The Little Things You Love About Exalted

Sheridan Boyce

So I'm reading through The Dragon-Blooded, and I'm in the section about the Deliberative.  One of the things I love about the Exalted books, especially DB, is the inclusion of tiny little details they really didn't need, but are realistic no less.  Let me quote:

"The Deliberative is housed in the Palace of the Deliberative Senate of Exceedingly Judicious Nobles (the second building of that name, the first aving burned to the ground four centuries ago)."

We didn't need to know that the first incarnation of the PotDSoEJN burned down, but I bet I could write an entire story about it, no, in the current Realm Year, that could make for a pretty interesting story.  I'll bet some important mortals died in that fire too...

Another thing I love is just how complex and long some of the names of things and places are, that floats my boat.

And lets not forget the typos, spelling and grammatical errors that, well, make Exalted books Exalted books.  Some of them are damned funny.

There have got to be little things about the game that everybody else loves, throw them out there!

From a design point of view, I like the fact that the Realm doesn't field cavalry--at least not without it being specialized, because of the Dragon Bloods' animas. It was a nice bit of detail, and something that could have been easily overlooked.

So I'm reading through The Dragon-Blooded, and I'm in the section about the Deliberative.  One of the things I love about the Exalted books, especially DB, is the inclusion of tiny little details they really didn't need, but are realistic no less.  Let me quote:
"The Deliberative is housed in the Palace of the Deliberative Senate of Exceedingly Judicious Nobles (the second building of that name, the first aving burned to the ground four centuries ago)."

We didn't need to know that the first incarnation of the PotDSoEJN burned down, but I bet I could write an entire story about it, no, in the current Realm Year, that could make for a pretty interesting story.  I'll bet some important mortals died in that fire too...
There's also a side note, somewhere about when Deliberative members turn to not-so-civil ways of coercion... (from manipulation+performance to dexterity+brawl)

Quite amusing...

Another thing I love is just how complex and long some of the names of things and places are' date=' that floats my boat.[/quote']
Interesting parody, quoted from Exaltedwiki:

-Examples of Unnecessarily Flowery Abyssal Names

* Most Uncourteous Majordomo of the Broken Household

* Resplendent Servant of Dust and Ash

* The Boy with the Seven Word Name

* Wind That Shreds Ashen Petals

* The Bride Spattered with the Blood of the Damned

-Examples of... ?

* Brilliant Example of Dreary Dullness

* Reward for Return

* Gory Killing Machine of no Other Purpose

* The Song that Never Ends

* The Song that Does Nothing But End

* The End that Watched Everyone Else Singing and Felt Morose

* The Servant with the Long and Rambling Name that Will Never Be Remembered Because Not Even the Deathlords Are That Masochistic

* The Extra Deathnight

* Red Shirt Over a Dead Man

* Boredom Given Shape

* Exquisite Flavor that Turns to Ashes when the Ingredient List is Read

* The Bony Tart with Thin Lips and Hair like a Used Mop After It Has Dried

* The Lover of Bony Tarts with Thin Lips and Hair like a Used Mop After It Has Dried

* Lapdog of a Thousand Kicks

* Imitative Intimations of Moody Ennui by Spoiled Children

* Bright and Cheerful Service to Our Wonderful Mistress

* Most Efficacious Minister of Gratuitous Mascara and Bauhaus-Listening

* My Pal Foot-Foot

* I Came On My Own And I Left On My Own And I Went Home And I Cried And I Wanted To Die

* Favoured Darling of the Maiden Mistress of Blood Tears Falling as Rain from Black Skies

* I Hate Myself and Want to Dye My Hair Black

* He Who Listens to Nine Inch Nails in Dark Corners

* Teaser of Poofy Robert Smith Hair

* Azrael Abyss (Todd)

I love the fact that the game designers used many cultures as a backdrop rather than having it just be "eastern"  or what have you.

Stepped pyramids kicks ass.

The Biblical rip-offs in Bo3C and S&S (the spells) are quite entertaining.
I find them kind of annoying, personally. Too much Christian crap already pervades my everyday life. I don't need it in my escapist fantasy games.

-S

Stillborn said:
The Biblical rip-offs in Bo3C and S&S (the spells) are quite entertaining.
I find them kind of annoying, personally. Too much Christian crap already pervades my everyday life. I don't need it in my escapist fantasy games.

-S
I go to a college filled with Hindus, there is an Islamic mosque within 20 miles of my home, but I NEVER hear a peep from them. Any time someone decides to roll a holy tome over me it's ALWAYS a christian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back