at the guy! Acts like Cairo had just slammed his head to the wall, even though he didn't even touch the stranger. Didn't lay a finger on him. Yet.

Apartment, huh? Not far from here. Well, well, well. Looks like they were going to see this little fucker around more, who knew. "Yeah? That's cool. Always nice to have new faces around, y'know," he commented casually, shrugging.

It was... kind of strange. Cairo was being pretty nice guy so far, wasn't he? He thought he was. Maybe a bit of planned intimidation, a bit of smoke, a bit of a showing off, but... Nothing serious. Just a little harmless game, that's all. Testing this guy a little. So why did this guy look so scared all of sudden? It almost made Cairo frown in confusion, almost even hesitate a little. But just almost. It was nice to be scary without trying, and it could give him a nice boost of confidence - something he badly needed, even if it was hard to guess - but he couldn't still be that scary. Heck, he didn't-

A sudden, loud bang made him lift his gaze, and he saw that Nath had banged his fist against the window of the store, watching them with the others. The blonde man gave them both the finger from the other side of the window, and Cairo lifted his finger back to him. Come on, still the cigarette? Oh please.

Cairo turned back to look at the other guy, breathing in the smoke - more or less in order to tease Nath. His gaze inspected the newbie from head to toe without any hurry. "Want no trouble, huh? Yeah, that's what they always say," he scoffed. "Maybe you've moved in the wrong place, buddy, who knows. So, how's it goin'? Lookin' for job, I mean."

Elijah could feel tears building in his eyes the longer he was around this stranger. He hadn't done anything to seem cruel, but it was the fact that he didn't know him... He was terrified that the man could flip at any moment and turn into a murdering psychopath. Though it wasn't that likely, it was always a possibility.

He flinches again when he hears banging on the window, his eyes moving up slightly to see, just in time to notice the two guys flipping one another off, then the one in the store with him taking a drag off the cigarette. Certainly not something Elijah was thrilled to be around for... When he notices the brunette looking at him his gaze immediately drops, and his next words make the smaller man flinch back again.

"T-This is... The first... T-The first place... I've seen..." The tears that had welled up were starting to fall now, being told that he'd moved to the wrong place... The man's reaction to him saying he didn't want trouble... It all seemed as if he truly did move to the wrong place. Though, after being on the street for a week before finally finding someplace cheap, he thought this would have been good. But apparently not... He was probably about to be killed, and there was nothing he could do about it except for beg for his life, or become this guy's bitch. Neither of which did he feel comfortable doing, but... He had just enough courage to do whatever he could to be allowed to live.

"Please don't... Don't k-kill me... I d-don't have money... But... I-I have stuff... In my a-apartment..." He lifts his gaze a bit, his eyes seeming more blue than grey from the tears that still fall down his cheeks. "I-I don't w-want... To die..."

Cairo couldn't help but to stare at the other man in front of him as the tears started to fall. Wait-- what? Really, crying? Oh man, now he had surely seen it all. What a wimp. That had to be a whole new level of pathetic.

Annoying flashes of memories reminded him that he probably didn't exactly have the right to say that, but those memories he quickly threw into a mental trash can, so they wouldn't come to ruin his day.

If he had somehow managed to keep up his poker face, it broke when the guy opened his mouth next. Cairo couldn't help but to laugh out loud, even though he wasn't sure why he was laughing. But that was just normal. He did many things without knowing why he did them. "Kill you? Idiot, there's a security camera right there, and you think I'mma kill you?" he asked, lifting his brows in exaggerated suspicion and crossing his trained arms over hist chest. There was a tattoo on his shoulder. "Or you think I'm such a dumbass that I'd do something so stupid, huh? That's what you think?"

Well... He knew he wasn't very smart, but come on, had to draw a line somewhere.

He didn't come here after the guy's money. Nah. He came to fool around a little. But he said it himself... Stuff, back in the apartment. He took another drag and frowned thoughtfully, staring at the newbie all the time, without giving him even the smallest of breaks. "You know what. That 'stuff' sounds kinda interesting. Got anything worth of anything, hm?" It was pretty low from him, he knew it, but what could he do? Money was tight at the moment, and this guy was offering him a chance without him even asking.

Elijah quickly shakes his head, "I-I don't think y-you're stupid!" He says in a shaking voice, his body trembling even worse than before. "I'm sorry... I just.. I d-didn't know..." The laugh had terrified him even more, making him feel as if he really would be killed, despite the other saying he wouldn't.

The way he was being constantly stared at made him feel small, even smaller than he already felt. "I don't know..." He says when he's asked about his 'stuff', "I don't know... What's worth what... M-My parents, I don't know.. They didn't tell me... I can take you, I just.. T-Take anything you want... Please do-don't hurt me..." He keeps his head low, honestly afraid that he could be killed the moment he walks out of the building.

He knows it's not smart to take this dangerous person to his home, but he honestly don't know if he has anything that's worth any decent money, and he's far too afraid to say no and it turn out to be untrue. How the other would find out he has no clue, but he's paranoid that he would. "Please... I-I'll take you there... It's not far..."

"Mm, that's better." It made Cairo grin how quickly the other guy was assuring that he wasn't stupid at all, but then the smile died a little. He was stupid, and he knew it. He had been told that so many times by people way smarter than him, so... what was there not to believe? Some scared dude telling him otherwise just to please him didn't make any difference. It was mostly just amusing, but kind of disturbing as well, in a way.

"Okay," he finally nodded. "Sounds like a fair deal. I can take anything I want, and I won't hurt you... Well, fair to me, at least." He shrugged carelessly, grin appearing back on his face, this time looking cunning instead of innocent. "Wouldn't mind to know where you live either, crybaby. Gotta know the stuff that's goin' on here, you see. Who lives where, and so on."

Cairo nodded the guy to follow him and headed towards the door.

The shop assistant - who had kept an eye on them all the time - cleared her throat, watching them somewhere between suspicion and pity. "Is everything alright?" she asked, looking at the smaller guy in slightly concerned way.

"Nice to see you too, Chloe. Sure, everything's fine," Cairo hurried to smile, wrapping his arm casually around the newbie's shoulders like they had been best buddies. Cairo glanced down at the grey eyes. He hadn't even realized how badly the guy was trembling until now. What was wrong with him? As if he was about to get executed or something. Oh, come on. This was nothing serious, just a game. Didn't he realize that? "Ain't that right, buddy?"

Elijah's blood ran ice cold as he followed after the larger man toward the door. He didn't want to do this... Not at all, but.. Even if he were to take everything he owns, at least Elijah would still have his life. Even if he wouldn't be much of one after losing all of his possessions, mostly since he should know by now that there's no way he could get a job. He would only psych himself out about the people. So, now, he begins trying to mentally prepare himself for living on the streets, rather than focusing on the man leading him to the cause of that.

When the woman speaks he lets out a squeak of surprise, turning to her but, again, unable to look above her shirt collar. When he feels an arm thrown over his shoulder his eyes go wide and his trembling worsens even more. "O-Okay..." He manages to get out when prompted, the tears falling faster as he resists the urge to run from the man and hide under a table or counter.

"C-C'mon..." He whimpers, his head dropping so he was now looking directly at the floor. "My a-apartm-ment..." He thought that maybe playing along as if he were taking his friend back to his apartment would please the man. While obviously Elijah is aware it wouldn't exactly be convincing, perhaps the other would be at least grateful he didn't make some big scene of trying to escape, or begging the woman to call the police.

Something that honestly sounds quite pleasant at the moment.

But, instead of pushing his luck with any of that, Elijah instead just starts shuffling his feet toward the door, not liking the fact that such heavy emotions were being focused on him as both the man and the woman were looking at him. He just wanted to get out... One dangerous person staring at him was enough, he couldn't take anymore eyes like that.

"See? Totally fine," Cairo grinned with a shrug, letting the other guy move towards the door. He answered innocently to Chloe's suspicious stare, and waved her a quick goodbye. Hopefully she wasn't going to see Leon around anytime soon, though... Oh well. Nah. As if.

Once they were outside, the others were already waiting, inspecting the newcomer mildly curiously with their gazes, and wondering what was up. "What's the deal with this? He's being difficult or what?" Nathan asked, wiping dirty blonde bangs from his forehead and frowning a little. "Doesn't look like it. Cairo, that dude's crying."

Cairo placed his hand on the unknown guy's shoulder to keep him still. "Nah, it ain't like that. I got a deal with Crybaby. He's gonna take me to his place and-"

His words caused the others to burst into laugh, and a few of them - including Nathan - whistled. Cairo rolled his eyes. "Not that kind of a deal! No thanks," he huffed, but then he couldn't help but to smirk and glance at the smaller guy. "No offense, not sayin' you ain't cute or anything," he grinned, and it caused another wave of laugh. And honestly, he hated it. It made him feel sick and embarrassed. But ever since he had got caught from liking both girls and boys, he had to make a joke out of it. Joke out of himself, every time. If it was a joke, they let it pass and didn't mind it, not much at least. If he laughed, and if he could make the others laugh, it was going to be fine.

And he wouldn't end up being a wimpy, lone loser, like this newbie. "C'mon, let's get outta here. Show the way."

Elijah found himself close to hyperventilating when they went outside and they were met with the group of people he'd walked past to get into the store. He'd really wished they'd be gone by the time he left... Especially now that he was terrified beyond his whits.

When the man who'd faced him in the store- Cairo- starts speaking so casually with these other dangerous looking people he just closes his eyes tight, afraid that what would come next is they were all going to his apartment. And if that were the case, he has no doubt that he would be killed. Gangs like this don't just go around doing nothing.. Especially not in small spaces, small spaces that have suspicious red stains on the wall and floor... He really doesn't want to be just the next red stain...

The others start laughing and whistling, making Elijah actually squat down a bit to make himself smaller, perhaps they wouldn't want to intimidate him so badly. By now he couldn't even comprehend what anyone was saying, he just wanted all of this to be over... He wants to be back home. Even if his adoptive family didn't pay him much mind, at least he was safe from the outside world, there... Too bad he can never go back. "I'm sorry..." He whimpers, his voice only just above a whisper. He wasn't entirely certain what he was apologizing for, but he felt as if he should.

"Show the way." He hears finally, making him nod his head vigorously before opening his eyes, and taking trembling steps past the group, wishing that they would all just stop staring at him... It was all too much.

Cairo barely noticed how much more uncomfortable the guy seemed to be around the others - after all, just like Cairo, they hadn't done anything. Hadn't lifted a finger against the newbie. So he couldn't really imagine it could scare someone. But then again... Somehow people were scariest when they were doing nothing, and you could just keep guessing what might soon happen. Yeah, Cairo knew. It was the worst.

"You gotta chill a bit," he commented, reaching out his hand to wipe a tear away from the other guy's cheek. From the corner of his eye, he noticed Nath leaving the group and following them. "Nobody's gonna respect a loser like you. Dunno what the fuck is your problem."

To Cairo, it was all about not being a loser. He did everything he could in order to not be one. He so desperately wanted to be one of the cool guys that he had done a lot for it, even sacrificed for it. Sacrificed things he didn't want to. Things he maybe shouldn't have. And... sometimes he wasn't sure if it really was worth it. But those kind of ideas he quickly threw to that trash can in his mind. It started to be pretty full.

He put his hands deep in his pockets, glancing around on the quiet street. They were soon pretty alone, when the store was left behind. Nathan had almost caught up with them, but Cairo looked at Crybaby. "This way, you're just gonna get your ass kicked. What the hell are you cryin' for, anyway? Nobody's even touched you. Fuckin' drama queen." Now that Nathan was here to hear them, suddenly Cairo's vocabulary seemed to contain much more profanities, and his words sounded slightly more aggressive.

Elijah noticed one of the other men from the group following them, making his mind once more start racing about all the possibilities of what could happen when they reached his apartment. They could beat him up, taking literally everything he owns down to the clothes on his back... They could easily use their sizes as intimidating factors to get Elijah to do something bad... And if how the group had all spoken to Cairo was any indication, these two men could easily force him to strip then just lie still, forcing him to allow them to do as they pleased.

That was what scared him the most...

He distantly hears the brunette speaking to him, though what exactly the words were he wasn't sure. He couldn't pay attention. He was too afraid... That is, until the last bit where the tone was aggressive, and it sounded as if, if he didn't answer, he would be punished.

"I'm a-afraid.." He admits, letting out a choked sob and stumbling in his steps, but quickly he catches himself to continue on. "Don't... I-I don't.. Do w-well... With strangers..." He swallows hard, his arms crossing in front of him so either hand could hold onto the opposite sleeves, pulling the thin jacket tighter around him, "Scary... People a-are scary... Always..." He legitimately whimpers when a particularly strong gust of wind blows, pushing him to the side and against Cairo.

"I'm sorry!" He exclaims with wide, fearful eyes, quickly stumbling away from the larger man in fear of punishment. The tears start coming heavier as when he stumbles away he falls back, landing hard on his spine as he hadn't had the chance to adjust his body before he hit.

Well, yeah, Cairo could agree on that this kid didn't do well with strangers. Maybe not with people overall, he could guess. Well, maybe they were being a little nasty, yes, but the guy had looked like he had seen a ghost even when Cairo had simply greeted him. That wasn't normal. The newbie wasn't normal.

"You hear this?" Cairo laughed and glanced over his shoulder, towards Nath. "'People are scary'." He imitated the other guy's words and the tone of his voice - not very well, though - and Nathan smirked, shaking his head a little. Yes, people could be very scary. For real. They agreed; weirdo. "Maybe-- Hey!"

His gaze flashed quickly towards Crybaby when he suddenly felt the push as the other guy stumbled against him, ready to defend himself if against all the odds this guy was going to try to fight back... But nope. Of course he wasn't. What a stupid idea. Apparently it was an accident - of course it was - and the guy was immediately apologizing, as if he thought something nasty would follow immediately. Cairo started to have a feeling that somebody had done something to this guy. Something nastier than they were doing. Oh well.

Clumsy as hell too. "That's thoughtful of you," Cairo laughed when he saw the other guy stumbling even more and finally falling. Ouch, it looked painful. "I didn't need to even push, you're doin' it all yourself." It crossed his mind to offer his hand and help the other man up, it really did, but Nathan's presence stopped him.

"He'd make a good ashtray, don't ya think?" Nathan asked and let ashes fall from his cigarette on the other guy. He had lit another one to replace the one his friend stole.

"True," Cairo nodded with a grin, then he glanced down. "Come on, Crybaby, get up, or we'll make you get up."

When he fell, the wind had been totally knocked out of him. So for about ten seconds Elijah wasn't breathing, wasn't crying, wasn't moving at all. But when he feels the ashes fall on him he snaps out of it, cringing back from the cigarette before shakily standing at Cairo's words. His back no doubt had a horrible bruise now, and he's absolutely unable to stand straight.

"I'm sorry..." He apologizes again, though his voice is quieter, and his crying isn't as violent. It seems the fall, the ashes- and if the way his eyes keep flickering to it is any indication- the cigarette had all snapped him into a different mindset. One where he pushed back his fear, internalized it, and instead just acted incredibly submissive.

Tears do still fall down Elijah's cheeks but he's completely silent. The ashes that were flicked on him still cling to his shirt, as he makes no move to try getting them off. He forces himself to walk faster, despite the pain he knew he couldn't afford to walk at a slow pace. The men would get impatient, and that certainly would not be good for the smallest of the three. With a deep breath he makes himself stare straight ahead, resisting the strong urge to watch behind him and make sure the blond didn't come too near him with the cigarette.

Soon enough they reach the apartment building and Elijah lowers his head, walking up the few stairs then struggling slightly to open the sticky door. "My apartment is upstairs..." His voice is still incredibly quiet, but the fear in his tone was still obvious.

Cairo noticed how difficult the guy's walking looked like, almost like he hadn't been able to straighten his back properly. Well... damn. But then again, it was his own fault, and Cairo had nothing to do with it. It was his own problem if he was so clumsy.

As they followed the smaller young man, they started to talk about some people they knew, mentioning names that wouldn't be familiar to their guide. They also discussed shortly the deal Cairo had made with Crybaby, and hearing that they could take whatever worth of anything the guy had made Nath's face lighten up in interest - though it was replaced by a frown when Cairo pointed out that he needed that money more than Nath did. But overall, the unknown dude should be happy for that they weren't paying much attention to him when they were focused on the conversation. That was, until they reached the right place.

The place - like the whole area - was pretty familiar to them, and they had visited this building too at least once. "Dammit, I can barely hear you... Well, let's get up there then," Cairo commented. Fear was obvious in the other man's voice. Maybe he still expected to get killed, who knew.

"You got laptop, stereos, TV? Any technology, y'know," he asked as they were heading upstairs; he was walking right behind the guy. That's something he could manage to sell pretty easily. "Oh, right, I could try that jacket of yours too... Though, it might be a bit too small." His own was still at home, and he wasn't planning to go back very soon... And this way he would eventually freeze, when he only had the tight tank top.

Elijah thinks as they all head upstairs, not liking how close Cairo was to him... It made him incredibly uncomfortable. He doesn't speak though until they get to the top, now on the flat walkway where he wouldn't have to focus all his attention on not falling. "I'm not sure...." He swallows hard, still just looking straight ahead as he goes to his door with the chipping blue paint, the aging plaque seeming more ominous now than it had earlier. "I don't know what I was given."

When he was kicked out he didn't get to choose what he got to keep. His adoptive parents' excuse was that he owned nothing, anything they ever bought him was their's, they would just choose to give him gifts to take along.

After a few moments of fumbling in his pocket for the key, Elijah unlocks the door and pushes it open, ignoring the cringe-worthy sound that follows it. He then takes a step inside, the entire place being bare aside from three cardboard boxes lined on the far wall, all with the name "Elijah" scrawled rushed over the side. At the center of the floor was a flat pillow and a blanket stained and filled with countless holes.

He walks over to the boxes, reaching up to shakily wipe away his tears, then he stands as straight as he can and gestures to the boxes beside him. "You can take anything... J-Just.. Please don't hurt me..." He remembers what Cairo had said about his jacket as they were going up the stairs and he hurriedly pulls it off, revealing him to be wearing just a short-sleeved blue t-shirt. The exposed part of his arms above his elbow have several small, circular scars, as well as linear scars, looking like they were made from blades. None were incredibly long, but some did seem as if they'd have been rather deep.

Extending his arm shakily with the jacket in hand, Elijah bows his head once more, not wanting to see the men's faces when they laugh at him for the scars...

Not being sure what he himself owned? Well, that's a new one. It made Cairo frown a little, but as he saw the empty apartment and the unopened cardboard boxes, it made more sense. Well, he was very new here, it seemed. This place looked even less comfy than home, that was Cairo's opinion. It told a lot already about this apartment.

So... Elijah. Cairo hadn't bothered to ask. He hadn't wanted to ask, really. Knowing people by name made things somehow more personal. Someone introducing himself made him somehow so much more real, and that's not what the man wanted, especially when it was about a loser like this guy. He didn't want to know, so it kind of annoyed him that he hadn't managed to avoid that information. Well, this Elijah would still be 'Crybaby' or 'Newbie' to him in any case.

As the guy again begged them not to hurt him, Nathan scoffed. "Let's see about that after we've checked out your stuff."

Cairo reached his hand out to take the jacket, and that's when he noticed the scars. Nath spotted them too, even if he was about to head towards the boxes. The men were silent for a short moment. "Look, somebody got ahead of us," Nathan said then dryly, breaking the silence. "Too bad."

The other of the men didn't say anything, just shrugged and pulled the jacket on, trying to avoid seeing the scars again. If Crybaby hadn't done those himself... Then Cairo had been right. Somebody had done nasty stuff to him. But that wasn't their problem, it was his problem, and his alone. Obviously. "Hm, I guess this will do," he muttered. The jacket was a bit too small, but he had to take what he could when he could.

Nathan bend down to check what there was in the boxes. Cairo glanced at the direction, but turned to look at Newbie. "You got a phone? If so, gimme that." He wouldn't take it, though, he had something else in mind.

Elijah began trembling again with the way the unknown man dismissed his pleading. He was utterly terrified that he would be hurt, and would have no way to defend himself. And when the same man addresses his scars he couldn't help but whimper, once more rolling his shoulders forward to try and make himself seem smaller. It was a technique he'd been turning to for years now, even though in the beginning it did nothing but please those around him.

The black haired man glances up again when Cairo puts on the jacket, looking down to the boxes when the first is opened. In it is only a few scraps of cloth, something one would see on a homeless person, rather than the son of successful entrepreneurs. Below the clothes were a few old cassette tapes and VHS movies, though nothing to play either on, a CD player, and about twelve old, worn books. The next box has a toaster, a few fast-food restaurant gift cards, a coffee pot with no brewer, and some water bottles. The last box was the true jackpot for the men.

However, before Elijah could even see what was inside the last box, Cairo demands his phone. The boy swallows hard and nods, fumbling around for a moment before pulling out a flip phone that's at least ten years old. He hands it over, arms and hands still trembling. "I-It doesn't work for a lot... You can't.. Do internet, like people li-like to do... Only c-calling... And texting... I-I'm sorry..."

He squeezes his eyes shut and lowers his head again, silently sobbing for a moment before he manages to open his eyes once more. His eyes land on the last box, and the contents lead him to believe that his adoptive parents had accidentally sent him the wrong box... For inside were two laptops- still in their original packaging, a smaller jewelry box filled with rings, necklaces, and bracelets, all with real gems and gold, four handheld tablets, four cell phones, and a few small, antique dolls.

Though the sight shocks him Elijah does nothing to stop the men from doing what they please. They could take it all... It wouldn't do him any good, anyway. He'd likely get mugged or killed trying to take any of that to a pawn shop anyway... These two men could protect themselves, they didn't need to worry about what people would do to them.

But Elijah does... He always has to worry, he has always worried. Because he learned long ago that it's when you let your guard down that your life goes to hell.

Cairo watched with mild interest what there was in the first box, but he was disappointed, and it showed on his face. Both of their faces. Well, the CD player could be worth of something.

He turned his attention back to Elij-- Crybaby and took the phone from his hand, opening it. "Wow, this is even older than my phone," he commented as he typed something, something the other guy couldn't see from where he stood. Next Cairo's own phone vibrated in his pocket, and he took a look at it. He had a smart phone, but it was old and about the cheapest you can get - and it seemed to have went to hell and back, it was a miracle that it worked with all the scratches and broken screen.

"You're such a helpful dude that gotta have your number," he explained as he handed the phone back, grinning a little. "In case you'll get a job and have cash at some point, yeah?" Cairo wouldn't do this if he didn't have to, okay? That's how he told himself. He was just doing what he must in order to keep going. That's what anybody would do.

"Holy shit!" Nathan exclaimed. He had opened the last box, and just stared. Cairo moved closer, and a smile widened on his face.

"Man, why didn't you tell you're a rich bitch?" he laughed as he watched Nath go through the box. "Let's take the whole box," he suggested then, and Nathan had nothing against that.

"I'll get thirty percents," the blonde man decided. It made Cairo frown, but he didn't say anything. He got them this, he made a deal with Newbie. He needed cash... But, Nath was a friend, so... Let's see about that. He watched as the other man lifted the box up easily and headed towards the door without paying more attention to the owner of the stuff.

But Cairo turned to look at Newbie, stepping closer and placing his fingers under the other man's jaw, forcing him to lift his face up. He had this a little bothering habit to look anywhere but in the eye. "Chin up, you're gonna get a job and make money," he told, flashing a warm smile. "And when you do, I'll know about it, yeah? We're buddies now, and would be a shame if you didn't tell your buddy about something as big as that, yeah? You have my number now. I'll know if you didn't tell. Sooner or later I know everything that's goin' on here."

Elijah doesn't make any reply to Cairo's comment about his phone, knowing that it wouldn't matter... He wouldn't have it after today, anyway. So, it surprises him when the brunette's own phone vibrates and he informs the boy that he'd exchanged their numbers. Once more with a shaky hand he reaches out for the phone, sniffling back more tears as he just holds it tightly.

A jolt of fear goes through him at the blond man's shout, knowing that it was over the contents of the last box, bit it still caught him off guard... What if they were upset that only the one box had anything of value? Would they kill him, cut him open, and harvest his organs to sell instead?

No... No. That was only an urban legend, told to a teen during times of happiness to knock him down a few pegs. No one would ever truly be so greedy. It's just... Not possible.

He rather easily ignores the comment about being rich, as he's instead still trying to calm himself, convince himself that he wouldn't be killed only to have his heart spend eternity in some black market warehouse, screwed into a jar and forgotten, just like the boy himself. It wouldn't be so bad, that way... Perhaps bugs would get to the remainder of his body, and he'd get to provide life for them... At least then he'll have been able to do some sort of good while his body is in this world.

Lost in his own daydreams- or wrongfully timed nightmares- Elijah doesn't even realize the blond man leaving with the box until someone is forcing his face up. His first thought of who it may be is worse than the reality, much to his relief. He'd have to be careful about spacing out when there are dangerous men around him...

However, his relief isn't long lived as Cairo gives his terrifyingly calm smile, his words holding such a real threat that it makes tears start to fall from the boy's eyes once more.

"I will tell you... I-If I do.." He promises, knowing that there's no way he'd risk pushing his luck with these people... He's far too afraid. Though, would they be angrier still if he was unable to get a job? "If... When..." He bites his bottom lip, swallowing hard and trying to compose himself, and his thoughts. "If I c-cannot get a job... If.. I'm too s-scared... What will h-happen to... Me..?"

When the other guy promised to tell him in case he found a job, Cairo believed him. Those terrified eyes didn't lie. He would surely tell... And that's a good thing, yeah? Of course this was a good thing. No, this was a great thing...or, it would feel great later, if he'd decide to get drunk...Yeah, maybe today was a good day for that.

"Oh, come on, have a little faith," Cairo grinned in carefree way. "I'm sure you'll find a job."

No, he wasn't all that sure. There wasn't much opportunities nearby. Believe it or not, Cairo had tried. He didn't have a job either, and he had tried to get one. Countless of times. And once in a while he succeeded, but then something went wrong, he fucked up or something else in his life got fucked up, and... Goodbye, job. So... maybe it was just him. Maybe this guy wasn't as hopeless as he was.

"If not, well... We'll see about that," he smirked, being vague in purpose. Heck, of course nothing would happen to this guy. That'd be a bit too low, if he'd go and beat up someone for not managing to do the same thing he had failed countless of times himself. Newbie was far too paranoid in Cairo's opinion, though maybe someone else would say that he got a good reason to be exactly that.

Cairo lifted up his hand and wiped a tear away from the Crybaby's face. "You were cuter when you didn't cry," he told, then patted the other guy's shoulder as a goodbye. "See you around. Take care, buddy."

Elijah took Cairo's words as yet another silent threat, hearing it more as, "You'd better be sure to get a job, else we'll just have to see what happens to you."

He'd heard similar words countless times before, and so now he had a whole new motivation to get a job... His life, rather than just his livelihood. "O-Okay..." He whimpers, closing his eyes tightly. If he couldn't lower or in any way move his gaze, he'd just stop it all together. It was far too uncomfortable and nerve wracking to look into someone's eyes for so long... Such prolonged eye contact only ever turned into pain on his end.

At the feeling of a finger larger than his own wiping away the tears from his cheeks though, the frightened boy couldn't help but open his eyes again, looking into Cairo's as he speaks of him being 'cute', then bids his goodbye.

No one had ever done that, before... Wiped away his tears. It was something he'd once dreamed of, though in his mind it was always someone who cared for him, perhaps even loved him... Someone who would hold him tight while assuring him that everything would be okay.

But he should know better... Nothing is ever okay, Elijah isn't worthy of 'okay'. Along with many other painful life lessons, that's one that has always stuck out to him the most. Which must be why his dream was just crushed by being fulfilled by none other than a man who he's only just met, a man who he imagines, can only imagine him dead.

So he watches Ciro leave... Makes no move to close the door, too frightened that they would come back and be angry the doorway is blocked. Perhaps... He would leave it open all night. And he likely would, if not for the overwhelming fear that he would fall asleep and someone would come in to hurt him while he's even more helpless than he is while awake. It's with that in mind he walks toward the door and finally shuts it, dropping to his knees not even three seconds later to sob against the aging wood.

Though it's not even close to over, Elijah already feels that today has been far too much.

A few days later, Cairo was fucking annoyed. He just wanted to kick the trash cans down, break some windows and maybe steal someone's car and crash it. But his mind realized still that it was childish and stupid and he shouldn't do something like that, unless he wanted to make himself look like an idiot.

Maybe the can in his hand would work as an excuse, though. Or the way he stumbled down the street, clearly having troubles with maintaining his balance. Or maybe this was still a bit too early to be this drunk. Goddammit. He fucking hated to be drunk, and he fucking hated his friends, and he fucking hated Leon, and he wanted to fucking jump down from the roof of the highest building he could find. Too bad the doors would likely be locked...

He stopped to look at himself from the window of some hairdressing salon, and didn't like what he saw. He had exactly the same clothes as earlier, but now he had found his own, black leather jacket. The corner of his eye was bruised and little swollen, and there was a little bit of dried blood under his nose, like he had been in a little fight. Nobody would wonder that, though.

Realizing that the can was empty, he threw it angrily across the street. Fuck. He didn't have more. So instead, he took a cigarette and lit it, even though his hands were shaking a little, which made it difficult. Taking a long drag to calm himself down, he continued his journey to who knew where.

As he stepped around the corner, he walked straight into somebody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back