Story The Virus

Silverwings

(∩ಠ ³ಠ)⊃━☆゚.*
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
1,000 people died that day. 1,000 people.

Of course, our area was well spread out over 7 square miles. Most of the survivors were people who lived outside of town or fled outside the town limits. I had watched as I drove home, all of the zombies tearing at people. People trying their hardest to flee. All of the movies and all of the video games could never truly prepare anyone for the real thing.

Most of the "Fresh" zombies are fast, agile, and powerful. They take more hits before they will go down. Older zombies are slower and weaker as the virus catches up with the body. However, their bites are more potent than a fresh zombie's, turning their victims within a day. Then you have the "Rotters." Rotters are the ones who have reached the end of the virus cycle before total organ failure kills them. Some rotters can be heard cackling as they reach their final hours. These zombies aren't such a worry, as most have lost the motor functions that would normally allow them to walk or even crawl. If you are misfortunate enough to be bitten by one, you could expect the virus to take its hold in the span of only a few hours.

There are some people who are immune to the virus. However, this doesn't make them immune to the flesh eating monsters the virus creates, or the infections a bite might cause.

My name is Zarin Michaels. I am 24 years old. I was 20 when the virus first started spreading. At first, everyone was avoiding it pretty well. If you suspected someone ws exposed, you called the local authorities and whoever it was would be taken away. For the first year this went pretty smoothly, despite the people who threw a fit about the safety measures the government had put in place. I'd seen so many families be torn apart because of it. After the first year, people were tired of the quarantines and the people who suddenly "disappeared" without much talk of why. Somehow, the topic had become a taboo in most societies. People wanted to return to normalcy. I did too. I wanted to be able to go to the store without being afraid.

When I was 22, the big event happened. Someone who was exposed failed to be reported. He turned his whole family who also failed to report. When someone did a wellness check, the family of five escaped their home, rampaging the streets. Of course, they were caught within a few hours, but the authorities couldn't take in the couple hundred people that had been attacked. That's when we learned that the longer the virus stayed in the body, the more potent it became when that person bit someone.

I was at work when most of the people succumbed to the virus and began attacking people as they walked the streets, dined, or shopped. I recall my manager coming to my department and calling a meeting.

"Go home" He said, "Be with your families. Stay safe. Don't go into tow if you can help it. God be with you all. Go. Don't even bother clocking out."

No amount of information could have prepared us for the chaos that was to ensue as we all made our way home. Seeing the abandoned cars, accidents all over the roads. people half eaten hanging partially out of their vehicles. I knew the only thing to do when I saw someone in front of my car at this point would be to hit them and keep moving, uness I too wanted to share their fate. I hated it. Watching as some of them hit the ground and screaming in pain, only to be surrounded by those already infected. It killed me inside. That was all two years ago. Since then the rest of the country seems to have shared our fate.

A large group of survivors, including myself, have built a bunker at the Cheyanne plaza in downtown Ashstead. It had a medical facility, a grocery store, two general stores, two restaurants, a warehouse, a gun shop, and a hardware store. Behind the plaza was a wide open field. Being in an area where farming was the main source of our economy, we found that gathering up horses, cattle, and sheep was rather easy. However it wasn't until half a year after that we found a few pigs. We decided that this was our best bet to deal with some of our waste, seeing as they'll eat anything. quickly out little camp was attracting attention as people realized how convenient and safe the location really was.

We send out scavenging parties on horseback once a week to find more resources, and every time they bring back just enough to keep all of us going. However in recent weeks we've had to cut back our rations as food is becoming harder to find. We have a small wheat farm started across the road from us, but that doesn't produce fast enough to feed everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back