• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Living Waste of Mekhallah

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Meatball30

Ball of Meat
IMG_1172.jpg

Alkhafat, the Sheikhdom of Mekhallah

The gentle crunch of hooves on packed dirt resonated around the noble riders. For over three weeks, that familiar refrain, beasts trotting obediently towards their destination, had been one of the only sounds breaching an anxious silence, save for the occasional grunt from one of the animals and sparse conversation among the three dozen horsemen, most now haggard from their journey. Under normal circumstances, the party would have sailed directly from Tawira Mundh and up the Qaara River to reach Alkhafat, but atypical times and the Sultan's mandate demanded they instead make landfall at Junadina, traveling overland from the south.

They had made quite a sight, traveling with several magi, as many Sand Striders, pack camels and royal steeds, and two large wagons for supplies. In such dire times, any caravan so rich would make tempting prey for any would-be robbers, but the sight of the Sand Striders' blue cloth had been their deterrent.

One of the royal party's tasks had been to assess the true extent of the Living Waste's expansion, and without a doubt they had found the tales spun by Sand Striders and common folk alike featured little exaggeration. For hundreds of miles along the road to Mekhallah, the dull expanse of the Living Waste hung on the horizon like a stalking predator. It had been less apparent in the northern reaches of Misardun, where much of the landscape was already made up of dry steppes bleeding into rolling dunes. Along the banks of the Qaara river, however, just south of the Earthspine Mountains which had begun to crest into view, the earth was fair to its occupants. The land had always been hard, but vegetation and wildlife were not uncommon sights. Desolation had no home here, yet here it was, laid bare before them.

The man at the head of the party, a pale figure with a countenance like bearded porcelain, turned his gaze to the east. The hardy shrubs and short trees of Mekhallah extended towards the skyline, but he could see they eventually tapered off into nothing but loose sand drifting with the wind. These dunes seemed bleaker than they had any right to be. The sun battered them more grimly than was natural, their heat dire and wicked. The unnatural sight tied a knot of anxiety in the elderly man's stomach. His horse, a brilliant black stallion with a coat which shimmered magnificently under the sun's intense rays, loosed a low whinny, as if he could sense the doom his rider feared.

Here before the elder was an enemy not so easily defeated with spouts of fire or a swordsman's tricks. Most of his illustrious life had been dedicated to felling armies and besieging cities. From the southern jungles to the far north's rugged frontiers, how many men had fallen to his magical prowess or his tactical abilities over the years, he wondered? How many commanders had he bested in service to his closest friend and dearest Sultan? Enough to earn that moniker he hated for its accuracy - "The Sultan's Spear," many called him. Like the weapon, his bloody career was marked by effective, if fairly straightforward victories. He'd rarely been flashy, but always been successful.

Yet for all his martial achievements, how could one meet apocalypse in the field? He was now asked to call upon knowledge he'd rarely had time to refine since his youth. How the heavens may influence the world below, how the very sands can be made to ebb and flow by the grace of the Shayamun.

An uncharacteristic seed of doubt had already been sown in his mind, though it didn't show on his hard, pale features. He'd always relished a challenge, but this task seemed almost impossible. He tugged on his twin-braided beard with a three-fingered left hand.

The six horsemen passed a withering caravansary on their left, though by then it was a glorified ruin, little more than a tomb for the old man sitting cross-legged in the shade outside. Upon spotting the rider's elegant silver saber, inlaid with a radiant red-orange gem, the rugged elder gave a nod and leaned forward as far as his aching bones would allow in a sitting bow.

It had been twenty years since Mubarak Alani Jaffer had rode to Mekhallah, but he was not an easily forgotten man, even by the common folk who'd only heard stories.

"Moonlight upon you, Your Grace," the caravansary keep croaked in a voice that sounded as worn and dusty as its owner.

"And upon you," the magus responded without slowing or halting, continuing up the road. As the riders left the caravansary behind, the city of Alkhafat had finally come into view.

"The edge of the world, your grace," one of the magus' companions commented, a Sand Strider at his right hand, draped in the order's trademark turquoise cloth.

While the frontier city couldn't hold even a dim candle to the spiraling minarets and golden domes of the western isles, Alkhafat was a jewel on a harsh landscape. Nestled along the Qaara river, elegant stone bridges stretched from the south and west towards the city's gates, massive wooden constructs decorated with the sheikh's family crest, a crescent moon beneath a sun with six rays bursting forth in all directions. The dome of the Tabalist temple emerged from the center of the city, nearly the same pale blue as Mubarak's djellaba and turban. Sandstone constructions painted various shades of blue peaked over Alkhafat's stout walls, and on the river, the corpse of what was once a bustling waterside market still held more of a crowd than perhaps dozens of the countryside villages put together.

The old magus had few pleasant memories of this place. Its walls were the last hurdle in his conquests. Its streets, by the end, had been the bloodiest.

The last time Mubarak had seen the city, it was wrapped in a great inferno, the result of a devastating siege. Even from a distance, he could make out which buildings on the skyline had been rebuilt since then, though there were discrepancies between the outline of Alkhafat his eyes reported and what his memory recalled. The city was already on the decline all those years prior, and little had changed. The roads to Alkhafat had been nearly devoid of life, but Mubarak recalled many an emigrant family headed the opposite direction.

He halted their party at the ridge's crest for a time, a few miles from the walls, taking in the profile of the city beneath a particularly harsh sun. The city they'd been sent to save from the wrath of gods and nature, or else, at least protect its citizens.

Mubarak shifted his gaze to his left. Another magus rode by his side, a comely young woman with bronzed skin and kind features. Nina, she'd called herself.

They'd spoken occasionally over their weeks of travel, and he'd taken a liking to her - a sun worshiper, though not a Qariqist like himself, from a far-off land he'd never heard of. He'd been happy enough to ramble to her about the Sultanate's previously harsh stance against Solar magic, his early life and efforts to overcome such idiotic prejudice, how things had softened for their type over time. Though he wasn't sure if she was simply humoring an old man or hanging on his words sincerely, he had appreciated her company.

He spoke to her in his characteristically direct manner.

"The last time I was here, some years ago," he began, "we'd besieged the city for... months, perhaps near on a year. Before that, long combat campaigns across the river, the dunes. They fought well and defended this place fiercely, from the borders all the way back to their walls. I hated them for it."

Mubarak's three-fingered left hand once again trailed up to his beard, stroking it thoughtfully.

"I was already old. Tired. Their resistance, to the last, even as the rest of the sheikhdoms fell? It infuriated me. And when the walls were finally breached... I made no effort to hide that anger."

He turned his gaze back to the young woman at his side. He'd not often spoken to her so honestly about his doubts on the way here, but now, face-to-face with the walls of Alkhafat, he felt trapped. He felt the need to speak now, to someone who perhaps may be honest with him about questions that weighed on him heavily as they traveled to this far corner of the Sultanate.

"There remain many families here that curse me. I expect there are orphans who are worse off today than they may have been if their fathers hadn't fallen in the streets, or their mothers killed by looting soldiers," he said. "I assure you no harm will come to you, so I ask you to answer me truthfully - was the Sultan a fool to send me here? Can I hope to win these peoples' cooperation, or does my presence here hamper our mission, in your view?"

Another question seemed to catch in his throat, but he stopped himself there.

In the distance, atop the walls of the city, horns were blown and the gate guards were making preparations to welcome the royal caravan. At the sound of the horns, a great mass of common folk had flocked to the city's southern entrance, curious to see who approached.

Mentions: x_Tasia_X x_Tasia_X

Rahima frowned at the man as he handed her the worn page. The two merchants were standing in a room atop one of the building lining the streets. The room was large with open windows framed by beautiful, colorful curtains that swayed in the faint breeze that drifted over the city of Alkhafat. Which didn’t help with the horrible breeze, Rahima thought angrily as she gave the shorter, rounded merchant a tight smile. She missed the cool, ocean breezes of her home port. There was always a place to find shade and a cool breeze at Maladjaz. Here, in Alkhafat, it was constantly hot. It wasn’t like she hadn’t been here before. Several times in early years, she and her father had come here to trade the fruits that only grew bountiful this far north. That had been before the city had been sacked and before the Waste was this close.

Now, the city and the surrounding area were scorched. The pounding sun and the unrelenting Waste had burned out any bountiful beds and thriving civilization. Now, people were struggling, and Rahima had been called by her partners in the city to move whatever goods she could further South. Although, she was very close to cutting her loses and going back home. There was little value left here in the city. The only reason she hadn’t left the day she arrived was because her father asked her to stay and figure it out. He was older now and would’ve made the journey himself but had asked her to, since she ran their business now.

These are the only numbers I have, this is all I have left—

So it appears,” she interrupted and then waved the page at him, “but there’s nothing about my profit.” She pointed out. “ I won’t attempt to move your merchandise without the promise of something in return. The Waste is growing ever closer, and it gets harder and harder to convince any ships to move anything let alone food which requires a special kind of storage.” She set the page down and raised a brow. A dry breeze drifted through the window, causing her hair to blow around her shoulders. The merchant looked up at her, blinking several times.

I just thought—

That I would do it out of the kindness of my heart?” She scoffed and started organizing the pages on his desk into neat little piles. “I’m not my father, and, if I’m not getting any money out of it—“ Horns blared throughout the city, and she frowned. Visitors? Important enough visitors to make a scene? She moved from the desk as did the other merchant. They peered out the window together as they watched throngs of people gather along the streets, held back only by uneasy guards. Rahima could see the gates from here, and she watched as the royal caravan marched into the city.

This would be interesting.

Throughout this journey, it was apparent to anyone who looked at Nina that she was someone utterly enamored with the world around her. Perhaps so much that it didn’t seem she was fully present in the moment. She was usually more talkative, but Nina hadn’t spoken very much during this journey. And everything she did say was either an introduction or a question. Her mind was occupied with taking in her new surroundings.

The journey through Mekhallah proved to Nina that this place was very different from her own home. The air was drier, and the vegetation was minimal in comparison to Amaltishari, her homeland. Seeing the horizon unobstructed by trees or vegetation of any kind almost seemed unnatural. And it did unsettle her a bit, being in such an open space. But the uncomfortable feeling creeping up her shoulders ceased, and she eventually stopped frequently checking the area behind or around her. She found herself being more unsettled by the hulking waste that prowled the horizon. Nina had never seen nor heard of anything like it and she didn’t like looking in the direction of it for too long.

They came upon a Caravansary, where an older gentleman offered his respect as they passed. Hearing greetings such as “Moonlight upon you”, initially brought Nina confusion. But after the initial gut reaction stemming from the differences between cultures, she had come to appreciate the greeting. Nina’s heart and body were dedicated to the sun, but she found it pleasant that the moon had importance here. She always found the moon to be quite lonely, it was almost therapeutic to see it at the forefront of another religion.

The concept of sun magic not being revered was fascinating to Nina. Initially, Nina bit down feelings of offense at the revelation. Even in her homeland, not everyone is allowed to practice it. She had to remind herself that it was understandable for people to be wary of it, even if she didn’t like it. But a majority of her irritation was quelled by stories told to her by the Sultan’s magi. She enjoyed the tales of his youth and appreciated the dedication and effort put into somewhat normalizing Solar magic. She knew Mubarak for a short time, but she already had a great deal of respect for him.

Nina was surveying the city’s skyline, her gaze flickered quite a bit, as if she was zeroing in only as many details as she could from their distance. She was pulled from her intense observation by Mubarak speaking to her. She turned her full attention to him. She didn’t know what she was expecting him to say, but it wasn’t that. Even though she was a bit caught off guard, her expression morphed to that of genuine thoughtfulness.

Her gaze slowly drifted back to the city, wondering if she could glimpse the physical traces of its history with the context that was being given to her. Not at this distance. Maybe if she got closer, she could easily observe it. His question had her silent for a moment. Was it foolish of the Sultan to send him here? She wanted to say yes at first, only because she didn’t consider it a kind decision to make. The idealistic side of her didn’t think it was right to have him return here, or make the people of the Alkhafat have to see him again. Nina would think of it as a taunt of mockery. She couldn’t say it was foolish.

“I’m not completely sure, but I don’t think so. If they know of you, or remember you, they’ll cooperate. If anything, out of fear for the consequences of what could happen if they don’t.” Nina spoke distantly, she didn’t seem to be fully agreed with what she was saying. It was only a guess, a guess made under the assumption that the fight had been fully beaten out of these people already. Maybe there was some fight left in them? Maybe time made them bolder. Nina couldn’t be sure, she was a stranger here. Still, the situation put a damper on her awe at the moment.

With
The rest of the crowd
Mood
Extremely curious
Rasheed Al-Tariq
By the goddess, he's fast.

Rasheed swore to himself as he ran through the sun-drenched streets of Alkhafat, sweat pouring down his face. His quarry this day was a squirrelly little thief who had been plaguing the marketplace for weeks, robbing customers and merchants alike. The man's strangely insectlike build was letting him crawl up walls and creep through holes humans should not be able to, and Rasheed kept up pursuit with mounting fatigue and frustration, his training, speed, and knowledge of the city the only reason he was able to keep up.

If I don't cut him off soon, he's liable to evade me, the former Sand Strider reflected, trying to think of a plan.

Luckily, they were making their way towards the seedier black market bazaar and, while the thief might think this the perfect place to evade a foreigner in obnoxiously shiny armor, he was about to discover to his detriment his pursuer's piratical past.

In Mekhallah, Rasheed was, to say the least, an anomaly. Even with the overland and overseas trade that brought a solid diversity to the city of Alkhafat, he was still unusual. His appearance, of course, was the most obviously strange thing about him. Burnished red hair the color of a desert sunset, opaline eyes that shone like the Saber Sea, and skin as pale as moonlight.

Well, it used to be pale as moonlight, but living in the desert and working as a mercenary had leant it a certain roughness and darker tan that nonetheless still stood out from his darker-skinned fellows. As if all this weren't enough, he wore a full plate armor of burnished gold, complete with fur-lined cape and glinting jewels.

The armor was fine, light for its strength and of exquisite make. Still, it restricted his movements somewhat and was impractical and unnecessary for his line of work. It also increased the heat his body endured, which he was already weak to, but Rasheed was stubborn and chose to wear it anyway.

It reflected the image of a great hero he wanted to project, and covered all the scars pockmarking his body except those on his face. and as it was crafted from the remains of the armor he'd worn under his powder-blue Strider initiate robes, it gave him no small pleasure to rub it obnoxiously into his former comrades' faces.

They had been unable to believe it when he'd walked out of the desert, beaten and bruised and thirsty beyond belief, but alive. He had not attempted to report the incident or challenge his would-be killers, instead holing up somewhere to heal and then, in brazen defiance, re-emerging in Alkhafat as a sword-for-hire, covered head to toe in his new suit of burnished, polished gold, the armor and jewels glinting in the sunlight everywhere he went.

It had cost nearly all the coin he had, but Rasheed felt it was worth it to reinvent himself as a hero and flaunt his newfound glory in his former comrades' faces.

None of which was helping him right now as he ran through increasingly small and dingy alleyways after his scurrying prey.

It took far longer than he would've liked, but after a ridiculously long chase he was finally able to corner the man and bring him back, tied and gagged, to the merchant who had hired him.

Grateful for a job well done, the merchant had paid well, and Rasheed walked through the marketplace with a newly-filled purse jangling with coin at his waist. He bought a honeycake from one of his favorite vendors, savoring the sweetness on his parched throat as he ambled among the many stalls, admiring the wares.

When the horns started blaring, he turned his head in the direction of the sound, intrigued, honey slowly dripping from his gauntleted fingers onto the ground.

A royal caravan? he thought, surprised. As the sultanate's northernmost city, doing battle with border tribes and facing the steady encroachment of the Waste year after year, royal representatives hardly ever made it this far out- outside of the steady presence of the Striders, Alkhafat had been considered semi-abandoned by the sultan for years. And yet, there was no mistaking the sound of those horns.

Rasheed stuffed the rest of the cake into his mouth and began making his way purposefully towards the city gates, flowing with the rest of the crowd.

He reached the front of the line just in time to see the caravan entering the city. It was magnificent to behold, even in its raggedness (which, it had to be said, matched most in Alkhafat anyway). Three dozen horses, several camels, two wagons. What stood out of course were the richly-dressed magi, and the turquoise robes of the Sand Striders.

Rasheed felt a pang that he could not stop at the sight- if it hadn't been for that incident, he might've been one of the Striders accompanying such a caravan himself.

Still, the most unusual sight of all was clearly the head mage of the caravan. Pale hair and skin, beard twined into two identical braids, royal turban and djellaba of pale blue, nearly blinding in the Alkhafat sun, adorned with the many-colored tokens of his knowledge and deeds.

Mubarak Alani Jaffer, the sultan's personal mage.

What on earth is the Sultan's Spear doing in Alkhafat? Rasheed wondered, beyond intrigued. Has war broken out? Is he here to repel the Waste?

And, even though a former-Sand-Strider-turned-mercenary was unlikely to get anywhere near something as important as whatever was going on here, Rasheed still followed the caravan through the crowded streets of the city, as if hypnotically drawn towards it.
coded by natasha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back