• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Favoured Colony

Coward

A marshmallow.
Supporter
It had been almost half an hour since she commanded the presence of her adviser.

Certainly, Siginwe had not needed the woman before. Certainly, she could be patient, but where were they? Unacceptable. Palps twitched as she pouted, one hand toying with the stem of a cherry.

She slumped, flung her legs over the arm of her lounge in petulance. The clatter of gold baubles and carapace made the human below her jump. President something-something, of the United States of America. He was sweating in the tropical heat of the throne room, nervously shot the cuffs of his suit. Over-dressed, of course, his pink skin was going slowly red above the neck of his shirt.

“Your highness,” he said again, “I’m sure I can explain the situation myself-”

“No.” Sig said. “Be silent, I’m thinking.”

The president was silent. Sig watched him unblinking, the way his eyes darted around the room. To the armed men around the walls, the creatures in the shallow salt pool between them. Sig had had the audience room styled after a Khashi palace, and maybe all the gold was blinding him. Humans had very weak, pale eyes. One of her guards had told her, recently, that the species couldn’t see ultraviolet, green or blue wavelengths. If so half the image was wasted on him: the lush Khashi flowers, patterned silk hangings, the tile of the dias. Even some of her paint. But in any case, the savages wouldn’t have appreciated it.

Another cherry disappeared under the veil, shadowed by gnashing palps. The first box had been a gift from one of the little countries, but she had since ordered ten crates. No food should have so much fructose, but cherries made these meetings tolerable. Like now, for example - how was she to know whether fission weapons had 'symbolic importance' for Earth’s peace and unity? This species put symbolic importance on every damn thing.

“Aric,” she said, sharp.

The general made a diffident tilt of his head, not quite hiding a twitch at the edge of his mouth. Maybe he was bored, too. “Yes, exalted princess.”

“If I allow them to keep a few little warheads, would this bother you overmuch?”

“Your highness,” he said, paused to gather himself. “They are fairly large warheads-”

But he didn't finish. His gaze flashed to the corner, where a servant was prostrating herself.

“Forgive me,” the maid said, “the human delegate has arrived.”

"Where is my clothes?"

No matter what anyone's opinion of Ekaterina might be, the hypothetical observer had to admit that she sounded remarkably calm given the situation. And what the situation in question was? Why, how nice of you to ask! It was being called to the throne room to aid an alien attempting to enslave humanity and having nothing to wear for the occasion aside from her bathrobe. Katya hadn't had the opportunity to study the etiquette of their species in-depth just yet, however it didn't seem very appropriate in her eyes. Not that the enslavement thing wasn't an issue in itself, mind you, but first things first. Unlike the invasion, the clothes dilemma could likely be solved in less than ten minutes.

"Right here, ma'am," one of the local maids pointed to a bunch of glittery stones and what looked like a bucket of paint on the floor next to her bed.

"What?" she stared at the pile of items incredulously before understanding finally dawned upon her. "I'm not wearing that." I don't even know how! "Bring me back my old clothes."

Trying to read emotions in the alien face was probably a hopeless endeavor, though if she absolutely had to guess, the creature looked vaguely insulted. "This is what we wear here, though."

"Yes," Katya said slowly, "I have... noticed. The issue is that I'm the advisor on human culture. You don't want me to conform to your ways too much otherwise my presence here loses all meaning." Contrary to what people generally thought, being a good diplomat didn't translate to kissing boots of those who held power and hoping they would throw you scraps out of pity. It meant asserting your will despite the circumstances. If Katya had to start with something as basic as dignified clothing, then by god she would do exactly that. I am not negotiating the fate of my planet in that... that... well, half-naked. It wasn't entirely about her unwillingness to budge, either. Ekaterina just knew that her discomfort at such a level of undress would hamper her skills which were largely dependent on her current mental state. Maybe when she got more used to the idea, but at the moment? The alien could forget it.

The maid likely registered the stubborn aura radiating from the human because s/he (?) sighed in defeat. "Very well. Wait here." The alien disappeared behind the automatic door only to return with her old elegant pantsuit. Katya dressed in her favorite black and white, feeling like a knight donning on an armor. She was going to be late by this point anyway, so there was no need to rush. Ten or fifteen minutes, that didn't matter in the long run. Might as well use the time I have to make myself look presentable. Not a hair out of place, Katya finally decided that this would do and headed for the throne room.

The ostentatious beauty of the chamber threatened to blind her, but she knew better than to gawk. Instead, Katya walked up to the princess calmly and dropped to her knees. The man who boasted the title of the president of The United States of America might as well not exist in her reality for the amount of attention she gave him. If her estimate was right, then the alien ruler would demand her full focus. "My apologies for the late arrival, exalted princess. Ekaterina Pavlovna Nazarova at your service. What is it that you wish of me?"

Sig had not straightened up to greet the arrival - if anything she was sprawled more lazily, regarding the adviser with hooded eyes. The woman was extremely pale, with yellow crest. Probably female. Sig hadn't bothered to check, but mostly it was the females that had the tumorous-looking food glands on their chests. Disgusting. Diffident maids had scurried from the corners with offers of sweets and cold tea, but they froze under the princess' black glare. As silent as they had come they faded away, left the human woman alone by the pool. A vibrant purple feeler darted up from the water, curious, then slithered away again.

The 'late arrival'? Was that all she had to say?

Bangles clattered as Sig gestured lazily, baring an edge of sharp teeth in derision. "It is well that you apologise."

She left the adviser kneeling, let the signal to rise go unmade. Palps flared briefly, but this meeting had gone on too long already. Punishing the woman could wait, or likely she would delegate. Punishing humans was a confusing business. Now that the woman was here, though, Siginwe found herself studying her, curious. Had no-one provided appropriate clothes? Certainly the human looked overheated. Also very dull-coloured. In spite of that, the woman seemed calm - self contained, for someone so late. Much different than the sweaty mess of a president.

When Sig glanced sidelong to Aric she found his face carefully blank, his back stiff. Military were so boring, sometimes.

Sig plucked another cherry, idly scratching at her leg with one barbed heel. Now that she was here, the adviser could wait for her.

Eventually she was done chewing. "This man tells me his province needs megaton fission warheads in order to remain at peace," she drawled, black eyes flitting up and down. With a flick she propelled the pit into the pool, watched a rainbow tangle of mouth-parts snatch at it. "What is your... expert opinion?"

The president's mouth contorted, some unknown emotion, but he said nothing.

Why did it have to be so unbelievably hot? Katya almost regretted fighting so hard against the traditional Krin attire as she knelt on the ground, doing her best to ignore the streaks of sweat traveling down her back. Still, not a hint of discomfort showed in her expression. A significant part of her job consisted of pretending that everything was alright even while the world around her burned, so it would have taken a lot more than that for her poker-face to crack. Shame that the same couldn't be said about the president who seemed to be on the verge of a breakdown.

What a humiliation, Katya thought, her gaze still fixed on the ground as the princess savored her cherries. The man's nervousness somehow made her even calmer, more grounded in her new position. There was just something utterly fascinating about watching the most powerful politician of the planet slowly fall to pieces. They had worked together in the past, Katya and him, and she didn't remember him as a weakling. Then again, that might have something to do with having been forced to kneel in front of the conqueror of Earth. Or the one that has been installed as a dictator by the conqueror of Earth, to be more precise.

The princess was probably attempting to get under her skin with the extended silence, but Katya refused to let her do that. Rules of the waiting game were something intimately familiar to her and she only lost at it very rarely. The diplomat waited patiently, her body frozen in the respectful pose.

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

The patience eventually bore fruit as it always did, though, and the princess spoke up after what seemed like an eternity. And Katya? Katya almost couldn't believe her ears. Nukes? She wants me to help her decide on the issue of the USA being allowed to keep nukes? Nobody had ever accused her of lacking ambitions, but not even her wildest dreams up to this point had involved a responsibility as large as that. She... wasn't entirely opposed. But how to go about it? How could the princess expect her to give her a definitive answer? In front of the freaking president?

"
My expert opinion," Katya repeated after her, still not daring to look her in the eyes, "is that provincial rulers shouldn't be privy to the discussion between the advisor and the exalted princess. I find it hard to remain impartial and represent the entire planet in this man's presence since I am still technically his subject."

Last edited:
As time went on and the human remained comfortable she grew more interested, eyes narrowing to slivers. Normally someone in her position should be grovelling - making a princess wait. Especially someone of... what caste exactly?

When the answer came, though, Sig finally did straighten a little, a helpless click of amusement erupting. Remain impartial? How fun. And how dauntless, not even answering the question. At the same time, the faint edge of irritation grew sharper. At the back of the room two honour-guard had put their hands on the hafts of their clubs, uncertain as to whether she was being insulted. She let them stand like that, until her laughter had faded.

"You are not his subject," she said, eventually. "You are both my subjects."

The non-answer hung in the air, while she considered, again leaving the room waiting. Certainly it wasn't good for her to get her way. But maybe Nazarova had a point. There was a conflict of interest, and that at least was a universal problem. The whole idea of bringing her was an unbiased opinion on human culture.

Sig's gold-lacquered claws drummed once on the arms of her lounge, before she turned her attention to the president again. "Leave us."

The president blinked, pale eyes growing even wider. Eventually he seemed to realise she was serious, that he had been dismissed. The man glanced around the room, eventually scraped himself up in an audible creak of knees. When he had slowly shuffled out the princess's focus snapped back, impatience edging her voice.

"You may stand. Also, speak - are you not hot?" Sig almost waved over one of the maids with iced wine, but then remembered that the adviser was being punished. Instead she leaned fractionally to scoop up her own filigreed cup, lifted her veil to gulp some of the liquid inside. Ice-cold and equally as saccharine as the fruit. This planet would kill her. "In any case, I'll have your advice, now. Is he lying about needing the weapons?"

Well, at least laughter isn't a particularly difficult reaction to interpret, Katya thought with a dash of sarcasm. Still, something suspiciously similar to panic was beginning to rise in her chest. Had she misread the situation? If so, then the diplomat had just made not one, but two powerful enemies. Not that antagonizing the president of the USA mattered in the long run because the princess would likely have her executed before he could retaliate. Funny how the notion did precisely nothing to calm her down. Inhale, exhale. One, two, three, she counted in order to collect her scattered thoughts. It was a little too late for weighing her words more carefully, so Katya might as well face the consequences of her actions with dignity.

Except that it seemed like she hadn't messed up as terribly because the princess actually ordered the president to go away. Wow. It took some willpower not to look up at his retreating figure in shock, but Katya managed to keep her gaze glued to the ground where it belonged. Not even five minutes in and I have already managed to kick out a president out of negotiations concerning his own country. Technically the princess had decided that, of course, though it wouldn't have happened without her input. Katya had been secretly wondering just how seriously did the alien ruler plan to take her advice, whether bringing her in was just an empty gesture to appease her people or something more. This incident had given her a very telling answer. In this very moment, she held a power greater than any president.

A pleasant change. It just saddened her that it had required the end of the world as she knew it.

"Thank you," Katya stood up with as much elegance as her body could muster after kneeling for so long. That meant "not very much" since she wasn't used to physically demanding tasks, but at least her face didn't betray her discomfort. "Hot? Ah, it is kind of you to take my needs into account, exalted princess, though I will manage," the woman smiled sweetly, doing her best to ignore the refreshingly looking drink just out of her reach. The princess was taunting her, that much Katya understood, and such an insult could only be deflected by politeness. "The temperature is a bit higher than what I am used to, granted, but as they say, the only constant thing in life is change."

Fortunately, she wasn't forced to participate in the torturous small talk for long. In no time they returned back to the topic.

"Lying... might be a strong word to describe that, exalted princess. They've had them for such a long time that they can't imagine their existence without them," Katya started slowly. The princess' form was distracting now that she could actually look at her properly, but she focused on the advice instead.

"It is true that his province has many enemies, but it also has strong natural borders. There's an ocean surrounding it and their neighbors aren't particularly hostile. If you take away the weapons from everyone, they shouldn't face any immediate danger. You might even win some approval from the inhabitants of the Earth because there are people who consider them too strong as they are. It would be easy to spin it as a step towards equality among nations. A beginning of a new, better era. Or," she raised a finger, "you may let them keep the weapons and use them to police the rest of the world. That won't win you any love, but it should keep the anger directed at them instead of you. It depends on your perspective."

The aplomb with which the adviser brushed off the taunting was both impressive and slightly disappointing. Probably she wasn't suffering enough, yet.

Sig found herself listening the the advice with growing interest, though, her hand pausing on the edge of the bowl of cherries. The idea of 'strong natural borders' was particularly quaint, and on the second tier of the dias Aric's palp twitched faintly in amusement. Probably he was remembering ancient history lessons, as well. There were times when a bit of water stopped an army.

But it was the next part that got her eyes widening, looking down at the woman with growing pleasure. How fun, how shameless. "I see," she said, beaming. "I like the second option."

Below her the general made a soft noise, trying desperately to catch her eye. "Your highness," he muttered. "I suspect the esteemed adviser is biased on this topic."

Sig brushed him off with a gesture, not bothering to match his soft tone. "Of course she is. That doesn't mean she's wrong'"

"I-" He stopped, clearly trying to choose words. "The problems I mentioned -"

"You told me they couldn't breach the shields."

"Yes, highness. I was thinking about the ground personnel still at risk."

"Fission bombs are a bit dramatic for anti-personnel weapons, don't you think? They'd make a scorched zone kilometers wide, kill thousands of their own people."

Aric inclined his head, wry. "Yes."

The general could be very succinct, when he wanted. Sig fell into musing again, mindlessly gulped more of the wine as she slumped. What a strange problem this was turning out to be, but she couldn't predict the savage process. Kill thousands of their own? Well, they did reproduce very fast.

Her attention turned on Ekaterina again, suddenly sharp. "Would they do such a thing?"

Something strange flashed in her eyes. So the princess favoured the more dangerous option? That was... unexpected to say the least. Katya had added it as an afterthought, a way of testing the waters by observing her ruler's reaction more than a viable plan. From what she understood, power had fallen to the princess's hands on its own through a familial bond. A spoiled brat, that was how Katya would have called her had she not treasured her own life. It seemed like a typical case of one, really, except that they had given her a whole planet to play with instead of an expensive car. Maybe she was wrong, though. Katya took pride in being able to read people with a great accuracy, but the princess wasn't a human. If she isn't afraid of risks, then perhaps this collaboration could turn out to be very interesting.

Alternatively, the princess was even more clueless than she appeared at the first glance and that might be even better. Who knew what could Katya achieve by whispering advice in her ear? Either way, all her hopes for the future lay in the alien creature right now. Heat was scorching her insides from within and she had to blink rapidly to get rid of the sweat in her eyes, but what was some discomfort compared to this opportunity? Katya would sooner faint than admit weakness. Which might very well happen if this went on for too long, as she realised, but the diplomat suppressed the thought. There were more important matters to pay attention to.

One of them was the other alien arguing against her idea, probably a military officer of sorts. Given his proximity to the princess, Katya would be willing to bet that his importance far exceeded that of an ordinary soldier. A general, perhaps, or the Krin equivalent of one? It's hardly important which fancy title they gave him. What truly matters is whether he's going to stand in my way or not. Katya had dealt with men like him before, stern types who believed themselves to be the voice of reason. Sometimes they weren't even wrong, but a grand vision often required to stray away from the path of caution. He could very well turn into her enemy if he didn't understand that.

"They would, exalted princess," Katya answered without hesitation. There was no point in lying, at least not in such matters. The reputation of a war-like species probably preceded them anyway. No, she just had to make the option acceptable (or even desirable!) despite the risks involved. "They are, however, no fools. Nuclear weapons are seen as a last resort and they would only use them against your personnel in two scenarios. Scenario number one," Katya raised a finger, "is if they come to the conclusion that they have nothing to lose. This will happen, exalted princess, if you are too cruel and unjust. Scenario number two," she added a second finger, "is if they feel that you are weak enough for them to get away with it or that it could but them freedom. Nevertheless, the common denominator here is weakness. It's is all in your hands, exalted princess. What kind of ruler do you wish to be?" Can you handle walking that thin line between a tyrant and a weakling? was the unspoken question hanging in the air.

The alien's argument grew more fascinating with each passing second, and by now Sig was leaning forward slightly, trying to follow the arcane workings of the human mind. The blunt honesty was nice - more than she'd expected from a 'subject' of the president. But it was the challenge that got her heart pounding, the hints that maybe Sig didn't have the ability for this plan. The same sorts of itchy comments that her aunts and uncles had tossed around before she came.

"How interesting," she said, when the advice was done, tilting her head back. Paused. "They may keep their arsenal." She rounded on Aric. "We will make it clear to them that their continued possession of these weapons is contingent on compliance. Non-compliance will be met with force. If they cooperate, the first ports will be built in US territories."

Aric had maintained the same mild, attentive expression for the whole of her speech, but he seemed to have stopped blinking.

"Don't look so miserable," Sig said. Sharp teeth glittered as she smiled behind the veil. "If anyone gets blown up you can say it was my fault."

"That's very kind of the exalted princess," he said, bland.

"Go on now and tell the president. He can't have been decontaminated yet."

The general held her gaze for another instant, then he made a complex gesture of supplication and spun on his heel. Sig watched him stalk out with eyes narrowed in pleasure, wondering at what she had just done. Certainly this was more fun than disarming the whole planet, and maybe would keep things moving at the pace she liked. The endless petty disputes would be a lot simpler to solve with a single nuclear power.

On the other hand, she had just followed the advice of a human she'd known for ten minutes.

Silence stretched as she studied her for another moment, over the crystal edge of her cup. Abruptly she set it down with a clatter of metal, rolled upright on the lounge. Silk and gold slid over her plates as she stood, at her full height towering over the human woman. Very satisfying, if she was honest - Sig didn't tower over many Krin. Even after she'd descended the dias she was taller, ended up a few couple of feet away, inspecting the alien features more closely. They really were strange, these ones - like normal people who'd been slightly warped. Soft as un-plated children, eyes with a white ring. Without paint or other signs Sig still couldn't tell her caste, which was starting to become unnerving.

"Why were you late?" She asked eventually. "You don't strike me as a person who's late."

So nudging the princess's pride carefully was the right approach? It looks like humans and extra-terrestrials aren't that different after all, Katya thought with a small dose of amusement. Still, the revelation didn't particularly please her. She had learned something important today, but it also meant that her path to success would be a thorny one. The issue with poking someone's pride to get them to do your bidding was that sometimes, it could be very difficult to distinguish the line between the acceptable and the unacceptable. And since the unacceptable probably translated into death sentence in this case, Katya wanted to be very, very sure of its location.

She watched the princess and the general quietly, memorizing all the little details that could potentially be important later. So do they express dissatisfaction through absence of blinking or is this a personal quirk of his? Katya didn't have enough information to determine this right now, but what occupied her mind more than her current inability to read the Krin emotions was the general's anger. Surely he blamed her, not the princess. Shifting the accountability onto a foreigner always took precedence to holding your ruler responsible, doubly so if the said ruler could execute their subjects for treason when they felt like it. No matter how she looked at it, Katya was a good target. I will have to tread lightly when he's involved from now on.

The action, however, hadn't just created her new enemies. The president of the USA could put two and two together. She may have humiliated him in front of the princess, but he would know that whatever Katya had done led directly to the permission to keep nuclear weapons. He owed her a favor now. What did it mean within this new world order and when it would be safe to contact him, that much she didn't know. Collecting favors from powerful people could never hurt, though. Especially if it cost her exactly nothing, a fact which Katya strategically wouldn't mention.

The princess then began to scrutinize her in a similar way Katya had examined particularly interesting bugs back when she had been a kid. The comparison unnerved her slightly since she had usually proceeded to tear her test subjects to pieces. Oh come on, the princess is more reasonable than my childhood self. Even so, the deep stare of her black eyes irrationally made her feel naked. Let her look. She's... just curious. Right. Apparently she really was curious, at least judging by her next question.

Katya smiled again despite the nasty, powerless feeling clogging her throat. "Usually I am not. There were some problems with my attire. They have provided your traditional clothing, exalted princess, but I had to refuse because--" I didn't want to look like a clown- "they failed to provide instructions on how to wear it. I didn't want to disrespect your culture by wearing it in a wrong way, so I had to send them back for my old clothes," she lied quickly. The secret of appearing like the most trustworthy person in the room despite being the very opposite lay in being able to pick your battles. Katya could be very blunt, but she also knew when to lie through her teeth.

"Still, I am not opposed to wearing your attire once I am instructed on how to do so." The heat was slowly melting her former resistance to it. To hell with shame! "These patterns, for example. They look very intricate. Surely they mean something. Would exalted princess be as kind to inform me?"

The explanation had her leaning back slightly, head tilted in bafflement. "Ah."

She hadn't known how to use the paint? Did that mean she didn't have any symbols to use? Sig clicked amusement, raising a hand to smother the laugh. The woman had been trapped in her room by lack of paint.

But the question seemed to be confirmation, and Sig blinked back with wide eyes at her. First, that she had the nerve to ask, second that the question was necessary. Maybe she could see the paint after all, but had no idea what any of it meant. But... how did they tell anything about each other...?

"I may inform you when we have a few hours," Sig answered, when she found her voice.

There was something about the question that itched at her, though. A second later she relented, glancing down the ink-dark length of her body, the needle-fine paint. One gold-lacquered nail traced lazily across her collarbone, while she rattled off explanations. "Family crest, family crest, mourning for my great-uncle, an ancestor's conquering weapon, the worm-god's symbol." She paused on a bright shape, bristling with fins and scales. "The sleeping shark is for my homeworld, Khagash. It's a famous animal, very vicious and good sport. Maybe we should...?" she trailed off, staring at the ceiling, then waved off the idea in a clatter of bangles. "No, I expect they'd die in your freezing oceans."

The touring finger fell away, flicked dismissively.

"Mostly, though," she said, "it's fashion. You could have made a servant paint you." For a moment the black eyes flashed, narrowing in consideration. Then she eased back, slipping past her new adviser, towards the pool. "But, maybe I won't punish you, after all"

Warm water closed over her ankles, and instantly she was surrounded by fish, tentacled things, clawed things. Yawning, Sig waded further, eventually sank to lie on her back. The water was so hot, thick with salt, that she couldn't sink all the way. From her water-cushioned back she looked up at the human, eyes flitting up and down.

"What does your attire mean? I'm finding all the important ones wear this... What caste are you?"

It was abysmal manners to ask, but Sig could do as she liked. And she wanted to know - it was driving her crazy.

Katya had asked her mainly to deflect the princess's attention away from her misconduct, but her actual interest was piqued quickly. The whole invasion thing notwithstanding, the Krin looked like a fascinating species. The swirls of intricate patterns attracted her eyes and getting some context to them was very much appreciated. So there's indeed a meaning to them, she thought, leaning a bit closer to inspect the markings, but still keeping the distance respectful. "I see, I see. That's interesting." Katya rarely showered important people in compliments, mainly because they were already sick of them in her experience, and so she only stuck to less emotionally colored appraisals similar to this one. It made her appear more genuine, too.

"I shall keep that in mind for the next time," the diplomat bowed. Of course that it had occurred to her before, but feigning ignorance was the best strategy sometimes. 'Oops, I had no idea, sorry' could be surprisingly effective if said with some level of sophistication. Social creatures were hard-wired to accept submission, it seemed. "That would be very kind of you, exalted princess," Katya commented on the subject of her punishment. Her imagination ran wild with possible scenarios, each worse than the previous one, but she suppressed the thoughts. Visualizing the potential punishment would do her no good just like it would be pointless to beg for mercy. Nobody liked those eager to debase themselves out of fear. The princess was far more likely to forgive her if she proved to be an entertaining company.

Unsure of what to do, the diplomat stayed in place while the princess made herself comfortable in her pool. Oh, the pool. How tempting it looked, how sweetly it called out to her! The only consolation was that the water's temperature probably exceeded that of air in this room, but the 'water = refreshing' association still lingered in her mind despite knowing better.

"Caste?" Katya frowned, thankful for the distraction from her condition. "We do not have castes. The concept does exist in some provinces, though they are in the minority and my home doesn't belong among those places. Theoretically, humans are equal irrespective of their heritage. Theoretically being the key word here, of course." The smile on her face grew slightly sarcastic with that. "It's easier to have a good life if you're born into wealth. Still, the possibility to climb the social ladder is there if you are skillful enough and that is what matters."

Katya proceeded to tug on her sleeve lightly. "And this? This is what we call a pantsuit. It doesn't mean anything in particular, it's just... something that we decided looks professional. I suppose that one reason might be that it is designed to be slightly uncomfortable, just enough to keep you on your toes. People don't wear it unless they wish to make a good impression."

All that talking made her mouth dry. And not just that, it was getting slightly difficult to breathe, too. The blonde staggered before she leaned against the wall for support, blinking to dispel stars in front of her eyes. "My apologies, exalted princess. I'm still getting used to this environment. Nevertheless, you mentioned castes. If I may be so bold to ask, what exactly is my position in relation to them when I exist outside of the system? I know to show my utmost respect to you, but how should I treat members of other castes? And should I invent my own symbols?" Katya pushed herself. Something as trivial as heat wouldn't break her resolve.

Last edited:
No caste? Sig's eyes had widened, somewhere between fascination and horror. She should have guessed, maybe, but this wasn't something that her brain wanted to deal with. Nor could she understand what Ekaterina meant by 'equal'. It sounded like they weren't equal, really, but merely had some kind of obscure and ill-tended system of dividing people. Thankfully she had moved on already to describing the 'pantsuit', which Sig studied with slightly more interest than before. It did look stiff... though the idea of discomfort being for higher-ranked people also confused her.

But the envoy was lurching, now, her pale face growing even paler. Perhaps this overheating was desirable, a show of strength - Sig let her have it. Her eyes fluttered closed, as she float on the billowy heat of the pool. Of course, the adviser had to make it harder again. The next question broached her relaxation, dragged her back kicking and screaming towards the problem. Her mouth twisted in agony.

"No castes. Gods, what a bother," she mumbled, petulant. Then she had to pause, considering the implications. It quickly spiralled into a nightmarish tangle of ritual and history. "Perhaps you are lower than than Ur," she said, hesitant, "being caste-less, and not even Krin. But if that is true I certainly cannot talk with you directly. And you would sully my floor with your feet."

This was a problem she'd heard about, with colonies, but had never had to deal with herself - getting things done with savages that had no useful divisions of people. So far she'd been treating the leaders as if they were of one of the servant castes, vaguely somewhere in that category. On the street, the soldiers treated humans as Ur - the lowest of the low. They could look at them, speak to them. Curtly. Beat them, too, if they felt like getting their hands dirty.

If there was no actual barrier between Nazarova and those low creatures it made things difficult. Sig waved her fingers through the water, batted away a tentacle poking at her neck.

"Make yourself a symbol and title," she decided, abruptly. "Give the same one to the president, why not. Someone has to make a caste for you."

But now she was fraught with the idea of placing the human-ruler-caste relative to everyone else. Utterly painful - any rung too high would anger her own race, any too low would make it difficult to even talk with them.

Eventually she snarled, thrashing the vibrant fish away as she rolled upright again. Hot water sluiced off her black flanks, taking loose flecks of gold. She glared around the walls, searching the people arrayed there. Eventually something clicked, or at least felt less violently inappropriate. Sig pointed at a man marked with crude Ka-ur filigree. He froze instantly, eyes going wide. But she only moved on, indicated another.

"You're between this one and this one." She said, almost purring now in grim satisfaction. "They will explain to you- are you sick?"

Hot red spots had erupted on the human's white cheeks, and Sig squinted at her in curiosity.

The academic within her found it downright fascinating how much the princess resented the absence of castes. She almost seemed to be mortally insulted by the way her society worked. It made sense, Katya supposed. When you were used to having a neat shortcut to determining a person's value, taking it away and replacing it with something much fuzzier must have been confusing. Katya could even see some merit in the Krin system, as cruel as it looked from the outside. Nurture shaped the man, after all, and being raised in a certain way increased the likelihood of inheriting desirable traits. Each society needed their leaders, too. It was indefensible from the modern human's perspective, of course, but that didn't exactly mean much considering that their noble philosophy hadn't saved them from being utterly destroyed.

The academic within her was currently being overshadowed by her desperate efforts not to pass out, though, so Katya didn't feel like having a debate on ethics. She didn't feel like listening to the petulant princess, either, though her sense of self-preservation didn't let the annoyance bleed into her words. "I am deeply sorry for being born without a convenient label, exalted princess. I understand how hard it must be for you." Okay, maybe her sense of self-preservation wasn't working, but at least she didn't sound too sarcastic. Surely the princess wouldn't be able to pick up on it? Was being passive-aggressive even a thing in their culture? Katya prayed that it wasn't.

Still, to the princess's credit, she actually tried her hardest to accommodate her. The diplomat could practically see the cogs turning in her head as she wracked her brain for answers, attempting to categorize the uncategorizable. It must be difficult to squeeze a new class in such a rigid system. These things tended to endure whole centuries without a single change.

"Very well, I will do my best to design an appropriate caste," Katya dug her nails deep in her palms. Pain often helped her to sharpen her concentration. Apparently not in this case, though, since she could feel her consciousness slipping. When even the princess noticed, it was probably time to stop pretending. Not that she had much of a choice.

"A bit," Katya admitted weakly. "Now excuse me," the blonde managed to get out before her knees finally gave in and she collapsed. Well, nobody could accuse her of not trying to faint in a polite manner, that much was certain.

If Sig hadn't been so dangerous, so very far above Ekaterina's new-minted caste, she might have thought that the reaction was sarcastic. The guards around the room thought so too, perking slightly, yellow eyes fixing on the adviser.

But they needn't have worried.

Sig made a muffled yelp of surprise as the woman slumped, then covered her mouth delicately with one hand. After an instant of stupefied blinking she rounded on the nearest servant, who had just been made the human's inferior. "Don't just stand there," she snapped. The woman jumped, and after in no time the adviser was was being carried out, fanned, as someone tried to press a cold glass of water into her pale hand.

The princess, meanwhile, had slowly receded into her pool, feeling shark-like herself. What an interesting day, what a strange species. Obviously she'd misjudged how cold they needed to be... but the woman had hidden it fairly well. After a while of such musing Sig yawned, rolling on her back in the water. Sleep closed over her, pleasantly hot and smelling of sea water.

----

Somehow she wanted advice again, or maybe just to see whether her little caste experiment had survived the night. Either way, as she stalked onto the landing pad she caught sight of her adviser being ushered out one of the opposite doors. Sig brightened, tilted her jeweled head to peer under the engine of the harp-craft.

"You look much better," she said, based on absolutely nothing.

Nazarova was still very pink, but she was conscious and not staggering about. It seemed Sig's ignorance and the woman's stoicism hadn't killed her after all.

"Wonderful! Well, this time you get your own miserable atmosphere, and I shall suffer it."

It was joking, but there was a hint of a real pout under her voice. This high above the ground and a cold wind cut through the filmy silk she wore over her chest. It did nothing to help the chill, and wastefully covered her paint. The same symbols were embroidered in, but it was hardly the same.

The sun flashed off a harp-ring as it revved up, the machine turning the air inside into an electric-blue lens, warping the sky behind. "I'm touring the colony," Sig yelled, over the sudden hum in the air around them. "You can tell me whether they're integrating, that sort of thing."

Another day, another opportunity to humiliate myself, Katya thought sarcastically. Or at least she hoped that it was sarcasm and not some newfound form of pessimism. The former could be used as a powerful coping tool while the latter served as a crutch for the incompetent to support them under the constant onslaught of personal failures. It would be a little dramatic to develop such a mindset, especially since she hadn't even failed yesterday. Passing out hadn't been the ideal way to end the conversation between her and the princess, granted, but overall it could be considered a success. Easily an eight out of ten. Not a bad score for her first time despite the obvious room for improvement.

The princess apparently didn't mind the display of weakness, either, at least judging by the fact that her presence had been requested. Speaking of which... "I am ready," she announced to one of the maids, "take me to the exalted princess." It wasn't her style to be late twice in a row without a good reason and since only death could excuse a transgression like that, Katya had to hurry. I wonder what her plans for today are. Indeed, that was quite a mystery. Yesterday's experience made her quite eager to try wearing that body paint, but they had informed her that 'it would be unwise as of now.' Begging for a straight answer didn't seem worthy of her status, so she had simply chosen to wait. The waiting was about to pay off now.

"The exalted princess is too kind," Katya bowed, choosing not to look for jabs potentially hidden in the compliment. Even if she had meant to emphasize the unfortunate incident, acknowledging it had exactly zero advantages. Besides, there were better things to focus on, like the prospect of standing on solid ground again. It brought a smile to her face, the first genuine one since meeting the princess.

"We have a saying for occasions such as these in my province, exalted princess. It goes like: 'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.' You shall be much stronger by the time you're done with this tour." And the same went for her, although for reasons other than climate. A bizarre looking alien with no understanding of human behavior interacting with the conquered masses? Without any preparation whatsoever? This was a public relations nightmare. Katya would prefer to lock her up in her throne room with a book on etiquette before letting her anywhere near a potentially murderous mob, but things didn't work like that. Sadly. No, she had to be subtler.

"Certainly, exalted princess. This should be a fine opportunity to introduce yourself to your subjects. Humans love their symbols and a sovereign is widely seen as one. If you make a good impression, the transition to the new order will be that much smoother." All true, except that Katya doubted her ability to actually pull if off. "Have you come up with your introduction speech? If so, it might be a good idea to let me hear it beforehand. Humans..." will get mad if you insult them like I suspect you to "...might find it difficult to understand the nuances of your expressions, exalted princess. I could help you with getting your intentions across." The best damage control always began before the actual damage.

Last edited:
The saying impressed her, had her beaming as she clattered up the steps into the cabin. Inside a flush of heat closed around them again, and she relaxed instantly, sighing.

"What a stoic attitude," she marvelled, fixing the human in a curious stare. "It's certainly untrue in most cases, but has a good sound to it."

Although it was a military craft, the interior had been fit out as appropriate to Sig's rank. Accordingly she sank down into a plush lounge, waved the adviser to one on the opposite wall. As the last of the soldiers leapt up to stand in the doorway, the hum built to a nauseous whine rattling in her ears. An instant later, though, there was a soft pop like a soap bubble, and the inertia field swallowed the ship in a glowing rainbow. All sound from outside disappeared, including their own engines. They lifted smoothly from the pad, and after a faint tilt in the floor the clouds outside turned to a blur. This was the fastest way to travel in-atmosphere, but it did ruin the view.

"Speech?" the princess blinked, toyed with the embroidered edge of a cushion.

"I don't know that that's necessary, Ekaterina. It'll be a simple thing. I only have to explain that Earth is now an outpost of the exalted Krin Dominion, and that it's people are my subjects. Accordingly, they will benefit form the wealth of the empire's culture, and the superior protection of our fleet. All we ask is that they assimilate graciously, and surrender some minor barbaric traditions."

Gems flashed as she stretched, cat-like, looking up from her sprawl with eyes narrowed to slits.

"Why? Do you foresee a problem?"

Katya proceeded to sit down where the princess wanted her to, doing her best to suppress her unhappy expression. She hated this type of traveling. It was fast, yes, and also more comfortable than being stuck in a comparatively tiny car for hours. Logically it shouldn't bother her at all. Emotions were rarely logically consistent, though, and the darkness swallowing them like that made her feel slightly nauseous. Back in the pre-invasion days, Katya had been secretly terrified of planes. And this? This was like planes version 2.0 with even more reasons to be afraid. Good thing that there were more pressing matters distracting her from her current predicament. The princess's disastrous speech certainly counted as one of them.

Whether I foresee a problem? God, they aren't paying me nearly enough for this. They actually weren't paying her at all if you insisted on technicalities, but she wasn't a fan of materialism anyway. Other advantages born from this arrangement mattered more. Advantages which would be lost if the princess compromised her position. Katya took a sharp breath.

"Exalted princess, my opinion is that you are too honest. A commendable quality for sure, but humans are used to being lied to. They expect it from their politicians and so they crave it subconsciously. Some truths are difficult to accept, so why not sweeten them a bit?" She crossed her legs and smiled at the princess before continuing. "I'm not suggesting to lie through your teeth, no, merely... Express yourself differently. In a way that makes your enlightened rule seem more appealing. Outpost is an ugly word even if it's factually correct, for example. I'd choose 'a part of our dominion' instead. A small difference, wouldn't you agree? But it will make them much happier and happy subjects are obedient subjects."

Katya rubbed her chin in a thoughtful gesture. "The protection part is very good, perhaps even vital. Getting rid of barbaric traditions, on the other hand... Humans are fickle creatures, exalted princess. I'm not sure whether they'd react positively to being branded as barbarians. It might be wise of exalted princess to speak of accepting new, better traditions instead of forsaking the old ones. Again, essentially it's the same thing. If you don't mind me asking, do you have an idea of which barbaric traditions you'd like to destroy?"

Katya prayed that they were silly things like wearing hats and not, say, dissolution of the traditional family unit. That could be a problem.

Last edited:
Sig was staring openly now in confusion - she had expected the human to agree with her plan. Instead she was finding out that she was 'too honest' for human politics. But she was listening at least - so far Ekaterina's advice had been very interesting. Some of it she could accept - after all, maybe being an 'outpost' did sound a little dull. Everyone wanted to be a hero of the galaxy.

"Lie through my teeth," she mumbled, tasting the quaint phrasing. Then she licked the point of one sharp canine, experimental. Maybe she could use some of these suggestions - they sounded nice enough. Definitely not a huge effort on her part.

"Hm? Oh. Better traditions, certainly." She brightened, relaxing again into her chair. "Well, first is that habit of raising children in religions." Feeling some sort of premonition, she waved a jewelled hand - wait. "Of course we have religions, and I should think we'll take some of yours too. Some Ur will believe anything. But you can't go around installing them in your children anymore."

Now she was musing on it, trying to recall what she'd thought of over the last couple of weeks. "Also, marriage is rather... contractual, on this planet. State-enforced. We did away with that sort of thing at the same time as slavery - I'm not sure how it survived here."

Sig beckoned an attendant, accepted a cup of near-frozen fruit juice from the tray he was holding. Then she gently waved him over to the adviser - the cabin was rather warm, and there was no use making the same mistake again. She only went on once the woman had accepted the drink. "Frankly it's a mess. Men and women legally obligated in bizarre ways, receiving obscure state-sanctioned benefits. Same-sex pairs not allowed to marry at all, for some reason."

She flicked a palp in dismissive horror, like shaking the thought out of her head. "Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. Apart from all the killing and maiming. That's out as well."

Katya stared at the princess with badly concealed horror. Apparently even her pokerface had its limits, such as not being able to endure the vision of a collapsing society. Wishing it contained something more high gravity than mere juice, Katya grabbed her cup and drank all of it in one gulp. I really miss vodka now. Getting in touch with the Russian side of her heritage was something she only did rarely, but it had helped her overcome some of the hardest challenges in her life. It certainly wouldn't help now, though.

Who would have thought that my choice of career would lead to helping an alien establish what sounds suspiciously like a leftist utopia? Now Katya didn't actually mind most of the proposed ideas. Some of their traditions indeed were backwards and deserved to be a part of ancient history. Drastic changes implemented too fast tended to incite backlash, though, doubly so if the instigator of the change was a foreigner. An actual alien would likely inspire even greater revolt. Then again, the princess had an unprecedented military might at her disposal. The situation was quite different from the standard scenario of a single country being conquered, colonized and forced to accept foreign customs. Perhaps the reforms could survive despite their radical nature. It would require a lot of careful planning and finesse, but maybe it wasn't entirely impossible. Or at least Katya tried to believe so.

"Ah. Well, those are some radical ideas, exalted princess. Good ideas in my opinion, and very large in scope. The ambitiousness is a double edged sword, though. May I suggest not disclosing the details to the population until an actual plan is crafted?" No, not even Katya could make this sound acceptable to the common Joe without hours of contemplation. Right now she could only minimise the damage. "It might be good to inform certain provincial rulers of your intentions during a private meeting, for example the president of the USA, but masses are only interested in empty-sounding promises anyway." Yes, they should definitely involve the president. Let him struggle with this craziness, too. With some luck, Katya would be able to shift some blame on him and make him appear guilty in the public eye.

A spark of curiosity appeared in her eyes after that statement, though. "Exalted princess, if I may be so bold, how does marriage function in your culture? What you said about our way of doing things is true, and that's mostly because marriage is a contract with a state at its core. Couples receive benefits in order to support population growth, which is one reason why same sex couples don't enjoy the same privileges. The sentiment has been changing in some provinces, by the way, and there are places where such unions aren't forbidden anymore, but that's beside the point. What's the purpose of a marriage if you get nothing out of it? No sense of stability, no support?" Maybe she was too blinded by her own cultural norms, but Katya really saw no point to it.

"And how would you ensure that religious views aren't pushed on children? Even if parents do not explicitly teach them about it, they will still grow up in an environment where one religion is clearly favoured. Children learn by imitation, exalted princess."

Radical ideas? Sig was struggling, staring back in concern as the other explained her various problems. This was rapidly becoming difficult, when it should have been something obvious, even to these people. Did she really want to do this behind closed doors? They were so close - the soft blink of their position on a monitor let her know they were minutes away from the US base.

The question derailed Sig's thoughts again, and she gulped the rest of the drink before she spoke, trying to think.

"Marriage?" she said, distracted. "I suppose we were like you, once. Legal trappings. But your monogamy makes it more... practical? Just try to make laws when a man has ten wives and three husbands, like exalted Ith ben Iethwe. It's a nightmare. Now marriage is just-" she waved her hand, struggling. "Just... another type of party you can inflict on your family. A nice thing to say - 'Hello, beloved wife.' Population growth, we've always found, takes care of itself."

Suddenly her eyes widened in concern. "Will humans stop having sex?" she mumbled, then paused to cover her mouth. But they had already moved on from that bizarre thought - Sig had no desire to neuter a species.

"Well, children are banned from temples, and you can't proselytize and so on-" she was trailing off, running uncomfortably up against the facts of the matter. Her palps folded, and so did her arm.

"I'll admit," she said, eventually, "it doesn't work perfectly." She cast around the cabin, settled on one man standing at at attention near the pilot's cabin. "Teasha, why do you worship that Uthish moon-god?"

"Your... your highness?"

The soldier was floundering, glancing around the cabin like he might find a way out. All he got was Sig's black stare. "I - I uh - exalted princess." The stubble of his crest was slowly fluffing in embarrassment. "I was born on Uth, and Great Urak takes up the whole sky all day. You feel His pull. The temple music is very beautiful when you walk past at night."

"But no-one indoctrinated you?"

"No, highness."

Sig gestured gratitude, and the soldier backed stiffly away as far as the cabin would allow, gazing fixedly at the wall behind her head. The princess turned back to Ekaterina. "You see? He loves a god worshipped by mire-pool fishing Uthyany, a tide-god of a single planet. Not even the Worm or another Krin spirit. The music was good." She held out her arms, like this proved something important.

Last edited:
"I see," Katya nodded, "that does sound complicated. I would like to point out, though, that there are provinces which practice what is essentially a polygamy and their marriage laws are usually even more rigid. Exalted princess, this might be a concept foreign to your people, but our customs differ wildly from place to place even if geographic distance between them isn't that large. This is why implementing a universal change can be..." Impossible? Insane? An incredibly naive way of thinking? "... a challenge," she settled for a more diplomatic expression.

"People of certain provinces do not care for religion much, so they likely wouldn't be opposed to your reform. It's what they're doing anyway, except that it isn't compulsory yet. Religion is the very center of their lives for other people, though, and these people will think that you are trying to corrupt their children. And then there are those standing somewhere in between. I am not a believer, exalted princess, which is why I am able to discuss this with you calmly. This is not a perspective that everyone has, though." Based on where you ask this question, it can be a very rare perspective.

Still, the princess was actually listening to her. More than that, it seemed like she genuinely tried to understand. Perhaps they could find a way together, or build one with the princess's power and her understanding. "I would propose dividing the reform in smaller steps and executing them based on how the population of each province is likely to react. Some of the steps are going to be painful no matter what, but it might help letting them get used to it. Like boiling a frog. Have you heard about that comparison, exalted princess?"

Katya smiled, but it wasn't a pretty smile this time. If one had to compare it to anything, the best thing would be a shark shortly before attacking its victim. "If you increase the temperature too fast, the frog will jump out. But if you do it gradually, the animal won't notice until it's dead. It's the same principle, really."

The conversation had been very serious so far, which was probably why the sudden shift in tone got to her. Humans not having sex? The absurdity of such a concern, the princess's genuine fear, the stress from this entire situation-- it was all too much. Katya tilted her head aside and laughed and laughed until her shoulders shook. Damn, how long had it been since she had laughed this freely? It surely felt good. "No, exalted princess, they wouldn't stop even if you begged them to. Trust me on this," the diplomat finally calmed down. "It's just that many find it more desirable to have a family with some incentive. Like those state-sanctioned benefits you've mentioned earlier."

The explanation of the soldier's belief was rewarded with Katya's full attention. "Yes, that's very... profound. But can you say that his environment hasn't influenced him at all? Would he still believe in the same god if he didn't grow up on that planet, if his parents and friends believed in something else? Where does indoctrination start? Is it really as clear cut as preaching? My issue is, exalted princess, that laws of this type are almost impossible to enforce. I see your point, though, and perhaps I am getting too philosophical," she admitted with a thoughtful frown.

"Do you believe in any gods?" Katya asked with a growing interest.

Last edited:
She had grown grim, mulling it over. Maybe they could do the slow boil - yes - but slow was the the operative word there. Why could her new subjects not simply obey? But the adviser's smile was convincing in itself, with how sharp it was. She found herself staring, coming to some kind of realisation about the nature of this woman. "What a vicious metaphor," she mumbled, fascinated.

It didn't last, though, and then she had to draw herself up, pouting, as Ekaterina laughed. Actually laughed. Sig blinked at her, as the concern dissolved instantly. Then she looked away, studiously checked her nails. To do otherwise would mean punishing the advisers insolence, which would mean ending the conversation. She'd been enjoying herself. "I'm relieved," she said, finally, when the human had got control of herself. She hid the edge of her own smile behind a black glare. "Sex is important - I'm not a monster. But I can see why some would want the... safety."

As to the next questions, she didn't know, and quickly found herself confused again. Surely no law was perfect, or perfectly enforceable. But of course the adviser was right as well - you couldn't follow a religion you weren't exposed to. Maybe the human attitude was simply different from the Krin method, which she'd heard called the 'buffet-table' model of spirituality. She was musing on it, sipping her drink, when the final question made her nearly choke on it.

When had this woman got the idea that she could pry into the princess' affairs? And why was Sig only halfway angry? The rest of her was groping for an answer, frustrated, and strangely hesitant. The human was an atheist.

Eventually Sig flashed her palps, a shadow under silk, and extended one painted arm. There she indicated a twisted, braided symbol curving the full way around her wrist. If you followed it carefully enough, the lines eventually linked back - no beginning or end.

"The Infinite Worm," she said, in explanation. "I see It when I'm on a ship splitting the fold. So do many others." Her eyes narrowed, and she waved again at her example soldier. "Teasha doesn't see It, or maybe he thinks it's a hallucination." Suddenly she felt a little bad for dragging him into this - he was trying to hide behind his rifle, melt into the wall.

Sig stretched out again, languid, but watched the human with unusually sharp focus as she did. "Either way," she went on, "if the Worm is outside of space-time It's everywhere at once. Best to say nice things."

Katya's eyes followed the symbol painted on the princess's arm, her expression almost uncharacteristically soft. "I guess that I would have to see for myself to truly understand," she offered her perspective after a second of speculation. And really, who knew? It could be a hallucination like Teasha apparently thought, it could be some ancient creature beyond their comprehension and it could even be an organism that fit the criteria for a god. This universe was full of mysteries. The last option seemed highly improbable to her, but she had also thought that aliens were just a concept from scifi novels before they had showed up to conquer her planet. Clearly Katya didn't have a patent on being right.

The theological discussion was interesting for sure, but sadly the opportunity for indulging in it had already passed. The sound of the previously muted engines breaching the comfortable silence could only mean one thing. They were preparing for a landing. For the first time since she had been chosen to become the princess's adviser, Katya's feet would touch solid ground. What was more, it would be her native soil. Katya gripped her armrest, half in anticipation and half in fear. A part of her found solace in the fact that she had written her last will years ago, but the alien technology didn't fail them. Of course it didn't. Though universe would at least prove that it has a sense of humor if the alien ruler died thanks to the very same thing that allowed them to conquer us in the first place.

"May I offer one last piece of advice, exalted princess?" Katya asked her before they got on the ramp. "Try smiling. Not excessively, do not show teeth if possible. Humans rely on facial expressions during communication more than they're aware of themselves. If you look to be friendly, they will be more receptive to whatever you're going to say." Unless you are about to announce your grand plan to throw more than two thousands years of our culture to the dumpster. The princess seemed to be receptive to her advice so far, but Katya knew better than anyone that appearing to agree with a certain course of action meant nothing until you went through with it. She had used the 'nod, smile and proceed to do whatever you want anyway' strategy numerous times herself.

The princess doesn't actually have a reason to hide her intentions from me, though, right? It's not like I can stop her no matter what she chooses to do, Katya tried to convince herself that everything would work out as she stepped outside. It was almost easy to actually believe it when the cold, fresh air filled her lungs. Washington, D.C. looked the same as always, a beacon of familiarity in these turbulent times. Well, except for the Krin soldiers stationed everywhere to ensure their princess's safety, but expecting them not to be here would have been foolish anyway.

"Exalted princess," president Jonathan O'Leary bowed so deeply that he could inspect his own shoes in detail, "it is my pleasure to welcome you in The United States of America. Would you like to say a few words to the people that have gathered here to greet you?"

The crowd behind the security barrier was rather sizable, but strangely quiet. To Katya, most of them gave the impression of being absolutely terrified.

Her scanning for the human's reaction went strangely rewarded - Ekaterina didn't seem to be judging her. Sig blinked gave a small tilt of her head in assent, as she folded her arms again. But they were already slicing down through the clouds, and in another half-second they'd touched down in a wild tornado of dirt.

As she clattered down the ramp Sig shivered once in the miserable wind. Then she glanced sidelong, found the woman looking at her with one of those unreadable alien expressions. At the suggestion she did smile, baring jagged teeth in a wild grin. Humans liked false friendliness from their leaders? How odd. But, Ekaterina had been very interesting so far.

"Very well," she said, traipsing ahead on long legs. "Let's boil a frog." Around her the swarm of guards and attendants cleared the path, fixed the president in suspicious stares. Other soldiers were already scanning the crowd. What was left of their crests flared - high alert. Though they didn't raise their weapons it was clear they felt the eyes on them. Several hundred humans, utterly focused. Quiet.

The presidents question and bow was met with a bare glance - Sig's eyes flashed up and down once. "Yes."

Abruptly she slid past, ascending to a cold marble platform in a rattle of jewelry, silk fluttering around her. There was a podium further back, which she ignored. Instead she strode to the very edge, as her guard detail formed a wall of armor and weaponry between her and the crowd. The nearest humans were shrinking back, staring openly at the blank faces of the soldiers.

"People of Earth," she began, something like a faint smile starting behind the translucent silk of her veil. A palp twitched at the strange expression, furled back against her cheek. "I am Third-princess Siginwe den Tir Arroy. Your princess, the ruler of this planet."

Her voice boomed - a needle-sized drone had floated in front of her, doing the work of amplifying her voice. But even if she hadn't had it, the dead silence would have been enough. This was difficult - Sig paused, trying to remember the advice. Something about not being an outpost? What a pain.

"I imagine this is worrying for some of you," she went on, uncharacteristically measured. "However you have nothing to fear. Worlds favoured by inclusion in the Krin Dominion prosper, and now you shall as well. Soon you will benefit from glorious wealth of the empire, technologies that would have taken hundreds of years for you to develop. And we will defend this world with the most powerful fleet in the galaxy. I don't mind saying, you have been very lucky to avoid attack until now. And you are lucky furthermore that we arrived first."

Sig had relaxed into one hip, gesturing languid as her eyes flit over the crowd. "But luck is no longer needed. All we ask is your cooperation during this transition, as I discuss the changes necessary with your leaders. When I am done the Earth will be a hub world of the Dominion, a beacon."

The crowd had grown restless, swaying as the In some sense she was not permitted to talk to these Ur, but realistically, all public addresses were like this. Still, she bristled as a voice rose, low and sharp. Near the front.

"What changes?" The young man yelled, leaning against the barrier.

Instantly the closest soldiers had their weapons raised, crackling with energy shielding. The first two words out of a Krin mouth were untranslatable Karak dialect, something like 'you curr', but the next came out fine in filtered English: "speak again to the princess, if you want a charge-bolt-"

Sig broke in, smiling. "All will be done for the common good," she said, easy, glancing aside to find Ekaterina. This felt slippery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back