• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Skycaptain's Daughter

airship_city_by_min_nguen-d6lnzda.jpg

London, the United Kingdom

8th November 1862

Morwenna Stone slammed out of the lawyer's office, her back straight and her grey eyes blazing. How dare he. How dare he? She'd flown aboard Wyvern since she was five, and if at first she'd been more trouble than help to her father he'd never made her feel like a burden and by the time she was twelve she was serving as a member of his crew. After dropping off Laughing Sammy in New England he hadn't chosen to take on another temporary hand, instead promoting her to First Mate. The next few years were paradise as father and daughter criss-crossed the skies of Europa, trading with people in a dozen different tongues, and though she was shaken by his sudden wilting sickness and still grieving his recent death, she was every bit the airman she was a month ago. And that... prancing jackanapes had the hide to talk about sale price and dowries! It was all about airman of course. In his eyes, in society's eyes Father's death meant that she should stop all this play acting and settle down to get married. He couched it in concern for her well being - a woman alone and in peril - but the long and the short of it was that he wouldn't release Wyvern's deed and allow her to set sail without a crewman. And she had to leave London sky docks within the next two days at latest if she was to make her charter at  Strasbourg. Add the fines for breach of contract to her existing debts, and she could have Wyvern claimed from under her; her career as Captain over before it began!

"I fear I'd make a very poor wife and mother," she murmured to herself with her first humor that day. It might be gallows humor, but it would suffice. She'd always meant to get a crewmate of her own, a second pair of hands to watch her back and help her in the air. Well, there was nothing for it - she would just have to find the right person here in London. In 2 days. Without their minding that payment would have to wait until they'd delivered their first cargo.

How hard could it be?

With renewed determination, the young redhead set out for the sky docks as though she could wrest her destiny into line.

@folclor

Last edited by a moderator:
Allison Conway, her brown hair cut short and hidden beneath a cap, roved the sky docks, dressed as a boy, dirt clouding her face slightly, hopefully to help with keeping anyone from recognizing her.  A painter's daughter, her parents had made arrangements for her to marry a carpenter, but she had no intentions of settling down so easily.  In the night, she stole away, cutting her hair and finding someone to give her the right clothing.  Now she could only hope to find a job here, someone to take her away.  After all, if she stayed she'd face being found and forced to marry a man she didn't know and didn't love.

So far she had no luck, but she didn't look the part of a proper worker so she supposed it wasn't too bad for her to have only gone one morning, thus far, without work.  She was using the name 'Peter' which seemed to work overall, though she wondered how she'd keep up the charade once she was aboard a ship.

@Greenbriar

"...no." Morwen rubbed at her eyes, then gave the older man a direct glare. "I'm not interested in selling her. As I told you. Now, do you know a good man who will serve me on Wyvern or do you not?" 

"Not," chortled the salty old captain of Highflyer. "None of my lads would follow a young maid to aught but her bedchamber. It's no life for a woman, lass." He drew himself up with his thumbs tucked into his belt, full of himself and his rectitude. 

"Well, it's my life," she replied, somehow containing her temper and minding her manners. "I'd best make the most of it that I can - to honour my father's name if not my own." There was little Highflyer's captain could say to that, and he wished her luck in her unlikely quest. 

Dressed in a loose jacket, a white shirt and a dark skirt, Morwen continued her walk along the sky docks. She hadn't really found anyone of promise. She was reluctant to take aboard dead weight, but all the experienced crewmen she'd found seemed bound to their captains by years of loyalty - or were shifty enough that she'd never allow them aboard Wyvern if her life depended on it. Hopefully word would get around to the less obvious candidates that she was looking to hire an individual of talent, but she'd been stuck on the dock for a week and a half now and there was work to be done to get the airship ready to sail. It might be optimistic of her, but she'd always found it better to prepare for success. 

Somehow, it would work out.

@folclor

It hadn't been good for Allison.  She'd found no work and a few workers came close to discovering her secret.  The fact that she wasn't growing any facial hair (and couldn't) was a big problem.  However, word was spreading about the Lady Captain of the Wyvern looking for at least one crew member.  The girl gathered up her courage and went to find said plausible employer.  It wasn't hard to spot Morwenna Stone amongst the ruffians that inhabited the docks.

"Miss!"  Allison called, running after the captain.  She was out of breath by the time she caught up and she felt her chest wrap beginning to come loose (she'd have to tighten it soon), but continued with the impression of a boy in his teens that she was putting on.  "Miss, I heard you're looking for a crewman?"  This was a shot in the dark.  Her white shirt was browned by the time she'd spent out on her own, pants drawn in tighter than they should be by her belt.  It had been hard to find meals and she hadn't taken any money when she ran away (a mistake she sorely regretted).

@Greenbriar

In truth it wasn't a great time in history for one hopeful of disguising their fairer sex; not given the remarkable prevalence of magnificent moustaches, muttonchops or neatly trimmed beards on any man of substance. The only out was to take the guise of a lad young enough to be denied his prized hairs by Lady Time herself, and fortunately Morwen fell for this disguise completely. Still four steps shy of the gangway that reached out to kiss Wyvern's side, the young woman spun on her heel to give the lad who'd addressed her a piercing glance on enquiry. He seemed sincere though, and he didn't have the sly cast of a potential mutineer. If it came down to it she was fairly sure she could lock him in the hold until she made port somewhere and could kick him out; she was no slaver to jettison even the worst of souls five thousand feet off the earth. 

Still as she said, this lad didn't look the type and if he was a little ragged around the edges there was something in his earnest expression that spoke of a determination to prove himself, to seek a better life than the one he'd left behind. Though his shirt and tightened belt also suggested he'd been on his own for a time; either that, or he was the most wasp-waisted boy she'd ever met. She cocked her head and arched a single brow quizzically at him, her hands planted on her hips. "And if I am? I'll not deny it, for it's true - but have you come to apply for the role? How much experience do you have sailing the skies, either as crew or passenger? Who is your family - or your master, if you have one?" He could be a runaway 'prentice, though she did him the credit of not accusing him to his face.

@folclor

Damn, she'd hoped the Lady would be more desperate than that... Prove her worth? That would be difficult and there would have to be some half truths involved.

"I-I haven't worked a ship, ma'am, but I've ridden them all across the country and in France." If she wasn't careful she'd blow her cover... "I was 'pprenticed to my father only I'm a shite painter and he kicked me out. I know I don't have a lot of experience, but I'll work hard and learn! I-I'm a quick learner, ma'am!"

Was that convincing enough? She wasn't certain, but time would tell. The bit about her father was completely untrue and she was a decent painter. Not amazing, but not shite either. Her mother would slap her if she heard that word fall from her daughter's lips...

@Greenbriar

Desperate she may be - though she'd given nary a hint to those she sought to recruit that her very livelihood depended on finding a crewman - but Captain Stone knew far better than to show any sign of weakness among the longshoremen and sailors she moved among. In truth she found the boy's admissions reassuring. She could tell by his stance and the way that he moved that he hadn't worked an airship before, and the fact that he owned to it rather than trying to lie his way aboard spoke well of his honesty. She could work with that, at least assuming he was right about being a quick learner.

"Your father sounds a hard man," she ventured, her eyes softening a note from their flinty hardness a moment gone. "But aye, I think we may suit at that. Help me get her ready for her voyage and we'll see how swiftly you learn - impress me and you're hired, but even if you're no more a sailor than a painter I'll at least feed you and give you a place to sleep tonight." Having marked the thin-faced look of the boy, she led the way to the lowered boarding ramp that sat nestled against the arching stone pier then looked back over her shoulder. "We should make our introductions before we go on. I am Captain Morwen Stone - Captain or Skipper once you're signed on - and this great lady is Wyvern."

The main deck of the airship stretched some sixty feet in length and less than a third that at its widest point. At its stern a small raised deck rose to give a steersman a good vista in all directions, while the sturdy silken envelope stretched out to fore and aft overhead. The door by the rear stair suggested some manner of cabin, while twin doors set into the deck at the ship's centre indicated cargo could be kept below. Overall the ship looked lean, built for speed and light of weight with strung ropework instead of heavy wood where the design allowed. "By what name shall I call you?"

@folclor

The captain seemed a decent enough sort and Allison felt optimism flow through her at the promise of a place to sleep and a meal. It didn't have to be hot, of course, as long as it was edible.  She smiled and tipped her hat at the lady.

"Good to meet you, Miss Stone!" As they approached the Wyvern Allison let out a gasp of appreciation. "U-Um, the name's Peter Conway!" She tried to manage a smile but found that a bit more difficult than expected with the lie. Hopefully Captain Stone wouldn't look too far into it.

@Greenbriar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back