• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Red Maiden of the Singing Forest

Characters
Here

Ian Temero

Knight of Swords
15157_1216571880_orig.jpg

An old poet, who's name has long been lost to the annals of time, once described standing on the top of a mountain to sitting upon the throne of the gods. While sitting on a god's throne was probably a grander and far more dangerous experience then climbing a giant rock, any who stood above the Crúbaí Nathair valley and seen the entirety of the Canadhforaoise stretched out below might forgive the comparison. A seemingly endless expanse of green covered the valley floor with a large river snaking its way through, it was easy to feel like you were staring at all of creation from on high. And yet, as it was with most things, it was a beauty that only an adult could appreciate; the view and symbolism lost on the young girl that skipped her way up the mountain trail, a basket hanging from her arm.

Rather the child's eyes were down on the ground, scanning the sides of the road until she found a patch of wild flowers. Rushing over she crouched down, faded green skirt bunching up under her, and began searching through the petals, examining each flower carefully. When she found one that passed her unknown requirements she plucked it up and added it to the collection in her basket before moving on to the next. Once she had gathered a handful she moved on down the road, skipping merrily as she hummed a happy little tune until she found another patch, where she repeated this process, oblivious to the man coming over the top of the hill.

Keidivh Keidivh

Time acts strangely when you're on the road, the days and nights of travel all just blurring together into an exhausting haze. When his journey first began it had all seemed so exhilarating. Arden had never stepped outside of the city walls in his life, there had never been a reason to. He was too young for his father to take him out into the world before he was executed for treason and the young boy was branded with a shame that would never leave him. Since then he had spent most of his days in the vicinity Nel's forge, the searing heat and scolding iron being a refuge in a place where his very existence was looked upon as wrong. Perhaps it made him a coward, but he simply couldn't stand the cold stares that didn't see a man, just a mark. His world was the forge, where the foul mouthed Nels mentored him and his little sister Ellia, a shining smile a near constant on her face. A bright light in what was otherwise a grim world. That light had been taken from him though, the Endless Sleep claiming Ellia and scores of other townsfolk, even the lords own son. That was what had spurred him to action, to take up his fathers squire equipment and set out into the world.

That first step outside of the city gates was like the moment a child stepped outside of his home and realized there was so much more to the world. Endless fields stretching out into the rising sun, grain stalks swaying in the wind as if bidding him fair journeys. A literal world of possibilities was before him, but there was only one destination the lad had in mind. Canadhforaoise. The place where the magic of the old world still dwelt, where legend was reality. Or so the stories went. It was to this mythical region he began heading towards with purpose.

Slowly his excitement and wonder faded as the journey took its toll. There was no horse for him to ride, no group to travel with to make his trek more bearable. Just himself, putting one foot in front of the other. Day after day, after day, after day. It was all he could focus on as he forced himself up another hill, legs throbbing with each stride. When he reached the top and saw what was before him, the awe and wonder he had felt when first leaving Brevis came back ten times as strong. The view in front of him was awe inspiring, the Crúbaí Nathair valley looking like a place untouched by the outside world. For the first time during his entire journey, Arden truly believed he had a chance in what he was doing. If ever there was a place where magic dwelt, it was here. The salvation of his sister, the redemption of his honor was here. "By Lughaidh, this might actually work. Heh, can't wait to see the look on Nels face when I come back with the cure." A small chuckle escaped Arden's lips, which quickly transformed into a racking cough. The past few days it felt as if the gods had opened the heavens upon his head, soaking him so thoroughly that his very bones felt like they had been chilled to the marrow. Suppose I'm lucky that the worst I have is a cough, could've ended up with a disease of my very own.

Recovering from his coughing bout, Arden soon realized that he wasn't the only person upon this path. A young girl, likely not even at her 10th summer was skipping about like she didn't have a care in the world, humming a happy tune to herself, her well worn green skirt dancing about her as she did so. It was strange to see someone so carefree and serene wandering about, he had never seen someone act like that in his home outside of... Ellia. For a moment he considered just trying to walk past her, thinking he would simply ruin the girls peaceful day when she saw the mark on his face. But while he had found Canadhforaoise, Red Haven had yet to reveal itself. He needed some help.

Taking a breath to calm himself, the disheveled lad made his way over to the girl, pulling his dirtied white hood as far over his face as he could. "Ugh, excuse me young one? I'm looking to reach the town of Red Haven, could you help guide me towards it?" Try as he might, Arden couldn't hide the exhaustion in his voice, every word sounding drained. As he waited, he noticed the girl not picking flowers but rather going through them, as if one of them was truly unique to the rest. Hm, the strangest things are of such great import to children. "Those are some lovely petals you've gathered, got quite the eye for those don't you?"

Last edited:
Whether she heard the man's first question, or simply chose to ignore it, the child continued to hum and pick through the flowers. It was only when Arden commented on the ones she had picked that she looked up and grinned at him. "Yep yep yep!" She chirped. She hopped up and skipped over to him to show off her collection. Bluebells, heather, daisies, marigolds, and wildflowers of every kind sat within, filling the container with color but no immediately obvious pattern to how or why they were there. If he were to examine the flowers closely though the traveler would notice they did have something in common. A missing petal, a slight discoloration, there wasn't a single plant that she had gathered that was perfect.

"Everyone likes flowers the same." She explained, walking back to the patch and continuing her search. "The same color, the same length, the same number of leaves. But same is boring! It's the flaws that makes something interesting." As she said this the young girl glanced back at him, her eyes settling on the scar that his hood failed to hide from her angle, but if she recognized it she gave no hint; her smile as innocent as when it first touched her lips. "Don't you think?"

A weary sigh escaped Arden's lips as it seemed his request for guidance went unheeded. It seemed the girl was quite serious when it came to picking flower petals. Well, I suppose I can admire her conviction if nothing else. He knelt down when the cheerful youth skipped over to him, apparently quite pleased that he had inquired about her growing collection. Not wanting to upset her, he showed as much interest he could muster in his exhausted state, sapphire eyes slowly scanning over the floral assortment. Now that he had gotten a better look, he could why it took her so long to choose a flower. Each one was different. Flawed in it's own way, whether it was torn petals, discoloration or even disease. It was not what he would have expected. Who would want a bouquet of imperfect flowers?

Apparently the child was some kind of mind reader, as she immediately began rambling about her reasoning for this. He expected it to be something childish such as thinking they were magical, or maybe it was some type of game. The true reasoning took him completely off guard, something Arden never would have thought of. When her eyes wandered to his brand his blood ran cold for a moment, expecting the typical reaction he always received. Instead that same shining smile was beaming at him. She didn't just see the brand. She saw something unique. She saw him. "Heh, you know, you're a very smart girl. And you're absolutely right." Reaching down, he rustled the girls hair, letting out a light laugh. The first one he had in days.

"If only more people saw things as you did."

The girl beamed at the complement, giggling as Arden ruffled her hair. "I know! Right?" She hopped away and twirled on her toes for no other reason then because it was fun. Once she was done with her spin she bounced on over to the edge of the road and stared of into the valley with a hand over her eyes to protect them from the sun. "Everythings bad 'cause of adults and adult thoughts. If adult could see like me and think like me, everything'd be good!"

She stood there quietly for a bit, a gentle breeze blowing by as she watched the forest below. Finally she raised her arm and pointed to a small brown patch just on the edge of the green. "That's Redhaven." She finally answered him, having decided that she liked him enough to be helpful. "Just follow the road a few hours."

Seeing the girl giggle and twirl about brought a bright smile to Arden's scarred face, in spite of how weary and sore he was. Being around such a vibrant and joyful spirit had a tendency to rub off on those near them, and the aspiring adventurer was thankful for it. Her twirling eventually led her to the edge of the road, scanning the horizon intently for something as she talked about how adults caused all of the bad things. "Heh, aye. We tend to muck things up don't we?" Arden couldn't help but wonder what it was like to see through eyes untainted by hatred, shame and dishonor. Such concerns were thrust upon him at such a young age that he couldn't recall a time when he ever did see the world in such a way.

Closing in his eyes, he simply enjoyed the moment, feeling the cool breeze that blew down from the mountains surrounding the valley carrying a fresh scent that he never knew in Brevis. In the distance the song of a few birds could be heard from the mythical forest, as if calling him to explore its mysteries. Unexpectedly the flower girl started speaking again, pointing out his way forward. Walking up beside her, he squinted his eyes, just able to make out the patch that seemed to be swallowed by the sea of green around it. Apparently she liked him enough to warrant the help, something the young man took a small bit of pride in. "I am in your debt mi'lady." He stated before bowing his head towards her. "Would you care to accompany me, or are there more interesting flowers that require your attention?"

If it was possible for the girl's grin to grow any wider it would have when Arden called her a lady, but she quickly wiped it form her face as she set her basket down and did her best impression of a 'proper lady'. "Thank you for the offer, kind sir, but I'm afraid I still have much to do." She barely managed to get out, with a cute little curtsy before she devolved into a fit of giggles.

Once she was done she scooped up her package and dashed down the road, pausing for a moment a short distance away to spin around and wave. "Bye-bye! And good luck with the lady!"

Seeing the girl smile so broadly brought no small amount of joy to Arden's own heart. Seeing her try to act like a highborn lady nearly caused him to break out in laughter, simply due to how adorable it was. He was hesitant to leave the girl by herself wandering the road, but he had not seen another soul for miles around atop the hill asides from her. She would be safe, the lass obviously knew the area well. The child began racing down the road before wishing him farewell and good luck with the lady.

... Wait, how does she know? Before he could ask her this however the girl was already on her way, quite eager to find her next unique flower. Was he simply hearing things? Delirious from countless days on the road? Arden couldn't rightly say. The one thing he did know was that Red Haven was near, which meant rest. More importantly, it meant his quest could truly begin.

The rest of his time on the road passed by relatively quickly as Arden enjoyed the serene surroundings of the valley. It felt as if he was completely disconnected from the real world here. Soon the brownish blob that the child had pointed out began coming into focus, actually resembling what looked like a town. The adventurer-aspirants pace quickened slightly, inspired by the sight and the imagining of an actual bed. Soon he reached the city gates, and the town finally came into full view as he entered.

To call it the stone structure at the village's entrance a "gate" may have been giving it too much credit. In fact there really was no gate to speak of. Perhaps once upon a time there had been a simple wooden door to keep livestock from wandering out, but now all that greeted Arden was a large gap between two short, cobblestone walls.

Redhaven itself wasn't anything special to look at. Arden would have seen plenty of towns like it as he got further from the capital, old places struggling to let new ideas in. Circular stone cabins with straw thatched roofs stood side by side with wooden houses. A masive fire-pit sat in the center of the village with hunks of meat being smoked around it, and beyond it was a trail leading into the forest, two stones erected on either side.

As the traveler walked down the road he'd find the people just living their lives. The women sat together, sewing clothes, churning butter, and gossiping. Children rolled around with dogs on their heals, laughing. Men were fixing their homes, skinning their hunts, or lugging heavy loads from place to place. One man in particular was struggling to move a cow that had decided it wasn't going anywhere.

In the center of town, near the fire, a group of children played a strange game; running around with sticks and rope, occasionally tossing them in the air, and chanting a song about a fairy called Windy Gale. On the other side of the fire there were three man in a heated debate. The first man was fairly young, dressed in the finest clothes that he was trying (and failing) to keep off the ground as he spoke. The second man, who's hair was only beginning to grey, was not wearing nearly as rich of clothes but held an air of authority. And the third, an old man in simple brown robes and a grey beard down to his belly button, leaned on a wild staff and watched the argument with amusement.

As the young would be adventurer grew closer to the town he could feel a small resurgence of energy throughout his body, the thought of reaching his destination giving him the drive he needed to complete this part of the journey. The closer he got, the more quaint the place seemed to become. There wasn't even a palisade, just a short cobblestone wall, with many of the stones crumbled on to the ground. If that was supposed to keep people out, he didn't imagine it did a very effective job. Then again in a village so isolated, they likely didn't need to worry about thieves or vagabonds, the journey far to long to be worth it.

Entering through the nonexistent gate it looked like any other small village dotted throughout the kingdom, a place that hadn't changed in generations. Huts and cabins were scattered about, the age of them quite evident by how worn the wood and stone was. What captured his attention was the trail leading out the other side of the village that led to the Singing Forest itself. "Canadhforaoise." He said breathlessly, stunned that he was truly here. The only thing that seemed to guard against the ancient forest was two stone pillars on both sides of the path.

Walking further in he got a chance to see what life was like for the villagers, and found it once more to be much like any other village. Men skinning their prey, chopping wood, while the women went about their wifely duties. The same lives their parents lived, and their parents before them. Life rarely changed in places like this. Arden wasn't sure to feel sorry for their almost predetermined lives, or envy the simplicity of it.

Arden walked into the town center, hoping he would be able to find someone to tell him... Well, something. Where he could rest, buy supplies. More importantly, tell him of the enchanted woods that lie beyond. Eventually his eyes wandered onto a rather interesting trio of men, two of whom were involved in a not quite friendly exchange. At least the elderly one seemed to be enjoying the spectacle. While he wasn't one to interject himself usually, he saw no one else that looked like they'd be able to tell him what he needed to know. Pulling his hood a little but further over his face, Arden made his way over.

"Excuse me sirs. Pardon my intrusion, but I am a stranger to your village, and was hoping to ask a few questions to help get my bearings."

"...did not come here to watch peasants live their pointless lives!" The young man was saying as Arden came within earshot, while the middle aged man looked like he was fighting the urge to strangle the rich brat.

"As I've already explained, sir, it isn't as common as you think. Usually a moon goes by between songs-"

"I've been here a moon!" The noble interrupted. "And the most exciting thing to have happened is a horse giving birth!" He then pointed at the old man. "What about him? He's a druid, right? Get him to make the forest sing!"

The old man raised a brow at this and just shook his head, the amused smile still on his lips. "Son," He finally spoke up. "A druid isn't some kind of nature wizard. Really we're little more than spokespeople for the nature spirits. Sure they're more inclined to listen to me if I ask them to do something, but I can no more command them than you could command your king."

The young noble didn't seem convinced. "So ask the forest to sing for me!" He demanded.

This time the old man chuckled. "Tell you what, boy. You go back to that stone cage you call Cliffside and get one of the many priests there to tell your gods to sing for you. Once the heavens finish entertaining you come find me and I'll tell mine."

The man opened his mouth to continue but that was when Arden decided to speak up. He shot the group a glare, giving an especially dirty one to the traveler, before spinning on his heals and storming off. With a sigh, the middle aged man began to turn towards Arden when the old man put a hand on his shoulder. "I'll see to this young man. Why don't go find out where Ronald is with the sacrifice?"

Mildly relived, the second man started towards the village entrance while the old man turned to Arden with a kind smile. "How can I help you, son?"

It seemed that Arden was not the only person who had come to Red Haven for the Singing Forest as the affluent youth continued ranting about wanting to hear the forest actually sing. Did the forest truly sing? He had just assumed it to be a fanciful name, but apparently there may have been some truth behind the title. Though the noble here seemed to be have little patience to hear the wonder himself, demanding the old man make the forest sing for him this very moment. Arden couldn't help but roll his eyes at the entitlement of the man, literally demanding that nature be made to bow to his whim simply for his amusement. Sadly it wasn't a surprise he acted this way, there were few nobles who acted in a manner the befit their station. Wise, even-handed, patient, just. Rare indeed was the lord who held even a spattering of these traits.

Still the druid was not bothered by the unreasonable demands, laughing them off as if he was being confronted by a child throwing a hissy fit, more or less telling the lad to sod off. It seemed Arden had interrupted just in time as to keep the noble from ranting any further, though it earned him a rather sharp glare. Great, exactly what I needed. The ire of a spoiled noble brat. Thankfully said brat seemed to have had his fill of dealing with the low-borns and stormed off, leaving Arden with an exasperated villager and chuckling druid.

Arden was glad to see that the druid was at least still willing to entertain strangers, offering him a surprisingly warm smile. Arden gave a small bow of the head to the man as he tried to make sure he didn't come off as a bumbling arse like the previous fellow. "Greetings sir, er, druid. I am Arden Duer of Brevis and have come here to... Well, I suspect the same reason many others come to this town." His eyes gestured towards what he meant, to the Singing Forest that lay past them. "I've come because I'm hoping the legends of that place are true, for the sake of my home and family. If you truly are a druid, you must know a great deal of Canadhforaoise, so I ask, what is the truth of this place. And almost as important, where can I find a bed around here?"

"Well met, Arden of Brevis." The old man bowed his head as well, pleased by the respect the young man was showing. "I'm Ciar Ó'Baoighill. And yes, Druid would be the appropriate title." Then he leaned forward and spoke in a low voice, as if telling Arden some secret. "But in my experience, it's only those infatuated with their own selfworth that insist on using titles."

Then the druid stroked his beard thoughtfully, considering his question. "The truth of the forest, huh? What a vague request. The forest does infact sing, if thats what your wondering. Anything more you may need to be specific. As for a bed I'm sure we can figure something out, though you'll need to speak to Chief Damhán when he gets back." Ciar motioned over to a few benches by the bonfire pit and moved to take a seat. "So what exactly would you like to know?"

A pleasant laugh came from Arden as the druid jested about his use of the title, somewhat surprised by his easygoing attitude somewhat. He imagined the druids of the Singing Forest to be wise sages who demanded respect and took everything far to seriously. Thankfully that didn't seem to be the case. "Heh, I suppose your right, if someone constantly needs to hear their titles from others they may not necessarily be worthy of it to begin with."

The adventurer scratched the back of his neck as he tried to think of how to phrase his question more carefully. Perhaps the plain and simple truth would serve him best? Walking over to the bonfire, a sigh of relief escaped Arden's lips as he relaxed onto the bench. "I must admit I'm intrigued to hear the forest sing, I'm sure it's awe-inspiring, but my reason for coming here is far more pragmatic. To be blunt, my home is in dire straits. A strange illness has taken hold there, and has recently taken hold of my sister as well. She is the dearest thing in the world to me, and there is no cure in sight." A forlorn look crept onto his face as he visualized Ellia bedridden, life slowly draining from her. His sapphire eyes began to grow misty as he continued. "My Ellia deserves so much more from life. That's why I came. Because the legends say in this forest there is a fiery haired witch with the power to cure any ailment. Maybe it's just a story... Maybe I'm a fool for travelling so far for something I don't even know truly exists."

Wiping the mist from his eyes, his voice took on an edge, each word filled with conviction. "But I'd travel to the ends of the earth if it meant saving her."

“Legend’s, huh?” Cair muttered under his breath, just barely loud enough to hear. When he spoke at his normal volume again he had dropped the teasing tone, giving Arden’s tale the seriousness it deserved. “No, I don’t believe you to be a fool. If I had a sister who had taken ill, I too would chase any hint at a cure. And while I don’t know if I would call her a ‘legend’ or a ‘witch’, there is a…” he paused to think of the word he wanted to use. “…gifted healer living in the Canadhforaoise, though she can be difficult to find if she doesn't want to be."

The druid pulled out a pipe and began packing tobacco into it as he thought about how to help the young man. It wasn't until after he had lit the weed and blew out a puff of smoke that he seemed to come up with something. "The lass likes to keep to herself, but I sometimes see her watching our rituals from a distance. Tomorrow we'll be going into the forest to preform a sacrifice for the Deargsaileach and, if you were to come along, it would probably be your best chance to meet her."

A small commotion from up the road caught his attention and he shook his head and took another puff. "Everytime..." he chuckled as the cow from earlier was all but crawling towards them, the man from before and the villager that had been arguing with the noble fighting to drag and push it every inch of the way.

When the druid confirmed that the witch of legend was not only real, but that he knew of a way that Arden could find her, he was overwhelmed. While he had every intention of finding a cure for his sister, part of him had believed the entire time that he would find nothing in Red Haven. It seemed all to fantastical to be true. Yet it was. For some time he simply sat there, a faint smile on his face as he stared at the ground. Perhaps she wasn't a witch, but she was known all throughout the land in tales. Surely if any had a chance of curing the Endless Sleep it was her. It was the best chance he had.

Finally the young adventurer stood and offered a small bow to the druid, placing a fist over his heart. "Thank you Ciar, truly I am in your debt. If there is any way I can repay you or Red Haven, I will do it." With that said Arden pulled down his hood, rubbing the stubble on his chin that had grown during his long trek, the scent of tobacco lingering heavy in his nose. If this 'healer' desired her privacy so much as to almost never be seen, it was likely she wouldn't be eager to assist some stranger that had traveled from a distant land. He would need to prove his worth in someway, win her trust. Hopefully he could think of something before he found her. If he found her.

Glancing over to the ruckus that seemed to be growing closer, Arden couldn't help but cock an eyebrow at the strange sight of a cow desperately trying to flee the druid. It was rather obvious what the sacrifice was, though it surprised him the the beast actually seemed to know of its fate. Truly this was an odd place to say the least. Disregarding it with a chuckle, Arden turned his attention back to Ciar. "Well, seeing as we have some time before this ritual is to begin, any way I can make myself of use?"

Last edited:
"Oh I'm sure there's something you could help with around here." The old druid said, taking another drag from his pipe. "Most of the prep work for the ritual has already been done, so you'll need to go ask around the town." As Arden removed his hood the old man caught sight the scar he had been hiding, but rather than say anything he simply raised a brow and turned his attention to the group of children from earlier as they ran past, laughing.

The kids' game had evolved from using sticks and ropes to a form of tag, though they were still singing about the the fairy Windy Gale. One child, whom had been chosen as 'Windy Gale' using the previous game somehow, ran around trying to touch the others who would then have to trail behind her. Once 'Windy Gale' had grabbed a few kid she would try to lead them to the pile of stick and ropes from before as they chanted about the tiny fairy who gathers the broken and unwanted children and takes them to the top of the mountains to let them fly free, while the kids who weren't caught tried to free the ones who were. The game ended when there was only one kid left who hadn't been taken to the mountain and that kid became the next 'Windy Gale'.

Cair turned his attention once more back to the cow to find that it had come to a complete stop, deciding it would rather eat from a patch of grass than follow the men who were trying in vain to move it. Chuckling and shaking his head once more, the druid motioned towards them. "If you'd like somewhere to start you could help those two bring that poor beast to me. I'd do it myself but, you know, old bones and all that."

Last edited:
When Arden felt Cair's gaze upon his face he held his breath for a moment, silently chastising himself for such a foolish mistake. He knew better than to put his hood down in public, it always brought trouble to him in some manner. Thankfully the old man largely ignored the strange scarring on his face. Perhaps he didn't understand what such a brand meant? Perhaps he simply didn't care? In either case the young adventurer didn't want to test his luck, and promptly pulled his hood back over his head as the children rushed by, eliciting a small smile from him as they played their strange game. He wasn't quite sure what to make of it, a fairy gathering 'broken' children to let them fly free off a mountain. It seemed rather odd, but then children's games were almost always odd weren't they.

When Cair spoke again Arden shifted his attention to the stubborn cow, that was now enjoying a nice snack before meeting its fate. In truth he wasn't quite sure how to lure the beast over, having lived in a city all his life he had never dealt with animals much before. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult. Hopefully. "Making me do the dirty work eh?" He asked with a playful smirk. "Very well old druid, I'll see to it." Giving a nod of thanks, he made his way over to the cow. Scratching at the stubble on his face, he tried to think of some way to lure the creature. Seeing as it was hungry, he grabbed a couple handfuls of tall grass, holding it in front of the cows face.

"C'mon girl... Come get the grass." Looking up to the other two men, he gave a small wave towards them as he continued to try and lure the cow forward. "Are they always so stubborn?"

As Arden walked away from Cair a breeze blew past him once more, carrying leaves and loose petals as it went. Despite his claims of being old he deftly snatched one of the leaves from the air and examined it. Long and round, dark green with its tips jagged like flames; the leaf of an elder tree. "Ruis, huh?" The druid muttered, glancing back up at the young traveler as he reached the cow. "How cryptic..."

The man who was originally trying to wrangle the cow grunted as Arden joined them. "Always!" He grumbled in response to the question, tugging at the bovine's leash. "The dumb beast are stubborn by nature! They don't know the definition of cooperation!"

"No. Ronald here just suck at handling animals." The middle aged man from before interjected from the beast's rump. "Let me tell you, not a single animal will listen to him. Cows, chicken, horses. Hell, even dogs will just ignore him. Spirits knows why he inherited the farm and not his brother." Just then the cow started forward, trying to get the grass Arden was luring it with, and he gave Ronald a smirk. "See? She even listens to a complete stranger over you."

Ronald just huffed. "Aw shut it, Chief."

Together the three of them managed to lead the cow to Cair without anymore trouble. Once they had her tied to a post, Ronald turned to Arden. "Thanks for the help, traveler." He said sheepishly, a little embarrassed that he had been showed up by a stranger. "I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Even children know about a carrot on a stick."

Meanwhile the chief pulled Cair aside. "So? What does he want?" he asked quietly.

"For now all he wants is a place to lay his head." The old man answered. When the chief squinted at him, clearly not satisfied with the answer, Cair placed a hand on his shoulder. "He seems like a good lad, polite and respectful. And he has a good reason to be here, though it's not my story to tell. Besides, a good wind blows for him, so let's show him hospitality."

Slipping the leaf from before into a bag at his side, the druid traded it for a bundle of leaves and approached the cow. He lit the tip of the plants on fire and waved the smoke under the beast's nose, who in a matter of second seemed to fall into a trance. Untying it from the post, Cair smiled at Arden. "Well then, Arden, I will see you back here at sunrise." He then walked off, the cow following him freely, rope dragging in the dirt behind it.

Ronald stared after him jaw dropped, while the chief just shook his head and started to say something to Arden, but paused when he noticed that the children had all stopped playing and were all staring at the sky. He looked up himself, but couldn't find anything. "Hey kids!" He called out to them. "What are you doing?"

One of the kids called back, "We're waiting for Windy Gale! She said she'd bring us flowers at noon!"

The chief rolled his eyes and turned back to Arden. "Children. I have no idea where they come up with these things. They just made up this Gale character a few years back... Anyways, I'm Chief Damhán. I understand that you're looking for somewhere to stay?"

Admittedly, Arden was expecting to lure the cow so quickly or easily. Almost as soon as it caught whiff of the grass before him the bovine began to pursue the would be adventure eagerly, much to the embarrassment of the man known as Ronald and the amusement of the chief of Red Haven. Part of the young lad felt just the smallest bit bad for showing up the man at something that should have been easy for him, but the fact he got to prove himself in front of the chief was well worth it. Of course getting a cow to follow you really wasn't all that great an achievement to brag about, but he had a hint of pride in the act all the same.

Once the cow had reached the druid, Arden slapped Ronald on the back, trying to offer him an encouraging smile. "Think nothing of it friend, just beginners luck is all. I'm sure you're quite the hit with the livestock usually." As he spoke to rather unsuccesful animal handler, Arden's attention largely shifted over to Cair as the chief spoke to him, and he had a feeling he knew what the subject of their talk was. This place clearly didn't get many visitors, and when they did they were likely a burden or annoyance to the locals much like the pompous noble lad that had been here before him. He would have to make sure he proved he was made of different stuff.

Once their talk was ended, Cair walked over to the offering, waving some burning leaves beneath the poor creatures snout, putting it into a true trance. Arden waved his farewell to the druid as he walked off before cocking an eyebrow. "Wait, so he could have done that the whole time?" He asked to no one in particular. Was it part of the whole ritual that the offering had to be dragged over to him, or did the old man just like watching people struggle. Part of him honestly hoped it was the latter, it was more amusing that way.

When the chief turned to address him Arden stood at attention, a natural reaction for when he was before someone of authority. Such interactions rarely went well, and while this man hadn't given him any reason to be afraid, he couldn't help but feel slightly apprehensive when his stern gaze fell upon him, sweating forming on the back of his neck. Thankfully his attention was drawn to the children as they continued to play their strange game, that oddly enough baffled even the chief. Arden had assumed it to be some local legend, not something the kids simply made up. It seemed far to intricate a story for young minds to make up. But then he remembered the young girl he had encountered on the road, who seemed wiser than most he had met throughout his life. Perhaps these tykes were as well?

Still, the whole thing left him feeling uneasy.

When the chief got back to speaking to Arden, he was quick to cross his arms across his chest to salute Damhan, bowing slightly. "Ugh, yes sire that is correct. Make no mistake I do not wish to burden any of your people here. I will earn my stay." He stated resolutely, hoping his earnesty came across.

His eyes then drifted back over to the children's game, his mind still dwelling on it. "So they made this up themselves then? I did believe it was part of some local legend. I even met a young girl on my into the village collecting damaged flowers. Is that part of their game as well?" It must have been, as the girl was likely collecting them for that very purpose.

When Arden mentioned the girl the chief frowned. “Alone? Damn it, I keep telling the kids not to leave town by themselves. When I find out whose child she is I’ll have her parents give her a talking to.” One would think that after ten years he would be used to the troubles that came with running a town, but each new curious child born, angsty teenager aged, and entitled noble met, Damhán’s headaches grew.

The chief massaged his temples for a second before returning his attention to the main issue. “Normally I’d direct you to the inn but, no offence, you don’t look like you could afford it.”

“That’s ‘cause its overpriced.” Ronald piped in with a snicker, taking a seat on the bench the druid had previously been occupying. “Moirin’s revenge against the rich brats that occasionally plague us. How about old Jarret’s?”

Damhán waved off his suggestion. “Ewen’s place is so full of holes we might as well make the young man sleep outside.” The two passed a few half-hearted ideas back and forth before they came to a decision on a family whose oldest daughter had recently moved out, though the chief still had some reservations. “I don’t know, letting a man live with a married woman while her husband is away…”

“It’ll be fine! Everyone knows that the Colquhoun’s are as in love today as they were eighteen years ago, and Saundra could probably use an extra hand what with the baby and all. Plus I’m sure the young lad will keep his hands to himself. Right boy?”

As the two men discussed where Arden would be able to stay his mind drifted, the thought of a bed of any sort sounding like a gift from the gods themselves. Damhán wasn't wrong when he said Arden wouldn't be able to afford a room at an inn. Truth be told he hadn't slept in an actual bed since he left Brevis. It never occurred to him how lucky he had been to have had a bed to lie his head in. Most of his nights had been spent in a worn bedroll, occasionally diving into a stable or shed if he was lucky.

Eventually they seemed to settle on the home of a woman who's husband was away on some business. Admittedly he felt a tad bit awkward staying in the home of a married woman whose husband would likely not be to keen on the idea. If they trusted that he could stay there without causing trouble though, the Arden would prove himself worthy of it. He needed everything to go as smoothly as possible if he was to find the witch that dwelt in the forest before him.

A few harsh coughs wracked his body for a moment, a reminder of the storm that had thoroughly drenched not long ago before answering Ronald. "By my honor, I would never lay a hand on her and assist her in whatever she asks, it's the least I can do." Grabbing his pack, Arden prepared to follow the duo to a long awaited rest, likely the last good one he'd get before his journey truly began.

The chief stared at Arden for a little bit, not quiet convinced it was a good idea, but after Ronald's prodding and Arden's declaration he finally relented. "Alright," he grunted "Let's go talk to her. If she's uncomfortable with it though then-" He began walking down the road leading further into town but was interrupted when a familiar voice called out for Damhán. Groaning, the man waved the two of them off as he went to deal with the nobleman and whatever his latest problem was.

"Guess it's just you and I then." Ronald commented, motioning for Arden to follow. They didn't travel far, only about three homes down when they stopped. It was an actual house, as compared to the huts and cabins around it, with multiple stories (two specifically), a short picket fence around the lot, and appeared to be one of the newer building in town, with the exception of the hulking three story inn at the end of the road. Opening the gate, Ronald ushered the traveler,
Aifric Colquhoun.jpg
scooping up one of the chickens wandering the yard as it made a break for the exit, and closed it behind them. Setting the bird down, who was clearly not happy to be in his arms. "Don't you worry about a thing," the man assured Arden as he carefully picked his way around the pissed off fowl (that was focused solely on him) and knocked on the door. "You seem like a good lad so I'm sure Saundra won't turn you away."

The door opened slightly and a girl in her young teens poked her head out cautiously. Upon noticing who was on the porch however her eyes lit up and she all but threw it open the rest of the way. "Uncle Ronald!" She cheered, shooing the ornery chicken away and giving him a big hug. "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be delivering the sacrifice to old man Cair?"

"Already finished!" He assured her, ruffling her hair, to which she complained. "So I thought I'd come see my favorite niece! I also need to talk to your mom. Is she around, Aifric?"

Peering around Ronald to get a good look at Arden, Aifric nodded her head. "Yeah. Let me call her." She answered, turning around and shouting through the doorway. "Mom! Uncle Ronald's here and says he needs to talk to you!" There was a reply that was a bit too quiet to for the two of them to understand, too
Saundra Colquhoun.jpg
quiet for her too as she sighed. "Just a minute..." She told them before stepping inside. She poked her head around a corner just as something else was said that they couldn't quite catch. "No Mom, it's not the noble! It's Uncle Ronald!" Another thing the couldn't hear. "He says he needs to talk to you! And there's some strange man with armor and a sword with him!"

A moment passed and a woman came around the corner in a bit of a hurry, worry on her face. "Ronald? What's going on?" She asked, glancing back and forth between the two men, specifically focusing on Arden's armor and sword.

Approaching his temporary home away from home, Arden had to stop to admire it for a moment. It wasn't anything spectacular, being about the size of the foyer from one of the grand manors from Brevis. Even still, there was a certain warmth to it that homes in the city seemed to be lacking. Truly he had done nothing to earn such accommodations, all he had expected was a small shack to keep him out of the rain. Perhaps when Ellia is finally better I can bring her here, away from a city that despises us. After all I already owe these people a debt I can never repay. One step at a time though Arden, let's just see if you'll even be had there.

While the Chief still understandably had his doubts, Ronald seemed ready to place a great deal of trust in Arden. It was something he was quite unfamiliar with. His entire life he had struggled to prove he was a decent person, to overcome what society saw him as. To be so openly embraced by someone who didn't know him was, odd to say the least. Even to those who didn't bear such a mark of shame, strangers were treated with but the smallest amount of courtesy in Brevis. As Ronald found himself being assailed by an irritated chicken, Arden had the feeling he was just a kind, naive lad, if not somewhat dim at times. "My thanks Ronald, truly you have shown me far more kindness than I deserve. Are you sure you're going to make the journey though?" Truly this chicken had a vendetta against the poor man as it clucked viciously, pecking away at his feet. "Do all the livestock have it out for you, or is this just an off day?"

Before he could get an answer to the friendly jibe, the door swung open as a young girl swung the door open before saving her poor uncle from the vicious chicken. A sweet lass to be sure, likely only a few years older than Ellia, bristling with infectious joy. Arden made sure to keep quiet, not wishing to interrupt such a sweet moment. Of course it wasn't long til she was calling out for her mother, and her description of him certainly didn't paint a flattering picture. The last thing anyone ever wanted to hear was that some strange man that was armed to the teeth was standing outside of your house. As the mother appeared at the doorway the would-be adventurer half expected to be smacked in the face with a cast-iron skillet.

Thankfully that wasn't the case, though she still didn't look to thrilled with the situation. "Ah, forgive me miss, er, madam. I didn't mean to cause alarm, I was just hoping if I could stay here? I mean if that's alright! I know you're married, but the chief said it would be fine... Hop in here whenever you care to Ronald." Arden couldn't help but wince as he stumbled over his words. The young lad didn't often have the chance to speak to beautiful women, in fact they hardly ever gave them the time of day. Trying to ask one if he could stay in her house was awkward. Or perhaps he was just awkward?

As Arden stumbled over his words Ronald sighed at the problem Ellia had just caused. Sometimes her couldn't tell if was just oblivious or if she did these things on purpose. "It's alright, Saundra." He stepped in to reassure her. "The young lad's a traveler who's in need of a place to stay for a few days. We were talking with the Chief about it and knew that you'd have an open room since Kiara moved in with Jaxx's family and figured that you could use a hand around the house till Murchadh gets back."

Saundra frowned at him, not convinced. "If he needs a place to stay, why my home? Why not the inn? That's where travelers usually stay."

"The rich ones, sure." Ronald chuckled. "Which the young lad here is not. He seems like a good kid and if it helps Druid Cair vouched for his character. I can too, for whatever my opinion's worth."

At the mention of the druid, the lady-of-the-house seemed to relax a little, though she still eyed Arden with suspicion. "Well if both Damhán and Cair are in on this I might as well hear him out." She stepped out of the doorway and motioned for them to come in. "Take a seat in the living room and I'll be with you in a moment. Ellia, sweetie, could you go put the kettle on?"

As mother and daughter disappeared deeper into the house, Ronald led Arden into the main room just left of the door. If the size and type of the house hadn't been a tell that the family was better off than most in town then the common room would be a dead giveaway, with upholstered furniture on a large brightly colored rug, and a collection of unusual objects decorating the room, ranging from vibrantly painted pots and tiny statues from unknown regions to exotic weapons and jewelry. And sitting at the table, seeming a little out of place in the fancy room, was a dirty young boy playing with carved wooden figures of knights, horses, and monsters. Of them four figures were painted, a man with a crimson spear, a black horse with gold eyes, a small girl with wings, and a large purple snake with nine heads.
Ádhamh Colquhoun.jpg

"Hello there, Ádhamh." Ronald called out to him. The boy looked up glanced at the two of them, but rather than returning the greeting he just went back to playing with his toys. Ronald frowned a bit and tried again, sitting down on the couch near near him. "So? How's my nephew doing?"

"Fine." Was the only answer he got from the boy, who didn't even bother looking up this time.

Sighing, Ronald shook his head and turned back to Arden. "So this is Ádhamh." He introduced, reaching over and ruffling the kid's hair. The boy scrunched up his face, pushed the man's hand of his head, and scooted away from him a bit before returning to his game. "He's a bit of an odd one as you can tell, but he's still a good kid."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back