The story of Falkner

Zaramis

Hey everyone. Just thought I'd share this very funny episode of .. well, stuff. In Exalted 2:nd Ed.

Ill start from the beginning. I had just picked up 2:nd Ed, and we'd been looking over the pictures, the charms, the cool new combat systems for almost an entire day, me and a friend. We decided, sometime at 2 am, to start trying out the combat system by doing some staged fights.

We start with a typical Dragon Blood from the STC, played by my friend. He is a Wood aspect, with some fire charms as well, boosting his melee.

He starts to beat the crap out of my Tyrant Lizard. He then whoops me with his artifact glaive versus a dragon blooded of my own wielding a reaper daiklave. Then, he kicks my butt again using a Grand Daiklave ( even if he rolls worse than me, he had much better stuff )

So, we decide to make some longer fights, and roll two mortals each. I equip my mortal with a chain shirt and a mace + buckler. He starts with equipping his with a big sword of some kind. I decide to call this mortal of mine "Falkner". It soon turns out that the Mace ( piercing, +8B damage, +1 defense +1 accuracy ) is one -awesome- weapon, combined with a shield for +1 DV.

Falker handily beats three different compositions of my enemy, including dual hooked swords and a heavy armor spear wielding fellow. NOteworthy is that my friend was upgraded after each fight, too, with better stuff.

So, my friend promptly states "Well, time for your pesky Falkner to die. Im bringing out my DB that I used earlier".. Great. That's a wood aspect, with plenty of melee and athletic charms, using a GRAND DAIKLAVE and an armor soaking -13- bashing, with 4 in all his physicals.

He allows me to get the first punch. I hit him since his DV isnt all that fancy, and somehow manages to roll really well. THe piercing mace halves his armor, and I manage to score 4 health levels ( and this was a mortal, no double-0's etc ).

He gets pissed, and swings his gigantic sword. Misses versus my DV of 5. Swoooop.. miss. So I hit him again, for 1 health level through another miracle. He then swings, and hits me. ugh.

My friend brings out 22 ( twenty-two! ) damage dice after my soak of mighty 3 is over with, and rolls. One success. One in 22. I take one health level of damage, and continue to spend willpower like crazy. Next round I hit the DB in another miracle move for 2 health levels, and he gives up.

So, by this point we're laughing like madmen over the situation, and my friend exclaims that his character in my campaign is hiring this mace-wielding fellow to be his bodyguard. We pull out a proper character sheet and fix the character, and he's now going to be an important NPC in a campaign.

Voila! The story of Falkner, who survives everything!

As an afterthought, we both liked the combat system very much. And since this happened, Falkner has beat up a few more dragon bloods through sheer sweet dicerolling by me, even if they werent as combat focused.

I did have an idea of him Exalting as something weird, but I realized it would suck for my players, since he would whoop their asses with his Mace + Shield ;P

Zaramis said:
I did have an idea of him Exalting as something weird, but I realized it would suck for my players, since he would whoop their asses with his Mace + Shield ;P
So you are doing it then?   :D

I like the idea of keeping Heroic Mortals that way for a while.  When you've got a good NPC like that, it's good to have them around for all sorts of odd situations.  A really good returning character, who has his own agenda and internal logic is great.  

I'd keep him Mortal and just that bad ass.  And maybe he gets a little dap later on, but I'd keep him just the way he is, and give him a good story.  Then, if he Exalts later on, it's the beginning of a whole new era for him.  Old man who gets the Solar dap saving his Solar employers from a horde of nasties...that's all sorts of fun right there.  

Obviously not Sidereal, he'd already be tracked and followed...

I take that back, it might be interesting , that he's got all that "luck" from Fate conspiring to keep his ass alive so that he can Exalt at the right time, in the right place, and he's never really noticed all the odd occurances that have conspired to get him there.  Bubba, the Blue Collar Sidereal...

It's great to keep mortals around. They are so extremely fragile (most of them) compared to the exalts and it gets very fun, when they get important to the PCs as friends, lovers and family and still insist on being embroiled in the events. Potential for much great roleplaying :)

Yeah, Im keeping him mortal for now. Alot of his charm ( as in, not the essence-using sort of charm ) is due to the fact that he's doing all this without the use of nifty charms or artifacts.

But he's around 35 years old, perhaps he has another destiny that lies in wait for him in the future.. but until then, he'll be a nice NPC to have for the group

Users who are viewing this thread

Back