The Story, and Rules

GossipLink

I drink coffee, oh and I love my fish waifus :>
Heya all! Below, will be the story, and base premise of this RP. It'll be a direct copy/paste from the Interest Check thread initially, but I may edit it overtime if it needs to be adapted to fit better in this new location. The rules will be listed first, then the story.

Note: Hey! If you're new to this thread, this will apply to you. Some of the necessary lead up to the story, is in a dairy-format from my personal character. This will be in the topic, 'Important Documents'. I recommend reading it, to get a better idea of what will be said below.

• For starters, no god-modding. Whether that be in a general sense, or a combat-sense. Things can't always go your way, that's realistic truth. So please be fair in this way. 
  • As well, no bunnying. You can't always dodge an attack, and you will take damage from time to time. When you do, make it realistic. A single punch won't break five ribs, but neither will a bullet do nothing more then fracture a bone. (Well okay, it might. But you know what I mean...)
  • No controlling other people's characters. Flat line. No exception. Unless, of course, that person gives you permission to do so. As far as NPCs are concerned, they're open to be controlled by anyone. I may make a few exceptions to this rule as the story progresses, but I'll make sure you guys know ahead of time.
  • No arguing, or being rude to others. 
  • Please always be courteous to your fellow partners. This isn't a rule, as much as it's an honest request from me. 
  • Dark themes, harsh and crude language, and blood/gore is allowed. However, I want realism. The Princess isn't going to be cussing like a sailor, and the RSA isn't going to be ripping holes into people. 
  • Going off of that last note, please be true to the role you get. Fairly self explanatory.
  • If you read all of these rules, include if your character likes, or dislikes coffee and tea in it's respective part in the CS. 
  • Use every thread and topic properly, and post your content into where it belongs. As well, unless you have specific clearance from me, do not go posting in any topics that aren't meant to be posted in except by me. 
  • Feel free to recommend things for the other, 'off limits', topics. Especially the, 'Important Documents', topic.  
  • I will try my best not to be too picky, but please write your posts either in third, or first person. Regardless of the POV, make the information from either your character's perspective, or over the shoulder. No omnipresent narrators here! (Note: If you're unsure on what this means, don't worry. It's highly likely you will not be breaking this rule.)
  • Post at least once a week. But, if the RP does get a little boost in inspiration, please try your best to keep up with your fellow RPers. If can't, it's understandable. All I'm asking, is that you try! If you ever need to take a few days away, please let us know. 
  • Every post must consist of a minimum of three paragraph, on average. The more the better, but if you can manage at least three, you're good to go!

This all takes place in the Kingdom of Crestodom. Now, this country is ruled by either an Emperor, or Empress. There is no bigotry towards either gender ruling here, because it's been this way since the establishment of it's foundation. Presently, the Emperor has been ruling. He led the country from being fairly prosperous, to the biggest powerhouse in the known lands, bringing together all the other countries into a unification pact to retain peace and prosperity. But hey, if you think he did that by his own will and strength, you're sadly mistaken. His father before him, was known as the, 'Dark Prince'. Needless to say, at least according to legends and stories, the previous Emperor, towards the end of his life, delved into witchcraft and black magic. Turns out, it's true. He ended up finding a demon, and made a contract to make his Empire the strongest in all of the lands. He was so intent on it, that he never even listened to what the demon wanted in return for the power. This is what led his rule, and then the current Emperor's rule, to be so glorious. What the demon wanted however, was a mass soul sacrifice, worth the same equivalent to the power it gave to the kingdom. This would then result, in the Emperor, and all his direct underlings to be swept out of existence. The Royal Sorcerer, and the Royal Scientist learned of this three months before the beginning to this tale, and tried to find a way to stop it. They did come up with a plan, but their demise arised before they had a chance to accomplish it.

What ends up happening, is the Royal Scientist writes out the plans to reverse the curse, and leaves it for his apprentice. However, it's written in coordination with the Sorcerer, so the details don't really make sense. As in, it's deeply coded in magic sigils, to prevent normal people from decoding it. Thus, it'll come down to both of the apprentices working together, to figure out how to save their country. Sadly though, it won't be that simple. First off, the glaringly obvious. The Princess is going to be executed as soon as possible for her, 'crime', and most likely all those who were meant to serve her. You see, everyone important to the leadership of the thrown, has an, 'apprentice'. Someone they train from the beginning of their ruling for the Crown, so that when the next Prince or Princess ascends the thrown, the apprentices then ascend with them. This is to provide a fair retirement for the old advisers, and to give the new ones a good life serving their future Emperor/Empress. So, most people would logically assume, that the apprentices were conspiring with the Princess to make this all happen. Of course, we know that isn't true. But no one else does. Therefore, my character, the Sorcerer's Apprentice (haha), will take up her duty to lead the Princess, and the other apprentices, away from the castle in an unexpected exile. They will then all be forced to leave the kingdom, traveling to distant lands while they try to overcome the curse, and eventually get the Princess back on the throne. Properly, this time around. 

There is another serious complication to this, however. You see, magic and science, have always been at odds with one another. This is especially true, in Crestodom. You see, while the kingdom thrived by being as open and non-biased as possible, it couldn't do so perfectly. On top of that, it's foundations in it's initial establishment were heavily rooted in the concepts of magic. Therefore, all throughout the country, you'll notice how entire families, neighborhoods, and friends can be torn apart depending on their allegiance. These battling ideologies have only grown more intense, as the rise of science and the people's dependency on it grew. Outside of the kingdom, most countries are leaving the magical arts behind, choosing to set their future on science. As such, most outer kingdoms are in the Victorian Era, steampunk style. In Crestodom, only a handful of steam factories can be found, but the architecture in newer districts are noticeably leaning towards the Victorian style. This has outraged mages and sorcerers alike, causing any hope of unification, to be crushed forcibly. Not that science-lovers are any better, as they haven't tried at all to respect the traditions and customs of old nearly at all. With that said, you can only imagine how at odds the Royal Scientist and Royal Sorcerer's apprentices will be. Thus, them working together and figuring out the work left behind, will not be a simple matter. Neither can do it without the other, but they won't want to accept that fact.

So, what can magic and science do? Well, in this world, magic isn't quite...complicated. It's not simple either, though. Magic works in many ways, not one way being the same as another. But it's, 'simplicity', depends on the mastery of it from person to person. As in, the Royal Sorcerer could conjure up various spirits to his will, bend the elements to his use, and cast curses without any extra effort short of saying a few words, or even merely thinking on it. Only the most complex of rituals or curses, would he have needed to utilize tomes and sigils. Beginners, or even people who have been studying and training for years, might only be able to do simple magic, with tons of tomes, sigils, and sacrifices. Alseia, for example, is nowhere close to her former master. Neither however, is she so young to the arts. For her, she can utter forth enchantments, curses, and other things of such nature with a few strands of magical words. Any more complex curses or enchantments may require a tome or two. Far more advanced magical abilities for her, would require sigils, and very precise situations, to say the least. Only one type of magic comes easy, which is most easily explained as a mix between, 'filukinesis', and, 'dimensiokinesis'. Or, 'thread manipulation, and, 'dimensional manipulation', As in, she can create thread-like strands of pure dimensional energy, to entangle enemies, set up traps, and if assisted by tomes and sigils, perform a lot more functions. (More will be explained in future CS.) However, this is a rare case of talent, and having been trained by the literal master of magic, the Royal Sorcerer, personally. It's also worth noting, that not everyone can use magic. While every human is technically capable of using it, few can do it easily enough to make it practical. Most just give up, because it's too hard. Roughly only 1/4 humans bother with magic at all, and out of those few, only 1/3 can use it effectively. 

Science, on the other hand, is very easy. In fact, most people don't even need to be smart. They only need a few exceptional scientists to come up with new inventions, and a handful of engineers to make them come to life. Why bother with spend years upon years of hard research to make your crops grow slightly faster, when you can get fertilizing system built for a small amount of money, and hardly anytime spent at all? As you can see, the appeal of science is understandable. Which is mostly why, few people bother with magic anymore, and more are coming over to support the progression of science. But the question you must be asking is, 'how advanced is the tech in this current world?' Basically put, think of any steampunk story/game/show, and you got it. Steam powered zeppelins, massive factories, and the like. But to be more specific, here goes nothing. Clockwork engineering is massively popular, for many different things. One of the most widely used uses, is clockwork robots. Things that are actually fairly advanced. Not to the level of self conscious, or even close. But enough so, that they can perform various duties without much supervision. For a better reference, think of the Clockwork Soldiers from Dishonored 2. Further, is the stance of firearms. Most people still use swords, and others crossbows. But firearms are becoming more widely used, in today's world. They're terribly accurate, spread-shooting like crazy. Even still, if you need heavy hitting, easily concealed weapons, they are what people use. More accurate, single-firing muskets exist as well. (If you can't tell, I'm drawing heavy inspiration from the Dishonored series.) As said before, almost every outer country has embraced science, and thus seeing the Victorian innovation, is very common. Though keep in mind, it may come as a surprise to the apprentices, as they've likely never been out of the kingdom. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread