The Foster Child (Dreamer & Jeccka)

Nettle turned her head looking at her desk, with her piles of sketchbooks she had drawn in over the years. "Um," she mumbled uncomfortably before turning back to look at Chase. "I uh, I guess." She stood up and pulled one of the books off the shelf and walked over to Chase and held out the book.

Chase reached out and took the book from Nettle. Eager, he lifted the cover to reveal the first sketch. He had to say he was impressed. For a few moments, all that could be heard was the turning of pages and Chase's palm running down the paper. Then he stopped at one drawing in particular. "What inspired this?" He asked, tilting the book toward her so she could see, and looking up to meet her gaze.

Nettle watched the book slip into Chase's hands. She turned away and ran her fingers across the window sill trying to focus on something different. She scratched at the wood and then turned back hearing his voice. "Huh?" she asked looking at the drawing then back at Chase. She placed her index finger's knuckle against her teeth thinking over her answer. Pulling her finger from her mouth, she leaned against the wall. "My um, I drew that when my cousin stopped visiting. He had known one of my brothers, so I used to ask him questions all the time. I guess when I got a little more sick it got to hard for him to come. Back then, I thought I had a future so I decided to draw what I wanted mine to be. I wanted a house without any sealed up rooms and I wanted it a little dirty, a little messy and and I wanted snow. I had, have never seen snow and I thought it might be nice."

Chase was about to apologize for having asked about her drawings, for having wanted to see them. Of course they were something important to her and he shouldn't have invaded that privacy. But instead, he set the book on the bed beside him, carefully. He stood, reaching to take Nettle's small hand in his. "C'mon." He nodded toward the door. "Let's go somewhere. Anywhere." His eyes were alight and eager, a smile growing on his lips.

Nettle looked down at her hand caught off guard. She slowly lifted her head to face him, leaving her hand in his. "There's a library that we can walk to." she stated, finding it hard to find a solution to such a vague suggestion. "My neighbor has a pool he lets me use or we could go get ice cream."

Chase tossed his head. "Somewhere you've never been, silly." Wasn't that obvious? "You have to experience life and stop sitting here waiting for something to happen." Sure the town is foreign to him and he'd never been out to see what it had to offer but there had to be something. "Isn't there something you've always wanted to do?"

Nettle pulled her hand away from his and shook her head. "I've been to ever single spot in this town. I've found the places I like. The only place I haven't gone is the school. The things I want to do aren't like sky diving or anything like that. I want to know what it's like to touch snow or sit in the back of a truck while its moving- like they do in some of those movies. I want to know what it would feel like to have one of my art pieces in a museum and- And I want to know what it's like to kiss someone."

Disappointed at Nettle's recoil, Chase watched her carefully, his brow furrowing. He listened to her speak and once she finished, there was only one of those wishes that he could give her at that moment. Determined, he stepped closer to her, looking down at her, then stopped. No. She wasn't insinuating that she wanted his kiss. She wanted a kiss. Deflating, he looked to the floor. "I'll have to do some research but," he said, looking back at her. "I'll get you all three of those. I know I can." All it would take is a friend at school with a truck, assuming he was going to go to school instead of joining Nettle in her homeschool courses, winter and an application from a museum. Piece of cake.

"Want to learn how to skateboard?" Chase asked tentatively, reaching under the bed and pulling out his board.

Nettle watched Chase fall silent and suddenly felt a bit ashamed of her reaction. He seemed to want to help her anyways. She was about to ask him which one he was going to help her achieve and then he changed the subject. She looked down watching him pullet he skateboard from under his bed. "Isn't it dangerous?" she asked, not sure if her parents would approve. She was sure they would make a fuss if she fell and skinned her knee.

"Dangerous?" Chase said, shaking his head. "No. It's great fun actually." Since there wasn't anything better for him to show Nettle and none of her desires he could fulfill, skateboarding was the next best thing. "I'll show you." Chase beckoned to her as he headed toward the door.

Nettle followed behind Chase. She wasn't sure she believed him, but she didn't have anything better to do. She walked outside after him. "Have you taught anyone to skateboard before?" she asked wondering in what way he thought he was qualified to teach her. 
bump 
Hello? 
Hello?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back