• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Rebardi Effect

dandy

attention slut
THE REBARDI EFFECT

The world didn't end with a boom - no, it ended scream by scream. It's been seven months since Dr. Rebardi's attempt at reviving his family backfired and the world has never seen a darker time. Today would have once been considered a beautiful day, and though the optimistic still find the days beautiful, even the happiest couldn't deny the reality of the situation. The sun shined brightly and the wind was gentle, though it carried the scent of death with it. The beautiful city pavements once walked by an assortment of people now stained with human and undead blood alike - the only people who dare walk them now being zombies. Those who remain alive chose to stick to safe areas, high places where zombies can reach, only daring to come down when they are in need of food or shelter from weather. Today is rather calm, though. Calmer than usual, anyway. Only about a dozen of the undead roam the streets, making it safer for the living to scavenge. Where will your characters be?

Last edited:
A squeak of metal scraping against metal could be heard from streets over, the sound travelling farther than usual as it were rather quiet outside. Elliot cringed visibly as he opened metal door to the storage unit he and Spencer had considered home for a few weeks now. He hoped none of the Deadies had heard, though frankly, he'd be surprised if they didn't. He was thankful only a dozen or so seemed to litter the streets, though they did seem to notice the noise opening the door had caused. He cursed under his breath and retreated inside to grab one of the few make-shit weapons he and Spencer had collected over time and chose a baseball bat. Under normal circumstances, or as normal as it got in times like these anyway, Elliot would have simply waiting behind the storage unit's fence until the Deadies lost interest, but they needed supplies. Both he and Spencer hadn't eaten for a couple of days and there should have been some remaining food at the store down the road.

Leaning inside for a moment, Elliot motioned for Spencer to follow him, determining it was safe enough for her to be outside. Spencer, as she was told to do, grabbed a weapon, a lead pipe, of her own before stepping outside, grabbing her father's hand with her free one. Neither her nor her father liked her to be carrying weapons but he made sure she carried on at all times in case he wasn't there to protect her for whatever reason. Elliot hated the idea of her being unsafe more than he hated her carried weapons and he was willing to compromise. Elliot sighed as he began walking to the small store, holding onto Spencer's hand the entire time. They arrived within thirty minutes and only had to delay once or twice when a Deadie crossed their way, which Elliot dealt with accordingly. He still felt guilty for it, though, but he knew he had no choice.

Elliot and Spencer both gagged upon entering the store. The smell of the killed Deadies from a previous trip to the store still remained in the floor in a dried pile of blood, the smell so strong and sickly Spencer nearly retched. The inside of the store was free of Deadies, though it didn't surprise the pair much. On previous trips to the store, they had barricaded it in such a way that it would be difficult for the Deadies to get in but simple enough for living beings. Shelves were toppled over and the supplies remaining were all over the floor. "Grab as much as you can," Elliot whispered very quietly and Spencer nodded in understanding. She wasn't able to carry as much as her father was due to her small size, but she'd certainly try. She scooped the bottom of her dress into a makeshift pouch and put her the lead pipe in the pouch as well as a few cans of peas, mustard greens and, even better, applesauce she found.

They were in and out rather quickly, Spencer walking in the front this time so Elliot could keep an eye on her. It would be more difficult for them to fight if a Deadie attacked them with the food they both carried, after all.
location: on the street - - - interactions: none - - - mentions: nobody​

Mari watched as the pair exited the building and eyed what they held carefully, she had hidden the moment she had heard wheels approaching and frowned when she saw the child. How a child could survive this environment could only mean a few things, she ignored those thoughts for now and looked at what they had taken. She frowned at how much they had taken and mentally went over her own current stash. Mari decided she should probably move on pretty soon and see if there was another store that was in better condition, or perhaps a house that hadn't been ransacked yet. Those were getting harder to come by and Mari made a mental note to check he traps again later today, and to perhaps start searching the deadies more thoroughly.

Mentioned dandy dandy

location- rooftops
interactions- none

Gwen had herself positioned atop the roof of an abandoned apartment building, observing those below. She was passing through town and needed a safe place to stay the night. Never staying in one place for too long, the girl had probably done more sight-seeing during the apocalypse than she had done previously.

Running solo seemed to be working for her, nobody else to look out for, nobody to compromise with, nor anyone to be afraid of. It was quite peaceful at times, but sometime the lack of sleep got to her. It wasn't easy, while she enjoyed her solitude to an extent it was always safer in numbers.

From her perch on the roof, several of the dead littered the streets. Some still walking, most crawled. Missing arms, legs, torsos, you name it, she's seen it. Smelled it. Ran from it. Shot it. Sometimes that was the only thing she could remember, the faces.

All the other memories melded together into a grey muddle, nothing special, nothing as vivid and grotesquely real as the faces of those long dead. Horrifying, and morbid, that's true, but it was something solid. A constant, if you will, something unchangeable. There was no fixing this, there would be no cure. Sure as the sun rises, she could count on the hard days and long nights of survival, it was predictable in a way.

a56943ed6dbae62ccb183f6ad5d9c11d--manga-boy-manga-anime.jpg

The Blackened Rose
Bells, toll bells. The hallowed sound of time creeping up my skin swam in my hands as piranhas. The sadness of all of humanity could not forge the shackles on my body. The weight of the chains chastised me, burning me as the light of angels. All the while I found my way into a humble flower shop, the scene felt calm. One that never seemed to indulge me in my sorrowful circumstance. The past fortnight has gobsmacked me. Previously, a man approached this pile of trash, he had settled there for four months. Then he vanished without a trace. While it tingles my back at the thought of what else in store this world has for me, I tend not to rely on conjecture.

Quickly I exit the flower shop onto the general street. Hopefully, nothing will cross my path...

With Spencer in front of him and only a few Deadies littering the street, Elliot felt confident that they could take the short cut and walk on the street sidewalk on their way back to the storage unit. Normally, they'd be on top of buildings and staying upon them for minutes until they found clearings, but that was much too difficult when you were lugging rather heavy cans of food around. As long as Elliot was prepare to drop his cans and grab the baseball bat he had looped through his belt loop in the case that a Deadie did disturb them, he felt they'd be fine.

The pair had walked by another store similar to the one they had just got their food from, though it was rather empty, the only thing inside being stuff many people couldn't find a need for: baby supplies, food that had rotted before anyone could grab it, and more. He had made a mental note of what was in there before, however, just in case it came to them eating - or rather drinking - the baby formula that was inside. It sounded absolutely disgusting and he was thankful for the supplies they had no for the time being. As he glanced at the store, however, he noticed what appeared to be a Deadie at first. They would need to walk beside the Deadie if they were to get to their storage unit safely, so he quietly moved his cans to one arm and unhooked his bat from his belt loop. As he prepared to sneak up on the Deadie, he stopped in his tracks, Spencer looking back at him with a lifted brow.

It was then, they noticed, that this Deadie was not dead at all. She didn't stink - well, she did, but she didn't smell like a normal Deadie. She smelt like the dead, not like she was dead. The thought made sense in his mind. His mouth hung open slightly and Spencer let out a small gasp. They both had a hard time believing they were seeing a real person and figured the fatigue was making them hallucinate or something. Elliot looped his bat back in his belt loop and sat his cans down on the ground, urging Spencer to do the same. They could grab those again later and even if someone was alive, didn't mean they were friendly. Elliot wanted to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

He grabbed Spencer's hand and came out from the corner of the building, finally getting at the girl. She seemed to had noticed them already and didn't seemed too phased at seeing another, living person. Or rather two. Elliot and Spencer both stood in a stunned silence until Spencer broke the silence, tugging on the girl's pants. "Are you real?" she asked in a wondrous tone. They hadn't seen another person in months. Not besides each other and his wife.
location: store entrance - - - interactions: mari | rubycats rubycats

Last edited:
Mari had been thoroughly looked when she heard footsteps behind her, despite this she kept her back turned and was silently ready to take them down if necessary. She also heard smaller quitter footsteps upon listening closer and she realized that it must be the pair from earlier. She continued looking away until they came to face her directly, upon closer look her eyes were drawn to the child before going back to the man. When Spencer came closer and pulled on her tights she looked down at the girl, "I'm as real as it gets. Are you?"

dandy dandy

Spencer allowed a small smile to show on her face, bringing her hands over her mouth to stifle a giggle that escaped her. Her eyes filled with tears and, without a word, she hugged the legs of the girl they had just met. She was overcome with joy at the moment, so thankful for seeing another living person, and one she thought was funny too. "W-well obviously I'm living too," she giggled again, forgetting to stifle it this time. She held out a hand for the girl to shake, proud of her sense of manners. "It's nice to meet you! I'm Spencer. You can call me Spence, though. Daddy does."

Elliot simply watched the scene play out in front of him, feeling a variety of emotions. Part of him wanted to get Spencer away from the stranger - here she was hugging her and telling her her name, and he didn't mean to toot his own horn, but his wife and him did a great job of teaching her about strangers. There were no laws nowadays, who knows what this stranger could possibly do to a young girl. Another part of him was feeling a bit sad. He figured she must be missing her mother and replacing her with any female figure she could find. He really hoped that wasn't the case - he thought they had been somewhat getting over his precious Emma's death. He cursed himself for not realizing he was wrong.

Elliot shook his head, bringing himself back to the present instead of his world of emotion. He put his hand on the small of Spencer's back and lead her inside the store, nodding his head for Mari to follow them inside. He figured it would be safer to remain inside rather than on the streets - especially if they were to decide to talk more. The noise attracted the Deadies. Once inside, he allowed himself to watch the scene between his daughter and this stranger carefully, making sure to notice any sign of the stranger being a threat. He may be too cowardly to attack a living person - God forbid a girl - but he wouldn't hesitate if she dared lay a finger on Spencer.

Spencer smiled at the girl, her face full of joy. "You should travel with us! We have food and some supplies, though not too much. There's a store that has a lot of cans in it still! We even found applesauce." As Spencer continued babbling, Elliot's mouth fell open. She did not just invite a stranger to join them.
location: in store - - - interactions: mari | rubycats rubycats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back