• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Queen's Lament

Finn was a clever man. He knew how to look at a situation and assess what was happening. He smirked as he was thrown backwards, landing gracefully a few feet away. He may not have landed a hit, but he had learned something. She couldn't see him. She had waited till the last second to react, he presumed Spindel had let her webs do the "seeing" for her - feeling for him rather than watching him.

Another circle around the Queen confirmed this in his head. Finn had noted before that she did not spin to watch as he circled before his first attack, and now, as he circled a second time, he realised his earlier judgement was true - she couldn't see very far in her current state. He didn't know much about her species, but he knew that even regular spiders used their webs to find prey, reacting to the vibrations of movement.

Finn circled a third time, trying to calculate his next move. He had gotten so close. If he could take out the webs...She'd just create more. Maybe if he attacked from behind. Finn, thinking very carefully about his movements, tried to creep as silently as the ground would allow. He bent and picked up some dirt, darted forwards and threw the handful at the webs in front of Spindel, waiting for her to react before launching forwards, claws outstretched again.

Spindel's attention went back to the ground, her senses were primed, waiting for Finn to venture closer and to trip her webs. She could've left some attached to the man, but the thought hadn't crossed her mind until after she'd repelled his attack. He wasn't making a whole lot of noise, so she couldn't track him via sound.
She wondered where he'd attack from this time, her webs were ready, this time, they were barbed, so if, and when, Finn made contact they'd dig into his skin and remain attached.
This was how arachnids did battle, once they had a web under their skin, an arachnid cold twist their minds and motivations. Spindel wasn't planning on doing this however, as it was rather unfair in a spar, however, as the thought crossed her mind, she felt something brush her webs, and her attention snapped to.

She realized a second too late, as Finn was not what had triggered her webs, rather is was dust, or dirt. She took a step backwards, and a wall of webs shot up, temporarily surrounding Spindel.
Ignis smirked. "Smart move". she spoke aloud as Finn faked Spindel out. Getting around the webs unscathed was only half the battle, if someone managed to scratch her, arachnids had a healing factor that rivaled vampires. The only thing that could do any real damage was fire, but unless Finn had a hidden elemental talent, that wouldn't be an issue in this fight.
Spindel's barrier dropped after a moment, and her webs went up, these were thicker and sported large barbs on them.

"Tsk," Finn tutted to himself. He heard Ignis' appraisal, but wouldn't accept it. He still hadn't landed a hit - but he was still learning. As he retracted his fist, and Spindel's new barrier rose, Finn leaped back once more, a small itching sensation on his arm. At least one of her barbs had caught him. He hadn't seen them, he figured he wouldn't even if he tried. Yet, his Queen still couldn't see.

Once more, he began circling, silent as ever. Finn was now strongly contemplating the need to shift, but it was a last resort for him as the pain left him open for a few vital seconds. Calculating his next move, he continued his silent steps, waiting to see if perhaps she'd make the next move. Surely she had something up her sleeve.

And so he crept, and waited, looking for an opening, a weakness... anything that would allow him to end this and prove himself.

Spindel's gaze moved upward, and she seemingly stared blankly ahead. Pricking the man told her a lot, like at the moment, he was trying to think of a way to get around her webs. They could be here all day like this, a never ending cat and mouse game. Spindel didn't want that, she disliked this sort of thing, as it really wasn't fair to throw one man against someone who could function as a one man army... That aside, she liked Finn, and wanted him to be approved, mainly because she was so curious about the world he might've come from.
So, rather than draw things out and remain on the defensive, Spindel figured she could go on the offensive, and make this more of a fight.

Spindel raised a hand upwards, pointing at the sky she spoke a single word. "...Attack".
All at once, the webs that had been hanging idly in the air went rigid, before lashing out in all directions. Spindel didn't need to see if she could attack all around her in a fell swoop. The dainty webs grew thicker by combining, as they hit the ground they left deep grooves, and tiny black barbs in their wake. these thing had enough force to break through concrete blocks, or break the bones of anyone they managed to hit. The downside of this attack however, was it left Spindel open, mainly from above.

Lowering her hand, she waited to see what Finn's next move would be.

Finn watched as Spindel raised a single hand, speaking her one word. So, she had decided to attack after all. Finn grimaced as the webs came hurtling towards him, looking for a way to escape the impending doom. His eye scanned the area in the few seconds he had.... There.

With all the strength he could muster, Finn leapt into the air, dodging through a miniscule gap in the onslaught and lined up to attack from above Spindel. This was his last shot, he was beginning to run out of ideas and he needed this to work somehow. Launching back down towards her, he outstretched his claws once more, aiming to leave the smallest of marks on her face so that this could end. He got the feeling that she was just as eager to end this as he was.

Sending out a silent prayer to the Gods, Finn dropped faster and faster. Here we go, he thought to himself.

Ignis looked on, curious as to why Spindel seemed to be holding back some. She'd broken the legs of a man during one of these trials, yet she was being patient here, much like the spiders her kind resembled. She figured it was because she was curious about Finn and wanted him to pass, coupled with the fact Ignis knew she really didn't like these trials. Spindel disliked needless fighting, and this was about as needless as it could get in her eyes. Ignis knew that Sin could've guarded from above, but instead, she left herself open, and Finn being the crafty man he was, lept into the air to take full advantage. Given how Spindel remained perfectly still, Ignis knew that she had every intention of letting Finn scratch her so this could be done with.
The other guards looked on in awe, as most people didn't get so close, so easily.

Spindel looked up as Finn jumped, a web had nicked him, so she knew which way he was going.
Good, she thought. That just meant this could end sooner rather than later. She felt Finn had showed he was more than qualified, and something told her he hadn't even gone all out for this fight. She certainly hadn't, but doing that could level a portion of the castle, and that wasn't a headache Spindel needed.
Before Finn could land Spindel looked up at him, and cocked her head to the side.
I suppose this means you win? She projected her thoughts so Finn could hear them one other benefit of having her barb under his skin.

As he was landing, Finn felt rather than heard an alien voice within his head. Though, he knew it. It was Spindel. As much as this threw him off, he landed his hit nicking her cheek, careful not to do more damage than necessary. He only had to place a scratch. His feet hit the floor and Finn stared up at the woman in bewilderment. This trick was definitely one he hadn't seen coming. "I guess it does. You're good, but I expect you're way better." He smirked. Finn knew that the pair had held back, both unwilling to use more energy than was really required - no point wasting talent on something so trivial.

Nonetheless, Finn was pleased. He had done what was asked and now he just needed the confirmation that the job was his - he hoped he'd done enough. Sure he managed the scratch, but he didn't know if they found his technique sloppy or insufficient for protecting one so important. At the same time, he could feel the eyes of the guards watching them, having enjoyed their little match, and Finn reckoned they didn't see this much. Finn turned to face Ignis, hopeful of his performance. "So, did I pass?"

A small smile came to Spindel's face. "Well, the last time when I didn't hold back...I may have accidentally broken the legs of one of our potential hires. Needless to say, this made the others less keen on the job...besides that, I find you interesting...it would've been a shame if I'd broken you as well". She spoke aloud before looking to her guards, mainly a bigger man wearing green armor with silver filigree. "I hope that Finnian's display has pleased you, Captain Lawson".
Lawson stepped forward as he was addressed, he was a big burly man who was on the tall side, the pointed ears seen from under his helmet suggest he was of fae ancestry. "If you approve my queen, I see no reason to dispute your decision".
This was what he said, but his tone wasn't lost on Spindel, Lawson was a very picky man, and she knew he probably had doubts about this strange young man who came from outside their kingdom. That being said, he was never the type to go against her will.

Ignis smiled and approached the pair. "You passed...all in one piece even". She chuckled, looking to Spindel. "Congratulations, you are now the newest member of the Queens royal guard". There was a small round of applause from the other soldiers, which was ended as Ignis raised a hand. "Now then, you lot, back to work, Spindel".
The queen looked to her second in command. "I am aware I have a meeting to be attending Ignis, and you need to find Finn a set of armor and a weapon that suits him".
Ignis looked to Finn. "She's right, so if you'll follow me". she spoke as she turned and walked back toward the castle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back